Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default You Know What's Always Fun? (Hirelings)

So while waiting to see if any interesting pugs come up, I decide to go do a couple of solo quests. Unquiet Graves, eHard. No biggie, lvl 24 monk, do this kind of thing often. I die on the second fight. Why?

Because my hireling STOOD THERE DOING NOTHING!

And this isn't the first time a hireling has stood around not doing his job. And when they aren't just standing there, they are running off across dungeons to start a fight, even if they are on Stand Your Ground (which apparently means the opposite).

Seriously, if you don't want people soloing, just remove the damn hirelings already. Otherwise, fix them instead of developing subpar content. Along with some of the other issues in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    I die on the second fight. Why?
    Because you neglected to keep any method of keeping yourself alive. Silver Flame potions are your friend. Some people might try to reason that the stat decrease is far too expensive, but on Epic Hard it really won't make a meaningful difference.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Hireling AI is for BYOH-only quests.

Community Member

It's not soloing if you have a hireling

Community Member

I am sorry to say but really it means you weren't paying attention. If you aren't paying enough attention to notice you aren't getting healed by the 'healer' and you don't try to find out why then you might want to re-evaluate.

This goes whether the healer is a hireling or another player.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Because you neglected to keep any method of keeping yourself alive. .
    He brought a hireling for that purpose. Many solo-ers use a cleric hireling instead of potions or wands. Cheaper by far and sometimes you get lucky and they keep you healed during a fight, not just in-between fights.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    He brought a hireling for that purpose. Many solo-ers use a cleric hireling instead of potions or wands. Cheaper by far and sometimes you get lucky and they keep you healed during a fight, not just in-between fights.
    And thy work great as mana batteries (the few divines that have the ability to restore your mana), and if they run out of mana, dismiss, head back to the entrance and re-summon 5 mins later with a full mana pool (or if gold seal, re-summon anywhere u want)...if on a difficulty other than normal / casual where te shrines can only be used once.

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    and if they run out of mana, dismiss, head back to the entrance and re-summon 5 mins later with a full mana pool (or if gold seal, re-summon anywhere u want)...if on a difficulty other than normal / casual where te shrines can only be used once.
    I learned something new today.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I learned something new today.
    just make sure you have a contract left before u dismoiss or you can't re-summon. I usualy carry a hireling folder loaded with Larafay contracts for just this reason

Hirelings often become unresponsive. You have to call them or change their activity in some way to knock some sense into them. Once you break their trance they will resume as normal until they randomly go unresponsive again. It's just something that always needs to be monitored when using hirelings.
    Orien Player: Semirasai, ~3~ L28 Drow Wizard :: Kaethe, ~5~ L13 Halfling Barb/Bard/Rog :: Esthera, ~2~ L26 Human Favored Soul
    Sophiae, L20 Drow Bard :: Kitarina, L20 Half-Orc Fighter :: Aadia, L20 Half-Elf Sorcerer :: Olesia, ~2~ L15 Sun Elf Cleric/Monk

Community Member

they also don't argue, talk back, get drunk / stoned while playing and most of all...they always drop group when you exit

Yup, Hirelings will occasionally become non-responsive. Toggling their posture almost always corrects the issue. It is incumbent on the player to monitor his hireling.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

I like hirelings honestly, but I'm also realistic about what I expect them to do. I expect them to be a portable shrine or a bag of hit points. I don't expect them to keep me alive in the thick of battle.

My favorite hireling is Natasha the level 16 cleric: Heal, Res, Mass DW, and DV III. She has 16 DVs that will give you back 500-600 spell points. A bargain for ~600 plat.

I usually put her on don't follow/passive and call her when I need a heal or DV. Not conducive for zerging but that isn't my playstyle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    My favorite hireling is Natasha the level 16 cleric: Heal, Res, Mass DW, and DV III. She has 16 DVs that will give you back 500-600 spell points. A bargain for ~600 plat.
    The DV's are SO much cheaper than spell point potions, yes indeed!
    I call Miranda my "ever-ready". Wait.. She heals too? :P
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Perhaps we should have a monthly voting competition for deadbeat hireling of the month. The most voted for could be ritually beheaded in the marketplace and a new one created to replace it. Though if they forgot to replace them we would soon run out. Probably a bad idea. But I vote WYOH why does she bother.

I love the actions of some hirelings. I had an experience once with a hireling where I'd tell it to stay still, but ignored it just about every time. Instead, it ran off, aggro-ed everything, and then propmtly died. To add insult to injury, while it was in the middle of combat you'd see the comment:

"I don't know if I can take much more of this!"

Really? Then maybe, just maybe YOU SHOULD HAVE FRICKIN' STAYED WHERE I TOLD YOU TO STAY, MORON!!!!

Community Member

I find it more frustrating when the hireling doesnt heal HIMSELF, but just stands there and gets killed and leaves me scrambling to clean up the mess Its one thing to have your own "oh ****" button...its another thing to try and manually tell your hireling to heal himself when he's already near death.

That being said, yeah, you just have to learn how to play around the quirks in the hireling AI. When they space out, usually just put them on Passive, tell them to Return (or whatever that button is called), and then set them back to Defensive/Offensive. That usually wakes them up and starts them healing again.

Founder

Default Um...This Thread Is About What is Wrong with Hirelings

I don't know why people are coming down on the OP. Whether or not you agree with HIS actions, the subject is the Hireling's actions. And I agree with the OP that it is frustrating when a hireling suddenly switches from "helpful" (for various values of "helpful") to "definitely not helpful". And they usually do it at the most inconvenient moment.

Community Member

Thumbs down

I forgot to buy SF pots last life so levelling to 20 on a toon that will always have only a marginal chance successfully UMD heal scrolls has been so infuriating that I don't bother now. Hate being hireling dependent because groups often at my login hour are rare. Yeah so they run off and agro, fine can deal with that. They will often stand still and do nothing whilst I'm in combat, fine I can work with that too, after all I want to do all the killin'. What thing that really irks me is that you will run back and they often cast Cure Light Wounds twice before throwing a heal. Worst of all they will chug their mana pots WAY, WAY too early.
    Last edited by kwyjibo_lol; 06-04-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I don't know why people are coming down on the OP. Whether or not you agree with HIS actions, the subject is the Hireling's actions.
    I won't deny that hirelings have problems, but it really was his fault that he died. He is a Monk and thus should have enough healing amplification to get at least 50 HP per Cure Serious potion. He could have jumped back as he was getting low and used them until he got his hireling working again. Instead he allowed himself to die.

All of my characters have some form of backup healing to rely on should problems arise. My Monk has Rejuvenation Cocoon. My Rogue can easily use Heal scrolls. My completionist-aiming character has enough gear to successfully use Heal scrolls on practically any build. All of these characters carry at least CSW potions and Silver Flame potions for when stat reductions aren't an issue.

While the subject was intended to be about the hireling, it really ended up being about a player who failed to have a backup plan when problems occurred. What if we were to substitute the hireling for an actual player who somehow died? Would the outcome be any different?
    Last edited by Ryiah; 06-04-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast