Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

[double post]
    Last edited by Alcedes; 06-03-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    How is it, with all the myriad other bugs in the game, that you fail to recognize this as yet another bug in the long line of bugs still existing in DDO? Since this is helpful to players, I expect they will prioritize this over all other bugs - just as they do all other bugs which are beneficial to players and continue to ignore as many of the bugs which are detrimental to players as they are able.
    Because if it is already not working properly (on a toon schedule for a TR ASAP) it makes me worry that this is a game bug that could potentially persist thru the TR. Maybe because of all the other bugs that go unfixed in thi game, I was hoping to get some kind of confirmation that this IS a bug and they intend to fix it. I do not want to TR the guy to find that my greater tome is not giving me the full 50% bonus because of some bug they decided wasnt important enough to fix just yet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alcedes View Post
    Actually, I am not sure that it is working correctly.

If I am running a level 19 quest, it is heroic. I should still gain my heroic tome bonus for running that quest. I always did. Until I "upgraded" of course.
    As many others have told you, you are mistaken. You never got a bonus from your Tome of Learning once you hit level 20 before U18. They still work exactly the same way now. The only change is that when the Heroic Tome of Learning fades out (which happens at the exact same time now as it did before, despite your claims) the Epic Tome of Learning will now pick up.

The ingame text should certainly be corrected. But the way that it has always worked is that heroic and epic XP are different, not heroic and epic quests.
    Last edited by ForumAccess; 06-03-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Community Member

Because if it is already not working properly (on a toon schedule for a TR ASAP) it makes me worry that this is a game bug that could potentially persist thru the TR. Maybe because of all the other bugs that go unfixed in thi game, I was hoping to get some kind of confirmation that this IS a bug and they intend to fix it. I do not want to TR the guy to find that my greater tome is not giving me the full 50% bonus because of some bug they decided wasnt important enough to fix just yet.
    And as I and another poster already informed you, Cordovan has stated the heroic tomes kick in on TR, which leads me to believe they tested this scenario before release. Of course, it is possible Cordovan is just repeating what s/he is being told to say. So, there are only really two ways to find out for sure:

1. TR and check that your heroic tome is active
    OR
    2. Find someone who TR'd and ask if their heroic tome is active.

Other than that, that is all the information anyone is going to be able to give you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    As many others have told you, you are mistaken. You never got a bonus from your Tome of Learning once you hit level 20 before U18. They still work exactly the same way now. The only change is that when the Heroic Tome of Learning fades out (which happens at the exact same time now as it did before, despite your claims) the Epic Tome of Learning will now pick up.

The ingame text should certainly be corrected. But the way that it has always worked is that heroic and epic XP are different, not heroic and epic quests.
    Yeah, I suppose I did not type that nearly the way that I meant it.

The point of it all was that the quest is heroic....yet my epic tome is affecting it erroneously

OMG players moaning about getting more xp from Epic tomes. Bet this gets fixed now that it been brought up.

If you are level 20 and above Epic tomes are the ones working for xp bonus.

If level 1 to 19 its your heroic tomes that are working for xp bonus , I have TR'ed and this is the way it is.
    I had no problems with the tomes i have read and im sure when i get back up to level 20 my epic tomes will kick back in again.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirShen View Post
    OMG players moaning about getting more xp from Epic tomes. Bet this gets fixed now that it been brought up.

If you are level 20 and above Epic tomes are the ones working for xp bonus.

If level 1 to 19 its your heroic tomes that are working for xp bonus , I have TR'ed and this is the way it is.
    I had no problems with the tomes i have read and im sure when i get back up to level 20 my epic tomes will kick back in again.
    Oh, look! A unicorn!

Community Member

Yeah, I suppose I did not type that nearly the way that I meant it.

The point of it all was that the quest is heroic....yet my epic tome is affecting it erroneously
    So perhaps the bug in all this is simply in text of the heroic tome. Perhaps it should state that it affects heroic level characters rather than quests.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNuegebaer View Post
    So perhaps the bug in all this is simply in text of the heroic tome. Perhaps it should state that it affects heroic level characters rather than quests.
    The heroic tome clearly says it does not work I epic dungeons OR on characters level 20 and up.

So the level 20 character loses benefits from the heroic tome regardless of what level quest they are in.

The epic tome, appears to have a bug, or a description error, since it is working for a level 20 character in heroic quests. This bug benefits players at this time.

Hopefully they just update the description, because I think this benefit is so minor I don't think most people would even notice.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

You are above heroic lvl the epic tome will effect you no matter weather you are in a heroic or an epic quest.
    the heroic tome never gave you any bonus once you hit lvl 20.
    stop spreading missinformation that the tomes are not working because, you don't understand how they work.

Where is this unicorn??

Didn't read page 2, but to me, the tomes are working.

I read an epic tome when I reached 20 on my last life.

I TRed.

On my low level run, the heroic tome is working as always, giving +50% XP.

Still working on going back to cap to see if I lost the epic tome.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

There is a very simple explanation:
    Heroic Tome gives a bonus to Heroic XP (from lvl 1 to 19)
    Epic Tome gives a bonus to Epic XP (lvl 20+)

Epic tomes of learning provide epic XP--that is XP you get above level 20. It has nothing to do with whether the quest itself is epic or heroic. There are heroic quests that scale above 20.

ALL of the XP you gain above 20 is EPIC, irregardless of the quest you are taking. Therefore your Epic tome of learning applies.

If you were level 19, the previous tome of learning would apply.

None of this has ANYTHING to do with the dungeons, missions, quests, etc.

Epic XP DOES NOT equal Epic quests.

Herioc XP DOES NOT equal Heroic quests.

This whole thread is a case of confusing apples and oranges.
    The Old Timers Guild
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    >> Open to the Public! <<
    Founder #2231
    PROUD MEMBER OF MOURNLANDS

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

If I am running a level 19 quest, it is heroic. I should still gain my heroic tome bonus for running that quest. I always did. Until I "upgraded" of course.
    Until your character is level 20 is what you meant to say. Nothing to do with upgrading, it's how it's been since it was introduced in U14 I'm afraid, nothing has changed, just a simple misunderstanding on how you thought it worked. Quest level makes no difference.

Actually, the stupidity in all of this is that the whole system is clear as mud.

The way it should work is that Heroic Tomes should work on Heroic XP, regardless of level. Epic Tomes should work on Epic XP. The very fact that at level 20 I can be running level 20 and 21 Heroic quests and no longer get the benefit of my Heroic Tomes is just lame. The fact that the Tomes can't coexist on someone's character sheet is also lazy. Inactive tomes should at least show up as grayed out with tooltips that explain, "This Tome is currently inactive. Its effects are restricted to Characters who are between the levels of X and Y."

Why the players around here gnaw on each other when the system is clearly flawed, bugged, lazy, and unintuitive is beyond me.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    The way it should work is that Heroic Tomes should work on Heroic XP, regardless of level. Epic Tomes should work on Epic XP.
    That actually is exactly how they work now. All xp you earn prior to taking level 20 is heroic xp, all xp you earn after taking level 20 is epic xp (The actual quest being epic or heroic does not matter only your level) and, despite the descriptions mentioning quest tier, the heroic and epic tomes apply to the corresponding heroic and epic xp.

In the game there is a lot of confusion about whether the levels 18 to 22 are heroic or epic.
    You can do a Heroic level 18 quest on Elite and it would qualify as Epic as it's level 20, yet you started the quest as Heroic so the heroic tome should do it's work.
    Same can be said for a level 20 heroic quest on elite, it would be level 22, still the heroic tome of learning should qualify.
    Also you can start an Epic level 20 quest on Casual it would be a level 19 quest yet the epic tome of learning should kick in.
    This is probably how they intended that things should work.
    But it gets better, the level penalty won't kick in if you're more then 2 levels above the base level of the quest. So an epic character of level 20 can do that heroic level 18 quest on elite without any penalties. If he would do a level 17 on elite he gets a -10%.

It gets even more confusing when you look at gear, level 20 seems to count as both heroic and epic. Level 20 is kinda special as it's a transitional level, it's both heroic and epic at the same time.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

This thread left me slightly more confused then when i came here...

Can someone fill in the xp bonunses for greater heroic tome under the following settings:

Character level 19 / Elite TOD (Quest level 22)
    Character level 20 / Elite TOD (Quest level 22)
    Character level 20 / Elite Shroud (Quest level 19)

???

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    In the game there is a lot of confusion about whether the levels 18 to 22 are heroic or epic.
    No, there isn't. While there may be a lot of confused people (though I suspect it's really just a few) the issues is quite simple:

Character Level 1-19 = Heroic thus Heroic XP Tome applies.
    Character Level 20+ = Epic thus Epic XP Tome applies.

How's that confusing? Granted, anyone can make something simple seem complicated, as you did with the rest of the post I partially quoted.

Quest level is irrelevant. Did you enter the quest on the heroic tab, or epic tab? The answer instantly solves any imagined ambiguity.

In most cases, gear classification is irrelevant; (iirc) weapon [X] damage is the only exception. There are no effects I'm aware of in game that specifically work on "heroic gear" or "epic gear" exclusively. "Lucky Cape" "Deadly Weapons" and various ED effects apply equally weather the gear in question is from Korthos or the Forgotten Realms.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 06-05-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast