Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

That's up to you. Personally, I find that they aren't worth it. But this varies from person to person. How quickly do you complete lives and will the time spent grinding GreenSteel be more or less than the time the items knock off of your TRs?

My GS Greataxe was worthwhile for my Barbarian.
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. What have you done with your life?

Community Member

I'll just add one bit that I think is relevant, but may not be a factor depending on your playstyle/tolerance.

As one poster pointed out if you have the mats kicking around, barring shards, then go for it. However your subject line specifies the grind and I am all to familiar with that feeling with 12 characters all wanting a GS item(s). Like it or not the raid becomes a grind at some point.

The bigger issue may be though that such a grind to get items leaves you doing quests that chew up time, but result in zero exp. I remember getting my first GS item a long time ago and on a first life getting some decent exp. I had to do quite a few runs and while the exp dropped it was welcome. After TR-ing exp for my time was even more welcome.

Now I hardly ever see an at level Shroud run. All have level 25s in them ending up with zero exp. Now I have no problem running quests and not getting exp, but depending on how many you have to run to grind out what you want it can take time and you're not netting XP so you're delaying your time until your next TR.

Just something to consider and the tolerance of this will be different for everyone.

Community Member

Most people that have been playing for a year or two have tens or larges, hundreds of smalls / mediums and mats are fairly cheap these days.

Triple pos is still great, lit2 is okay till citw weapons. Make as many displace clickies as you can with spare shards. Smoke HP is solid.

Something to think about is whether you're character is TWF or THF. If THF I would say no don't make green steel as there are so many great alternatives that require much less time investment.

However if you are TWF and in particular using khopesh there are not many good options. IMO green steel khop are useful even at end game considering the limitation of great one handers.

I realize many will say THF is now all that and TWF sucks, but I think the truth is more that THF can pull ahead more in damage then previously due to epic destinies. The thing is TWF is still viable and in some builds preferable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    It really depends on the build and the weapon I think.

For example, I have a level 25 Arty and by and large I have yet to find a Heavy Repeater that out DPS's the LIT II Greensteel in most content. Perhaps an Alchemical one might be better, it's hard to say.

Other toons I have though have shed their greensteel in the 20's somewhere (excepting HP / SP / Concord Op items of course)

I was the same way I used to swear by my LitII repeater then the guildie made a triple earth one. I am now sold on the triple earth repeater. If you pair it with Tovin's Hammer ( at lvl 17) for the proc you get earthgrab and litII procs in the vale its a win win. =o]

Quote Originally Posted by 1Soulless1 View Post
    I was the same way I used to swear by my LitII repeater then the guildie made a triple earth one. I am now sold on the triple earth repeater. If you pair it with Tovin's Hammer ( at lvl 17) for the proc you get earthgrab and litII procs in the vale its a win win. =o]
    True but I tend to be a titan's fist and lucid dreams kind of guy mainly because I have the force line upgraded to the hilt (for the nice BB and tactical Detonation hits).

It really is hard thought to find a good upgrade over Green Steel for heavy repeaters.

Might have to look at x3 earth though. Not much is immune to acid dmg.
    Last edited by SiliconScout; 06-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.

For general purpose, you can't go wrong with making a triple positive weapon. It still rocks against undead in all content. Especially mauls.

If you have the room to slot it, hit point items are well worth it up and into epic levels.

Heavy repeating green steel Xbows are also hard to beat in epic content. Most of the good named epic repeating Xbows are light Xbows. Heavy GS Xbow's base damage are comparable to the named epic light repeating Xbows.

It really just depends on what you plan on doing once you hit level 20.

Good luck.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo, LOOON, Hobaggin, Buttscracher, FuglyDbag

My main is on her third life. She is a ranger (level 15 right now), and her primary weapon is a GS Longbow of Ooze. She also has triple-fire rapier, triple-earth light pick, triple-positive dagger, Vacuum goggles, and Conc Opp gloves -- extra 45 hp between two items rather than on just one. And yes, one Tier 2 Displacement clickie.

My bard is level 24, first life. He has only two GS items -- triple-air gloves and Mineral II Longbow. Still uses the bow occasionally, and always wears the gloves.

My artificer is on second life, and I made sure to prepare a triple-positive heavy repeater for him before TR.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

I actually prefer Min II over Lit II for several reasons:

- Its a DR Breaker from the Metalline +Holy
    - Saves you a feat from it being Keen (Improved Crit)
    - Acid/Holy/Acid works on just about everything regardless

We are talking Heroic levels here so the 600 damage from a lightning strike is overkill imo, not that it procs consistently either. Level 12-18 it serves its purpose, anything higher than that is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bargol View Post
    Something to think about is whether you're character is TWF or THF. If THF I would say no don't make green steel as there are so many great alternatives that require much less time investment.

However if you are TWF and in particular using khopesh there are not many good options. IMO green steel khop are useful even at end game considering the limitation of great one handers.
    Yeah there is a serious lack of good kops end game IMO. Enough so that I've dropped kops as my primary weapon on a couple of builds and just got other one handers which were superior. I sure hope they come out with some good kopeshes.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    LitII are fine for TRing, there's not a lot that can match them. If you're doing multiple TRs, just go ahead and make one.

Cloudburst from Reaver's Fate is as good or better 2HF than LitII when fighting groups, and if you happen to have it and a seal already it's a lot cheaper than the 3Mpp+ a dual-shard GS costs.

Deathnip beats GS for 2WF piercing, Envenomed Blade is probably better in a lot of circumstances too. Enduring Conviction is better slashing.

Unwavering Ardency from Abbot beats a GS bow.

GS weapons garbage at 20+. GS HP or SP accessory is still fine of course.
    Enduring Conviction may be better than a lit II against chaotic evil outsiders. That's about it.

The minimum level of 16 for the Envenomed Blade should eliminate it from being compared to a min lvl 12 item, but even if you want to compare a weapon you can't use on a TR until four levels later, it loses in a big way in the DPS department. Paralyzing is nice though.

If you have already done a couple TRs and think you are going to do a lot more, absolutely make a GS. Just understand that a lot of people plan to do a lot of TRs but don't get around to them for one reason or another. If you have capped out at least the third life on that character and it doesn't feel like a big deal to do it again, craft away.

2014 DDO Players Council

Yet another vote for the "if you're TRing multiple times, definitely worth it" camp.

Also, though I saw mention of DPS-type Greensteel weapons, I'm a big fan of +9 stat Greensteel caster sticks.

I don't think so. Cormyrian melee weapons are very good. Nobody talks about them on the forums, but I did a few challenges on traded mats in to for a lvl 20 Khopesh that had Shocking Burst, Disintegration, and +10 Vertigo. Then there's the lvl 24 which have a fourth ability.

Compare soloing challenges to flagging for and running shrouds. Probably 1/10th the time for 3/4 the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Basically all said in the title, with so much new content and weapons from the various raids are GS weapons still worth making? I am asking because I really want to make a Lit2 Greataxe for my TR toon for on his journey to completionist, from level 12-20 I can't seem to find anything that beats them though not fully looked through the Cannith Challenge stuff yet.

While on the topic are these even viable at end game anymore?

Thoughts and comments welcome folks!

Stoner81.
    They are GREAT for leveling. Not so gear past lvl 20. So if you intend on doing a lot of TR-ing, make yourself a couple of decent weapons. The big edge they have is the clickies, for the most.

The newer BtCoE random loot gen is a close second to greensteel while leveling. I've pulled some pretty cool items lately that were BtCoE.

Some of the GS items are still viable in endgame, though they are not spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Your idea of a trip-posi Qstaff is spot on. A little less dmg than a maul, but universal proficiency across the classes is great for TRing.
    Just one little tip: Use an Adamantine Ritual on it. Otherwise it will break after about 10 minutes of questing. Raising it base durability to 20 is enough for it to last as much as any other normal ML 12 weapon.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

^^ Thanks for the tip! It's a bit stupid when you think about it that it says "Greensteel" hence you would think it would be made from metal and have had a suitable durability to match but hey nobody ever said this game makes sense

As I said earlier the plan is to go total completionist (3x past lives for all classes), I have a fighter at cap who is staying there for the forseeable future just so I can farm for stuff and play new content as it comes out, these are the only two toons I play all my others are now mules since I decided going completionist I might as well get all the benefits on to one toon (past lives).

Triple positive quarter staff is most certainly on the list to make along with my greataxe since most of my runs will use it at some point except for caster lives maybe will have to see. Something with Smoke is also in the plan just sure on the item to which it will be on thinking probably goggles or cloak.

Again thanks for all the input folks I really do appreciate it!

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Something with Smoke is also in the plan just sure on the item to which it will be on thinking probably goggles or cloak.
    Bracers.

From level 4 to 11, use a ML 4 Bracer of Wind. Blurry from level 4 is awesome. And since you'll play only up to 20, there are not many heroic bracers worth keeping. Levik for heal amp, and Thaarak for vitality are the only ones I would THINK about using instead of Bracers of Wind.
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Bracers.

From level 4 to 11, use a ML 4 Bracer of Wind. Blurry from level 4 is awesome. And since you'll play only up to 20, there are not many heroic bracers worth keeping. Levik for heal amp, and Thaarak for vitality are the only ones I would THINK about using instead of Bracers of Wind.
    Well, that's one opinion

For me, bracers are spoken for. From 9-TR I use Chaos Gaurd. PermaHeroism, Dodge 2% & Yellow slot (I change the augment constantly based on my wants/needs at the moment.) I also wont make a GS cloak, as from 5-13 I use the Mantle, and from 14 until I TR again I use the Jeweled cloak (slotted with deathblock and now the xp aug - yay for no swapping!)

For my GS: Min2 HP belt(cleansed) & con-op helmet & gloves.

The belt predates the new AC system, otherwise it would be Smoke. But that's my cleansed item and I don't want to disrupt my TR train with a 20 Shroud break. (If I ever get a dopant, this is the item I'll use it on.)

Why 2 con-ops? Versatility. Based upon my other gear, my divine lives prefer a con-op helmet; the arcanes prefer the gloves.

Fwiw: My only GS weapon is a "Turtle Stick" (con-op w/10% neg energy absorption 20+30% heal amp.)
    The toon in question started (and will end) as a Cleric. For meele I mainly use a min lvl 6 flaming burst of lacerating Great sword w/an icy kit and some situational swaps (Smiting etc.)

I know... Crazy right?
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    I know... Crazy right?
    I actually didn't looked at the upgraded Chaosgarde. Thanks for pointing them. Myself, I still think Bracers of wind are better, since Heroism potions are really cheap, and there is no blur potions around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast