Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default Playing as a multiclass Druid/Rogue TR

    At the moment, I'm 5th level, as a 3/2 Druid/Rogue with maxed Disable, Spot, Search, and UMD.

    Leveling has been difficult but not impossible, and I hate how fragile this build is early on. My greensteel equipment feels so far away--

    But enough of that. I've got a concept, and I'm willing to see it through. I have +10 goggles of search and +10 of disable, and +10 ring of spot so I don't forget to swap it back. I've got a +1 acid sickle of lacerating, so damage isn't too bad. What I'm trying to figure out is the 'sweet spot' to level quickly and efficiently. I really want to get to 11-12.

    What advice can you give me, oh druid gods?
    Last edited by Certon; 06-04-2013 at 03:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    UPDATE 06/04:

    Level 5/2 Druid/Rogue

    Item News:

    Getting a little more resilient. Got my AC up to 30 with a Cannith Crafted Greater Stability shield with Masterful Craftmanship I on it--the equivalent of a +4 shield with +4 to resists on it as well!

    I need to find a good melee weapon for levels 7-11. I'm still using the +1 Acid Sickle of Lacerating.

    Put together a Mobile Trinket of Melee Alacrity 10%. Very nifty 2% Dodge. Because wolf forms' base attack speed is 30% higher, does that mean the alacrity part actually works in tandem with it?

    I tried to put together a Feather Falling Cloak of Dusk, but my crafter does not have the skill necessary to put together the dusk shard, so no 10% miss chance unless I want to grind through from 88 to 95. I guess I will stick with my feather falling boots for now.

    ---

    Other News:

    I have done every quest so far on Elite. I'd like to see if I can keep that up all the way to 20.

    Did the Splinterskull chain on Elite with hireling cleric. As I did the final 2 quests, I was having a slightly difficult time with traps. Had to use Human Versatility: Skill Boost to Spot and Search traps, but Disabling was easy enough. Jumping around a lot and keeping all mobs packed tightly together in front of you is the best way to keep most of them from being able to even swing at you. Sure, you miss a little more than you would, but you get missed a lot more.

    I have not been casting anything more than buffs. Weapon DPS at this level far exceeds my spell damage. What spells should I use, both now and in the long run?

    I haven't been able to find a decent group on Thelanis. This makes me sad.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Hey Certon,

    I am on a 4th life with a currently 6 Druid / 1 Rogue now. I am also mostly soloing.

    Some differences:
    -Im Only taking 1 level Rogue becoz low reflex wouldn't make evasion useful for my build.
    -No points in Spot. Useful but can also memorize after first run if the first run fails. My Int is 14 and i put points in Concentration/Disable/Search/Balance/UMD (Balance and UMD will not be maxed but will come close at 20)
    -Luckily found a nice +1 Frost Scimitar of Lacerating myself. Still using it now. (Better crit than sickle)
    -My starting stats are: Str 14, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 8

    Yes, i've been meleeing 90% of the time, with entangle. Some Creeping Cold for hard to reach enemies. I am finding the lack of an AOE spell. I will get Ice Storm at 7/1, so looking forward to that. Sucks that Firewall will have to wait 3 more levels!

    I haven't tried Alacrity but I don't think it stacks with haste (Not sure).
    I expect that things will pick up once I get Ice Storm. For you that's at 7/2 (Level 9). Two more levels.

    I will probably craft a Holy Scimitar of Bleeding or Ice Scimitar of Bleeding with at least a +3 or 4. If level 12 comes sooner than that, then I'm planning to make a LitII Scimitar. (Thought about whether to get a Qstaff, Rapier or Scimitar) and looks like Scimitar is going to be it.

    I've never worked on a Dex AC build and the gear required intimidates me so I've always made dump Dex chars. Are you going the AC path? How's that going? What are your starting stat points?

    Good luck! I play on Sarlona
    Last edited by supott; 06-04-2013 at 04:18 PM.

  4. #4
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    Hey Certon,

    I am on a 4th life with a currently 6 Druid / 1 Rogue now. I am also mostly soloing.

    Some differences:
    -Im Only taking 1 level Rogue becoz low reflex wouldn't make evasion useful for my build.
    -No points in Spot. Useful but can also memorize after first run if the first run fails. My Int is 14 and i put points in Concentration/Disable/Search/Balance/UMD (Balance and UMD will not be maxed but will come close at 20)
    -Luckily found a nice +1 Frost Scimitar of Lacerating myself. Still using it now. (Better crit than sickle)
    -My starting stats are: Str 14, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 8

    Yes, i've been meleeing 90% of the time, with entangle. Some Creeping Cold for hard to reach enemies. I am finding the lack of an AOE spell. I will get Ice Storm at 7/1, so looking forward to that. Sucks that Firewall will have to wait 3 more levels!

    I haven't tried Alacrity but I don't think it stacks with haste (Not sure).
    I expect that things will pick up once I get Ice Storm. For you that's at 7/2 (Level 9). Two more levels.

    I will probably craft a Holy Scimitar of Bleeding or Ice Scimitar of Bleeding with at least a +3 or 4. If level 12 comes sooner than that, then I'm planning to make a LitII Scimitar. (Thought about whether to get a Qstaff, Rapier or Scimitar) and looks like Scimitar is going to be it.

    I've never worked on a Dex AC build and the gear required intimidates me so I've always made dump Dex chars. Are you going the AC path? How's that going? What are your starting stat points?

    Good luck! I play on Sarlona
    Keep in mind, my starting stats are because I was interested in skill points:

    STR: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    DEX: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    CON: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    INT: 16 (18 with +2 tome at level 7)
    WIS: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    CHA: 8 (10 with +2 tome at level 7)

    I picked Human, both for the feat and the extra skill points. I started as a Rogue and got my second level in Rogue as well. I have Disable, Spot, UMD, and Search maxed out, and Concentration should be maxed out soon, especially if I can get a +3 INT tome at 11. Sure, I *COULD* have skipped Spot, but sometimes I have a fuzzy memory on exactly where the traps are located.

    AC? Well, yes, I want my AC as high as I can get it!

    Thelanis has had a dearth of groups at level 7. I really wish I didn't have to solo...
    Last edited by Certon; 06-05-2013 at 11:21 AM.

  5. #5
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    Thelanis has had a dearth of groups at level 7. I really wish I didn't have to solo...
    No, no. From 1-20 there's a lack of groups (most of the time)

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    My druid is currently lvl 8, but I have been banking xp so I get my 4 AP right when I level. I have solo'd the whole time, and it hasn't taken me long. only about a week to 8 only playing a few hours a night. I found a guide (some what old) that has helped immensely. Quest grind guide
    Last edited by Wray; 06-05-2013 at 10:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    Keep in mind, my starting stats are because I was interested in skill points:

    STR: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    DEX: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    CON: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    INT: 16 (18 with +2 tome at level 7)
    WIS: 14 (16 with +2 tome at level 7)
    CHA: 8 (10 with +2 tome at level 7)

    I picked Human, both for the feat and the extra skill points. I started as a Rogue and got my second level in Rogue as well. I have Disable, Spot, UMD, and Search maxed out, and Concentration should be maxed out soon, especially if I can get a +3 INT tome at 11. Sure, I *COULD* have skipped Spot, but sometimes I have a fuzzy memory on exactly where the traps are located.

    AC? Well, yes, I want my AC as high as I can get it!

    Thelanis has had a dearth of groups at level 7. I really wish I didn't have to solo...
    i was unsure whether to start as Rogue or Druid, but decided to start Druid so that my Human extra feat could be a Druid one. When i tried starting as a rogue, i did have nice extra skill points but couldn't decide on what feat to take. Improved Trip was suggested, but i felt like i didn't need any of the other non-caster feats.

    If i ever were to roll him up again, I might get improved Crit: Bludgeon though (If that is available at lvl 1).

    I am banking as well. Finally Lvl'd up to 8 and got my Icestorm & FlameStrike.

  8. #8
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wray View Post
    My druid is currently lvl 8, but I have been banking xp so I get my 4 AP right when I level. I have solo'd the whole time, and it hasn't taken me long. only about a week to 8 only playing a few hours a night. I found a guide (some what old) that has helped immensely. Quest grind guide
    I'd wager that's a bit of an old guide.. 3n/1h/1e was the best xp/min (for most quests) a while back.
    Since BB was introduced, if you can do elite first, doing so tends to be more xp. Then hard farm, followed by normal for first time normal bonus. (Or, Elite for BB, then normal farm, then hard (if the quest is annoying))
    If I may, I'd like to recommend https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Leveling-Guide
    As he notes, it assumes you have a tome of xp and a 20% xp pot 24/7. I only have the first, thus I run a few more quests, and farm a few quests more times. I also vary it a bit, some quests I hate, so I'll do e for BB.. if that. I'm not trying to tell you what to do (people hate that), just offering a suggestion, which I've found to be very useful while leveling my toons. At the least, no tome/no pot, it's a suggestion for the sort of quests/difficulties to run. But hey, just my 2c.
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 06-06-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Messed up order

  9. #9
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Since BB was introduced, if you can do elite first, doing so tends to be more xp. Then hard, then farm normal (if worth it).
    Sorry to chip in, but this is poor advice for any quest you're planning on farming.

    Quests give out xp for their first 12 completions before being hit with too many repetitions, with the first 3 being free before your repetition penalties kick in. Any repetition penalty is ignored if it's a "first time" difficulty bonus completion.
    This means in the interest of best XP yield you'd run elite * 12 > hard > normal

    Most people find elite too tough to farm though and prefer faster completions, so they'll run Elite > normal farm > hard. This means when I run hard, i get full xp for the difficulty, instead of using up all 3 of my first time bonuses during the no penalty period

    Using Shadowcrypt for example. A lot of people farm this on elite then change difficulties.

    12 elite + 1 hard + 1 normal = 14 runs you get xp.
    1 elite, 11 hards + 1 normal = 13 xp yielding runs runs, as you used up one of you "first completion bonuses" during the first 12 runs when the quests granted xp.
    1 elite, 1 hard + 10 normals = 12 xp yeilding runs before you get the "too many completions warning.

    for quests you farm less often say only 4-6 completions

    1 elite + 1 hard + 1 normal = 3 completions with no repetition penalties at all.
    1 elite + 1 hard + 4 normals = the 2nd / 3rd / 4th normals will have a 10/20/30% penalty respectively.
    1 elite + 4 normal + 1 hard = the 3rd and 4th normal will have a 10 / 20% penalty respectively, first hard will still be full xp.

    Hope that helps.

  10. #10
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Update 06/06:

    Level 7 Druid/2 Rogue

    New Crafted Gear:

    Heavy Darkwood Shield of Superior Stability with Masterful Craftmanship I

    This baby is excellent for the True Neutral Druid. +6 AC +6 to saves! Sure, I could get better AC by making the shield +5 and making a +5 protection item, but that's too many item slots. Maybe after my barkskin spell gives +3 Natural Bonus to AC and I get rid of my Necklace of Natural Armor +3--

    +5 Skirmish Leather of Invulnerability with Masterful Craftmanship

    Yup. Invulnerability still helps against a handful of mobs. It won't for much longer. I'm sure at level 11, that baby's going away.

    +1 Holy Heavy Mace of Pure Good

    WOOHOO! My UMD is 23 and I can bypass alignment restrictions! Need I say more?

    Belt of Heavy Fortification

    Finally.

    ---

    Did Gwylan's Stand (Elite.) Died a couple times near shrines in the big boss fights. In my opinion, acceptable. Great experience!

    ---

    I'm getting more durable as well! 183 HP! And I can heal a little now. Ice Storm is a game changer.

    This Druid's starting to get fun!

  11. #11
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    -snip-
    While you're 100% correct, and thanks for pointing it out, I screwed up. I meant elite, hard farm, then normal run. In my defence, stressed about exams, 2 hours sleep. Elite for BB (yum), hard farm (faster than elite farm, and less 10% penalties, esp in a PUG), normal for first time. I'll edit my post to reflect that. Again, sorry, and Omen is correct. (as far as farming, I prefer hard farm, but for a normal farm, def do normal second, hard at the very end)
    (Also, farming SC solo is hard! :P)

  12. #12
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Level 10 Druid/2 Rogue

    The weekend was generous. Lots of leveling, AND I won a potion of XP off the daily die roll--

    Finally equipped my green steel: Triple Neg cleansed Goggles (Immunities), Triple Earth Necklace (35 HP/150 SP), and a Triple Fire Khopesh.

    Crafting:

    I crafted a Ring with a Yellow Augment slot in it with Strength +5 (and Masterful Craftsmanship I) then slotted a +4 CON diamond into it. Not a bad ring at level, and it consolidates slots.

    I crafted a +13 Spot Ring with Feather Falling on it (and Masterful Craftsmanship I.) It might be awhile before I find a +15 Spot ring. Sigh.

    Experience so far:

    This is a very durable toon. Evasion, high saves, fair-to-good DPS, and trap skills that surpass at level content, while being merely acceptable at over level content. My next project will be to craft level 12 Bracers of Wind. Shouldn't take too long. The challenges needed are time consuming, but easy enough--

  13. #13
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Level 11 Druid/Level 2 Rogue

    This is one of the most fun characters I've ever played. Seriously. At level 13, an AC of 40 is not too shabby, especially when topped off with blur from my Bracers of Wind. I'd like to get my dodge up more though.

    Crafting:

    I constructed a Petrifying Hooked Blade from some of my past life junk. It's a pretty cool weapon, and while it comes nowhere near the DPS of my triple flame Khopesh, it's fun to Limb Chop stuff AND petrify it. I can imagine, hundreds of years from now, archaeologists find a bunch of orcs that look like the Venus Di Milo and think they are sculptures.

    I need to craft a couple more things, but not sure what yet. I'm going to go over the Cannith Crafting planner in awhile and see what I can cook up.

    Experiences and Pontifications:

    Tackled Diplomatic Impunity on Elite. Was not nearly as hard as I thought it'd be. Keep in mind though, I'm not technically soloing anymore. I've got favored soul hirelings. I need 10-20 more AC to be able to do this without a hire, and I can't figure out the mathematics to make that happen.

    Frame Work is next. I wonder... will I get overwhelmed by the the encounters? Gotta work out positioning and make sure I don't get surrounded by charging minotaurs. The final fight should be interesting. Little known fact: You can pull the minotaur leader out of the area without aggroing either the orc or the ogre mage. The secret? A single well placed missile attack at maximum possible range. Don't hit it more than once or you risk aggroing the others.

    Level 14 (and the next step of my prestige class) HERE I COME!

  14. #14
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Update:

    14/2 Druid/Rogue -- Level 16 -- One bubble from 17

    My main weapon nowadays switches between the level 15 Thunderstorm Crescent, Swailing Blade, and Triple Fire Greensteel Khopesh.

    Equipment at 16:

    Head: Underwater Action helm of Persuasion
    Trinket: Sustaining Symbiont
    Goggles: Cleansed Triple Negative Greensteel (for immunities)
    Back: +6 CHA cloak.
    Neck: Triple Earth Greensteel (150 SP; 35 HP)
    Wrist: Bracers of Wind (level 4 still; really just for blur)
    Chest: Parasitic Breastplate (with +10 Reflex mod)
    Belt: +6 CON
    Hands: Charged Gauntlets
    Ring: Spot +15
    Ring: +6 WIS
    Boots: +5 DEX (Yellow Slot: Featherfall)
    Shield: Vengeful Heavy Densewood Shield of Superior Stability (Blue Slot: Heavy Fortification)

    ---

    I feel I need better equipment. Suggestions?

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    Update:

    14/2 Druid/Rogue -- Level 16 -- One bubble from 17

    My main weapon nowadays switches between the level 15 Thunderstorm Crescent, Swailing Blade, and Triple Fire Greensteel Khopesh.

    Equipment at 16:

    Head: Underwater Action helm of Persuasion
    Trinket: Sustaining Symbiont
    Goggles: Cleansed Triple Negative Greensteel (for immunities)
    Back: +6 CHA cloak.
    Neck: Triple Earth Greensteel (150 SP; 35 HP)
    Wrist: Bracers of Wind (level 4 still; really just for blur)
    Chest: Parasitic Breastplate (with +10 Reflex mod)
    Belt: +6 CON
    Hands: Charged Gauntlets
    Ring: Spot +15
    Ring: +6 WIS
    Boots: +5 DEX (Yellow Slot: Featherfall)
    Shield: Vengeful Heavy Densewood Shield of Superior Stability (Blue Slot: Heavy Fortification)

    ---

    I feel I need better equipment. Suggestions?
    I am using
    -Giantcrafted Robe from Gianthold is nice. Im using it now. ML 10 though. Gives Haste guard and Vengeful Fury.
    -I'm also still using Charged Gauntlets
    -I always have on a Devotion +54 Ring that i switch only when searching/disabling traps. (I would get it higher if my crafting lvls were high enough)
    -Crafted +15 Devotion / Elemental Clickies min level 13.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    322

    Default

    im wondering, what would u suggest to get if u could only get 1 melee feat?

    -Natural fighting? 6% doublestrike
    -Shield mastery? 3% doublestrike
    -Imp. Crit Bludgeon? 10% crit
    -Power attack? +4 damage

    Do u notice any one in particular working best for you?
    I may be able to afford one but don't know which
    Currently leaning on Natural fighting, but don't know if i will keep using wolf once i get elemental forms. For best flexibility, Shield mastery might be best. Power attack also might work.

  17. #17
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    im wondering, what would u suggest to get if u could only get 1 melee feat?

    -Natural fighting? 6% doublestrike
    -Shield mastery? 3% doublestrike
    -Imp. Crit Bludgeon? 10% crit
    -Power attack? +4 damage

    Do u notice any one in particular working best for you?
    I may be able to afford one but don't know which
    Currently leaning on Natural fighting, but don't know if i will keep using wolf once i get elemental forms. For best flexibility, Shield mastery might be best. Power attack also might work.
    I took Power Attack and regretted it. Swapped it out for Precision. I took Imp. Crit: Bludgeon as soon as I could, followed by Shield Mastery. I haven't taken Natural Fighting. Of all those feats, if I could have one, it'd be Improved Crit: Bludgeon.

  18. #18
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    I am using
    -Giantcrafted Robe from Gianthold is nice. Im using it now. ML 10 though. Gives Haste guard and Vengeful Fury.
    -I'm also still using Charged Gauntlets
    -I always have on a Devotion +54 Ring that i switch only when searching/disabling traps. (I would get it higher if my crafting lvls were high enough)
    -Crafted +15 Devotion / Elemental Clickies min level 13.
    One level to Fabricator's Gauntlets, which I get to enjoy for two whole levels before I TR back into a level 1 druid! WOOT!

    Ah, the clickies. I need to look into those...

  19. #19
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Level 18 16/2 Druid Rogue

    the Charged Gauntlets are now in the bank. I have my Fabricator's Gauntlets on instead.
    My Cannith crafted boots are also in the bank. Boots of Propulsion replaced them.

    The above change to the boots and gauntlets means I had satisfied my strength and feather fall requirements but lost my DEX and WIS. I was lucky enough to find a DEX +6 ring with Yellow Augment slot in the AH for cheap, and I popped a WIS +5 Diamond into it, and seeing as my WIS was at an odd number before anyway, I am much better of now than I was before.

    But, I have a HUGE question for you all--

    ---

    MY DILEMMA:

    I'm quickly approaching 20, and my initial plan was to TR immediately. As I get closer, I wonder if I should grind out some Epic Destinies before I do so. The upcoming changes to TR have me confused as to what would be in my best interests. Please note this will also be my first, second-TR toon, so the XP penalties will get measurably worse.

    Any advice from those of you who are more experienced in these matters would be most appreciated.

  20. #20
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    762

    Default

    No advice, eh? Well, never let a lack of input stop you from trying...

    Tried to solo the Reign of Madness arc on elite. I knew I'd fail before I even went into Acute Delirium.

    I died six times--

    --and pretty much couldn't get one bookshelf even down the stairs, much less all the way to the kitchen.

    So, I restarted on Hard, and summoned my Panther so I wouldn't break streak. Cleared it. Cleared the whole chain, actually. Two bubbles in...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload