Thread: Lost my 1

Default Lost my 1

Noticed the other day one of my characters has lost his one. No longer LightInDark-1 now LightInDark-, now when I see him in the char list I think he is just a wanna be.

Anyone know where I can find it or get it back ? or is it now pay to win to get the 1 ?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnly_LightInDark View Post
    Noticed the other day one of my characters has lost his one. No longer LightInDark-1 now LightInDark-, now when I see him in the char list I think he is just a wanna be.

Anyone know where I can find it or get it back ? or is it now pay to win to get the 1 ?
    I don't believe that numbers are allowed in character names. I don't know how you got it in the first place but I was not able to use numbers in a character name. However you got it, looks like they corrected it

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I don't believe that numbers are allowed in character names. I don't know how you got it in the first place but I was not able to use numbers in a character name. However you got it, looks like they corrected it
    That happens when you import a character while another character with that name already exists on the server. The same can happen when servers merge, however another possibility is that the name of the old server is aggregated to your name.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Quote Originally Posted by Superhanns View Post
    u get it back when ur balls drop. and u grow up. have fun!
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    what?
    Somthing difficult to understand? OP was being sarcastic and so was i
    Completionist clonk on argonnessen.

Community Member

Somthing difficult to understand? OP was being sarcastic and so was i
    Actually, I very much doubt he was being sarcastic as I have a friend who has a 1 appended to his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Actually, I very much doubt he was being sarcastic as I have a friend who has a 1 appended to his name.
    so your telling me someone would start a thread about a number in their name? (and be serious about it) and please dont reply with "he just did"

Community Member

so your telling me someone would start a thread about a number in their name? (and be serious about it) and please dont reply with "he just did"
    Why are you surprised someone would do this? Names are important for people and I am not at all surprised someone would find the number 1 to be an important part of their name - in spite (or perhaps because) of the fact they cannot put a numeral in their name at creation. Wars have been fought over names in the past. So, you should not be surprised someone is upset over the loss of their numeral 1.

Why are you surprised someone would do this? Names are important for people and I am not at all surprised someone would find the number 1 to be an important part of their name - in spite (or perhaps because) of the fact they cannot put a numeral in their name at creation. Wars have been fought over names in the past. So, you should not be surprised someone is upset over the loss of their numeral 1.
    I'm not surprised.. I'm astonished

u get it back when ur balls drop. and u grow up. have fun!
    lol... LOOOOOLLLLll....

Community Member

I'm not surprised.. I'm astonished
    Wow, what a way you have with words ...

sur·prise (sr-prz)
    3. To cause to feel wonder, astonishment, or amazement, as at something unanticipated.

a·ston·ish (-stnsh)
    To fill with sudden wonder or amazement. See Synonyms at surprise.

Though, I have to admit I am uncertain as to why I am astonished by your lack of vocabulary given your first post in this thread.

Wow, what a way you have with words ...

sur·prise (sr-prz)
    3. To cause to feel wonder, astonishment, or amazement, as at something unanticipated.

a·ston·ish (-stnsh)
    To fill with sudden wonder or amazement. See Synonyms at surprise.

Though, I have to admit I am uncertain as to why I am astonished by your lack of vocabulary given your first post in this thread.

these words are used in different situations in real life, when i say im astonished i mean wow.. im astonished that you are so obsessed with correcting me and the op, used in that sense.

as for the word suprised i usually use it for more positive situations

Community Member

these words are used in different situations in real life, when i say im astonished i mean wow.. im astonished that you are so obsessed with correcting me and the op, used in that sense.

as for the word suprised i usually use it for more positive situations
    Regardless, the point being the words may be used interchangeably and may mean the same thing. You accuse me of pedantry for attempting to educate you on that fact. /rollseyes

EDIT: Furthermore, I never attempted to correct anything the original poster said. I simply pointed out that no one should be surprised (or any other synonym) that someone wants a character which was previously part of their name to be returned to being part of their name, especially given how important names are to people - whether that name is part of a virtual system or not.
    Last edited by Coyopa; 06-03-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Incorrect. You engaged in pedantry when correcting my usage of the word 'surprise', which by the context in which I used it would suffice to cover your finely distinguished usage of the two words. I simply retrieved the dictionary definitions for you to demonstrate the difference between the words are not as great as you think, which is highlighted by the fact the definition of 'astonish' has only one entry and immediately points the visitor back to 'surprise'.
    Your waffling again

When life takes away your 1, strap on a pair.
    That way you end up +1.
    ͡ᵢᵥ
    ֖ ֥ You have angered many opponents, and your enemies have been alerted to the presence of your trolling.
     ͜‴

Your waffling again

I am AMAZED that two nerds are on here debating the merits of "surprised" and "astonished" on this clearly unrelated forum.

See what I did there????

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I am AMAZED that two nerds are on here debating the merits of "surprised" and "astonished" on this clearly unrelated forum.

See what I did there????
    Yep, well done.
    Really resisting the urge
    Last edited by IWMettleblade; 06-04-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: really resisting the urge

Community Member

OP, my guess is you LR/GR/TRs. It's a known bug going back to the start of the hearts that if you have a name longer than the current standard for names then your name is truncated.

BTW, have someone try sending you an in game mail. Most of the time this truncation bug means you have your new shorter name for every purpose but in game mail, which still thinks you have your old name. The only fix for that is to ask CS (or some of the more helpful in game GMs) for a free rename token to fix the problem. I've done it several times myself (and BTW the rename token doesn't have the same limits as the current names, the original 2006 limits apply)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnly_LightInDark View Post

Having an odd desire to veer back towards the topic... (Ya, weird. Go figure.)

There was a mention ages ago that the appended -# was intended to be a temporary measure and folks were supposed to rename their characters "as soon as possible" to fit naming standards.

I also seem to recall a later comment from one of our CSRs that the appendages were going to be involuntarily excised {upcoming date/update/something}.

Yeah, pretty unhelpfully vague - but some days the memory just won't fire on more than half-cylinders.

Back back to our irregularly unscheduled 'surprise/astonish' intrigue.

edit:

I *so* would've, if it wasn't such a yesterday kinda thing.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual