Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Tome of Epic Learning - WAI?

Umm...Was it suppose to overwrite my heroic Greater Tome of Learning (or whatever?) Because it did. Instead of getting a 50% xp bonus for first completions, I was getting a 15% bonus. This was not advertised and it is NOT okay. :/

So, I thought maybe I need to upgrade to the Greater Epic Tome (Ya, stupid me!) so I did. Now I am getting 25% heroic XP.

Is this WAI or is this another unintended bug?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alcedes View Post
    Umm...Was it suppose to overwrite my heroic Greater Tome of Learning (or whatever?) Because it did. Instead of getting a 50% xp bonus for first completions, I was getting a 15% bonus. This was not advertised and it is NOT okay. :/

So, I thought maybe I need to upgrade to the Greater Epic Tome (Ya, stupid me!) so I did. Now I am getting 25% heroic XP.

Seriously that sucks so much. Paying to end up with something worst.

BUT : "So, I thought maybe I need to upgrade to the Greater Epic Tome (Ya, stupid me!) so I did. Now I am getting 25% heroic XP." Thanks for the laugh! This is an awesome quote hehe. Hope this will get resolve if it is truely like that.

So yeah I have nothing useful to say but know that you made someone had a good time today at least with that bad situation!
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

honestly, if it is working as intended, fine. But at least WARN us. ***?

Community Member

My understanding from a previous Cordovan post is that once you apply the epic tome you will see the epic tome while in epic levels and the heroic tome while you are in heroic levels.

So all you have to do is TR to see it. I would like to see them change it so you can at least confirm you still have the heroic tome, but it should be there in stealth mode.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Well, first of all, I very much doubt you lost anything. It is possible the epic tome of learning over-wrote the heroic tome of learning. However, you will not know this for certain until you True Reincarnate.

Now, on to the empirical evidence that you are currently simply ranting.

If you read the description of the heroic tome of learning, it specifically states it does not affect characters of level 20 or higher. So, once you take 20 - even if you run heroic level quests - you get no learning bonus.

Next, you CANNOT read an epic tome of learning unless you are level 20. I know this because I have the epic tome of learning sitting in my level 14 cleric's bank - and she cannot read it because she is not level 20.

Next, it has been stated the epic tome of learning's graphic shows up in the same place as the heroic tome of learning's graphic. Further, it has been confirmed by a dev that this is intended (sorry, no link, but it is around on the new forums somewhere).

Finally, if you read the epic tome of greater learning's description, it clearly states the bonus is 25% for the first run and whatever after that. So, you have not been hood-winked, even though you think you have been.

Now, you may continue your ranting ...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    My understanding from a previous Cordovan post is that once you apply the epic tome you will see the epic tome while in epic levels and the heroic tome while you are in heroic levels.

So all you have to do is TR to see it. I would like to see them change it so you can at least confirm you still have the heroic tome, but it should be there in stealth mode.
    I am currently in a heroic quest. On elite. And the XP card says +25% xp for first time completion.

Community Member

I should have added that it sounds like you are level 20 and above and running heroic quests. I don't think you were supposed to get any xp from the old tome as it's only intended for heroic levels.

It would be good to get some clarification from Turbine on this for sure.
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

I am currently in a heroic quest. On elite. And the XP card says +25% xp for first time completion.
    What level are you?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I should have added that it sounds like you are level 20 and above and running heroic quests. I don't think you were supposed to get any xp from the old tome as it's only intended for heroic levels.

It would be good to get some clarification from Turbine on this for sure.
    the epic xp tome also specifically states that it has no effect on heroic quests...yet it is giving a 25% bonus to the heroic quest i am in right now.

Community Member

Ok. Let me restate this so you will understand (and use caps to increase the effectiveness): Once you are LEVEL TWENTY, the HEROIC tomes of learning DO NOT provide any benefit for you - REGARDLESS whether the quest is heroic. Once you are level 20 or above, the epic tomes of learning take over.

That better?

Community Member

the epic xp tome also specifically states that it has no effect on heroic quests...yet it is giving a 25% bonus to the heroic quest i am in right now.
    Well, then that portion of the logic is written wrong. Clearly, their logic is looking at your level, then deciding you get a bonus based solely on that. Expect that to be fixed. However, the logic controlling which tome of learning is benefiting you IS working correctly.

Community Member

And let me attempt to explain this to you so that you may better understand. And I too will throw in some caps for your benefit. And while I am at it, I will restate the points of my post several time and reword them each time to help make my point a little more clear.

I AM currently inside of a HEROIC quest. Yes, I am level 20. The quest is level 19.(on elite)

The HEROIC quest is NOT suppose to get a benefit from my EPIC tome.

but I can see plainly that the HEROIC quest is getting a 25% bonus to xp from my EPIC tome.

Regardless of my level, the quest (as a HEROIC) should not be getting the 25% boost from my tome (as it is EPIC) because the EPIC tome clearly reads that it has NO effect on quests that are HEROIC...

yet it is being affected...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Ok. Let me restate this so you will understand (and use caps to increase the effectiveness): Once you are LEVEL TWENTY, the HEROIC tomes of learning DO NOT provide any benefit for you - REGARDLESS whether the quest is heroic. Once you are level 20 or above, the epic tomes of learning take over.

That better?
    not sure if you are just being dense or not - but thats not what it says on the tome.

it says heroic level quests, not one word about levels.

SOME CAPS SINCE YOU WANT EMPHASIS!

when you click on say von 1 you have heroic level and epic level. if you are in epic, you should be getting the bonus from epic tome, if you are in heroic, you should get your bonus from the heroic. (even if you get no xp because you are more the 6 levels above the quest)

So can the sarcasm and try to be helpful k?

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

Well, then that portion of the logic is written wrong. Clearly, their logic is looking at your level, then deciding you get a bonus based solely on that. Expect that to be fixed. However, the logic controlling which tome of learning is benefiting you IS working correctly.
    Actually, I am not sure that it is working correctly.

If I am running a level 19 quest, it is heroic. I should still gain my heroic tome bonus for running that quest. I always did. Until I "upgraded" of course.

Community Member

And let me attempt to explain this to you so that you may better understand. And I too will throw in some caps for your benefit. And while I am at it, I will restate the points of my post several time and reword them each time to help make my point a little more clear.

I AM currently inside of a HEROIC quest. Yes, I am level 20. The quest is level 19.(on elite)

The HEROIC quest is NOT suppose to get a benefit from my EPIC tome.

but I can see plainly that the HEROIC quest is getting a 25% bonus to xp from my EPIC tome.

Regardless of my level, the quest (as a HEROIC) should not be getting the 25% boost from my tome (as it is EPIC) because the EPIC tome clearly reads that it has NO effect on quests that are HEROIC...

yet it is being affected...
    Where's the problem then? The tome offers you more than what it is stated to do?

And that "more" I feel isn't really worth anything to be ranting about hehe.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 06-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

Actually, this is the text for the Greater Tome of Epic Learning:

Permanently increases experience earned by a character in level 20 or above dungeons. Provides +25% bonus to experience for first-time quest completions and +10% boost to other earned experience points.
    So, it does not state that it does not work in heroic dungeons. It only states those dungeons must be level 20 or above. So, if you are running Amrath quests, which are 21 on elite, then it would give you a bonus.

RIF!

Community Member

I have a heroic tome and no epic tome on a level 20 toon. If I go into a heroic quest I get no learning bonus at all.

I would say it's working as intended and is meant to work while running quests @ epic levels. If not, consider it a nice bonus because otherwise you would get no bonus at all.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    not sure if you are just being dense or not - but thats not what it says on the tome.

it says heroic level quests, not one word about levels.

SOME CAPS SINCE YOU WANT EMPHASIS!

when you click on say von 1 you have heroic level and epic level. if you are in epic, you should be getting the bonus from epic tome, if you are in heroic, you should get your bonus from the heroic. (even if you get no xp because you are more the 6 levels above the quest)

So can the sarcasm and try to be helpful k?

hob
    Well, have a look at this image: http://ddowiki.com/images/Lesser_Tome_of_Learning.png

It clearly states it will not affect characters level 20 or higher. Really, this is not difficult to understand.

If the epic tomes of learning are affecting experience earned in quests under level 20, then that is a bug and will eventually be fixed. The OP's complaint was that his heroic tome of learning was over-written by the epic tome. However, this is not the case. He has stated he is level 20, which was clear he had to be *at least* level 20 in order to even read his epic tome of learning. Therefore, the heroic tome of learning had already stopped affecting him. He is getting the bonus he is supposed to be receiving at this point, with the clear exception being that he should not receive a bonus for a quest which level is under 20.

Community Member

Actually, this is the text for the Greater Tome of Epic Learning:

So, it does not state that it does not work in heroic dungeons. It only states those dungeons must be level 20 or above. So, if you are running Amrath quests, which are 21 on elite, then it would give you a bonus.

RIF!
    I just checked my character sheet. If definitely says "This effect will have no effect in heroic tier dungeons"
    So I decided to check the store too. And sure enough: "(Not standard Heroic quests) is in the item description on the store.
    So I logged in an alt and checked the book too. Shockingly "This effect will have no effect in heroic tier dungeons"

Community Member

I just checked my character sheet. If definitely says "This effect will have no effect in heroic tier dungeons"
    So I decided to check the store too. And sure enough: "(Not standard Heroic quests) is in the item description on the store.
    So I logged in an alt and checked the book too. Shockingly "This effect will have no effect in heroic tier dungeons"
    How is it, with all the myriad other bugs in the game, that you fail to recognize this as yet another bug in the long line of bugs still existing in DDO? Since this is helpful to players, I expect they will prioritize this over all other bugs - just as they do all other bugs which are beneficial to players and continue to ignore as many of the bugs which are detrimental to players as they are able.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast