Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default From another thread

Awesomium is browser built up on Web Kit. It spawns a process for every page loaded in the application/browser inside. It is similar to Google Chrome spawning a process for every single tab, window or extension.

My questions:

Why ddoclient want to open these browsers regardless to whether I use ddo store or not?
    - I understand this: you want to have this page prepared to popup without waiting to load. But why 6-8 instances?

Why one of webpages takes more CPU in compare to ddoclient itself?

My advice: Do revision of browser usage, loading pages, etc. Are all these pages really necessary to be loaded from the very beginning? Do you really need an active script running inside of the browser when this browser is not visible?

Oh, finally, this is funny

Last edited by Wanesa; 06-05-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    The easiest solution is to simply delete (or rename) the .exe. DDO works fine, but you won't be able to use the store.
    I'm surprised it doesn't download the beast again if you pull that trick, as DDO checks all it's elements ( if they are here, if they have the right timestamp, if they have the right checksum... among other things ) at startup.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Default It does.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    I'm surprised it doesn't download the beast again if you pull that trick, as DDO checks all it's elements ( if they are here, if they have the right timestamp, if they have the right checksum... among other things ) at startup.
    I have gone into x86 and tried deleting, renaming, moving, just about everything I knew to do to get rid of awesomium from my Turbine directory.

As soon as you fire up the good old launcher it just re-installs it right back into the turbine directory, and then fires up to 12 so far is the highest I have had going on in my task manager. Usually hangs at 7 or 8 open processes in task manager though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Could you please explain in more detail ? When I delete it launcher downloads it next time .
    I have ancient system, and literally can't play without lag/rubberbanding/freezes since they introduced it. It really gets worse every update.
    You're right, I forgot that people still use the official launcher, given how terrible it is. But then again, I still play DDO so I guess I shouldn't talk. If you don't use the turbine launcher to load up DDO, you can bypass the check. There are a handful of third party launchers floating around, just do a search.

Here's another option: a short autoit script you can run once or keep in the background to keep the awesomium processes closed

Pre compiled: https://mega.co.nz/#!5sFwyCQC!dC8n3x...-Qj9Dn6A-yggVA
    Code:
    while 1
    	$a = processlist( "awesomiumprocess.exe" )
    	for $i = 1 to $a[0][0] step 1
    		processclose($a[$i][1])
    	Next
    	sleep(1000)
    WEnd

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post

Here's another option: a short autoit script you can run once or keep in the background to keep the awesomium processes closed
    I'm wondering how much resources this would take on the OP's machine.
    And I don't think everybody is comfortable with AutoIT

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

I have this problem as well, and the performance impact is non-trivial.

I have a workaround, but it's stupid and paying customers should *never* need to do this. Deleting the awesomiumprocess.exe after the launcher finishes it's update thread and logging in prevents all those processes from loading. True, I can't use the store or anything like that, but I can at least play the game again.

Not going to hold my breath for Turbine to fix it, since they aren't even willing to acknowledge that this probably isn't working the way it was intended (I hope they don't think it is anyway).

It would be super if the dev's or someone in tech support could at least touch base with us on the subject and let us know if this is WAI or if it's something that they will need to address in another patch..

The game releases a good 10% of memory just from shutting down the (7!!!) processes. This is a good chunk of the 4 gigs I have installed, considering when running DDO and a browser I'm sitting at 85% memory usage. If I turn off awesomium's, I can get back to a more comfortable 75% memory usage, which means I crash the client less often when changing zones.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

A new challenge for those with uber gamer systems:

Multibox as many DDO client instances as possible, and count the number of Awesomium processes your system can support. Maximum number of Awesomium processes gets the bragging rights. Screenies required of course.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    A new challenge for those with uber gamer systems:

Multibox as many DDO client instances as possible, and count the number of Awesomium processes your system can support. Maximum number of Awesomium processes gets the bragging rights. Screenies required of course.
    Screenies to come later, but already said earlier on that I disliked all 42 processes running. Which should tell you roughly how many clients I had running. Previously named it a House Party (6 clients), but probably could hit a full 12 client run, just need 6 more accounts to use. (I'll probably just make 6 more f2p accounts just to try it out for 84 processes of AwesomiumProcess.exe*32 running)

And here (after the edit) are some of the pics (edited slightly for certain reasons)

Last edited by The-Storyteller; 06-07-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Spelling on certain details and image insertion

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The-Storyteller View Post
    Screenies to come later, but already said earlier on that I disliked all 42 processes running. Which should tell you roughly how many clients I had running. Previously named it a House Party (6 clients), but probably could hit a full 12 client run, just need 6 more accounts to use. (I'll probably just make 6 more f2p accounts just to try it out for 84 processes of AwesomiumProcess.exe*32 running)
    Congrats!

My laptop has only been dualed boxed, with a total of 14 Awesomium processes. Given how hard that hits my hard drive, I would be afraid to try to triple box on my system.

By the way, we are not constrained by party/raid size. Anyone who wants to stand in the Harbor and go past 12 is well within the contest rules.

We also do not discriminate. Turbine employees are also welcome to enter, and display the uberness of their development systems which convinced them that the current design was reasonable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlanon View Post
    I have this problem as well, and the performance impact is non-trivial.
    I'll say. Running two clients halts my pc* down every 10 minutes unless I kill 14-20+ processes.

*I built this pc a month ago, and it has an i7 3770k in it. NOTHING else chugs on it. Wait no, except Lotro =) Not a coincidence. Sigh.

And great, the forums logged me out twice between the time I read a few threads and went to post. Do they not want me to play this game? Does no one at Turbine play this game? Both?

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I did some experiment tonight with the awesomiumprocess.exe.

I managed to kill 4 of them ( those that took the less memory ) and I still could use the Store and the Support Page.
    On the other hand trying to get the splash screen that replaced MyDDO crashed the game.

So for those that have a performance problem because of the processes but still want to use the store, this might be a workaround until such time that Turbine gets
    their brain together and stops using third party piece of garbage.
    Last edited by Flavilandile; 06-08-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    I did some experiment tonight with the awesomiumprocess.exe.

I managed to kill 4 of them ( those that took the less memory ) and I still could use the Store and the Support Page.
    On the other hand trying to get the splash screen that replaced MyDDO crashed the game.

So for those that have a performance problem because of the processes but still want to use the store, this might be a workaround until such time that Turbine gets
    their brain together and stops using third party piece of garbage.
    I've just gotten into the habit of killing the one that spikes every 6 seconds and that fixes the only real issue I have without affecting store use. Though as an experiment, I did kill all of them and the game seems to run okay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    I've just gotten into the habit of killing the one that spikes every 6 seconds and that fixes the only real issue I have without affecting store use. Though as an experiment, I did kill all of them and the game seems to run okay that way.
    Good to know. Might try that when lag gets really bad.
    There is no free lunch.

Founder

As I said in another thread, they should at least give us an option in Settings to not load each Awesomium process. They could explain what each one is for (tooltip) and warn that we won't have access to that system in-game. That way at least the people who are having problems with it could still play the game.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    As I said in another thread, they should at least give us an option in Settings to not load each Awesomium process. They could explain what each one is for (tooltip) and warn that we won't have access to that system in-game. That way at least the people who are having problems with it could still play the game.
    Not going to happen as long as one of them is connected to their store. I'm actually surprised the game still plays without them due to that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    Congrats!

My laptop has only been dualed boxed, with a total of 14 Awesomium processes. Given how hard that hits my hard drive, I would be afraid to try to triple box on my system.

By the way, we are not constrained by party/raid size. Anyone who wants to stand in the Harbor and go past 12 is well within the contest rules.

We also do not discriminate. Turbine employees are also welcome to enter, and display the uberness of their development systems which convinced them that the current design was reasonable.
    I don't think you'll be seeing many 6+ client runs. The "House Party" (6 client) is probably - for the atypical gamer, the most likely one that you'll see happening any time soon due to the requirements involved.

For reference:

CPU

A non overclocked i7 3820 will start stuttering heavily on reaching 7 clients. Any more than that and you're playing with a very expensive picture frame PC (0.5 FPS, not the game, but your machine). Each client appears to want to use between 8-13% of the CPU (ie, each CPU fully) on my 3820. Meaning you'll need a 3930 or better (6 core +) in order to see a 6+ client being run. And even then unlikely to be a full raid (12 client run) unless it's a Multi CPU setup (16+ thread capable etc) with lots of RAM to spare as well.

Of interest to this thread, would be that 7 clients should of been fine on a 3820 (8 thread), but with so many AwesomiumProcess.exe*32 killing off the remaining CPU power, it's not viable in its current state. So even a Dual/Multi CPU handling 16 threads might have issues running a Ballroom Party (12+ clients).

RAM

Each client will use up to 2GB of RAM. A House Party already equals 12GB RAM potentially. This isn't likely to be an issue, but factor in OS usage etc, and you'll need at least 16GB RAM for just the House Party, to say nothing of the Ballroom Party.

Storage

Haven't really tested this out, but created a copy of DDO onto a RAM Drive, and made Symbolic Links to it (reducing the amount of Storage needed and increased access bandwidth). Was fearful of what would happen to a flash SSD if I tried it on that. Thankfully it wasn't stressed at all. So standard flash SSD's are probably fine so long as it's a House Party setup.

GPU

Assuming you lower all the settings down to above Medium settings, you can run all the clients of a House Party well enough 30-45 FPS with a 7950 3GB. Any more than that and I can't say if it'll work, this is because of my own CPU limitation on reaching the 7 client mark. Or you can run it at max settings but using one client full screen.

Logging into many Accounts

Not recommended to log in more than 3 accounts at once. The World Servers will bounce you most likely from the 4th Account onwards.

---

And if you're wondering yes, I hit the Ballroom Party setup (84 AwesomiumProcess.exe*32), but was not playable.

Community Member

Default What would be nice........

It would be nice if there was a community representative that works for DDO specifically that would give the community a comment on this subject.

Completely ignoring us on this subject is getting irksome, it is not going to go away on it's own, and leaving the community to sit here and conjecture up our own theories is frankly, stupid.

We are asking for information from you guys, why are we being treated as though we are insignificant and do not deserve a response from a representative on this subject? How hard would it be to get a reply from Turbine on this subject on Monday? Just say something, anything at all to try and get us to understand please.

Explain it to us like we were 5 year olds if you must, but please Turbine, stop ignoring us on the issue of the multiple Awesomium processes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I blame the Hobbits.

After all, when I've been hit with these recently, my log-in attempt hitches to a halt and crashes.

So I go play LOTRO instead. I'm sure Lobelia is involved somehow.

...Awesomium. Hehheh. So aptly named to sound like a bad viral invasion.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 06-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The-Storyteller View Post
    I don't think you'll be seeing many 6+ client runs.

And if you're wondering yes, I hit the Ballroom Party setup (84 AwesomiumProcess.exe*32), but was not playable.
    Thanks for all the detailed info. In light of the technical info provided, I am waving the screenie requirement and naming you the contest winner.

Quite obviously, this implementation is ridiculous. An acknowledgement of this from Turbine, along with an action plan for resolving the issue, would be appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast