Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

At this point, i think it's just the new normal.

Hadn't seen this thread yet and ran waterworks today, good thing I survived but I was like "what happened" for a few moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    Hadn't seen this thread yet and ran waterworks today, good thing I survived but I was like "what happened" for a few moments.
    Ya I learned the hard way jogging through that with my evasion guy. I was thinking.... the hell just happened?
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

1 year turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    1 year turbine.
    Would seem to ratify:

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    At this point, i think it's just the new normal.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Manager

This one's been on our radar for a while, and is something we intend to correct. It is a bug that poison traps (and drow poison attacks) do untyped damage. They should be doing poison damage, including a form of poison damage that can cause damage to those with poison mitigation (warforged, for instance.) However, being a warforged or having another form of poison mitigation should offer a benefit in preventing poison-related stat damage. We'll add this to the Known Issues list for now.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This one's been on our radar for a while, and is something we intend to correct. It is a bug that poison traps (and drow poison attacks) do untyped damage. They should be doing poison damage, including a form of poison damage that can cause damage to those with poison mitigation (warforged, for instance.) However, being a warforged or having another form of poison mitigation should offer a benefit in preventing poison-related stat damage. We'll add this to the Known Issues list for now.
    Thanks Cordovan. Playing with Ninja Spies, I've really enjoyed the challenges of poison attacks.

If I were a developer, I'd make most poison traps as natural poison damage, giving anyone with Proof Against Poison items a shot at being immune to the damage. This would be New Character 101 stuff since PaP gear is readily available at these levels. I got a character killed without a PaP in Waterworks from one of the non-WAI traps.

But to keep the challenge in higher adventures, some traps should be magical poisons, where Proof items give a save chance. These traps should always be disarmable or somehow avoidable to give a player a shot at less or no damage.

Drow Weapon Poisons should be very magical and require players to prepare.

I would not want to see supernatural poison traps anywhere. Holy cheese on a cracker--they're nasty enough from pit fiends and medusas!
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1313 View Post
    why everyone is whinning about poison traps... because u cannot ignore them anymore? u liked it better before, when u could just run through? yeah, that was a hell of a trap! at least now, u get to respect trappers more and not zerg through. this will learn the noobies to wait for the trappers also, or they gona have bad time. also, if u try to run through, noobies will follow for sure, causing you to lose your precious 10%

Drinking a poison pot after runnin through a poison trap, is not considered a trap imo.
    You misunderstand why people whine. It's because Turbine only has an on-off switch; they only have 2 colours, black and white (no grey), they nerf by nuking from orbit,....

Why do they have to either have a trap that is either completely harmless or automatic death? Is it so impossible to design a trap that can't be just utterly ignored, but at the same time can be survivable with the right build/preparation and a reasonable saving throw? Apparently Turbine is incapable of designing such a thing.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Is it wai that they are not doing stat dmg anymore and are doing hp dmg?
    For example in Relic they hit for 200.
    three words "Get a Rogue"
    The Rogues Guild - Sarlona
    How did that get in here? Hay give that back O that’s yours? Sorry
    Gordgray Gord of gray Hawk Rogues do it from behind

The problem is that its done by traps that didn't traditionally have any type of trap box. So avoiding the damage is near impossible and it's VERY high on Elite. If it's suppose to do damage then I suggest all traps get a trap box. Otherwise it's a matter of trying to survive the hit and that's just not a very enjoyable game.

Quote Originally Posted by Update 14 Release Notes
    Poison & Diseases

Changes have been made to the way that Poisons and Diseases behave in the game to be more inline with D&D rules:
    All Poisons and Diseases are now classified as either natural, magical, or supernatural.

Diseases
    Paladins are immune to natural, magical, and supernatural diseases through the granted feat "Divine Health"
    Purity of Body grants immunity to all natural diseases, but not magical or supernatural ones.
    Disease wards grant immunity to natural diseases, and an Enhancement bonus to saving throws against magical diseases. Additionally Disease Ward prevents the wearer from failing saving throws on a roll of a natural 1 (this renders the wearer immune to ability score damage from magical diseases with a DC of less than 7 + their Fortitude save).
    Poisons
    Monks with Diamond Body gain a +10 bonus to saving throws against magical poisons, and do not fail saving throws against them on a roll of a natural 1 (this renders you immune to ability score damage from magical poisons with a DC of less than 11 + your Fortitude save). You have Poison Resistance: 10 against poisons that deal hit point damage.
    Proof against Poison grants immunity to natural poisons, and an Enhancement bonus to saving throws against magical poisons. Additionally Proof against Poison prevents the wearer from failing saving throws on a roll of a natural 1 (this renders the wearer immune to ability score damage from magical poisons with a DC of less than 7 + their Fortitude save). Additionally you gain Poison Resistance 10 against poisons that deal hit point damage.
    Races & Creatures
    Warforged are naturally immune to sleep, energy drain, nausea, sickness, exhaustion, and paralysis effects except those which physically hold them in place. You are immune to ability score damage from natural poisons and natural diseases, but are vulnerable to those that specifically affect wood or metal. You gain a +10 Racial bonus to saving throws against magical poisons and magical diseases, and do not fail saving throws against them on a roll of a natural 1 (this renders you immune to ability score damage from magical poisons and magical diseases with a DC of less than 11 + your Fortitude save). You have Poison Resistance: 10 against poisons that deal hit point damage. If you transform into a different type of creature, you will lose these benefits until you return to your Warforged form.
    Bonuses from multiple racial/class type resistances stack, so a Warforged Monk 11/Druid 9 would end up immune to natural poisons and diseases (including ones that specifically affect wood and metal, since those are covered by the Monk and Druid feats), would have Poison Resistance: 30, and would have a +20 bonus to saves against magical poisons and diseases (rendering them immune to ability score damage from magical poisons and diseases with a DC of 21 + Fortitude save or less). As expected, those that cease being living constructs through a transformation effect will lose these traits, gaining traits appropriate to their new creature type. (Warforged Monks will retain these constructs traits even if they acquire Perfect Self.)
    Other Changes:
    The Neutralize Poison spell will grant immunity to all natural and magical poisons for 3 seconds per caster level. The Extend metamagic will apply to this aftereffect.
    The Remove Disease spell (and Paladin ability) will grant immunity to natural and magical diseases for 6 seconds per caster level. The Extend metamagic will apply to this aftereffect if the spell is cast.
    The Divine Cleansing enhancement will grant immunity to natural and magical diseases and poisons for 12 seconds per caster level.
    The Heroes' Feast spell grants immunity to natural poisons, and grants a +1 Enhancement bonus to saves vs. magical poisons per 3 caster levels for 1 minute per caster level.
    The Panacea, Heal, and Mass Heal spells will not grant lingering protection, but will cure poisons and diseases as before.
    SPECIAL NOTES ON MUMMY ROT: The grand-daddy of all diseases, Mummy Rot is a terrible fate, which previously was able to be worked around with immunity items (which didn't prevent the curse, but prevented the disease from applying ability score damage). Being exposed to Mummy Rot will no longer immediately apply the full curse - you'll have one minute to get a Remove Disease before it fully incubates and applies its supernatural curse and disease to you. The lingering effects listed above that provide immunity to magical diseases will also prevent this initial application of Mummy Rot.
    The bolded, italicized section indicates that poisons were changed during this update to do hit point and/or ability score damage. They were also classified as natural, magical, or supernatural. Different classes/races had total immunity stripped to partial immunity (immune to natural but not the other two) to pave the way for Drow poison damage to be considered dangerous to players. Freedom of Movement was also stripped during this time to pave the way for the Drow poison based paralysis to actually affect players.

This system change also affected poison traps.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    The problem is that its done by traps that didn't traditionally have any type of trap box. So avoiding the damage is near impossible and it's VERY high on Elite. If it's suppose to do damage then I suggest all traps get a trap box. Otherwise it's a matter of trying to survive the hit and that's just not a very enjoyable game.
    Every single one of those traps can be avoided.

Also, changing the untyped damage back to poison damage would once again bring viability back into carrying Neutralize Poison by pot/scroll/spell. Even the pot with it's whopping nerfed 3 seconds per casting level immunity would provide enough time to simply run through the trap.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    Every single one of those traps can be avoided.

Also, changing the untyped damage back to poison damage would once again bring viability back into carrying Neutralize Poison by pot/scroll/spell. Even the pot with it's whopping nerfed 3 seconds per casting level immunity would provide enough time to simply run through the trap.
    just checked now what i noticed recently - Neutralize poison, if used to prevent poison damage, prevents (contrary to spell description) only dmg from poisons that do ability dmg - based on what buff description says. so if u encounter trap with poison not doing ability dmg u re ... When did we got this nerf to Neutralize poison?

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthaag View Post
    just checked now what i noticed recently - Neutralize poison, if used to prevent poison damage, prevents (contrary to spell description) only dmg from poisons that do ability dmg - based on what buff description says. so if u encounter trap with poison not doing ability dmg u re ... When did we got this nerf to Neutralize poison?
    Update 14.

There were so many things being changed. And so many builds being broken by the changes. The playerbase spent more time fighting amongst itself as opposed to challenging the notion. Went through pretty much unchallenged.

I remember though many tr's I did following that change where I could drink a Neutralize Poison Pot, then run through a poison trap. I'm thinking the change of the damage to untyped as opposed to poison based was somewhat recent. The poison trap hallway in Delera's Part 4 for example. I used to drink a pot and jump through to grab the aggro of the Wight Priests so the rogue didn't get fried while working with Searing Light. I know I'd been technically hit by the trap on a few occasions and received no damage.

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

From early reports this change added HP damage to almost all poison traps but only some traps had damage that could be prevented by neutralize poison.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

iirc my druid is immune so there is something working right with them!
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

What about the fact poison traps generally do way too much damage for their level ?
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    The bolded, italicized section indicates that poisons were changed during this update to do hit point and/or ability score damage. They were also classified as natural, magical, or supernatural. Different classes/races had total immunity stripped to partial immunity (immune to natural but not the other two) to pave the way for Drow poison damage to be considered dangerous to players. Freedom of Movement was also stripped during this time to pave the way for the Drow poison based paralysis to actually affect players.

This system change also affected poison traps.
    And its a bug, not wai.

We are investigating this issue. In the meantime, I've sent in a bug report on it just in case.

Meanwhile, please do not attempt to bypass the Community Guidelines by writing messages in easily-translated code. The next person to do this will be outright banned. Consider this your only warning.

Community Member

1 year turbine.
    8 months. The new whole year. Coming to your calendar all over the world, nerfed by turbine devs themselves.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast