Cool Hireling Pack for DDO Market

I wanna to request a new pack for a player who wanna buy, some kind of eternal gold seal hirelings, like a panter, pet or some another one, to help in accont. something like 49,99 but with a hireling to all levels

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Satrov View Post
    I wanna to request a new pack for a player who wanna buy, some kind of eternal gold seal hirelings, like a panter, pet or some another one, to help in accont. something like 49,99 but with a hireling to all levels
    I like the idea in theory, but I think that's crossing the line into P2W, or at least power creeping towards P2W. Eternal gold seal hirelings give you an additional hireling you can always call, in addition to normal hirelings. They've only been available so far as preorder bonuses. If they were available in the DDO Store, then they'd be a LOT more widespread, and it'd be one additional hireling on top of the panther, owlbear, and/or regular hireling, and at all levels.

That would really mess up balance issues...someone with 4 hirelings at all times is going to be a lot more powerful, naturally, than someone with just one.

Red face Another step....

I agree with this factor however would be something that should be deployed a rule, if a group of more than one player limit would be 2 hirelings. But for the player alone can use up to 5 as is the gold seal normally. But for those who could not get the pre-order a package to acquire the panther and other special hirelings, so with a unique package of pets at all for anyone who plays alone in normal quests (I mean not the raids), would be something to profitable for market team, do not you think? (I confess I am more interested, kkkk)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Satrov View Post
    I agree with this factor however would be something that should be deployed a rule, if a group of more than one player limit would be 2 hirelings. But for the player alone can use up to 5 as is the gold seal normally. But for those who could not get the pre-order a package to acquire the panther and other special hirelings, so with a unique package of pets at all for anyone who plays alone in normal quests (I mean not the raids), would be something to profitable for market team, do not you think? (I confess I am more interested, kkkk)
    Well normally, the GSH are bought with TP and last an hour. That's an acceptable limitation to allow up to 5 out at once. They're veyr expensive, and temporary.

Every permanent GSH that comes out, though, makes one of those slots permanent and a one-time price. So they're selling you what you used to rent, essentially...I dont imagine anyone would want to rent any GSHs when they could own one instead, so probably net loss of profit long-term. Plus, even if it is profitable, its still P2W.

The current model of having perma-GSH available only through preorders limits GSH accumulation to those who A) have been playing the game actively through multiple expansions, and B) shelled out the cash for the exorbitant pre-order Super-Cool Legendary Edition. It will be many years before someone can accumulate five slots of perma-GSH. I can live with that limited amount of P2W, honestly...if you're that hardcore into the game, good for you

But having them available full-time in the Store brings that P2W mentality to everyone, al the time. Anyone at L20 could run with a L20 hireling, a L20 GSH, a L19 GSH, a L18 GSH, and a L17 GSH (or scale to whatever level you're at) all the time for one price.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    That would really mess up balance issues...someone with 4 hirelings at all times is going to be a lot more powerful, naturally, than someone with just one.
    Until they vastly upgrade the AI, 4+ hirelings is decidedly NOT an advantage in most situations

I do a lot of soloing and situationally drop in a pocket healer or meat shield as the whim hits me, but generally speaking, other than running on my druid with an army of animals because well, I like to... and slayers, a pack of hirelings will never come close to replacing any but the worst PUG imaginable. (At least soul stones stay parked where you left them and don't whimsically decide to teleport across the world around a corner to remove that 1 neg level and draw aggro)

The P2W thing is [almost] always subjective IMHO. I just don't think hirelings qualify. Granting a ML14 BTA ESoS craftable +8 exclusively when you pre-order or anything even approaching that from the DDO store, that's a different story.

I do admit I got properly spanked by that demon in Red Fens as it was the first time I ran it, was solo, at level, went in on elite and wasn't quite prepared for that level of resistance for an optional after the main quest. And I completely nerd raged, re-ran the quest and then before entering that pit, dropped some TP and filled my slots with GS nukers and a GS FvS (Wouldda loved an at level Larafay), parked them at each corner and then watched them mow him down while I pretty much sat back, ate popcorn and zapped anything that portaled in. Gotta love a good proxy war. So, yeah, you do have a bit of a point

I do like the concept of having exclusive items for long time players though / early adopters. Having OOG / Out of Game items is one of those little geek things I appreciate. Things like the Eternal Flask of Heroism.

I think selling a permanent hireling could have some merit, but I do agree having it from start to finish at every level where you can fill your entire party from Korthos to EE is probably not a good move for the community in general, and likely not for Turbines long term DDO Store ROI either.

I wouldn't be opposed to something in the middle. Going on the Icon Hero bandwagon concept, adding 4 or 5 permanent hirelings to the store, each one a unique entity that has only a few level range would be more like saying, I traveled with the legendary 'Bibsy' when he was just a young wizard between levels 11 and 14. It was a dark time as I finished my Herioc career (lvl 18-20) and I found my self on a common path with Lord Soth. (Sorry, I failed my Eberron Bardic Lore check and had to dip into Krynn / Faerun) Hrm.. Full BaB fighter that can cast FoD with a chance to have his entourage pop in and start spamming Wail... Yeah, screw the continuity, I'd buy a Soth Hireling in a !@#$#@$# minute.

I assume there are some famous Atrificiers / Druids or Fistandantilus / Soth-worthy names in Eberron.

Just my 1.5 sense.
    Remember the little people, if for no other reason than to better savor the squishy sound they make as you roll over them.

Cleric, Rogue, UMD - Because Grease Clickies Have Consequences.
    There are no bad builds, only Characters with High End-Game Mule Potential.

Default My oppinion

In my opinion, the pre-order is something very cool, brings wonderful things, but I can not keep up because the payment system ddo market is only Intenacional card. Paypal uses the same resource, and I still need to pay a fee to more absurd. What I think would be interesting to have alternative packages was what we really want, pro example the last expansion that is in pre order, the additional should be selected before finalizing the purchase, why can not they be sold separately? at least for those who bought the expansion? do not think it's fair? say that to date I do not have the money to buy the collectors version, but two weeks later I get the money, but it's too late because the date has expired, then end up buying a smaller version and leave to take I could not buy the collector's version because I could not get money on time, but I managed to buy a smaller package. it would not give me the right to buy the bonus a part?
    Last edited by Satrov; 06-03-2013 at 05:26 PM.