Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manners

Community Member

Default Manners

Has any one else noticed, a up tick in blatant stupidity and jerks on the sever? I pug a ton in fact its been the people that have kept me in this game for so long. But i have been running into way more folks that are just down right rude recently. Some one tell me i am just having some bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2fire View Post
    Has any one else noticed, a up tick in blatant stupidity and jerks on the sever? I pug a ton in fact its been the people that have kept me in this game for so long. But i have been running into way more folks that are just down right rude recently. Some one tell me i am just having some bad luck.
    not sure about stupid jerks, but if you don't like elitist jerks, my toons are in my sig

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

It has nothing to do with our server so much, and everything to do with the sense of anonymity and lack of accountability provided by being on the other side of a computer screen. A LOT of people all across the internet throw away the social niceties becuase they can. No real consequences to acting however they want to. Easy to create up a new 'id' and start over if there start to be unpleasant consequences. And it's much easier to not care about others that you don't actually meet if you choose not to.

Manners were created as a bridge to getting along with each other as we moved through our day to day lives in proximity. The internet has created a shortcut around that, and allows the uglier sides of human nature to show through a lot more easily.

Then there is the other issue, where what is polite in one culture is rude in another, and there are people from around the world in here. The internet and connections to each other is new, and I do wonder how it will change the global community as a whole now that a lot more of us are interacting, not just a few politicians and businessmen.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

There seems to be a new trend in the forums (I don't know if that's the case with the OP though, mind you) complaining about "vets" being harsh to new players. Thing is, "new player" doesn't equal "stupid". A new player that hits a "fast, hard" shroud LFM without being flagged, as we had yesterday, clearly doesn't know about the flagging mechanics but he's perfectly aware of the fact that a "hard fast run" LFM for a given quest is not the place for you if you haven't run that quest ever -much more so if it's a raid we're talking about. Lots of folks in that shroud started to explain should flagging mechanics and w/e. Quite frankly my patience was getting strained - not as much bc of him but because of the patronizing troupe. For the record, I did keep civil about it.

(Ofc that was a two rounder "fast" shroud - my guess is it would have been a one rounder if we had more "rude" folks in there, but anyway.)

That's just one example from a shamefully long list. Let's not talk about the 400hp, 75% fort cleric that joined our EE Tor run two days ago.

I must be one of those, no one wants to play with me Q_Q
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

Default manners

Don't forget that there are thousands of players from all over the world playing this game. Different Nationalities, Languages, Religions, Social Values, ect. You have no idea of whom you are playing with at any given time. For all you know you could be playing with a 4 year old kid, a dead person, an illiterate person, or even someone in a mental institution.

As a rule of thumb I do the following. I always open up groups to pugs. My thoughts are that if I can help someone complete a quest, then..... So when I allow others in my Pugs. I say "hi" over the Mic. If they do not respond, then I type "hello" in Party chat. If no response, I send them /tell. If I do not get a timely response I boot them from the group and send them a message that says "when you get back to your computer let me know. Will try to save you a spot .

If they can't/won't communicate when they join, its going to be bad..
    Formerly known as Battlehawke until 5/9/2013 when a great storm came through (several weeks after the forum changes btw) and "Poof" Everything went away. ......Thanks Turbine....

School's out in 'Murrica.

Dang kids.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    I must be one of those, no one wants to play with me Q_Q
    Lies. I tried to play with you but you do not like how much i talk.

I am not so much talking about vets though guys like mo and distriburted do not bother me in the least. I am talking more about folks just being mean to each other. I have never seen this level of general hostility in the pug scene. Its one thing when all of us vets call each other gimp. Hell it would not be Sarlona with out that. Its quite another when i see people verbally assaulting each other. I can think of several times where i have seen people on voice just get livid and start screaming at some one. It is just not a good environment and find myself playing less because of it.

When you see this level of hostility do you call the person on it, or do you stand back and let it happen?

It is one thing to be upset it exists, totally another to do something about it.

Sometimes these prodding's help remind people that they are dealing with real people and not just bits and bytes.

Community Member

Lies. I tried to play with you but you do not like how much i talk. <<<<By dragon2fire

Do not worry he does not like to play with me also. He has a superego.

See, I play the game for fun and for the social factor outside of my job and college. I have meet some really cool people in DDO land. People forget that DDo is only a game. I run with everyone. I run pug groups like every night I get off work.
    If you want a fun group look up Rojox. If you die you die man it happens.
    All the best RoJox
    Last edited by rojo; 06-04-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    He has a superego.
    lolwut.jpg
    Distributed - Currently on life 80.

Nah, it's always been that way for as long as I've played (since F2P). I just run into them a lot more often than you do and you know it ~ That is to say relative to me, quantitatively, you fail at finding pugs.

(Sarlona) Kuniken | Arisuno | Bojutsu | Olette
    Steam

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Lies. I tried to play with you but you do not like how much i talk. <<<<By dragon2fire

Do not worry he does not like to play with me also. He has a superego.

See, I play the game for fun and for the social factor outside of my job and college. I have meet some really cool people in DDO land. People forget that DDo is only a game. I run with everyone. I run pug groups like every night I get off work.
    If you want a fun group look up Rojox. If you die you die man it happens.
    All the best RoJox
    I will look you up. I am looking for some good people to play with. Just came back from a few years off and restarted all my toons.

Community Member

Sometimes it is hard to deal with people on the fly. I actually enjoy helping out new people. The other day I hooked a new person up with almost a full set of shield fragments so they could get a shield from necro. I will never use them and it really made their day. But you contrast that with the pale master the joined our EE Devil Assault, and after 3 rounds they hadn't killed anything. I told him to focus on the fire eles when the pop up, and he said he has been trying but they keep saving. I told him to level drain, or enervate 1st and he said he will have to pick those spells up. I understand that he is new, but an EE DA with a fire specc'd pale master that can't insta-kill anything is tough to handle and can turn people off to helping out newbies.
    I have always said new people need to speak up and let everyone know they haven't run a quest before, and we could have helped him prep a little before we stepped in and I had to chug 8 pots cause I was basically the only caster.
    Main toon Gromphia I have others but that is really the only one I play

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cernick View Post
    I will look you up. I am looking for some good people to play with. Just came back from a few years off and restarted all my toons.
    I will vouch for Rojo. He's a good dude, and fun to group with. Also if you see an LFM up with Gromphia or anybody from Chimera, we have been pugging a lot more lately and will always welcome good players.
    Main toon Gromphia I have others but that is really the only one I play

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sireric View Post
    I will vouch for Rojo. He's a good dude, and fun to group with. Also if you see an LFM up with Gromphia or anybody from Chimera, we have been pugging a lot more lately and will always welcome good players.
    You guys are pugging now that is fantastic. I have ran with some form Chimera in the past it is always a good time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    It has nothing to do with our server so much, and everything to do with the sense of anonymity and lack of accountability provided by being on the other side of a computer screen.
    I saw a video on an educational channel that explained why there is road rage but not sidewalk rage. People could potentially get pretty ****ed off if they bump into each other while walking, dropping papers, spilling coffee, etc., but when you see the look on the other person's face, you recognize, on a primitive level, that they're just as surprised/sorry/whatever as you, and you don't respond with as much anger. It makes a lot of sense, but it still disgusts me that modern humans need to see a face to know how to behave. To me, being an adult human means being able to behave properly in all but the most extreme situations regardless of what one's inner animal wants.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sireric View Post
    O WOW <<<"not the game" but someone likes me
    Yes, Gromphia is a very good player ,he helps out new players like I do some times.
    And to tell you the truth a lot of elitists J@@@'s are really not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2fire View Post
    Not really. Every game has it's share of jerks. DDO is no different. I think you are just having a run of bad luck.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Asanarama View Post
    I saw a video on an educational channel that explained why there is road rage but not sidewalk rage. People could potentially get pretty ****ed off if they bump into each other while walking, dropping papers, spilling coffee, etc., but when you see the look on the other person's face, you recognize, on a primitive level, that they're just as surprised/sorry/whatever as you, and you don't respond with as much anger. It makes a lot of sense, but it still disgusts me that modern humans need to see a face to know how to behave. To me, being an adult human means being able to behave properly in all but the most extreme situations regardless of what one's inner animal wants.
    I'd tell new players to buy a mic if they don't have one already, and start communicating with their groups. Just to put a couple of examples: if someone happens to do something that's not good immediately saying "sorry about that guys" saves 99% of the would-be drama. If someone doesn't know the quest he/she can also tell that on mic and ask things as he/she runs the quest, something that's nearly impossible if you have to type while handling your toon (especially on fast-paced groups, which are a lot of the groups forming ATM).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast