Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64
  1. #1

    Default So What's Going On? Leeches I tell you!

    This isn't my normal type of post and I will probably get my hand slapped but I've had enough.

    There is no such thing as Pay To Win.

    What we have here are basically 3 groups of players.

    1st group is broke or so young they don't have a job.
    2nd group has a little bit of discretionary income. May spend a bit on in game perks.
    3rd group has money out the behind and will spend what they want to on making the game fun for themselves.

    But, even though the game's player base is pretty stagnant, even though we have people complaining about little to no LFMs, even though we have some servers with next to none logging in, even though this company is a for profit company and must pay their employees, we still see a very special group of people crying about Pay To Win.

    At first I thought that this didn't make sense. Quickly it became very apparent what was happening. 2 very powerful and very damaging human emotional traits were showing their ugly heads:

    Envy
    Jealousy

    Cmon people-we need those bugs fixed->Turbine needs to pay the programmers.
    We need updated and new content-> Turbine needs to pay the programmers.
    We need more players->Turbine will make sure to make the game as fun as possible.

    Since when is Turbine a non-profit? Answer->Never.

    But the Pay To Win complainers are so angry at a perceived injustice they don't see the truth.

    Their boisterous complaints put their jealousies and envious mentality out in the open for all to see.

    It also spotlights another thing->you people are leeches-proudly proclaiming that you pay no money towards this game. None what so ever and any one who does is devil spawn.

    P2W-is an infantile argument, untrue in every aspect, destructive and ignorant.

    If someone paying to have fun grinds you in the gut so bad you yell P2W like a nazi mantra then quit the game. We will all be better for it.

    Flame away you leeches.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xenobias View Post
    This isn't my normal type of post and I will probably get my hand slapped but I've had enough.

    There is no such thing as Pay To Win.

    What we have here are basically 3 groups of players.

    1st group is broke or so young they don't have a job.
    2nd group has a little bit of discretionary income. May spend a bit on in game perks.
    3rd group has money out the behind and will spend what they want to on making the game fun for themselves.

    But, even though the game's player base is pretty stagnant, even though we have people complaining about little to no LFMs, even though we have some servers with next to none logging in, even though this company is a for profit company and must pay their employees, we still see a very special group of people crying about Pay To Win.

    At first I thought that this didn't make sense. Quickly it became very apparent what was happening. 2 very powerful and very damaging human emotional traits were showing their ugly heads:

    Envy
    Jealousy

    Cmon people-we need those bugs fixed->Turbine needs to pay the programmers.
    We need updated and new content-> Turbine needs to pay the programmers.
    We need more players->Turbine will make sure to make the game as fun as possible.

    Since when is Turbine a non-profit? Answer->Never.

    But the Pay To Win complainers are so angry at a perceived injustice they don't see the truth.

    Their boisterous complaints put their jealousies and envious mentality out in the open for all to see.

    It also spotlights another thing->you people are leeches-proudly proclaiming that you pay no money towards this game. None what so ever and any one who does is devil spawn.

    P2W-is an infantile argument, untrue in every aspect, destructive and ignorant.

    If someone paying to have fun grinds you in the gut so bad you yell P2W like a nazi mantra then quit the game. We will all be better for it.

    Flame away you leeches.
    While I'd tend to agree totally with you, I also understand that these fake emotionals feelings (since there is no harm done in this situation) are stuck in deep for some. There are reasons that made people how they are and, maybe it sucks, but we gotta deal with it because it is part of our reality.

    But yeah still true... espacially for leechers that are getting a great game and at the same time telling BS at people that makes it keep going... that's sad.

    Brought that point some times ago but it's nothing special, just a micro-society in which everyday's bad behaviors can be observed.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

  3. #3
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xenobias View Post
    There is no such thing as Pay To Win.
    What we have here are basically 3 groups of players.
    But, even though the game's player base is pretty stagnant, even though we have people complaining about little to no LFMs, even though we have some servers with next to none logging in, even though this company is a for profit company and must pay their employees, we still see a very special group of people crying about Pay To Win.
    Yes, there is no such thing as P2W. No, there are many more types of players. And P2W has nothing to do with supporting the game. There are plenty of things you can spend money on in DDO without supporting P2W if you don't want to. Buying Pets, Cosmetic items, Adventure Packs, etc. is not P2W.

    So if people want to complain about P2W let them.

  4. #4
    Community Member Vint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    You left out a number 4. I have more than enough money to give, but I do not knowing that they will ont put the money back into the game. Did Turbine hire any more people with all the money they made from the otto's box? Are all the new companions covering the cost of running a "new and improved" forum? Is all the expansion money they are getting keeping the number of bugs down?

    The prooblem they have is that they can't see the forest for the trees. They offer BTC bags and they see 100 of them. Make them BTA and they will sell a 1000 of them. We ask for more bank space and we get another companion. Sure some may like the companions, but I know of other ways that would really increase the revenue.

    Go ahead and blindly throwing your money at Turbine. Until they show that they are putting the money back into the game, dont expect much out of many of us.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

    LEGION

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xenobias View Post
    But, even though the game's player base is pretty stagnant, even though we have people complaining about little to no LFMs, even though we have some servers with next to none logging in, even though this company is a for profit company and must pay their employees, we still see a very special group of people crying about Pay To Win.
    ...
    Am I failing a sarcasm check somewhere here?


    Anyways,
    Quote Originally Posted by xenobias View Post
    [...]
    Since when is Turbine a non-profit? Answer->Never.
    In real world, business work like this:
    You give people what they want and they pay you.
    You can use the money to make more stuff to sell.
    If they like what you sell, the people who bought before will buy again, and possibly buy more or invite friends.

    You don't give people what they want and they don't pay you.
    No, they don't randomly pay you just in case the next stuff you make is to their liking.
    And if they tried your product and found it lacking, they will rather try something else than purchasing from you. And of course they don't tell their friends to buy from you.

    Now, I don't have any insider knowledge, but I see a number of clues as to which of these scenarios is happening now with DDO...




    BTW, out of curiosity.
    In light of the bold statement that "There is no such thing as Pay To Win.", could you explain how being able to buy 8 levels for dollars is not an example of it?

  6. #6
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    P2W is anything where spending money gets you more in game power. There are two prime examples of it, btcoe gear and the shard exchange where you can spend real life money and be end game geared, and otto's boxes where you spend money and get over 8 levels if you have xp effects active. Sorry but there is p2w, it's effects can be argued it's existance can't.

  7. #7
    Community Member Burradin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Radcliff Ky
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindCakes View Post
    ...BTW, out of curiosity.In light of the bold statement that "There is no such thing as Pay To Win.", could you explain how being able to buy 8 levels for dollars is not an example of it?
    At the end of those 8 levels, does it say you won and game is over? No more to play? Nope, you didn't win. Technically there is no end to the game like RPGs, single player games out there. So actually, PTW is not possible in an MMO.
    It is ok to hate me, I don't like me most of the time.
    The Harsh Reality is "we both believe we are right"
    People are strange

  8. #8
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burradin View Post
    At the end of those 8 levels, does it say you won and game is over? No more to play? Nope, you didn't win. Technically there is no end to the game like RPGs, single player games out there. So actually, PTW is not possible in an MMO.

  9. #9
    Community Member redoubt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    I've been vip since a week or two after launch... guess that makes me pay to win, eh?

    Anyway, what many who have been here far less time fail so see, through no fault of their own, is the bigger, longer view of the history of the game and the changes made since launch.

    One of those major changes revolves around the micro purchase paradigm. Selling stuff in the DDO store increases revenue. Great for turbine and maybe good for DDO if the money comes back to us. When first put out to the DDO community the store was going to be perks and fluff, but nothing that would alter the game. Would you say that is true of the store today?

    Enter the complaints about pay to win. If you can purchase something for cash that makes your character more powerful then you enter a pay to win situation. Tomes for example are a pay to win item.

    Do I use the DDO store. Yep. I buy lots of TR the LR hearts and xp potions as well as the occasional rogue hire. (I've even bought tomes, but more on that later.)

    When the store only sold stuff that didn't affect a characters ability to complete a dungeon, no one cared. Buy all the cosmetic armor kits and hair dye you like. It doesn't touch balance at all.

    When the store sells things that make the actual quest completion faster and easier, then the complaints start. Also, the balance issues begin. (Balance not between classes, but between players and the quests.) Quests are eventually altered and new quests are designed with the purchasable items in mind until the items are not longer nice to have, but needed for the new content. Now you must "pay to win" and turbine sells more stuff, but now its no longer good for us, its just good for them.

    I don't care what anyone else buys or has as long as the game is NOT changed to account for what that "anyone else" buys or has. As soon as Turbine alters the game because of what they are selling there is no more option to "simply don't use it if you don't like it". The game is now based on the assumption that you have it. That is where "pay to win" in a non-competitive game goes wrong.

    Can you see the difference?
    /sigh

  10. #10
    Community Member redspecter23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Pay to win does exist, but it's not a static constant. It's a relative variable that changes from person to person. Every person has a point where the game would become pay to win for them. Perhaps if Turbine were to charge $0.25 per hour to play the game, it would be pay to win for someone. Perhaps if Turbine were selling epic Sword of Shadows in the store, the game would be pay to win. You can't nail down what pay to win means to every single person. As shown in the OP, some people have a very high threshold before they consider the game to be pay to win.

    Also remember that the term pay to win is also relative because "winning" is different to different people. To me, winning is achieving my personal list of game goals, many of which can be made easier and faster with store purchases. In that way, I consider some aspect of the game to be pay to win as I could, theoretically, pay to achieve my personal goals faster.

    Also consider that even with these 2 variables, you still have a third variable. An individual's own tolerance to pay to win. Just because something is pay to win, doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing to someone. I disagree with Otto's boxes, but I understand that is something I have an issue with and that other people might like them, whether they consider them pay to win or not.

    People need to keep an open mind about issues such as pay to win and realize there is no right or wrong as it's all relative. It's a personal opinion and you can't just demand everyone share the same opinion.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

  11. #11
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    P2W is anything where spending money gets you more in game power. There are two prime examples of it, btcoe gear and the shard exchange where you can spend real life money and be end game geared, and otto's boxes where you spend money and get over 8 levels if you have xp effects active. Sorry but there is p2w, it's effects can be argued it's existance can't.
    No, there is no "pay to win" because you can't "win" an MMO. Its a stupid term that shouldn't exist. Who cares if some people pay money to get something in game? There is no PvP so there is no contest between my PC and your PC.

  12. #12
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    When the store sells things that make the actual quest completion faster and easier, then the complaints start. Also, the balance issues begin. (Balance not between classes, but between players and the quests.) Quests are eventually altered and new quests are designed with the purchasable items in mind until the items are not longer nice to have, but needed for the new content. Now you must "pay to win" and turbine sells more stuff, but now its no longer good for us, its just good for them.
    I also have been playing the game since the beginning (technically before). I am a casual player/altoholic, not a powergamer. I have never purchased anything from the store to increase the power of a character. Neither have the people in my static group who are also pretty casual. Yet we almost always run quests in an Epic bravery streak. What quests have been altered to account for "P2W" items?

  13. #13
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyx View Post
    Stopped reading right here...as you very obviously have no idea what you're talking about....but yes, DDO is pay to win in every sense of the meaning, if you cannot see it, you are blind, stupid or have no clue what so ever what the term means.
    Insults - an excellent argument...

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Insults - an excellent argument...
    No insult, its a fact...you clearly have no idea what the term "pay to win" means, it is not a literal term.

    Pay to win is buying any advantage with real life money, as is the case with DDO.

    At one end of the scale we have something like EVE online which offers absolutely no items with give any advantage what so ever...nothing that isnt purely cosmetic.
    At the other end of the scale we have something like Combat Arms, which offers massive advantages over other players dependent on how much cash you spend...the more cash you spend, the more you win.

    Somewhere in the middle is DDO, which clearly does offer advantages for real life money....saying silly nonsense like "you cant win an MMO, so pay to win doesn't exist" is stupid and shows your ignorance on the subject.

  15. #15
    Community Member Vint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I also have been playing the game since the beginning (technically before). I am a casual player/altoholic, not a powergamer. I have never purchased anything from the store to increase the power of a character. Neither have the people in my static group who are also pretty casual. Yet we almost always run quests in an Epic bravery streak. What quests have been altered to account for "P2W" items?
    I don’t buy any of the fluff items from the store, and I really do not consider those as P2W. There only 2 things that really bother me about P2W (only 1 really, but there are 2 examples.)

    First is mana pots. Turbine did away with extended firewall and blade barrier because they were too OP. Then they turn around allow you to extend nonstop by drinking store pots. Was extended firewall game breaking? Did it really affect the way I play? Not really. I can conserve mana with the best of them, but this is something that was switched. If we had no P2W, we would still have extended spells, but Turbine decided to nickel and dime us on top of what we were paying.

    Second point is xp. Sure they gave us bravery bonus, and I can agree that you do not need pots to cap within a reasonable time, but Turbine is there to capitalize again. They will allow you to pay for an xp tome. They will allow you to pay for 50% xp pots.

    The problem with quest xp goes back to Amrath. House C quests, (not to mention bait and switch challenge xp). Why should they increase the xp in these quests if they can make you pay for them? They need money, and I can understand that, but this is P2W. Why do they keep nerfing xp in rusted blades and I demands? If you look close you will see that if you drink a 50% xp pot, you will still not be getting as much xp as when the quest was released. Why is that? Was the xp that OP or is Turbine just trying to fleece us?

    I can agree with you somewhat, but don’t pretend P2W is not here. If it were not Turbine would stop nerfing things just to sell them right back to us?
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

    LEGION

  16. #16
    Community Member FestusHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    For me, pay to win will always mean that if you don't pay, you either can't proceed in the game, or , by a looser definition, can't be competitive.

    As long as you can get just as much 'power' by only playing the game as you can by spending cash, it's not a pay to win situation in my opinion.

    Raid timer bypasses, leveling stones, xp pots are all just convenience items. They don't give you anything you can't get by playing. If they are pay to win, then vip certainly is, due to being able to open elite first time in a dungeon. Gets you more xp, allows you to build favor faster. Let's not even talk about having access to p2p packs, where all the good named loot is.

  17. #17
    Community Member FestusHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    First is mana pots. Turbine did away with extended firewall and blade barrier because they were too OP. Then they turn around allow you to extend nonstop by drinking store pots. Was extended firewall game breaking? Did it really affect the way I play? Not really. I can conserve mana with the best of them, but this is something that was switched. If we had no P2W, we would still have extended spells, but Turbine decided to nickel and dime us on top of what we were paying.
    You can do this with in game pots too. Lots of vets talk about having millions of plat. If you can't buy enough in game pots with that, maybe you need to work on your efficiency a little. Maybe turn maximize off once in a while.

  18. #18
    Community Member Systern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    913

    Default

    As above, as long as the best stuff is in the game and not in the store, you're not paying to win.

    I'm going to borrow a term from the Microsoft Anti-Trust lawsuit years ago...

    The largest hurdle that an MMO has in growing it's playerbase is the existing playerbase. New customers have this stigma that they'll always be left behind and on the tail end of the curve. While some may enjoy the game for itself, others will be immediately turned off to the idea that they'll never be able to play end-game. This is the "barrier to entry". The vets that have played for years and years and have everything, have grown their knowledge incrementally with each update, have all the cool loot... These daunting fellows put newbies off since they think they'll never catch up.

    Thus the store tomes, and packs, and bypasses, and such... They're not paying to win, they're paying to catch-up. Paying to be 2nd rate so they can hope to attain the 1st tier end-game items.

    "Come and play!"
    "But I'll never be a Shade, or Zonixx, or Keybreaker, or... <insert prominent old fart here>"
    "Well, if it's really that important to you, there are items in the store to help you catch up..."

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    As above, as long as the best stuff is in the game and not in the store, you're not paying to win.

    I'm going to borrow a term from the Microsoft Anti-Trust lawsuit years ago...

    The largest hurdle that an MMO has in growing it's playerbase is the existing playerbase. New customers have this stigma that they'll always be left behind and on the tail end of the curve. While some may enjoy the game for itself, others will be immediately turned off to the idea that they'll never be able to play end-game. This is the "barrier to entry". The vets that have played for years and years and have everything, have grown their knowledge incrementally with each update, have all the cool loot... These daunting fellows put newbies off since they think they'll never catch up.

    Thus the store tomes, and packs, and bypasses, and such... They're not paying to win, they're paying to catch-up. Paying to be 2nd rate so they can hope to attain the 1st tier end-game items.

    "Come and play!"
    "But I'll never be a Shade, or Zonixx, or Keybreaker, or... <insert prominent old fart here>"
    "Well, if it's really that important to you, there are items in the store to help you catch up..."
    You pretty much just described pay to win in its simplest terms....."paying money to by-pass game-play"...paying money to by-pass game-play and playing "catch up" without having to earn it in game is pay to win.

    Also you can pretty much buy some of the best stuff in the game with real money via astral shards...you can also buy supreme tomes, skill tomes etc straight from the store, things you cannot get from any amount of game play

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyx View Post
    You pretty much just described pay to win in its simplest terms....."paying money to by-pass game-play"...paying money to by-pass game-play and playing "catch up" without having to earn it in game is pay to win.

    Also you can pretty much buy some of the best stuff in the game with real money via astral shards...you can also buy supreme tomes, skill tomes etc straight from the store, things you cannot get from any amount of game play
    What happens there is that people mix up P2W (as in pay for power) and P2W (as in pay to save time). There is nothing in the store that I can see as really game changing that isn't available in game.

    That's why I think the OP's goal was to express that there is no such thing as real P2W in DDO so why not stop judging other who spend? This is even more true when you see a f2p player that is looking for exploit. What's the difference?
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload