Community Member

Default EE Devil's Assault and your Beholder summon.

Don't summon it. Again. Please. Or if you do, please pay attention to your chat box.

While it was funny (as all heII) the first 10 times, it just annoys after that.

Nobody died, but Sp is precious in there at times. Especially if you need to keep wasting it on CC every minute or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Don't summon it. Again. Please. Or if you do, please pay attention to your chat box.

While it was funny (as all heII) the first 10 times, it just annoys after that.

Nobody died, but Sp is precious in there at times. Especially if you need to keep wasting it on CC every minute or two.
    I am guessing you are posting this to let people know that the beholder can negate Ottos?? the last 2 devil's assault runs I have been in have had some real fun arguments about this. the first run I was in was the first I had heard someone telling people to replace their beholder with a different summons because it would turn off Otto's and the person that summoned the beholder insisted it wasn't true

the second run I was in, I asked in chat if a beholder someone summoned should be replaced because it could turn off Ottos and I had 2 or 3 other people in the quest jump all over me for asking dumb questions and telling me that it absolutely did not negate other spells like Ottos.

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    I am guessing you are posting this to let people know that the beholder can negate Ottos?? the last 2 devil's assault runs I have been in have had some real fun arguments about this. the first run I was in was the first I had heard someone telling people to replace their beholder with a different summons because it would turn off Otto's and the person that summoned the beholder insisted it wasn't true

the second run I was in, I asked in chat if a beholder someone summoned should be replaced because it could turn off Ottos and I had 2 or 3 other people in the quest jump all over me for asking dumb questions and telling me that it absolutely did not negate other spells like Ottos.

The beholder make use of the wind spell(i forget the name of it) Just like tharashk hounds, air mephits and air ellies. These can all blow out your party.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post

Yes. Beholders dispel Otto's Ball(s). And when you get 2 Beholders in there, it is pretty annoying. I felt sorry for the CC, 4 players were typing/voicing asking for the beholders to be sent back home to no avail.

Note, the beholders do not 'turn off' Otto's, they dispel it. Much like when you fight one they dispel your buffs.

I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with their anti magic field.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member

I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with their anti magic field.
    I haven't played much lately, so I don't know if U18 added a way to summon real Beholders. But Chaos Beholders from the trinket do not have an antimagic field.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    I haven't played much lately, so I don't know if U18 added a way to summon real Beholders. But Chaos Beholders from the trinket do not have an antimagic field.
    Then my assumption on that was wrong.

Something they do dispels Balls though.

Chaos beholders do not have anti magic.

They do use gust of wind, and that can blow out aoe spells, such as dancing ball and mind fog.

Community Member

Beholders definitely get rid of the otto's dancing spheres and mind fog.

As the OP pointed out it could result in significant SP loss for a healer if the party has one.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Most of the ee wipes I"ve been involved in revolve around people bringing summons into them, and totally destroying the cc and agro control. They summons didn't help at all, but they sure got people killed. Yet people still love to bring them and insist we can't complete without them. *Facepalm*
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Another nice way to fail is having a hireling as healer who is busy healing summons and can't take of players. On the other hand, summons often block your view enough that you can't act well anymore anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagantor View Post
    Another nice way to fail is having a hireling as healer who is busy healing summons and can't take of players. On the other hand, summons often block your view enough that you can't act well anymore anyway.
    Or better, healing charmed junk

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Founder

Yes. Beholders dispel Otto's Ball(s). And when you get 2 Beholders in there, it is pretty annoying. I felt sorry for the CC, 4 players were typing/voicing asking for the beholders to be sent back home to no avail.

Note, the beholders do not 'turn off' Otto's, they dispel it. Much like when you fight one they dispel your buffs.

dispel, turn off -- sorry I couldn't think of the exact terminology when I initially responded but I think people got the gist of what I was saying. beholder gets summoned and AoE spells like Ottos go away

Community Member

Had someone bring one into a EH run yesterday, after which I told them to rid us of it since it was blowing away my solid fog for the webs. I chalk it up to having the shard, which is useful a ton of the time, but also not being familiar with how DA is best run (I believe I brought one the first time I ran a DA).

Because sustained CC isn't needed to complete the vast majority of content, it's probably something people only learn about through the experience of having someone yell at them via chat to get rid of the beholder (I did go and explain why though, so at least the person knew why it was a bad idea).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Had someone bring one into a EH run yesterday, after which I told them to rid us of it since it was blowing away my solid fog for the webs. I chalk it up to having the shard, which is useful a ton of the time, but also not being familiar with how DA is best run (I believe I brought one the first time I ran a DA).

Because sustained CC isn't needed to complete the vast majority of content, it's probably something people only learn about through the experience of having someone yell at them via chat to get rid of the beholder (I did go and explain why though, so at least the person knew why it was a bad idea).
    I am generally used to people in EH - EE DA bringing beholders, not having any fort item and having low HP. Prolly The best I ever seen was a wizzy in EE DA who brought a beholder, had 40 fortif, 430 HP, and was using cyclonic blasts to kill stuff.... Good time we had.

Seriously now, it makes the quest more fun and if they become a problem, you can always not toss them another ress and after shrine just let them aggro the first wave. Worked every time so far :-)

And yeah, beholders DO destroy AoE CC.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Not to mention the havoc they wreak when the friendly bard has just fascinated everything...
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

The only way to get rid of one tho is to try to summon another one, which might end up just replacing it with a shiny new one.

Best not to use the shard in the first place, unless you know the possible results will be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

I think one of the most important things to consider is the need for Control.

Pets and Hirelings have a modicum of control but even this control can become spotty

Summons on the other hand have no control but their Agro management table. This can make them problematic especially when Crowd Control and a Tight space is involved.

Devils Assault is a poster child quest for CC and tight spaces. Beholder summons which are available to everyone that can get a Shard out of the Lord of Eyes Chain can be a wonderful aid in CC especially for those who have no natural CC. But can also destroy that CC.

As a member of a party it is important to understand the game plan and how a Summon could get in the way and take appropriate actions which could be as simple as putting the shard in your pocket and not using it.

It is also good of the PL to let people know politely that Summons will be voted as MVPs of the Other Team if they are brought in. If as a party leader you are unsure about summons refer to the party member that will be providing the Crowd Control. If they say summon away then it is open season if they say that they would prefer no summons than go with that.

As already stated Chaos Beholders do not have Anti-Magic. However, they do appear to have Dispel and Gust of Wind. There are other summons that also have AoE effecting abilities or even AoE spells themselves that can effect others AoE spells.

Be mindful of how your Pets/Hires/Summons could effect the group play and adjust accordingly.