Community Member

Default How do I open magical doors?

I am in a quest right now on The Restless Isles - I am trying to do Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan.

I have a base strength of 19, I can buff it - but the quest says you need a strength of 22. I'm assuming the reason I can't "knock it down" is because I need to be 22 str unbuffed?

I have tried a lvl 16 rogue hireling Morlass Elivir - who has opened other doors in the quest - but she can't seem to open this one.

I have tried buying a "bell of opening" from the DDO store.

The reason I'm doing it solo is because I am new to the game and would prefer trying to do this quest solo. I'm pretty proud of the fact that I have got this far - but I have googled and searched forums and I can't find any help.

So can anyone please tell me short of having a ghigh lvl come in to help me finish quest how I can open a magical knock door - is there a hireling that might be able to do it?

A buff, a wand?

Thank you.

Also if I log out - I'm assuming the system will boot me out of the quest? It took me a while to get to this last door and I'm afraid I'll have a hard time finding my way back.... so I'm just hanging out here (lol) - hoping someone can help me.

Community Member

It shouldnt require unbuffed 22 STR, the only thing that really goes off your unbuffed stats is feat prereqs. 22 STR should be enough to bash it down with a melee weapon.

What exactly goes wrong when you try to bash it? It just doesnt attack? There's a problem with targeting where, if you just have your mouse pointed towards a bashable door, it wont let you attack. You either have to move your mouse away from the door, hold down attack, and then turn and face it, or target the door with "Target Nearest Object" and then turn on autoattack.

Sorry you had to spend TP on this - you should never buy consumable **** from the Store

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    It shouldnt require unbuffed 22 STR, the only thing that really goes off your unbuffed stats is feat prereqs. 22 STR should be enough to bash it down with a melee weapon.

What exactly goes wrong when you try to bash it? It just doesnt attack? There's a problem with targeting where, if you just have your mouse pointed towards a bashable door, it wont let you attack. You either have to move your mouse away from the door....
    Thank you for getting back to me - I did try that - angling myself so I could swing freely - but with no effect.

Perplexing.

Could I buy a scroll or wand that would open doors?

Wouldn't the hireling rogue have a higher skill in opening doors than a wand or scroll?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RudedawCDN View Post
    Thank you for getting back to me - I did try that - angling myself so I could swing freely - but with no effect.

Perplexing.

Could I buy a scroll or wand that would open doors?

Wouldn't the hireling rogue have a higher skill in opening doors than a wand or scroll?
    DDO Wiki says a Fireball or Burning Hands scroll/wand will do the trick, if you have the UMD for that. But honestly, if you're right up against it and hitting it with a melee weapon (or unarmed) and you have enough STR and its not busting down, then I dont know why Knock or Open Lock or an AOE fire spell is going to work any different...

I definitely wouldnt spend any more TP on it.

edit: I'm assuming you're actually trying to open the door that DDO Wiki talks about. I dont actually have Restless Isles so I've never run that quest. If its, in fact, a different "magical door", then its possible it requires some other stat check, and is probably unpickable. However, AFAIK, there's very rarely a stat-check door that blocks you from completing the quest, they usually just guard treasure or optional objectives.
    Last edited by droid327; 06-05-2013 at 10:29 PM.

The door is at the quest entrance way and should break down easily. A bell of opening should also work as should a rogue hireling of appropriate level.

Per the Wiki the STR needed is 22 and the OL is 35.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any "magical" door in the quest that cannot be opened.

The one possibility is the last set of doors at the end of the quest. Those cannot be opened by any means other than the Quoriforged Key. You have to purchase this key before begining the quest from an NPC who is near the quest giver.

If you don't have the key you cannot get past the doors by any method.

But, AFAIK there is no reason to go past the doors as the Wiki states that this portion of the quest is broken and that you cannot get the Ogre Khan's Skull (which is the reason for going to that area). According to the Wiki it was broken in U17 and the Wiki has not been updated to say that it is fixed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    The one possibility is the last set of doors at the end of the quest. Those cannot be opened by any means other than the Quoriforged Key. You have to purchase this key before begining the quest from an NPC who is near the quest giver.

If you don't have the key you cannot get past the doors by any method.
    Actually I figured it out - the locked door is a short cut for those who have already run thru to the quest giver so you don't have to keep redoing the same long route.

The only way thru this door is to purchase a key for 1000 gold from Mizumi - an npc in the same place and as the quest giver Mul Tong.

Now the only part of the quest giving me problems is:

"Passage to Tako the Killer (south east area) has various traps which cannot be disabled. First set are whirling blades. Next are stepping stones (Follow the sequence as displayed on the wall). The next are spike traps (Can be avoided by jumping onto wall in each corner). Next is fiery darts (These are widely enough spacd to run up between 2 paths of fire). Lastly are blades from the floor walls."

When I run thru I die.

Is there any buffs I can get, scrolls, wands etc to help offset whirling blade damage?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RudedawCDN View Post
    "Passage to Tako the Killer (south east area) has various traps which cannot be disabled. First set are whirling blades. Next are stepping stones (Follow the sequence as displayed on the wall). The next are spike traps (Can be avoided by jumping onto wall in each corner). Next is fiery darts (These are widely enough spacd to run up between 2 paths of fire). Lastly are blades from the floor walls."

When I run thru I die.

Is there any buffs I can get, scrolls, wands etc to help offset whirling blade damage?
    No.

Those traps are avoidable. For the spinning blades, there are blade-less areas. Trigger the blades so you can see which "tiles" have no blades, then jump to those tiles.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default I believe there is a trap box at the end of it all

As for the blades, so it can be disabled for other party members.

It has been awhile since I ran that one, but I recall there being at least one box. Or is it just a lever to open the door?

Thanks for giving me impetus to run this quest again.

I am not sure if burning hands still works on doors. I have tried it in some places where I used to use it, Forgotten Caverns door to the shrine, and it no longer works there.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    As for the blades, so it can be disabled for other party members.

It has been awhile since I ran that one, but I recall there being at least one box. Or is it just a lever to open the door?

Thanks for giving me impetus to run this quest again.

I am not sure if burning hands still works on doors. I have tried it in some places where I used to use it, Forgotten Caverns door to the shrine, and it no longer works there.
    The traps just have to be negotiated. When you get thru them all you will pick up a key that opens a gate. This lets you in/out without going over the traps a second time.

I don't remember the trap box, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Community Member

I just completed the "Bring me the Head of Gholan-Fan" Solo (I used hirelings for heals) on Elite and rec'd the Royal Guard Mask (acts like a teleport rod).

Totally worth it imo.

Notes:

1) The shortcut is not needed and imo a stupid design feature put in by the dev's. It's actually faster for me to run to the instance starter area than pay the 10,000 gold to buy the key and use the short cut.

I mean seriously whoever designed this feature obvioucly did not play test it.

2) The toughest part of the dungeon for me was the whirling blades/traps area - if you can get thru there you're pretty golden.

3) The dungeon is easy to remember after doing it once. So to me it's easy to farm if you know what you wnat and where it is.

4) After killing Gholan-Fan the treasure room is right behind him - but it's fake - you need to go right to the end behind the boxes where there is a false wall.

If you have any questions - just let me know.

It's a fun quest!