Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Are fully upgraded Greensteel weapons worth the grind these days?

Basically all said in the title, with so much new content and weapons from the various raids are GS weapons still worth making? I am asking because I really want to make a Lit2 Greataxe for my TR toon for on his journey to completionist, from level 12-20 I can't seem to find anything that beats them though not fully looked through the Cannith Challenge stuff yet.

While on the topic are these even viable at end game anymore?

Thoughts and comments welcome folks!

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Basically all said in the title, with so much new content and weapons from the various raids are GS weapons still worth making? I am asking because I really want to make a Lit2 Greataxe for my TR toon for on his journey to completionist, from level 12-20 I can't seem to find anything that beats them though not fully looked through the Cannith Challenge stuff yet.

While on the topic are these even viable at end game anymore?

Thoughts and comments welcome folks!

Stoner81.

If you are doing many TRs then yes it is worth making. Also make a pos3 maul.
    If possible a Min2 or air3 HP item would be helpful.
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

LitII are fine for TRing, there's not a lot that can match them. If you're doing multiple TRs, just go ahead and make one.

Cloudburst from Reaver's Fate is as good or better 2HF than LitII when fighting groups, and if you happen to have it and a seal already it's a lot cheaper than the 3Mpp+ a dual-shard GS costs.

Deathnip beats GS for 2WF piercing, Envenomed Blade is probably better in a lot of circumstances too. Enduring Conviction is better slashing.

Unwavering Ardency from Abbot beats a GS bow.

GS weapons garbage at 20+. GS HP or SP accessory is still fine of course.

Thanks for the input chaps, I certainly want to make a HP item I am thinking belt since on all my lives/toons this is always for CON items so I am hoping I can fill it with CON from a GS plus the extra hit points though I have no idea if this is even possible. I had a thought about a triple positive maul since I am doing many lives would a quarter staff be better since these can be used by all classes without the need for splashing/feats for proficiency?

Stoner81.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I still use my gs weapons on a lot of toons at endgame. Not 100% f the time, I swap weapon around a lot depending on what I'm messing with, but they never became useless. And I second the pos maul dude, fabulous skelly beater with a res clickie for emergencies!
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

There are better weapons in game then the Lit2, wasn't it?

Anyway, at level 20 there probably are.

If you go that route, try and find something to craft that isn't found anywhere else.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

At level 20 and over I am sure there are things much better but I am talking just for TR purposes so only level 1-20 and maybe some epic stuff just to fill out a single destiny each life or something but that would be about it really.

Looking at a Air3 HP belt atm just trying to figure out the planner I am using LOL man this is confusing but fun!

Stoner81.

Community Member

Default Yes.

Because you may want to TR at some point.
    But I'm still using my Lit2 Khopesh on my lvl 25 fighter. Have not found anything better yet.

If you TR a lot then absolutely.

There's better level 20+ stuff but nothing beats them at level 12-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Looking at a Air3 HP belt atm just trying to figure out the planner I am using LOL man this is confusing but fun!
    If I may suggest, consider the Smoke (air/fire) HP belt. Purmablur + a displace clicky is very handy. Your idea of a trip-posi Qstaff is spot on. A little less dmg than a maul, but universal proficiency across the classes is great for TRing.

On a GS unrelated note: augment slots are your friend! While leveling, watch for the previously useless stuff. Many a lowby named item now has a slot or two and can make gearing (twinking) out your TR much easier.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    If I may suggest, consider the Smoke (air/fire) HP belt. Purmablur + a displace clicky is very handy. Your idea of a trip-posi Qstaff is spot on. A little less dmg than a maul, but universal proficiency across the classes is great for TRing.

On a GS unrelated note: augment slots are your friend! While leveling, watch for the previously useless stuff. Many a lowby named item now has a slot or two and can make gearing (twinking) out your TR much easier.
    This. Most other GS items are now covered by lootgen/augments. But Smoke and clickie are always great

Your idea of a trip-posi Qstaff is spot on. A little less dmg than a maul, but universal proficiency across the classes is great for TRing.
    Just one little tip: Use an Adamantine Ritual on it. Otherwise it will break after about 10 minutes of questing. Raising it base durability to 20 is enough for it to last as much as any other normal ML 12 weapon.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

I'm going to go and get myself in trouble here, but no. I'm not sure they are worth the grind. But that answer is dependent on several factors.
    1) Do you already have a ****-ton of shroud ingredients and all you need is the shards?
    If yes, then go ahead and make a weapon. You can probably get shards easy by asking for them in a couple of shroud runs that won't take too much time out of your TR schedule.
    2) Are you planning on doing multiple past lives for a good reason?
    Past lives require an incredible amount of xp grind for increasingly less net benefit with the change to end-game. The caster perks are still very useful, everything else is kind of meh. Of course if you're going for completionist for the sense of accomplishment that is onemeaningful reason or if you really enjoy the leveling game that is another good reason.

For the new player (DDO still gets new players?) who just wants to TR for a change of pace and wants to do it now, I honestly think there are alternatives that, while not as good as greensteel are stilll more than enough for leveling. After all, you don't need to uber-kill a mob to survive in leveling. For example, a person could get the Carnifex and and Great Axe of the Chained Soldier with minimal effort, and while not be stellar they wouldn't be sucktacular. And that is just limiting it to great-axes. On top of that, if you're looking at the end game environment the greensteel weapons are just completely outclassed in terms of investment to benefit. So, if you're on a limited ingredient/time budget then the GS items for HP / SP are a more meaningful investment than weapons because they can't be substituted for by 'adequate' replacements.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    I'm going to go and get myself in trouble here, but no. I'm not sure they are worth the grind. But that answer is dependent on several factors.
    *SNIP*.
    Can't really argue that.

EXCEPT...for the braggin rights, and the oooh's and aaaah's you get when showing it off. ;p

For TR purposes, the weapons are still quite nice. Triple earth and triple fire are both nice single shard options. I'm not sure if they were mentioned yet, but they're great if you want to save on mats.

Personally I've just been using an Elemental Greataxe of Fire from the Cannith challenges. It's not quite greensteel, but it serves a couple specific purposes while leveling. At level 10 it makes a great vampire beater for Shadow Crypt if I'm not on a caster life. At level 16 I just make a holy/bleed version (from the lv 12 weapon with masterful craftsmanship) to use until cap.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I like the sound of perma blur and a Displace clicky, on my current life I have a Barbarian who can cast both Blur and Displace thanks to Bard levels and the amount of damage they stop is not even funny! As for the staff yeah that was what I was thinking be real handy for Necropolis when combined with Ethreal Bracers or something

1) Do you already have a ****-ton of shroud ingredients and all you need is the shards?
    If yes, then go ahead and make a weapon. You can probably get shards easy by asking for them in a couple of shroud runs that won't take too much time out of your TR schedule.
    Past lives require an incredible amount of xp grind for increasingly less net benefit with the change to end-game. The caster perks are still very useful, everything else is kind of meh. Of course if you're going for completionist for the sense of accomplishment that is onemeaningful reason or if you really enjoy the leveling game that is another good reason.

For the new player (DDO still gets new players?) who just wants to TR for a change of pace and wants to do it now, I honestly think there are alternatives that, while not as good as greensteel are stilll more than enough for leveling. After all, you don't need to uber-kill a mob to survive in leveling. For example, a person could get the Carnifex and and Great Axe of the Chained Soldier with minimal effort, and while not be stellar they wouldn't be sucktacular. And that is just limiting it to great-axes. On top of that, if you're looking at the end game environment the greensteel weapons are just completely outclassed in terms of investment to benefit. So, if you're on a limited ingredient/time budget then the GS items for HP / SP are a more meaningful investment than weapons because they can't be substituted for by 'adequate' replacements.
    To be honest you have some damn good points here I must admit, I have the Carnifex already which is just superb but at level 12 it is starting to show where it lacks which is damage output (at least for me on the current life which I think I have done wrong but anyway), I have done nearly 10 Shroud runs with another character and yes I know I need to do them with the TR toon to get the power shards which isn't an issue (I really like the raid for some weird reason hey ho) and once I get this life up to about 20 I won't TR straight away and start working on 20 Shroud completions, epic destiny filling and then TR since I need to grind the tokens for the heart of wood. I plan on doing 3x past lives for each class just because I want to more than anything and I find many of them appealing for various reasons, time isn't an issue either already been playing a year and don't see me stopping anytime soon

Stoner81.

Do not forget turbine points. Easy to get when TR'ing. :-)

Yes I grind coffee and TP.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    LitII are fine for TRing, there's not a lot that can match them. If you're doing multiple TRs, just go ahead and make one.

Cloudburst from Reaver's Fate is as good or better 2HF than LitII when fighting groups, and if you happen to have it and a seal already it's a lot cheaper than the 3Mpp+ a dual-shard GS costs.

Deathnip beats GS for 2WF piercing, Envenomed Blade is probably better in a lot of circumstances too. Enduring Conviction is better slashing.

Unwavering Ardency from Abbot beats a GS bow.

Enduring Conviction may be better than a lit II against chaotic evil outsiders. That's about it.

The minimum level of 16 for the Envenomed Blade should eliminate it from being compared to a min lvl 12 item, but even if you want to compare a weapon you can't use on a TR until four levels later, it loses in a big way in the DPS department. Paralyzing is nice though.

If you have already done a couple TRs and think you are going to do a lot more, absolutely make a GS. Just understand that a lot of people plan to do a lot of TRs but don't get around to them for one reason or another. If you have capped out at least the third life on that character and it doesn't feel like a big deal to do it again, craft away.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post

No, gs trip pos maul is still the best for undead.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    No, gs trip pos maul is still the best for undead.
    But only really worth making anymore because it's single shard and you already have a HP/Displacement item, a Raise Dead clicky/CHA skills item and spare GS mats. A Cannith crafted weapon, random lootgen weapon, Mournlode Maul, or Fury of the Flame are all perfectly fine Undead beaters. You could probably get all those more easily than a 3+ maul, although if you're doing EE's and raids you would want one because they are max DPS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast