Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIP vs F2P

Community Member

Default VIP vs F2P

If you are VIP do you need to purchase the new expansion or is it included with monthly?

Yeah I'm new and tying to decide which way to go.

Thank you all
    Cali

Yes

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsburyParker View Post
    Yes
    You sir are most helpful, thank you

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Everyone purchases Expansions. (Motu, Shadowfell). Vip gives you the rest. (although they still have to do the favor unlocks for drow, favored soul, and artificer I believe). They also get to open any quest difficulty, and 10% xp. And supposedly 10% faster running in the public areas for convenience, but I can't really tell the different to be honest on that one. They also get 500 tp a month to do what they will with (consumables, save up to buy the xpansions when they finally hit the store, etc. etc).

Both VIP and F2P have pros and cons.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Everyone purchases Expansions. (Motu, Shadowfell). Vip gives you the rest. (although they still have to do the favor unlocks for drow, favored soul, and artificer I believe). They also get to open any quest difficulty, and 10% xp. And supposedly 10% faster running in the public areas for convenience, but I can't really tell the different to be honest on that one. They also get 500 tp a month to do what they will with (consumables, save up to buy the xpansions when they finally hit the store, etc. etc).

Both VIP and F2P have pros and cons.
    Thank you for this. It is what I read on the VIP what throws me off is the opening statement...

Upgrading to VIP gives you an all-access pass to future, present, and past Dungeons & Dragons Online game updates. Become a VIP for as little as $9.99 a month*

Through the opening wording it makes it sound as if all expansions are available just wanting to make sure.

https://www.ddo.com/en/become-vip

Quote Originally Posted by calipsodancer View Post
    Thank you for this. It is what I read on the VIP what throws me off is the opening statement...

Upgrading to VIP gives you an all-access pass to future, present, and past Dungeons & Dragons Online game updates. Become a VIP for as little as $9.99 a month*

Through the opening wording it makes it sound as if all expansions are available just wanting to make sure.

https://www.ddo.com/en/become-vip
    they get away with this by calling it an expansion - not an update

as vip - you get acess to all of the content - with the xception of motu (the first xpansion) and the upcoming shadowfell expansion

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    they get away with this by calling it an expansion - not an update

as vip - you get acess to all of the content - with the xception of motu (the first xpansion) and the upcoming shadowfell expansion

hob
    Got ya, so I will need to buy the 2 expansions that's what I was trying to figure out

Thank you hobs!

It is the definition between what is considered an Update vs what is considered an Expansion that can cause the misunderstanding.

MOTU, Epic Destinies, and Shadowfell fall in what Turbine is defining as an Expansion

While the Enhancement Pass, bug fixes etc. appear to be considered Updates. VIP still has some Classes that need Favor unlock or can be Store Purchased if so desired. IE Favored Soul, Artificer and Druid.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    It is the definition between what is considered an Update vs what is considered an Expansion that can cause the misunderstanding.

MOTU, Epic Destinies, and Shadowfell fall in what Turbine is defining as an Expansion

While the Enhancement Pass, bug fixes etc. appear to be considered Updates. VIP still has some Classes that need Favor unlock or can be Store Purchased if so desired. IE Favored Soul, Artificer and Druid.
    Enoach,

What of the adventure packs, are they purchased separately or included?

DDOWiki.com has a wealth of information and is relatively intuitive to navigate.

Here is a list of Free to Play quests and here is a list of Pay to Play quests

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

One of the options you have is premium also. That is f2p and buying packs at your leisure. Over the 3 years i have been playing i have bought all classes races and content at one time or another. Most when they were on sale.

Default adventure packs

As VIP you get access to all adventure pack without purchasing them. Unfortunatly as a VIP you will not be able to purchase them until you return to either Premium or F2P.
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -- George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by calipsodancer View Post
    Enoach,

What of the adventure packs, are they purchased separately or included?
    it depends sometimes you can buy them as a bundle

for example - you can buy the necro series as a bundle

for necro 1 2 3 4

or buy them seperatly

however, that being said, you generally dont buy just one quest.

for example:

vale of twilight:
    gives you five quests and 1? raid ( cant remember if vod and hound are in that pack or seperate)

while druids deep gives you 3 quests.

and some like the lords of dust chain are free.

hope that helps!

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

hi guys,

like the op I too am wondering if I should purchase the expansion.

I mean I have access to the adventures, including the motu without ever purchasing the expansion.

I have access to the classes. even the iconic bladeforged at this time and as I understand it the others would be unlocked with favor too.

so I cant figure out what I am missing or why i should get the expansion if I can access the full content regardless as an ongoing vip

your comments appreciated.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Htoglav View Post
    hi guys,

like the op I too am wondering if I should purchase the expansion.

I mean I have access to the adventures, including the motu without ever purchasing the expansion.

I have access to the classes. even the iconic bladeforged at this time and as I understand it the others would be unlocked with favor too.

so I cant figure out what I am missing or why i should get the expansion if I can access the full content regardless as an ongoing vip

your comments appreciated.

thanks!
    well the thing is about the motu is you would of had to purchase it through ddo store or ddo market to access it. vip doesnt give this for free nor is there a favor for it. as for the bladesworn you can only access the level 1 thing not actually play/create them. think of it like a taste of it. bladesworn wont be released until update 20 unless you purchase shadowfell. as for favor i havent seen anything about that.

Community Member

If you like the game and have the money I would advise you to sub up. The benefits are more in line with supporting the company so they can keep the game running and keep adding new content because otherwise there won't be a game for anyone.

Community Member

The nice thing about buying the MotU standard pack is that it also comes with Druid class, Epic Destinies, and four other adventure packs, and the very act of purchasing will make you Premium if you aren't already VIP.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    The nice thing about buying the MotU (dot dot dot) Epic Destinies,
    So is the only way to access epic destinies is to buy motu? I had been under the general impression that vips got that anyway, just a slow slog through them to get anywhere....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    So is the only way to access epic destinies is to buy motu? I had been under the general impression that vips got that anyway, just a slow slog through them to get anywhere....
    They may be available as an individual purchase, but I could be wrong. I have the xpack, and I am P2P, not VIP.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    You can buy them in the in-game store separately or as part of a bundle. They are not free to VIP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast