Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need more glamered armor versions of armor kits

(it's spelled glamour not glamer it is not one of the words that's spelled differently in American English that is going to drive me insane every time I see it.)

When we got the glamer armor, I had a list of armor kits I was ready to buy in permanent, swappable glamer form. And then, much to my surprise... they just weren't there. It looks like a few of the armor kits got glamer armor versions--I noticed the PDK, spider, and beast kits were intact--but most were just close and not quite what I wanted. Maybe the artists hate to repeat themselves, or maybe someone decided all the old stuff is terrible and mustn't survive. Which would be a pity, because I really liked some of the old armors.

Just one example:

This old armor kit is the cloth version of Cannith 2 - Black/Gold. Sleek. Dignified on its own--imagine it on a mage of means with that gold trimming, or add a captain's chapeau from crystal cove and it suddenly becomes roguish and dashing. And the crossed sash draped over the torso armor is, in my opinion, the accessory that really ties the whole look together. This is what I put on my very first set of dragontouched armor, and it still looks fabulous.

The closest thing I can get from the new glamered glamoured armors?

This thing.

"Black Cannith Outfit with Talisman Guard"

(I approve of the more descriptive names rather than just calling the base kit "1" and the kit with accessories "2", by the way.)

As for the outfit itself, though... well...

Really?

Personally, I don't call those talismans, I call 'em boob banners, and they look silly. I'm not going to go on a big long rant about whether the looks of the glamoured armors in general are better or worse than the old armor kits, because that's a very subjective thing. But wouldn't it be easy enough to make glamour armor versions of the old armor kits so people can get the ones they want? Because like I said at the start: I have a list of armor kits I will drop turbine points on as soon as I can get them in glamour form, starting with the one above.

Edit: Also! There are some named items I wouldn't mind getting as glamour armor. Garments of Equilibrium spring immediately to mind.
    Last edited by MoonlitSilver; 06-03-2013 at 03:09 AM.
    Furthermore, I believe that the bugs and lag must be fixed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitSilver View Post
    glamour
    Blame WotC. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...school&alpha=G

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I shall, thank you for telling me where the mutilation comes from. I now know where to direct my ire.
    Furthermore, I believe that the bugs and lag must be fixed.

The Spider one I was looking for was unavailable with the new glamour system last time I checked.

Either they are doing away with certain looks or are postponing updating some of these to the new system to try to sell the old style kits before they are discontinued.

Eh, glamer is a separate word.

From http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/glamer:
    Noun

glamer

(archaic, Scotland) Noise.
    (archaic, Scotland) The visual influence of a charm, causing people to see things differently from what they are. Hence, to cast a glamer is to cause a visual deception.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I kinda like the second picture a lot better, I think its' cleaner and more pleasant to look at than the weird ruffles on the first one. Then again, I don't like most of the vanity armors, I think way too many are ugly and impractical as armor. *shrugs*
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    The Spider one I was looking for was unavailable with the new glamour system last time I checked.

Either they are doing away with certain looks or are postponing updating some of these to the new system to try to sell the old style kits before they are discontinued.
    We have had some technical issues while implementing the new system, and as a result we were not able to release some sets of the legacy armor kits, such as Spider. However, these should be fixed released in a future update.

In addition, new armor kits will be released over time.

I think they meant it in line with old Scottish folklore style glamer. Like Sidhe and woodswise magic type illusions to change appearance or scenery on a whim.

That aside. I'm right there with you on the being ready to buy new sets when they're released. I was beyond bummed at what was initially offered.

Thanks for letting us know whats going on in that regard, QuartermasterX. I eagerly await my chance to throw my hard earned money at you for fluff items (and no I'm not even remotely being sarcastic, I have a fluff sickness.)

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

What I would like to see is a 'Glamer Stone', store-bought, dropped, or daily dice reward. The stone would allow you to permanently change any in-game armor into a glamered version. Some of the current glamered armors are nice, but it would also be very interesting to have the option to use the look of some of the in-game armors. Ideally, this concept could eventually be extended to weapons and shields.
    ....For Within the Circle of His Sword, There Is Each Man a King....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    We have had some technical issues while implementing the new system, and as a result we were not able to release some sets of the legacy armor kits, such as Spider. However, these should be fixed released in a future update.

hay kilts would be a great armor add on
    A Player of a clonk
    funniest thing I have read in a while=>
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    we'd rather spend that development time on things most players like.

Some plain robes and medieval or classical style armor would be very welcome. Fantastical and flashy are fine but some options for those of us who aren't 12 years old would be nice.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitSilver View Post
    (it's spelled glamour not glamer it is not one of the words that's spelled differently in American English that is going to drive me insane every time I see it.)

When we got the glamer armor, I had a list of armor kits I was ready to buy in permanent, swappable glamer form. And then, much to my surprise... they just weren't there. It looks like a few of the armor kits got glamer armor versions--I noticed the PDK, spider, and beast kits were intact--but most were just close and not quite what I wanted. Maybe the artists hate to repeat themselves, or maybe someone decided all the old stuff is terrible and mustn't survive. Which would be a pity, because I really liked some of the old armors.

This old armor kit is the cloth version of Cannith 2 - Black/Gold. Sleek. Dignified on its own--imagine it on a mage of means with that gold trimming, or add a captain's chapeau from crystal cove and it suddenly becomes roguish and dashing. And the crossed sash draped over the torso armor is, in my opinion, the accessory that really ties the whole look together. This is what I put on my very first set of dragontouched armor, and it still looks fabulous.

This thing.

"Black Cannith Outfit with Talisman Guard"

(I approve of the more descriptive names rather than just calling the base kit "1" and the kit with accessories "2", by the way.)

As for the outfit itself, though... well...

Really?

Personally, I don't call those talismans, I call 'em boob banners, and they look silly. I'm not going to go on a big long rant about whether the looks of the glamoured armors in general are better or worse than the old armor kits, because that's a very subjective thing. But wouldn't it be easy enough to make glamour armor versions of the old armor kits so people can get the ones they want? Because like I said at the start: I have a list of armor kits I will drop turbine points on as soon as I can get them in glamour form, starting with the one above.

Edit: Also! There are some named items I wouldn't mind getting as glamour armor. Garments of Equilibrium spring immediately to mind.
    The word "glamour" comes from "glamer" and used to mean the same thing back before there was Hollywood and fashion magazines

And I agree with the OP - the first picture looks much better than the second with the strange ribbons hanging off the chest. I don't know whether there is only one artist that does all the "armor" who has this "style" or if it is the Art Director who says "in order to make models look different we'll just randomly tack stuff on in places for no apparent reason". This has always made me wince. One of my current toons has a suit with these strange pads just strapped onto the thighs :{

Default Wait - What!!??

After the last update I had read:

-Warforged have exclusive Glamered Armor for their race.
    -Glamered armor is available in heavy, medium, light, robe, outfits and select costumes.
    -The effect of the cosmetic item can be toggled on and off on your characters inventory paper-doll, or removed from the cosmetic equipment slot and placed back in your inventory.
    -Cosmetic armors have unlimited uses and are bound to account.

I thought this was a great change. So I went to the DDO store yesterday and was looking around, and found an armor kit I liked. It really fit the look I wanted, and I was happy to equip it to my cosmetic armor slot, like my existing Spider Mask, and run around Stormreach with my new look (Warforged Spider-Docent).

When I looked at all the armor kits in the store, I didn't see anything that pointed out a difference between the armor kits available. I was thinking "-Many of the styles from the armor appearance kits have been converted to Glamered armor."

After equipping this cosmetic armor, it disappeared and bound my "meh" docent to character... so I went to the Release notes:

-Armor Appearance Kits, from the previous cosmetic system, will remain available in the DDO Store through June 30th.

Why would you do this??? Will existing armor kits, much like the existing hats, be converted IF WE HAVE ALREADY USED THEM, or did I just blow 450 TP? All my cosmetic hats were converted.

The new cosmetic armor system is a great idea... so leaving the old 1-time use, bind your stuff to character kits on the DDO Store is just dumb.

I wonder how many people bought one, thinking it was the other.......

While were on the subject, has there been any word from Turbine if there will be a way to convert my OLD cosmetic armour kits into the new style? You know, the ones I bought with real money which will become near useless when compared to the new kits??? Or is the answer... so sad, too bad, you gotta buy it twice if you want to take advantage of the new, shiny, better system we implemented????
    Naggesh-Drow Wiz PM TR--Borax DethAxe-Dwarf Rng/Mnk/Fgt--Accomplice of the Sorcerer-WF Arti TR --Ombrah the Outcast-BF Pali--Luxxs Interior-Human Bard WC--Xeak the Dirty-1/2ling Rog Assassin--Poli Styrene-Human Arti

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Then again, I don't like most of the vanity armors, I think way too many are ugly and impractical as armor. *shrugs*
    As for the impractical comment, that's the nice thing about the new "glamer/glamour" fluff text - what you're seeing is an illusion, you can be wearing something completely practical "underneath" the effect. It even gives an excuse as to why the armor kits are so much more revealing than 95% of the armor in the game.

It fits beautifully with Eberron's whole "low-level magic is common" theme. Adventuring is all about fame and glory - why wouldn't they try to look stylish in the process? Heck, wearing glamered armor would even have a strategic bonus - enemies will try to exploit that seemingly exposed midriff only to find they're stabbing a very solid and practical steel plate!

Now all we need is some gender-equality - bring on the loincloth-wearing male barbarians!

conan.jpg

(It's okay, he's actually wearing a very sensible parka)
    Last edited by dejafu; 06-04-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Some plain robes and medieval or classical style armor would be very welcome. Fantastical and flashy are fine but some options for those of us who aren't 12 years old would be nice.
    Yes, I actually miss outfits like you would see on a LARP or medieval festival which is sad, but hopefully with the new cosmetic possibilities we may one day in the future get those too...
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

2015 DDO Players Council InsanityIsYourFriend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    As for the impractical comment, that's the nice thing about the new "glamer/glamour" fluff text - what you're seeing is an illusion, you can be wearing something completely practical "underneath" the effect. It even gives an excuse as to why the armor kits are so much more revealing than 95% of the armor in the game.

It fits beautifully with Eberron's whole "low-level magic is common" theme. Adventuring is all about fame and glory - why wouldn't they try to look stylish in the process? Heck, wearing glamered armor would even have a strategic bonus - enemies will try to exploit that seemingly exposed midriff only to find they're stabbing a very solid and practical steel plate!

Now all we need is some gender-equality - bring on the loincloth-wearing male barbarians!

conan.jpg

(It's okay, he's actually wearing a very sensible parka)
    only if the female barbarians get one too! don't worry its just like going to the beach only the girls are wearing fur instead of thin cloth
    I am Falontani, Zeblazing, Zeholysoul, Zeshadowfist, Zesoulhuntah, Zedrunk, Singingblade, and many alts
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    Thanks for the report and Whoa.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    This is talked about a ton, and nothing is concrete at this point. Enter bugs with examples. Tons and tons of bugs. Make Gazebo cry.

Also, please let me pull an old armor kit off an old armor/docent/robe.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaldsberg View Post
    What I would like to see is a 'Glamer Stone', store-bought, dropped, or daily dice reward. The stone would allow you to permanently change any in-game armor into a glamered version. Some of the current glamered armors are nice, but it would also be very interesting to have the option to use the look of some of the in-game armors. Ideally, this concept could eventually be extended to weapons and shields.

The old armor kits were perm.....
    We dont want this now..
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamkatt View Post
    The old armor kits were perm.....
    We dont want this now..
    that's not what he asked for at all, he asked for a way to take the look of one already existing armor and turn it into a cosmetic armor, via a store bought item.

A request that might be the single most requested cosmetic store item in the games history

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast