Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hello

  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1

    Talking Hello

    Greetings,

    I am a casual MMO player and I was looking for a new MMO to try out. Been a player of table top D&D for a long long time and I was thinking this might be a good game for me to try, Just had a few questions if someone had the time to answer them.

    How is the community? are they generally friendly? The one thing I miss from MMOs is the interaction with other players. But it seems these days in Most MMO's (WoW, FFXI, Eve) its all about the end game stuff and less about having fun with others.

    With that being said, is there soloable material or is it mostly group oriented? DnD in its nature is a party based game, so are groups around to party with or do you solo most of the time.

    How much is needed to invest in the game to get the maximum experience of the game? are we talking 100's of dollars to unlock stuff or is it reasonable. Most F2P games are Pay to win, are there god items you can buy with RL money (God I hope not, if so I think I will find another game) Or does paying just unlock new areas and levels. Also is there a subscription you can sign up for to unlock all this or is it a one time large purchase?

    Sorry if these have all been asked before, but I just want to make sure it is something I am interested in before investing money into the game. I will try the F2P Version to see if I like it but I hope I can get a good experience of the game from there. Thanks in Advance!!

    ~Eurika

  2. #2
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Hi, welcome to DDO.

    To answer your questions:

    Community - you'll find lots of friendly folks, but you'll also find plenty who are obsessed with endgame - or with TRing or zerging for XP or grinding for gear. The trick is either learning to form your own parties or finding a newbie-friendly guild which is recruiting.

    Grouping - only a handful of quests and most raids require grouping; almost everything else is soloable (provided you have DPS & heals), though of course some quests are a lot harder than others, particularly while you're still learning. Indeed, with the emphasis on self-sufficiency and "byoh" (bring your own heals) in some quarters, sometimes people complain DDO is too soloable and doesn't encourage enough grouping. Can't please everyone, I guess...

    P2W - broadly speaking, stuff in the DDO store is divided into adventure packs (which grant access to new quests & new loot); account options like extra char slots, bank space, new classes & races, etc.; in-game items & consumables like storage bags or ammo; and character perks which provide either temporary or permanent bonuses (e.g., tomes provide permanent bonuses, potions are temporary). There are a lot of F2P quests, but eventually you'll run out and need more; fortunately, you can earn TPs (Turbine Points) thru Favor, so it is possible (though very time-consuming) to unlock everything you want without paying. But apart from some adventure packs, there's nothing else you need from the DDO Store. Want, yes - need, no.

    Since you're familiar with PnP D&D, I presume you know what the core races, classes, etc. are, as well as the basics of the d20 system. However, Turbine's implementation is very different from the PnP rules (or other CRPGs like NWN, for that matter). So my advice is to come up with a character concept which appeals to you then ask for advice on a suitable build - or to find out why that idea doesn't work well in DDO.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurika View Post
    How much is needed to invest in the game to get the maximum experience of the game? are we talking 100's of dollars to unlock stuff or is it reasonable. [...] Also is there a subscription you can sign up for to unlock all this or is it a one time large purchase?
    It's fairly reasonable, but unlocking all the content will eventually add up to over a hundred bucks. This is normally stretched over time, though, as you can be up and running with a full game experience for $30 to $35. Getting a subscription unlocks most content right off the bat, and is something like $10 to $15 a month as a recurring charge, but you'd still need to buy expansions. Figure $20 or $30 for each expansion. (The second expansion is in pre-order now, but it doesn't look worth buying.)

    If you can handle a couple ~$30 purchases, one now and one in two months, a nice starter option is to buy a 60-day VIP code for $30. This gives you access to all content except expansions, which are level 20 content anyway so you won't be missing anything for the first month or two. You also get 500 TP per month from this, for a total of 1000 TP.

    After 60 days, if you're still into the game but don't want to pay a monthly fee, get the Menace of the Underdark standard edition for $35, which comes with a bonus of 4 packs and 1000 TP. Combine that with the 1000 TP from the 60 day VIP code and spend those 2000 points immediately on Gianthold and Vale of Twilight. At this point you would have plenty of content to level from 1 to 25, and would have access to endgame. (Endgame is currently Gianthold and MotU.)

    If after that first 60 days you weren't that into the game, just wash your hands of it and consider the $30 you spent a write-off. If you like the game but don't want to deal with buying adventure packs, go VIP indefinitely for a monthly fee and just get the $20 base edition of the MotU expansion instead of the $35 standard edition.

    Alternately, if you don't want to "waste" that first $30 on a monthly subscription you intend to cancel, start with the $35 MotU expansion, immediately buy Gianthold, then when you get high enough level to actually play Gianthold farm up enough favor on other servers (see "100 Favor Dash" in signature) to buy Vale of Twilight. This leaves you in the same position as mentioned before, with enough content to level from 1-25 with endgame unlocked.

    Most F2P games are Pay to win, are there god items you can buy with RL money (God I hope not, if so I think I will find another game) Or does paying just unlock new areas and levels.
    You pay to unlock areas, races and classes. You cannot pay for uber items. Other than content, the store is more about convenience and appearance, not power.

  4. #4
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,822

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurika View Post

    How is the community? are they generally friendly? The one thing I miss from MMOs is the interaction with other players. But it seems these days in Most MMO's (WoW, FFXI, Eve) its all about the end game stuff and less about having fun with others.
    It really depends. In general most people are friendly. Every now and again you'll group with a jerk. However, when that happens just remember, sometimes the jerk can be worth more than his weight in gold when it comes to entertainment value.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurika View Post
    With that being said, is there soloable material or is it mostly group oriented? DnD in its nature is a party based game, so are groups around to party with or do you solo most of the time.
    DDO is more group-oriented, though there has been a lost of concern about the lack of filled groups lately. I think this depends on your server. You can solo most content, though there are a few runs (maybe about a fifth of the content) that it is easier to get a group. I prefer to run in groups myself. What you'll probably want to do is find a decent guild, as it appears that this is where most of the group runs are occuring. Either that or find a cople of people you'd like to run with and form a semi-static group where you all can run the same content in the same timeframs (which is what I am doing now).

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurika View Post
    How much is needed to invest in the game to get the maximum experience of the game? are we talking 100's of dollars to unlock stuff or is it reasonable. Most F2P games are Pay to win, are there god items you can buy with RL money (God I hope not, if so I think I will find another game) Or does paying just unlock new areas and levels. Also is there a subscription you can sign up for to unlock all this or is it a one time large purchase?
    You can subscribe to VIP, but I don't recommend that at this point. Your best bet is to buy quest packs for content, and maybe Menace of the Underdark which is the expansion. The usual recommended quest packs are Shan to Kor, Deleras, Gianthold, Vale of Twilight, and Demon Sands as a start. To be honest, you can get a lot of decent gear by running the quests, and p2win (at this point), as you have described it, is not a part of the game.
    Last edited by bsquishwizzy; 06-05-2013 at 07:10 AM.

  5. #5
    Community Member susiedupfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Welcome!

    In addition to the above, I would like to add just a couple of things:

    Do not expect this to be like D&D(aka Pen and Paper, PnP, tabletop, etc). Don't expect to build a character like you would there. Hit points matter way more than you would ever imagine.

    Don't use one of the pre-rolled paths. Ask for a build, or post one for review here.

    I would not try to play any sort of caster for a first character(aka toon). I would suggest a basic melee type class so you can concentrate on learning the quests and game mechanics.

    I would look in the guild recruitment section of the forums for a newbie friendly guild posted by someone with a start date of 2011 or earlier. This helps to know who has some experience and will help you learn good habits rather than another newbie who knows little more than you.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Old world
    Posts
    119

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurika View Post
    Greetings,

    I am a casual MMO player and I was looking for a new MMO to try out. Been a player of table top D&D for a long long time and I was thinking this might be a good game for me to try, Just had a few questions if someone had the time to answer them.

    How is the community? are they generally friendly? The one thing I miss from MMOs is the interaction with other players. But it seems these days in Most MMO's (WoW, FFXI, Eve) its all about the end game stuff and less about having fun with others.

    With that being said, is there soloable material or is it mostly group oriented? DnD in its nature is a party based game, so are groups around to party with or do you solo most of the time.

    How much is needed to invest in the game to get the maximum experience of the game? are we talking 100's of dollars to unlock stuff or is it reasonable. Most F2P games are Pay to win, are there god items you can buy with RL money (God I hope not, if so I think I will find another game) Or does paying just unlock new areas and levels. Also is there a subscription you can sign up for to unlock all this or is it a one time large purchase?

    Sorry if these have all been asked before, but I just want to make sure it is something I am interested in before investing money into the game. I will try the F2P Version to see if I like it but I hope I can get a good experience of the game from there. Thanks in Advance!!

    ~Eurika
    HELLO

    I just add my point of view
    community - you will find all types..from kind and friendly to munchkin jerks, as in all games. if you want and if you are european (jsut for time zone compatibility), you can join our guild Draugrheimr on agronesen or just play with us sometimes. we play for fun, help if we can...maybe share some stuff if you need. but from my experience, you will get guild invite few minutes after entering harbour at least i get always some invite without asking. last time someone gave me whole guild on sarlona

    grouping - as stated above, its group oreinted just as d&d, but you can do actualy everything as solo, but sometimes you need helpful hand of rogue to get shiny, or someone who have enough STR to open something (if you are wizard),..etc.but its much harder to play solo. Im usually soloing or play with my gf, but you cant do raids solo (it is possible but...) also there are hirelings which can help you in quests.

    Cost - game cost as much as you want. you can play whole for free as f2p, you earn favor from quests and for favor you get TP so you can buuy som stuff for free, like adv.packs...not much but its free then you can buy sometimes TP and buy more stuff and you become premium f2p. its very good when you dont have much money, dont have time for be VIP, or just dont need to have all. I was VIP but now im premium coz i dont have time for VIP so premium is more suitable for me right now. and VIP...you get all except expansions..so...and you also get 500TP mer month, so price for VIP is quite cheap, at least in my country its cost less than one box of cigaretes so choise is all yours. if i can recommend, try f2p, if it will not be enoug for you,try vip for some period, then will you see.

    much info you get on ddowiki.com also about subscriptions and all.
    also, if you find some guild full of munchkins, just leave and find better one
    so velcome and have fun

    PS: for questing: you have 4 kinds - wilderness (slay hundreds of inhabitans, explore area, slay rare creatures), quests, challenges (time based challengins quests) and raids, so you can find what you like
    Last edited by Huldrekall; 06-10-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload