Community Member

Default Owlbear thoughts

I played around with the level 17 owlbear, in part because of all the complaints about how lousy it is supposed to be. I had mixed results, and while I think the beast needs some work, I do think it has value in certain circumstances.

It does pretty decent damage.. around 50 a swing with crits as high as 150. Its trip attack is also pretty good, likely due to its strength. You can get extra damage out of it by hotkeying its cleave and greate cleave feats, but of course this is more work.

When I took it in the Vale, I discovered that it appears to have a bug of some sort -- on occasion it just goes to sleep and stops doing anything until I call it. It wouldn't even respond to being attacked.. and no, it wasn't on passive mode.

It is not terribly useful in a party situation in a real quest. I summoned it into a Coal Chamber run and it did a bit of damage, though not a lot. It died a couple of times by standing in traps, typical boneheaded hire behavior. Overall, it was not too impressive, compared to five human players.

But I also summoned it in a short-manned Elite Beyond the Rift and it racked up quite a few kills there.

Where I found it really useful was in soloing stuff. I summon it and the panther and a healer hireling and I have my own private army. I had great fun with this in the Eveningstar cavern challenges; their presence made a big difference due both to drawing aggro and adding DPS, and the humanoid hireling ensured that they didn't die.

Overall, I think it's useful, when used appropriately. I would like to see its defense beefed up a bit and the bug where it goes to sleep fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    It is not terribly useful in a party situation in a real quest. I summoned it into a Coal Chamber run
    Coal Chamber is not a very good example... A lot of ranged and magic attacks on your poor owlbear (who has no way to attack back from range), plus all the pathing issues with that unorthodox dungeon layout.

I have not used the owlbear in a party situation, but I'd imagine he do fine in a more linear quest with standard melee foes.

Where I found it really useful was in soloing stuff. I summon it and the panther and a healer hireling and I have my own private army.
    This is how I used the owlbear too... Panther, owlbear, healer hireling, and me... It's a pretty potent combo when soloing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

I'm just finally playing with the epic levels and took my level 17 owlbear into the epic Gianthold. He dies, but not frequently. Considering he's 7 levels lower than what we're up against, I haven't been completely unhappy with his performance.

But I also did some farming of Tomb of the Unhallowed, and the level 11-13 traps drop him like a rock. Especially on elite, but even on hard and norm, he steps on any of the traps and if he's not flat out dead, he's pretty close to it. Personally, I think there's something wrong with that.

Outside of that, over all, looks like he's mostly just an aggro magnet - which isn't always a bad thing. But from what I've read, given the chance I'd gladly swap him for the panther. Besides being really big with a bad habit of standing right on top of me and obscuring my line of vision, its not the step forward in permanent hires I was hoping it would be.
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

The Owlbear is nice, with a hire that spams heals all the time he's doing just so so. Without that nanny holding his hands the Owlbear sucks big time, I did not expect this at all.

Also the offensive mechanism is kinda hard to master, you first have to select a target then tell the Owlbear to attack it and then follow the owlbear to it as if the owlbear thinks he's running to far away from you he'll simply return to you. This makes it really hard to let the owlbear take the agro so you can snipe the foe with spells or arrows/bolts.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

I'll add that I have used the owlbear to guard homebase in the house c challenges and it does a great job of taking agro off the warden. warden has never died with owlbear on the job.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Coal Chamber is not a very good example... A lot of ranged and magic attacks on your poor owlbear (who has no way to attack back from range), plus all the pathing issues with that unorthodox dungeon layout.

I have not used the owlbear in a party situation, but I'd imagine he do fine in a more linear quest with standard melee foes.

This is how I used the owlbear too... Panther, owlbear, healer hireling, and me... It's a pretty potent combo when soloing.
    Can new players still get the black panther?

I seen him in a youtube video and thought he looks pretty cool - just not sure how useful he is.

What lvl does he summon at?

The problem I have with these summons is they don't level with you

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Which healer do you use? I've been pretty pleased with the renewal FVS (Brec?). Are there any other good options?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Which healer do you use? I've been pretty pleased with the renewal FVS (Brec?). Are there any other good options?
    I use Klin (sp?) Level 19 cleric... He has heal and mass heal, and he can summon a Hezrog... He works really well with the panther and owlbear, keeping them all healed.

Really nice for the House C challenges... Put him, and the panther, and the owlbear, and the Hezrog on home base, and he even heals the kobolds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.