Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In other MMO's

But our devs are busy working away like busy little beavers, unlike other MMOs where they spend all their time blethering on the forums and drinking tea.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDubh View Post
    But our devs are busy working away like busy little beavers, unlike other MMOs where they spend all their time blethering on the forums and drinking tea.
    Yeah, those companion pets don't design themselves!
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    I disagree. My impression is that whenever we have a developer start contributing to the forums the a$$hat brigade comes out and drives them away.
    I guess they should grow thicker skin then. If they don't want criticism, then do a better job of producing a better end product.

Your comment applies to every single industry that provides a service to a customer.

Construction: Whenever a home builder has the home owner come by the job, there is the inevitable ****** comment from the home owner about how they want their kitchen and it doesn't look right they way the builder is doing it................This begins at the pouring of the foundation, and continues on through the framing process. But boy is the home owner happy when they see the end product.

Oil drilling: well, everybody thinks they could do a better/safer job of drilling oil than the pro's. Right up until they get socked in the face by the pro(s).

Logging: Well, loggers don't know how to log. This is evidenced by entities such as greenpeace. Nevermind how loggers are the first steward of the only green renewable resource that can do everything that oil does.

Being President of the United States: everyone thinks they are an armchair politician and could do a better job than whoever is president at that time. I would hate to see what would happen to the U.S. if the President decided he didn't need to talk to anyone anymore. I bet there would be a civil war real quick there.

It is amazing what a little communication can do to placate people. In this setting, our illustrious devs just need to learn how to talk to players while making it clear that NOTHING is set in stone. Instead of telling players what to expect, tell the players what they would like to do, while making it clear that doing so will be trial and error.

Stop pulling their head in their shell like a turtle in hiding when they screw up, and come right out and say it: They screwed up.

Tell the players straight up, none of the hinky arsed shirking of responsibility when they DO screw up. Let us know there was a screw up, and it is being worked on. And then, follow through with that and fix the issue UNTIL IT IS FIXED.

Simple really. Just be honest and I think they would have quite a bit less vitriol spewed at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post

Simple really. Just be honest and I think they would have quite a bit less vitriol spewed at them.

I used to think that way. I've changed my mind over the years of watching this forum.

Even when the devs/mods are remotely honest and open they will get slammed like a whack-a-mole. The internet is full of unbridled savages who allow their inner sociopaths to take over. Not everyone obviously, but enough that even a cursory glance at un-moderated twitter or forum pages gives one a good idea of how quickly things can turn ugly.

If there is an update that only fixes bugs, people freak out about how they aren't paying for bug fixes and how they want new content. If there is an update with new content and only a few bugs get fixed, people freak out about how buggy this game is and how Turbine shouldn't bother with new content until the old content is fixed.

On top of that, we can't have one semi-positive thread go more than 10 posts before some disgruntled players dive bomb it with their pet peeves or game bashing. I don't remember the name, but a couple of years back one of the devs wrote how sometimes they'll look at the forum on break to laugh at all the nerd rage.

The forum is its own worst enemy.
    Last edited by Postumus; 06-05-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    We can't have one semi-positive thread go more than 10 posts before some disgruntled players dive bomb it with their pet peeves or game bashing.
    I have noticed this, and quite honestly even I am guilty of not bumping threads of this nature that should be bumped, I have to say I honestly fear being over-handed moderated if I bump the positive threads more than I fear the players though. One never knows exactly what word will cause moderation, it seems to fluctuate from day to day, poster to poster.

I don't remember the name, but a couple of years back one of the devs wrote how sometimes they'll look at the forum on break to laugh at all the nerd rage.
    Lol, sounds like the honesty that MajMal was so well respected for.

The forum is its own worst enemy.
    I personally think poor decision making is the forums worst enemy, the players are mostly just responding to it in the wrong manner.

Myself included at times. Many times.
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 06-05-2013 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

In that other MMO I'm currently playing, there was such a huge screw up with an event that we have the CEO basically melting into apologies on the forum and main page of the site.. you can almost see the guy bowing on the floor.
    While answering and apologizing 1000x to the players, he stated this (he's not an english native therefore: typos and broken english included, some things changed to omit game related names, bold by me):

Development team in general gets pressure for the quick revenue generating things like <cash shop item> to recoupe the development cost. Once again, it is the publisher's role to let them hear your voice clear eoungh to relize what is best for longevity of game. We will continue our discussion with studio including your suggestion to make changes.
    Mind you, this is the CEO, going on the forums and confirming that which the players know... but unlike Turbine, who likes to hide and keep us in ignorance, he admits that the main focus is profit and the rest comes second.

Perhaps Turbine should start considering their level of communication with its players... because the CEO and a bunch of communication is the only thing that is cooling down the massive rage that erupted from that screw up.

If this had been Turbine, we'd have just a bunch of silence and a moronic post on the announcements asking for our patience while we wait for fixes for few months.

Oh, and the screw up was fixed within not even 24 hours... from a company that has some 6 games all live and being constantly developed under their belt. Turbine = incompetence.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post
    In that other MMO I'm currently playing, there was such a huge screw up with an event that we have the CEO basically melting into apologies on the forum and main page of the site.. you can almost see the guy bowing on the floor.
    While answering and apologizing 1000x to the players, he stated this (he's not an english native therefore: typos and broken english included, some things changed to omit game related names, bold by me):

Mind you, this is the CEO, going on the forums and confirming that which the players know... but unlike Turbine, who likes to hide and keep us in ignorance, he admits that the main focus is profit and the rest comes second.

Perhaps Turbine should start considering their level of communication with its players... because the CEO and a bunch of communication is the only thing that is cooling down the massive rage that erupted from that screw up.

If this had been Turbine, we'd have just a bunch of silence and a moronic post on the announcements asking for our patience while we wait for fixes for few months.

Oh, and the screw up was fixed within not even 24 hours... from a company that has some 6 games all live and being constantly developed under their belt. Turbine = incompetence.
    Since you say non native english speaking. Is that by chance an asian company ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    Since you say non native english speaking. Is that by chance an asian company ?
    While fully international, they operate mainly in Asia and US and have publishers spread all over. Their origin is indeed Asian and quite an old company, almost as old as Turbine.
    Last edited by Aussir; 06-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12