Thread: BAB Question

Default BAB Question

I searched for an existing answer to this and found none, so I figured I'd ask. The correct forum seems inactive for the most part.

I have a Bard 10/Ranger 2/Rogue 2. Upon taking level 14 (a bard level) the level-up dialog box said that his BAB was increased from +9 to +10. I started thinking about this because it didn't seem to mesh with what I thought his BAB should be.

The wiki says that bards and rogues both get 0.75 BAB per level, and rangers get 1.0. Also, the wiki says that the numbers stack for multi-class toons. Based on those values:

BAB = 12 * 0.75 + 2 * 1.0
    BAB = 9 + 2
    BAB = 11

This is kind of an important stat for the toon, since his number of arrows during manyshot is based on it. Anyone know why poor Sanjurow is getting only +10 BAB at level 14 rather than the expected (by me) +11?

Classes accumulate BAB separately

BAB = 10 * 0.75 + 2 * 0.75 + 2 * 1.0
    BAB = 7 + 1 + 2
    BAB = 10

Find some items with divine power clickys on them. Those are very helpful for characters without full bab during manyshot.

I think the way it works on 3/4 bab characters is that you get 0 bab on the first level of that class, and then a point of bab for the next 3 levels, then the cycle starts over. Your 10 levels of bard would have had 3 levels where it received 0 bab.

You would have only received 1 bab from your 2 levels of rogue.

You could make a character with 3 single levels of 3/4 bab classes and end up with 0 bab at third level.
    Last edited by FestusHood; 06-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walkin_dude View Post
    I searched for an existing answer to this and found none, so I figured I'd ask. The correct forum seems inactive for the most part.

I have a Bard 10/Ranger 2/Rogue 2. Upon taking level 14 (a bard level) the level-up dialog box said that his BAB was increased from +9 to +10. I started thinking about this because it didn't seem to mesh with what I thought his BAB should be.

The wiki says that bards and rogues both get 0.75 BAB per level, and rangers get 1.0. Also, the wiki says that the numbers stack for multi-class toons. Based on those values:

BAB = 12 * 0.75 + 2 * 1.0
    BAB = 9 + 2
    BAB = 11

This is kind of an important stat for the toon, since his number of arrows during manyshot is based on it. Anyone know why poor Sanjurow is getting only +10 BAB at level 14 rather than the expected (by me) +11?
    The answer is actually very simple, it is in the Rounding.

First you have to figure out each classes BAB separately not as a sum of Likes

BAB
    10 Levels Bard = 10 * 0.75 = 7.5 -> 7 --DDO/D&D rounding drops all partials and only takes the Whole
    2 Levels Rogue = 2 * 0.75 = 1.5 -> 1 --See above
    2 Levels Ranger = 2 * 1 = 2

So your BaB is 7 + 1 + 2 = 10

Remember the Key words is the Sum of your Classes BaB and that Decimals are dropped

Default Thanks :)

Great answers, so now I understand. I don't get to count the rogue and bard levels together. The good news: Sanj will get another arrow during manyshot at the next level. That DP clickie idea is also a good one. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by walkin_dude View Post
    Great answers, so now I understand. I don't get to count the rogue and bard levels together. The good news: Sanj will get another arrow during manyshot at the next level. That DP clickie idea is also a good one. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some of that.
    You can skip the math also if that is easier...

A full bab class gets 1 bab every level.

3/4 bab gets 0 1 1 1 repeat

1/2 bab get 0 1 0 1 etc...

So if you roll a 1 rogue, 1 monk, 18 ranger you get 18 bab.... both rogue and monk are 3/4 and both get 0 bab at that classes first level. Doesn't matter when you take the classes either. Its based on level in that class as was stated earlier.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane