Community Member

Default I guess Im the new guild leader. Gimme tips

So my guild leader decided to promote me to successor and will be stepping down shortly. Why he choose me is beyond me! But It's kinda cool. Problem is, I'm not sure how to run a guild effectively! Aside from the wiki, are there any other resources? I saw something on Google about guild leader boards but all are dead links. Do they still exist? Any other tips on being a good leader would be greatly appreciated!

I guess it depends on what your guild is all about. If it is really super organized with regularly scheduled quests and/or raids then it falls to you to make sure those stay organized and on track. If it is focused on TR lives then you need to make sure that there are good partnerships where your players can rapidly zerg from one life to the next. If it is large but diverse then the biggest thing is keeping ship amenities up to date so they don't run out.

Take a look at your guild membership and what attracts them (and you) to the guild. Whatever that is, that is where you put your emphasis.

I've led a guild and been a member of a few others. Each is different. So, IMO, you have to find the character of your guild and work to meet the expectations of your current members while recruiting new players who fit whatever it is that you do.

If you don't have anything regularly scheduled, maybe a weekly Shroud run at a specific day & time. Nice and easy, useful loot if even just to sell, and helps to start fostering a sense of community.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

First off, relax. A guild is a group of people who enjoy playing the game together. There are no hard and set in stone rules to being a good guild leader. Remembering that the guild is NOT the leader, it's a collective effort. Appreciate their efforts, and don't let them force you into doing it all. It can and should be a group effort, since it's a group of people.

Talk to your guildies and see what they like about the guild and what they might want to see. Take a good look at the current guild culture. Are people happy with it? Then just make an effort to understand it and maintain it. If not, work with the other members to reshape it into something that makes everyone happy. This is our free fun time, and it should be FUN above all else. Some people find highly structured, organized, and set in stone guild rules fun, and some people find free wheeling do whatever the hell you want appealing. Neither one is better than the other, just better for particular players.

Enjoy it. I reiterate the part about fun, leading the guild should be fun for you, not a second unpaid job.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Being a guild leader is fun for me. Then again..I have a great group of players in our guild...or family as we call it.

How your guild will develop and grow depends on a variety of things. Some you control (like positive attitude...communication...guild runs for loot..favor..assistence for flagging...and just helping and playing the game)...some you can't (like egos....drama....conflicting schedules or time zones). My opinion.... When egos or drama becomes a problem... Address it quickly. As a leader...it is part of your role to keep the guild free of such distractions.

Do fun things for and with the guild. Everyone enjoys them and everyone usually wants to help and or offer you assistence. We do contests for +3 tomes and stuff like that. Everyone participates and donates.

Lastly...dont feel like you have to do it all alone. Ask guildies for help with whatever. They are in the guild to see it prosper too!

My 2pp. Goodluck!

Thac0

Community Member

Delegate. ;p

Community Member

Awesome! Good advice all around! Thanks guys!

A few questions: Which I would ask the former leader but he went on hiatus before I could ask.

He said to remove all players who haven't logged in over 4 weeks. Why would that be? Does it have to do with decay?

He also frequently promoted nearly everyone to officer? Is there any pros/cons to having lots of officers?

Does DDO have guild leader boards? I've Googled with no luck. I'd like a page outside of game to enhance communication.

Ty Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    Awesome! Good advice all around! Thanks guys!

A few questions: Which I would ask the former leader but he went on hiatus before I could ask.

He said to remove all players who haven't logged in over 4 weeks. Why would that be? Does it have to do with decay?

He also frequently promoted nearly everyone to officer? Is there any pros/cons to having lots of officers?

Does DDO have guild leader boards? I've Googled with no luck. I'd like a page outside of game to enhance communication.

Ty Everyone!
    Removing players -- usually done to reduce decay. Also a source of contention in some cases -- especially long-time members who may be on breaks from the game. Encourage your mates to let you know if they are going absent for a while. Very important if you are recruiting pretty much at random to remove dead weight.

Officers -- no real perks to being an officer except that you can now recruit others. Useful if you are not especially discriminating in who you accept as members. Good for people's egos. Also somewhat dangerous if you don't really know the players. Nothing hurts server reputation like a guild officer who is a real twit.

Leader boards -- use to exist, not sure since forum changes. OTOH, pretty much meaningless except for egos.

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    If it's about decay it's a misunderstanding of decay. Players who haven't logged in for 4 weeks have never counted for decay, in the previous system or the current one. Booting someone who was been inactive for that long used to add to decay for 2 weeks, making it extremely counter-productive. In the current system booting inactive players has literally no effect on decay whatsoever, but it will reduce any small guild bonus you get for two weeks.

There is also an issue of morale. If your guild is a dozen or so active players and 200 inactives, for example, those dozen players may psychologically feel like they are playing in a post-apocalyptic ghost town, which can hurt their perception of the game. You can judge best what amount of inactives starts to feel like "Is this game dying?" for your guild.

A second issue of booting inactives is that it encourages people to log on just to reset their activity without actually playing. While this doesn't affect decay, it does lower any small guild bonus you might otherwise be eligible for. Also, I personally find it annoying.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    If it's about decay it's a misunderstanding of decay. Players who haven't logged in for 4 weeks have never counted for decay, in the previous system or the current one. Booting someone who was been inactive for that long used to add to decay for 2 weeks, making it extremely counter-productive. In the current system booting inactive players has literally no effect on decay whatsoever, but it will reduce any small guild bonus you get for two weeks.

There is also an issue of morale. If your guild is a dozen or so active players and 200 inactives, for example, those dozen players may psychologically feel like they are playing in a post-apocalyptic ghost town, which can hurt their perception of the game. You can judge best what amount of inactives starts to feel like "Is this game dying?" for your guild.

A second issue of booting inactives is that it encourages people to log on just to reset their activity without actually playing. While this doesn't affect decay, it does lower any small guild bonus you might otherwise be eligible for. Also, I personally find it annoying.
    One other bad thing about booting them. The guild will lose 25% of the total renown the booted character has earned.

Default Make it clear you're the new tyrant!

Make it clear you're the new tyrant; institute hard and fast rules and make it clear you will brook no dissent like:

Don't be a jerk.

If you don't log in for a year you will be booted, no excuses.

If you were a member and were booted out for not logging in you may rejoin whenever you want.

Have fun.

If you're not having fun, take a break.

You'll soon show them who's the boss!

Any other rule changes that may have an actual impact on guildies play should be deeply considered then discarded. Oh and as someone who has led some large guilds over the years, avoid "Tell Hell", where you become the person everyone turns to to solve their problems for them. Most people can walk just fine if you kick out their crutches. (horrible metaphor, apologies to the offended!)

Oh and remember point 3: Have fun!

PS being an officer/member means folks can feel free to contribute to airship amenities; advertise this fact. My ship costs 30,000pp a week to keep up, you'll have some guildies that have plenty of cash and want to help but don't realise the cost over the long term for all those freebie buffs...