Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farewell

Community Member

This is very sad news.

Good luck in your journeys, maybe someday there will be something more for you here.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

I'm sorry to see you go, Vanshilar. I've always enjoyed your well-reasoned and informative posts.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

I like your Operations Research approach to this game. I've been thinking about little problems like optimizing shroud portal bashing and the layout of the ship as well. Well, I've ignored the tiles puzzle since I absolutely hate having to depend on the guidance of others.

I should mention that Vanshilar has been a singularly helpful resource for Over Raided, but also for players at large.

In particular, Vanshilar deserves special credit for OR reaching 100 within one year of the release of guild levels. While we all participated in the renown gathering, the devs changed the rules several times and the system was not always "fair" or "balanced" (whatever that may mean to you). The big picture was that, particularly after reaching 25million (out of 50million), decay became such a large factor that the uphill battle seemed demoralizing. Vanshilar's deconstruction and projections showed us there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it kept us informed and motivated to hit that ambitious target.

If not for Vanshilar, the first DDO guild to hit 100 would that been that unmentionable guild that was using bugged/infinite end rewards... That would have been stupid and frankly, embarrassing for the game. Even the devs should have thanked Vanshilar!

While we are all explorers and tinkerers, Vanshilar has been on a different order of magnitude. Thanks for your generosity and all your analysis; there is truly no other DDO player like you.

BTW: Guess who's the only slacker not in uniform in this pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Keybreaker View Post
    On Thursday, June 23, 2011, at 7:01pm EST, Over Raided of Orien has become the first guild in all of DDO to achieve guild level 100!

This achievement has required the concerted efforts of a dedicated group of guildies for a considerably long time. I'm amazed at how OR has really thrived over this time. We managed to hit 100 within the one year anniversary of the airships and guild renown which were introduced with Update 5 on June 28, 2010.

I wish I could name you all and not leave anyone out, but I want to thank everyone who has been part of the OR endeavor, past and present.

In particular, I want to thank:
    Vanshilar: Our numbers man, who has been the brains behind not only the horse race, but demystified many of the mysteries of DDO mechanics for our guild and all the others.
    Last edited by Keybreaker; 06-04-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    Keybreaker, Leader of Over Raided (Orien)

Enjoy, idk why people feel like they need to inform us.
    "Eye of the Dragon" on Argonessen. "Quest with the best"

So long and thanks for all the stats
    ͡ᵢᵥ
    ֖ ֥ You have angered many opponents, and your enemies have been alerted to the presence of your trolling.
     ͜‴

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    This game needs players like you.
    Best of luck in life - glad you enjoyed the game.

I disagree that the game needs players like the OP though. I am certain he was helpful to his guild and to the fractional number of people who read the forums and to the even smaller fractional number of people who enjoy tearing the game stats apart in this manner.

But to the unwashed masses there is no impact. Until this post I didn't know he existed. Look like he had got a lot out of his participation though, so I would say the game was successful in that regard.

Vallin.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    I disagree that the game needs players like the OP though.
    Agreed. There's many more RL problems that need his analytical skills.

Thanks for sharing

tc
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Community Member

Well you got me. Usually after I see a subject line like that I expect a page of Turbine hate to which I say good riddance and "Can I haz your stuffz"

However a nicely written farewell. I didn't know you but wish you well. I don't want your stuffz. You keep it so that hopefully when you come back you'll be geared up and ready to jump back in after your sabbatical.

Cheers and good luck. I've Subscribed to this to self sticky some of the useful information you shared. Thanks

I have never played in the same group as you - as i know of anyway but i had the pleasure of asking a few questions over PM here on forums to you Van and got helpful answers about guild decay.

I hope you enjoy your next game and thank you for being one of the polite, intelligent people that takes the enjoyment of this game one step higher by being helpful and a good example of why i still stick around this game. Its not all about the game - its about the people you meet in the game.

Since i live in Europe and in a different time zone of playing i doubt i cross path with you again - so i simply send my best wishes and have fun in your next game.
    Officer of Crusaders of Justice / Orien / Swedish player
    Lyrandar/ Devourer in Europe since launch 2006 / Orien since 2009
    Charachters: Ctype/ Archibald / Ygolonar / Etype / Dtype
    Completionist with Ctype

Time Bandit

Thanks for the comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    p.s. i seem to remember you arguing with shade on actually run speed. is it 30 now or still around 24%?
    Turbine changed it fairly recently so that striding 30% really is 30%. Exp retreat is still 25% however and haste is still 32%. So basically, your striding 30% boots or whatever have you are just slightly slower than haste now; for the most part, unnoticeably slower.

Quote Originally Posted by jpnole View Post
    You never said what game you were leaving for. The only reason a player leaves a game is for another one. Since you didn't specify which game you were moving on to..... have fun in Neverwinter Online!
    Actually, I'm not moving to another game, and have no interest in Neverwinter Online. The closest would be Master of Orion, a single-player turn-based 4X space strategy game that was released almost 2 decades ago that I've been playing recently. Obviously I don't consider when a game was released very much when moving from game to game; I look more for interesting gameplay and analysis potential, and MoO is often considered to have very good strategic depth, which sounds interesting to model, not to mention figuring out its game mechanics.

I'm also going back to playing piano; the piece I'm learning right now is Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2 (the interesting part starts at around 4:20), although I'll be happy if I can play it half as fast as the guy in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Something about a dissertation.

Which sounds like Grad School.
    Yes the overshadowing thing is that I'm approaching the last year of my Ph.D., and my advisor's tenure (not to mention my own professional career) is riding on my graduating next May. So there's that to focus my mind on what's really important. Nevertheless, what games or hobbies I pursue when I'm not working on that is a separate consideration, although typically I'll bring in some of what I've been learning to whatever game I play, and see where it applies. It's helpful that my field is more of a "meta" level than something very specific (for example, if I were in Chemical Engineering, it'd be really hard to apply anything I learned to a game), so my studies can be applied to a broad variety of problems -- including games.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    I like your Operations Research approach to this game. I've been thinking about little problems like optimizing shroud portal bashing and the layout of the ship as well. Well, I've ignored the tiles puzzle since I absolutely hate having to depend on the guidance of others.
    Yeah it turns out the shroud portal order is simply a variation of the traveling salesman problem. It was simple enough though that I simply solved it "by hand", rather than relying on an algorithm. I timed (via video) how long it took to run from each portal to each other portal as the edges of the graph, then made an Excel spreadsheet which included the dependencies between the nodes (i.e. a portal opened up only when another was destroyed, etc.). Then it was just a matter of figuring out what's the shortest paths for each of the groups.

The key I think was realizing that for the fastest run, the groups should not all have the same amount of DPS. This was important because the groups were relying on each other to kill their portals at the correct times, i.e. sometimes the west group was killing a portal that would open up the next portal for the east group, etc. There were a couple of other considerations but I think that was one of the big ones. The order ended up like this:

Or in animated format:

For splitting up the portals into 2 groups that's easier to handle and more forgiving (as opposed to 3-group guild runs where the DPS has to be tightly controlled), to open it up to PUGs, it looked like:

The time savings by splitting up were not insignificant; just splitting up into 2 groups was around 60-70 seconds faster than a single group moving all over the map, and splitting up into 3 groups was an additional 20 or so seconds faster. This is because a single group moving from portal to portal actually spends around 120 seconds running around; splitting up into groups cuts down on the time spent running, and since the total DPS on the portals stays the same, that part of the time stays more or less consistent, so the time savings are from each group not having to run as much.

We considered introducing the PUG version on Orien in our PUG runs; it would have made our runs go somewhat more quickly (although it's just a bit over a minute saved per run, that adds up over time when we were running Shrouds practically every night), and it would have allowed us to see which PUGs can follow directions, to be invited back for future runs (even if a PUG doesn't know the order, all they had to know was to stay on their side -- west or east -- and just follow wherever the melees on that side were going). It would have also been easier to pick up for a new player, I think; it's much easier for the mind to remember a string of 9 locations (west locations) or a string of 7 locations (east side) instead of a long string of 15 locations (single group), sort of like how someone can contribute to the Abbot raid by just knowing one of the puzzles (typically roids), rather than having to know all of them (and this is also why telephone numbers are split up into groups rather than one long string of numbers -- easier for the human mind to grasp even though it's the same amount of information). But given that it's Orien with all the faux populism and most of the players against anything different, that plan eventually fell by the wayside when we moved on to other things; so most Shroud runs are still the same, slow single group method.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbIe View Post
    Well you got me. Usually after I see a subject line like that I expect a page of Turbine hate to which I say good riddance and "Can I haz your stuffz"
    Unfortunately I don't have much stuff. My account isn't even worth much if I wanted to sell it (which I don't). I don't even have a single character with all his twists farmed out (although I do have one character that's capped an epic destiny, and one (the same) character with a single TR -- all the rest are still first-lifers). Most of my time spent on the game was on collecting information, which resides on my hard drive, not with the game's grind (leveling, getting gear, etc.), and I'm certainly not going to give my hard drive away. Other than the over 500 GB of videos of DDO, I have another 25 GB or so of data on different aspects of the game -- attack speeds, the renown system, monster stats, etc. -- so whenever I uninstall the game I'll zip them up and store them somewhere, but that'll be that. Over the next few weeks I'll collect my crafting essences and epic scrolls (not that they're worth anything now) and give them out to guildies, but that's about all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12