Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for advice on how to get ahead

Hi folks.

I am not really a new player, but I am a longtime casual player, having played off and on for 5 years. I have many many characters level 10 and under, used to play a lot of permadeath, and have 2 character around level 20. My highest level character is a level 20 cleric. I am not a terribad player, I have successfully healed raids and been congratulated on jobs well done most of the time.

I live in the Republic of Korea though, and generally don't see a lot of activity during my playtimes, which means usually soloing for me. Usually when I am on I see LFMs more for stuff that kind of scares me off ("EE 5th quest in the series, know what you're doing, in progress BYOB")

I have a feeling a lot of people solo the flagging quests and try to PUG out only harder stuff? For example, I've always wanted to try the Inspired Quarter stuff but haven't ever been able to find a group doing them, although I see a lot of loot runs on the last quest.

I am terribad at soloing. My toon does terrible damage. I have some weapon swaps and usually use a holy of pure good greatsword if I try to melee, (fighter dilettante), or an impact weapon and shield for blade barrier or a radiance weapon for divine punishment. As a 28 point toon with so so equipment, my DC is pretty terrible which has kept me from trying implosion type stuff.

This leads up to two ideas:

The first plan I have is to try to push out the favor I need for 32 point builds (Currently at 1500 favor, so somewhat close) and then build up a 32 point toon which can take my cleric's place for grouping with my guild when times overlap. That could then free me up to true reincarnate my cleric, because having a TRed toon is a personal goal for me. This character needs to be fairly self-sufficient, since I mainly get to play when the rest of the world is sleeping so maybe something like a warforged trapper wizard or some sort of melee with a bit of self-healing.

The second plan is to not worry about farming the low level favor and try to push forward with my cleric and get some epic levels. This plan is scary to me because so much of the content I have tried which still gives experience at 20 is very very hard for me. Blade barrier works well against mobs that will chase me, but stinks against casters or ranged based mobs. It takes me a long long time to DOT something down. Meleeing is even more pitiful. The one thing I seem to be able to do solo is Eveningstar Arena challenges. I can usually survive to get 1 star. Anything where I have to protect something I fail miserably as it just takes so long to kill something and they easily destroy the tree, or ritualist or what have you.

Any suggestions either for what sort of more self-sufficient character I can build, content that might be well suited to my cleric or a way to better suit my cleric to content?

Community Member

Hey, first of all Hello there!

The first question I would ask is do you like your cleric? I'm asking you this because you seem to put some emphasis on dps and it's obviously not where Clerics shine. I think they're very good even for soloing but in term of raw dps, not the best. If you chose that this is this one character you want to push then let's see your 2 options.

1. If you chose to TR you need to know that, as a casual player, it might takes some time to get back to top level and I don't know how patient you can be. Saying this because i've seen people TRing than blocking at level 15 because they couldn't seem to get enought XP by themselves. But if you TR, then you get the option to become a caster Cleric which is a totally other experience in term of both gameplay and efficiency when it comes to soloing I'd say. Also the possibility to TR in a class you've never capped but this is sometime a bit more delicate (because I don't know how you deal with failure, death, time it takes... etc).

2. If you chose to get into epic levels, what might be fun for you is that the difficulty doesn't increase. Like you could solo every single quest of the expension (normal/hard) and get to see a bit more content and meanwhile you could think of what you could TR in a bit later. Also as a Healer, I think that skills are enought to contribute in any single group. Maybe you won't be as effective on trash vs a cleric with 9 past lives, but you can totally help toward completion without it... unless your group is really struggling.

As for not being "Terribad", I think that if you are confident enought with your skills, you should give a try in stuff you feel like you can do. Don't be shy to tell others to possibly slow down just a little bit the first time so you can see what it is like. Even if it takes more of your focus the first times, if you can't drink/smoke/alt+tab during fights, etc... Still I think that you can't be as good as when being good is needed . Hope that made sens.

I'll start with this so it is not exhaustive, if you have further questions i'll be on and off all day.

Edit: A Favored Soul could be a good option as well. Pretty much like a Cleric with a little twist. You seem to be more caster oriented like me so i'd say Sorc/Wizard are both good choices as well and makes leveling very easy if you shall decide to play them right.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 06-04-2013 at 06:09 AM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mudang View Post
    Hi folks.

I am not really a new player, but I am a longtime casual player, having played off and on for 5 years. I have many many characters level 10 and under, used to play a lot of permadeath, and have 2 character around level 20. My highest level character is a level 20 cleric. I am not a terribad player, I have successfully healed raids and been congratulated on jobs well done most of the time.

I live in the Republic of Korea though, and generally don't see a lot of activity during my playtimes, which means usually soloing for me. Usually when I am on I see LFMs more for stuff that kind of scares me off ("EE 5th quest in the series, know what you're doing, in progress BYOB")

I have a feeling a lot of people solo the flagging quests and try to PUG out only harder stuff? For example, I've always wanted to try the Inspired Quarter stuff but haven't ever been able to find a group doing them, although I see a lot of loot runs on the last quest.

I am terribad at soloing. My toon does terrible damage. I have some weapon swaps and usually use a holy of pure good greatsword if I try to melee, (fighter dilettante), or an impact weapon and shield for blade barrier or a radiance weapon for divine punishment. As a 28 point toon with so so equipment, my DC is pretty terrible which has kept me from trying implosion type stuff.

This leads up to two ideas:

The first plan I have is to try to push out the favor I need for 32 point builds (Currently at 1500 favor, so somewhat close) and then build up a 32 point toon which can take my cleric's place for grouping with my guild when times overlap. That could then free me up to true reincarnate my cleric, because having a TRed toon is a personal goal for me. This character needs to be fairly self-sufficient, since I mainly get to play when the rest of the world is sleeping so maybe something like a warforged trapper wizard or some sort of melee with a bit of self-healing.

The second plan is to not worry about farming the low level favor and try to push forward with my cleric and get some epic levels. This plan is scary to me because so much of the content I have tried which still gives experience at 20 is very very hard for me. Blade barrier works well against mobs that will chase me, but stinks against casters or ranged based mobs. It takes me a long long time to DOT something down. Meleeing is even more pitiful. The one thing I seem to be able to do solo is Eveningstar Arena challenges. I can usually survive to get 1 star. Anything where I have to protect something I fail miserably as it just takes so long to kill something and they easily destroy the tree, or ritualist or what have you.

Any suggestions either for what sort of more self-sufficient character I can build, content that might be well suited to my cleric or a way to better suit my cleric to content?
    What server are you on? I am sure someone will be willing to help you get the favor you need and/or introduce you to a channel to supplement your guild options.

As for self sufficient builds there are many and it really depends on your personal preference. If you can get to 32 point build, making a human or drow palemaster would be a great option. There will be some quests where being a palemaster isn't ideal, but you can solo most quests and are just as effective in a party. If you go this route, when October comes around be sure to get your level 20 (and 24 also) robe from the Mabar festival even if you are below 20 because that will really help with epic leveling.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Hi folks.
    Server is the question, i too am in SK and its hard to find times with people on.
    "Eye of the Dragon" on Argonessen. "Quest with the best"

I have thoughts on how you can whip your level 20 cleric into fighting shape for EN, level up to 25, get your 1750 favor unlocked, then tr him into a more solo-friendly cleric who can still raid heal, but I need more info first. So a few questions:

1) Can you afford a +2 wisdom tome? If not, I'm thinking 1750 favor first (in order to get the +2 wisdom tome along with 32pt build) is the way to go.

2) Do you have or can you get the cleric commendation gear from Eveningstar? You only need 10 "Clerics of Amaunator" Commendations to get the necklace and ring (5 each) which are the key items. The armor isn't needed.

3) Can you solo Invaders! on normal? Hires are totally fine for this. (Any wf melee would be ideal.)

4) Most important: Do you have epic destinies, and if so what did you choose as your starting destiny? If you have them and haven't chose one, I urge you to take Exalted Angel first for the nice sla damage spell. (Among other reasons.) That sla alone can let you solo EN content, albeit a bit slowly and methodically, and you can get that sla with your first two AP.

5) What content do you own? VIP? If premium what packs? Do you have MotU?

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default DDO Korea Season II on Ghallanda

On Ghallanda there is a large contingent of Koreans. Strong Korean guild. Very strong.

Filled with great players, speaking Korean helps. They do zerg, but they love to have clerics join.

You didn't tell us the server or if you are a VIP. If you are VIP and can open elite you should be able to find groups fairly easily.

I solo with my 28 pt clerics a lot. My 28 pt clerics did end game stuff, now they are behind the times as the new stuff I haven't even played. I own it, but have not played it.

My clerics are pure clerics. Blade Barrier is my friend. I have radiant servant on. Level drain and destruction work great. Slay living is nice. I use a +5 tower shield and a potency sceptre.

My three favorite SOLO characters, which are basically universal, are a Warforged XX sorceror/2 paladin levels, a pure HUMAN cleric, or a Warforged XX Wizard/2 Rogue/2 Paladin. You take the paladin levels for saves. I find that the magic is much more powerful than wielding a weapon.

I also have played a halfling XX ranger/XX rogue/2nd monk. But he starts to have problems on the high level stuff, but is a terror on the low level stuff, quests of 13th or less.

At the time I wrote this, there were 15 DDO Korea Season II players on. Ranging from 7th level on up.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 06-04-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

@Azarddoze:
    Thanks and hello. I do like my cleric, because when I can group I really enjoy being the support/sustain guy. On the occasion I can find a raid LFM I am flagged for, I really enjoy raid healing. It's not so much that I want uber DPS but that I am failing to complete content because I just can't kill, and the mobs slowly whittle me down in basically any post-Shroud content.

The TR advice is useful and needed. That's kind of why I want to make sure I have another solid character in the wings before I TR, in case I get stuck.

I would like to get into epic levels, but right now I just am not finding groups. The groups I see are for content I am not flagged for yet. I think I would need to get to a point where I can solo to push ahead a bit, and from there I could get some groups once I have "caught up" a bit.

@Blue100000005 and Starden.

I am on Argonessen. I picked Argonessen after previously having mains on Khyber and then Cannith. I came to Argonessen because it was the place I could find the best server pop at the time.

Also, thanks Starden for the great advice on the Mabar robe. I will definitely try that. I have kind of been itching to get a nice arcane caster together.

@EllisDee37:
    Thanks!
    1. I have eaten a +2 wisdom tome. It was delicious.
    2. I have gotten one piece of the commendation stuff so far. I can't really solo for more though. I'll have to get lucky with an LFM.
    3. I can solo invaders and have done so several times. I think I have done it on hard, if memory serves.
    4. I have epic destinies and I chose Stalwart Sentinel to get more hitpoints and a positive energy spell power boost. Maybe I should have gone with Exalted Angel, but at the time I was trying to keep up with the big boys in Shroud runs.
    5. I am premium, but I have all packs available, and bought MoTU. I also have all races and classes.

@moomooprincess:
    I appreciate the heads up. I am actually a bit sad to hear that, because that sounds ideal, but I don't think I can take changing servers again. I do speak Korean fairly fluently, but English is my native language.

I do own all the content, but I am not VIP, so the opening elite bit is a problem. Because I live and work in Korea, paying for stuff in terms of dollars is a problem. I can do so intermittently to pick up points, but can't really do a subscription.

Potency scepter sounds like a good idea. I haven't really tried level drain and destruction, because I've figured my DC is too low. As my 28 point character without great gear I think my wisdom is only about 32.

I actually have multiple characters that are really good on low level stuff. On content up to level 15 or so I am a vet and have run every quest a million times. Heh. My characters all sort of peter out once mob HP goes through the roof, which seems to be basically anything a little higher level.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and support!

Community Member

If you are not concerned with epic elite, most epic content is easier than anything between 13 and 20. keep going
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

My advice would be to jump in to the Kings Forest because there is a mountain load of XP in there and commendations drop pretty easily from the rares in there, you could post up your own LFM stating that this is what you are doing and you will probably find a few players jump in with you. I do this a lot at a variety of levels because the kills come in quick so can jump out, reset and repeat really quick and easy!

Stoner81.

Go to a house where they farm gold. Make them quit and play ddo with you.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default OK, you can't switch servers

Your cleric sounds like my 28 pt cleric.

My level 20 28 pt cleric

HP 394
    Mana 2194

Favor = 2783

AC = 50

I have a lot of raid loot and I have stuff and arch magi hat +concentration+15 and epic calvary plate from Crystal Cove, all optimized. That is my gear.

On my main attack bar I have fire storm, blade barrier, destruction, slay living, banishment(trade this out at times), energy drain, diefic vengeance, holy smite, comet fall, and Radiant Servant. You lay down blade barrier and level drain the bad guys, then hit them with slay living/destruction/banishment depending on the bad guy. Sometimes you have to level drain three or four times. The end bosses are a strict run around blade barriers heals and hit them with any damage spell I can figure out.

I use the panther and a summoned monster. Just purchased the owl bear but have not taken it out as I am playing on a different server. If that is not enough I actually buy a normal plat hireling.

I say push on with getting your favor for the 32 point builds. It is only a game, so you fail a quest. You learn from the failure(s) and then get it the next time.

I mostly play solo because I hate waiting for groups to fill. I take my time when by myself. I can go get a soda if I feel like it or a snack and no one is angry I left for a bit. I can even talk on the phone, as long as I keep moving my guy around and I won't log off.

Good luck. If my old fingers can make play this game, I am sure yours can also.

BTW, I don't speak one word of Korean. Luckily, when I play with them one of them speaks english or I know enough of what is going on that I just do my job. I must do okay, they still let me play with them if I ask to join their group.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 06-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

I suggest you use the free LR from Kruz to swap to a dc build. Even doing so your dcs won't be great, but they will be good enough to solo EN content fairly easily.

Here's a 28pt helf pure 20 cleric I wouldn't normally recommend, but should fit your situation:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Helf Cleric
    Level 25 Half-Elf (any alignment, either gender)
    (20 Cleric \ 5 Epic) 

Abilities        28pt
    Strength          10
    Dexterity          8
    Constitution      14
    Intelligence      10
    Wisdom            18
    Charisma          10

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7

Skills             Ranks
    Concentration        23
    Heal                  1
    Jump                 11 

Feats
     1 : Toughness
     1D: Half-Elf Dilettante: Barbarian
     3 : Maximize Spell
     6 : Empower Healing Spell
     9 : Quicken Spell
    12 : Heighten Spell
    15 : Spell Penetration
    18 : Greater Spell Penetration
    21E: Great Ability: Wisdom
    24E: Great Ability: Wisdom

Exalted Angel
    Wisdom V
    Avenging Light
    Healing Power III
    Radiant Power III
    Endless Faith III
    Renewal III
    Twist 1: Brace for Impact (Unyielding Sentinel, Tier 1)

Level 1 (Cleric)
    Skill: Concentration (+4)
    Skill: Jump (+2)
    Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Barbarian
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting I
    Enhancement: Improved Heal I

Level 2 (Cleric)
    Skill: Concentration (+1)
    Skill: Jump (+0.5)
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
    Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Level 3 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Half-Elf Barbarian Toughness I

Level 4 (Cleric)
    Ability Raise: WIS
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting II

Level 5 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Improved Heal II
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I

Level 6 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I

Level 7 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II

Level 8 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Half-Elf Barbarian Toughness II

Level 9 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II

Level 10 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Charisma I

Level 11 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Charisma II

Level 12 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II

Level 13 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting III

Level 14 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV

Level 15 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting IV

Level 16 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning II
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I

Level 17 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration II

Level 18 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration

Level 19 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration III

Level 20 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III

Level 21 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Wisdom

Level 24 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Wisdom
    Enhancements

Radiant Servant II
    Life Magic IV
    Smiting IV
    Spell Penetration III
    Wisdom III
    Human Adaptability: Wisdom

Human Improved Recovery II
    Half-Elf Toughness II
    Racial Toughness II

Energy of the Zealot I
    Extra Turning II
    Charisma II (prestige prereq)

Divine Vitality I (prestige prereq)
    Improved Heal II (prestige prereq)
    Improved Turning I (prestige prereq)
    Prayer of Life I (prestige prereq)
    Prayer of Incredible Life I (prestige prereq)

Stats

18 base
    6 levelups
    2 tome
    2 feats
    4 enhancements
    7 item (cleric commendation necklace)
    2 insightful (cleric commendation ring)
    5 destiny
    ---
    46 wisdom (18 mod)

10 base
    9 heighten
    18 wisdom
    ---
    37 DC (base for all spells, not counting items)

20 levels
    4 feats
    3 enhancements
    2 item
    ---
    29 spell penetration

Gear

Head: Minos Legens
    Eyes: Magewright's Spectacles
    Neck: Symbol of the Shining Sun
    Back: Magewright's Cloak
    Wrist: War Wizard's Bracers
    Hand: Purple Dragon Gauntlets
    Waist: Lootgen health +6 or better
    Feet: Lootgen striding boots
    Ring: Signet of the Shining Sun
    Ring: Lootgen resistance
    Trinket: Dusk Heart (farm one up or check ah)
    Armor: Blue Dragonplate (can buy blue scales in ah cheap; start with Elfcraft Plate if can't afford scales yet)
    Weapon: Scepter of Healing (red slot: Devotion +90)
    Shield: Dalorent's Seal (red slot: Impulse +90)

After LRing:

First get the scepter of healing from Invaders! token turn-in and Dalorent's Seal from necro3 scarab turn-in. The individual scarabs as well as the combined scarab can be bought from the ah, so check there first. Then slot them up with devotion and impulse. The scepter of healing is nice in that it uses wisdom for attack and damage, making it useful for finishing off mostly-dead mobs. (Like if your blade barrier just ran out but a few stragglers survived.)

The Druid's Deep chain reward gives stacks of 3 commendations, your choice on type. So even if you need to run it on epic casual, this chain is your go-to commendation farm. Epic normal would be better if you can swing it for the better xp. This is where you'll farm up the truckload of commendation gear listed above, as well as get some xp for your effort.

The Magewright's set is in there because farming up a dragon cloak from eveningstar challenges isn't going to be viable. When both magewright's items are upgraded you get +1 to all dcs.

The ultimate goal for your armor is Restored Elfcraft Plate, but you need to get everything else taken care of before EN gianthold becomes viable.

Tactics

You're in a bit of a bind going it solo, so I say abuse the hireling crutch with abandon. Don't actually bring hirelings with you while questing, but keep three different cleric hirelings with divine vitality III in your pack at all times. Whenever running low on mana and far from a shrine, run back to the start of the quest and summon/dismiss all 3 hires, one after the other, using all their dvs on you. This is worth ~1500 spell points each time, and can be done once every 5 minutes. Be sure Tempys Lorben is one of them; he has a whopping 28 dvs.

While actually questing, I wouldn't use summons or hires or anything with you, as they tend to mess up blade barrier kiting. Your bread and butter will be blade barrier and implosion for groups, then destruction and slay living to clean up stragglers. Use energy drain to soften em up if destruction doesn't kill them. Blow through your mana without care as long as you can physically get back to the start of the quest since the hires give you unlimited mana.

(In pugs, greater command is a strong cc while using destruction/slay living on enemy casters.)

As for healing, the main goal is to heal most of your damage via aura plus the occasional burst, saving all your mana for instakills and blade barrier. This is why the focus on turns and healing amp.

Leveling

The goal is to get Unyielding Sentinel to level 3 so you can switch over to Exalted Angel as quickly as possible and get that maxed out. The initial xp farming will likely come from druid's deep as you farm up the commendations you need; that should be worth a couple hundred k at least.

When you first start gearing up via epics, spam energy drain like it's going out of style in order to land destruction and slay living.

The moment you get Exalted Angel unlocked switch to it and get Avenging Light and manually set it to have Maximize "always on." It should do hundreds of damage per shot for 3 spell points with a very short cooldown.

Community Member

I'll add just a little tip if you want to solo new content on normal at least.

What you can do is get an hireling melee and... while this may sound a bit boring, you'd be it's pocket healer. Divine punishement is enought to take care of any single boss/tougher mob on that difficulty. Before entering a room, you can just send in your hireling first so he picks up the agro then, if you can with the DCs, it is also a good way to practice being a CC/Healer Cleric, which I think is a fun playstyle. Even better when your CCs replace the healing needed and all that time can now be used for more DPS!

I am saying this mostly because I know that once you've soloed a quest at your own rhythm, it's easier then to post your own LFM. I think it's worth trying them at least. Fear is for the weak!

If you were looking for a Cleric DC based-build, EllisDee's one is pretty straight foward and offer a good starting point that you can tweak to your own preferences if you'd want to. Also I am leveling a DC Cleric at the moment (granted it has all the casters live under it's belt so it might be different) but my memory is pretty fresh about it so don't hesitate if you've got anymore questions.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Yeah, Ghallanda has a fairly thriving Korean population (DDO Korea is one guild). You might want to consider switching servers.

DDO Korea has kind of a legendary status, as some of those guys are crazy good.

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

What are the names of your two 20th level characters? I'll keep an eye out for you and try to help you get flagged for some stuff and pick up better gear.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Totally misread the title as I thought the "a" of "ahead" wasn't there... what's on a man's mind I guess.

On subject: Feel free to put up the lfm your self, half the time I'm just looking for a way to spend my time and I'm sure there are other players out there that feel the same way.

Parties are always looking for a Cleric, especially the more then decent healing type.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

@moomooprincess

Wow, your gear sounds amazing! Mine is nowhere near that. My work is very seasonal (university) and I almost always managed to be swamped around crystal cove time, unfortunately.

@EllisDee

Wow, thanks for the really comprehensive advice! I didn't know I could get a free LR. I will probably copy this advice quite closely. I know I have some Invaders tokens stashed away already, so it shouldn't be too hard to farm more. I have run Necro3 before but don't remember it well. I'll have to take a look.

I am also only about 8k experience shy of getting my epic destiny to level 3, so I should be able to switch to exalted angel soon.

All of this advice is gold. I really appreciate it.

@Azarddroze

This is also great stuff. Thanks. I'll definitely try hirelings out a bit more. I wish I was a little richer and had either picked up the panther, or felt like I could afford the owlbear. I think it's like $40 for the owlbear though... too rich for my blood. Any specific plat hirelings you would recommend more than others for the melee route?

@Sebastrd

I have only one actual 20, Seongkun or Argonessen. I also have a 19 bard on Khyber that I don't expect to ever unmothball. Argo is home for now.

@Lightbear

I generally try to keep it PG rated. I am not too afraid to put up an LFM, but what trips me up is that I don't know the content, so it is hard to be a leader. I feel more comfortable leading content once I have done it once in a group or solo.

@bsquishwizzy

I may consider rolling a Ghallanda toon. I'll give it some thought. Starting over again with a new 28 pointer when I am so close to 32 on Argo is a bit depressing though... I might do so with an iconic, if those seem to be able to made viable.

@Sebastrd

I have only one actual 20, Seongkun or Argonessen. I also have a 19 bard on Khyber that I don't expect to ever unmothball. Argo is home for now.
    I'm on Argo, am currently "in between" passion projects, and am often online at odd hours for my timezone -- East Coast US, but overnights are my usual playtime, and would be happy to help you out. I have lots of capped characters plus a couple 15s.

We could even farm you up an addy dragon cloak, which would be ideal for you since it gives +2 to all dcs without taking up the shield slot. (It takes forever to farm one of those cloaks even with perfect play.) Regardless of anything else I could help you quickly hammer out your 1750 favor.

As it approaches midnight here I'm getting ready to log on; I'll look for you on the Who panel and see if we can't get you up and running.

EDIT: My alts are named Ellisdee, Ellismagi, Elliskensei, Ellistempest and Ellischalice.

@Lightbear

I generally try to keep it PG rated. I am not too afraid to put up an LFM, but what trips me up is that I don't know the content, so it is hard to be a leader. I feel more comfortable leading content once I have done it once in a group or solo.

If I don't know the content I usually put up "Guide needed" in the LFM, this attracts the right kind of players usually. You'll be amazed that some players have one particular favored quest that they know on the inside and out as they like to play that one quest over and over again. (I'm Ghallanda based, so this is my experience on this server.)

Btw, getting from 28 to 32 points gives you a whole new game experience. Same can be said for TR-ing. There's no need to be afraid of this, it's a quest of it's own. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

Unyielding Sentinel is actually decent for Radiant Servant. Stay in Vigor Battle stance for the HP boost. Destiny points on; max Brace for Impact, Endless Turning for +3 bursts/auras and they regen 30% faster. Also Healing Hands, and Endless Lay on Hands for the +25 positive and 4 Lay on Hands that regen 30% faster- LoH is soo freaking good. Empower Heal works on Lay on Hands.

It may sound dull but get to 25 and grind the ed farms to get max Twists of Fate and your Eds capped- goes a long way in making your character profoundly better.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Rubbinns; 06-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast