Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This may be an old change

This may be an old change that I just didn't notice but when did they add a buy crystal disc of dreams option to the dreamforge? I went to upgrade my plis tonight and saw that you could buy one for 50 as. Turbine stop trying to be cryptic, selling loot even if slightly outdated is not something that should be in the game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    This may be an old change that I just didn't notice but when did they add a buy crystal disc of dreams option to the dreamforge? I went to upgrade my plis tonight and saw that you could buy one for 50 as. Turbine stop trying to be cryptic, selling loot even if slightly outdated is not something that should be in the game.
    It's been there awhile, probably since the ASAH came out. Personally, I think there should be more things to spend my astral shards on.

Turbine stop trying to be cryptic, selling loot even if slightly outdated is not something that should be in the game.
    Actually I disagree. So long as they don't start selling loot exclusive to the store - and designing quests to only be completed reasonably by people using such gear - I'm just fine with selling short cuts. Heck, if I could buy the seal & shard for my Torc (assuming I ever get one) I just might. For that matter, if I could buy the Torc I just might. I'm tired of running that raid and it's prequest for over a year and not getting the loot I'm looking for. P2NotGrindAnymore? Yes Sir. Not that I would never grind anything ever again, but I do get to where enoughs enough and it's just not fun anymore.

Granted, there's a potentially slippery slope there. The Yellow Dopant is supposed to be a loot drop with a purchase option, but I've only seen 2 actually drop in a chest - neither was for me. If they got the idea to make drop loot purchasable and reduced drop rates because of it... Well, that would be a dirty underhanded trick to pull.

But keeping existing drop rates while adding a purchase option? I'm good with that. Which is fortunate for me, because it does seem to be on the horizon...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Actually I disagree. So long as they don't start selling loot exclusive to the store - and designing quests to only be completed reasonably by people using such gear - I'm just fine with selling short cuts. Heck, if I could buy the seal & shard for my Torc (assuming I ever get one) I just might. For that matter, if I could buy the Torc I just might. I'm tired of running that raid and it's prequest for over a year and not getting the loot I'm looking for. P2NotGrindAnymore? Yes Sir. Not that I would never grind anything ever again, but I do get to where enoughs enough and it's just not fun anymore.

Granted, there's a potentially slippery slope there. The Yellow Dopant is supposed to be a loot drop with a purchase option, but I've only seen 2 actually drop in a chest - neither was for me. If they got the idea to make drop loot purchasable and reduced drop rates because of it... Well, that would be a dirty underhanded trick to pull.

But keeping existing drop rates while adding a purchase option? I'm good with that. Which is fortunate for me, because it does seem to be on the horizon...
    Yes but for many such as me adding p2w or as you call it p2notgrind is a horrible addition to the game lately that makes me contemplate going and finding a sub game if any still exist. Gear should never be in the store in any form to many people. The shard exchange crosses this indirectly and now I just found a direct crossing of the line. I don't know if I'll leave anytime soon but it makes me far less likely to spend any money every time I find this.

Community Member

Yes but for many such as me adding p2w or as you call it p2notgrind is a horrible addition to the game lately that makes me contemplate going and finding a sub game if any still exist. Gear should never be in the store in any form to many people. The shard exchange crosses this indirectly and now I just found a direct crossing of the line. I don't know if I'll leave anytime soon but it makes me far less likely to spend any money every time I find this.
    But this truly is "pay to not grind." It's called, IF you have run the content and acquired the item you would like to upgrade, you may pay 50AS to not have to grind all the other ingredients. You still have to grind the gear and run the quest. Personally, I have a bigger issue with the ASAH in the p2w regard, because I can buy gear with never running the quest. But really, how does a person not running a quest chain a few "extra" times make you want to quit?

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post
    But this truly is "pay to not grind." It's called, IF you have run the content and acquired the item you would like to upgrade, you may pay 50AS to not have to grind all the other ingredients. You still have to grind the gear and run the quest. Personally, I have a bigger issue with the ASAH in the p2w regard, because I can buy gear with never running the quest. But really, how does a person not running a quest chain a few "extra" times make you want to quit?
    Because the only difference between this and a esos or eross shard is the scale of the item created in the end.

Because the only difference between this and a esos or eross shard is the scale of the item created in the end.
    I'm really trying to understand your point of view, but finding I difficult. If one could only obtain the disk/shard/whatever from the store I would be upset and take issue with it. What damage is caused by offering the option to buy it? How's this different from quest packs? You can grind (the TP) for them, but you have the option to buy them (or even just rent them as a VIP).
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I am waiting for the time when you click on the epic alter and it asks you if you'd like to purchase the scroll/seal/shard for 100 AS. It's really only a matter of time. Then again 90%+ of the old epic items are worthless and less and less people run the content. This is likely the "must" solution to fix the old raid gear vs idk making a lv 24-28 upgrade to the stuff to make 90% of the raids in the game worth running again.
    -Die (teh_troll's unofficial legal counsel)
    Captain’s Crew of Ghalanda
    Characters: Diemmak – Dimack – Dianotherday – Dieinafire – Elieath – Inonelite – Nowyoudie - LivenletDie - DIhard

Most will argue that as long as they don't sell loot that cant be had in game they are fine with it - but what actually happens is they advance the selling of loot closer and closer to what people are willing to tolerate first, until it gets to the point where the step of selling loot exclusive to the store is only a small step from what was in play before they crossed that line. They already sell ways for your character to become stronger exclusively in the store, its just not in the form of an item that gets equipped into a slot.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    They already sell ways for your character to become stronger exclusively in the store, its just not in the form of an item that gets equipped into a slot.
    Are you referring to cosmetic hats?

Tomes of fate exist in loot tables now (though I'll admit they're impossibly hard to get)

There's nothing else I can think of that's exclusive to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Are you referring to cosmetic hats?

Tomes of fate exist in loot tables now (though I'll admit they're impossibly hard to get)

There's nothing else I can think of that's exclusive to the store.
    There's also the supreme ability elixirs, an all-stacking +2 to stats that are frequently factored into the uberest of uberst "I can reach this number" diatribes. Possibly some other little stuff I'm not thinking of ATM.

If I understand him correctly, he's basically saying they're using the small boosts available only in the store (or with a miniscule chance of dropping in a chest) combined with the shard option in things like Dreaming Dark, as a way of easing us into the buy anything you want/"get the uberest stuff here" type of store.

There has been an option to buy the marks from the attack on stormreach chain for astral diamonds, now shards, for a very long time. What about guild ships and the gold seal buffs for them? Seems like pretty much the same thing to me. Nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    There's also the supreme ability elixirs, an all-stacking +2 to stats that are frequently factored into the uberest of uberst "I can reach this number" diatribes. Possibly some other little stuff I'm not thinking of ATM.
    These are possible to get in the silver loot table of the daily dice roll. Myself and a guidy each pulled these over the last week. I'm sure they are rare, but they can be acquired outside of the store with a free roll.
    Agro - Paryan, Pary, Parrii, Parriahh
    Bringers of Darkness

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Most will argue that as long as they don't sell loot that cant be had in game they are fine with it - but what actually happens is they advance the selling of loot closer and closer to what people are willing to tolerate first, until it gets to the point where the step of selling loot exclusive to the store is only a small step from what was in play before they crossed that line. They already sell ways for your character to become stronger exclusively in the store, its just not in the form of an item that gets equipped into a slot.
    Well i play DDO purely single player game and as in such the selling loot thing doesn't bother me, since i set my own goals.

If i was interested in the multiplayer aspect though the astral shard auction house would have absolutely crossed my line already as far as P2W goes. I think selling stuff like mentioned in this thread is just consequent though.

I doubt they will go as far as having store exclusive loot any time soon, games aimed at western audiences seem to at least try to keep the illusion.
    Even Perfect World keeps in line with that in NWO. Their other games aimed more towards eastern markets are much worse.
    Thing is though this shift is going through nearly every mmo, DDO is just following suit.

In order to circumvent any possibility of a pay to win situation I've vendor trashed a SoS and a Litany in the last six months.

Putting up for a roll, forget about it - might as well put it in ASAH if I'm going to let someone else benefit from my loot

Community Member

Given things like +2 Tomes of Fate, and top tier gear all being BoE it seems rather late to be worried about things like this now. DDO has fully shifted it's course in this direction, too late to do anything about that now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eilierie View Post
    In order to circumvent any possibility of a pay to win situation I've vendor trashed a SoS and a Litany in the last six months.

Putting up for a roll, forget about it - might as well put it in ASAH if I'm going to let someone else benefit from my loot

considering those are btc on acquire, thats not a good example of the ASAH, which only supports BTCoe, (and that doesnt include the end reward btcoa of the same item). as for the extra like the discs and the marks and such, having easier ways to get them is better imo, before you had to farm 6 of each essence (1 of each type for a shard, and 6 shards for the disc) which was a pain, then you could just farm the discs (cas DD end reward), which either took 6-8 completions on casual, or less since there was a chance to get a full disc anyway. but, grinding out that much stuff is a pain, especially when it makes the items btc, so paying 50 shards isnt that big of a deal.

I rather play the game then grind out pieces of stuff to upgrade loot which is one of the reason why I havent really bothered with the lord of blade/master artificer quests. too much grinding, had enough of that with the shroud, which I still run once in a blue moon, but in the most part the shroud loot is better due to how much you can customize it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    I am waiting for the time when you click on the epic alter and it asks you if you'd like to purchase the scroll/seal/shard for 100 AS. It's really only a matter of time. Then again 90%+ of the old epic items are worthless and less and less people run the content. This is likely the "must" solution to fix the old raid gear vs idk making a lv 24-28 upgrade to the stuff to make 90% of the raids in the game worth running again.
    Considering one of the biggest demotivators for me to log in right now is a bag of shards/seals without the matching bit, and not wanting to spend several hundred more hours not getting them, I'd certainly use some shards on them.

50 shards is way to much for a crystal disk of dreams.

I would pay 50 shards for a seal/shard/scroll combo tho. I wanted to add the desired item to that as well but that would make it to cheap, even for my standards.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    50 shards is way to much for a crystal disk of dreams.

I would pay 50 shards for a seal/shard/scroll combo tho. I wanted to add the desired item to that as well but that would make it to cheap, even for my standards.
    It really isn't that expensive. It's like the worth of 2-3 lacerating items on the ASAH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast