Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    658

    Default Sometimes piking is good.

    Seems to be much ado about nothing. If a piker bothers you, don't group with them again.

    At any time, any single person could have a RL issue to attend to. No biggie.

    Also, sometimes piking may be the best option. Imagine being in a newb group (that is performing well) in Wiz King and someone falls through the floor. It is better for that person to get to the middle rest area and pike for a while and then rejoin the group when the group is done with a tower as opposed to waste everyone's time coming down so everyone can hold hands together in the quest. I can think of lots of in-game examples where someone piking around for a while is the best option when the group gets separated.

    Problem is that if people don't know the quest, they could totally misinterpret that decision to 'pike.' That itself is a good reason NOT to have a 'report piker' option.

    Vallin.

  2. #42
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,614

    Default

    While there is a mechanic for reporting Grief'ing, not all Piking can be considered Grief'ing. Next piking is not as cut and dry as some would like it to be. The best pikers go undetected because they look like they are contributing, the worst are more blatant such as entering the quest and going AFK until it finishes.

    Khyber's honorable Hordo is one of our best Poster Boys on the "Best" pikers. Making an art form out of it.

    The best approach to take when one does encounter someone who is insistent on earning XP/Favor without lifting a finger, is to simply regroup without them. If it is your party, recall and reform. If it is not your party and the PL seems to be ok with it, it does not mean you have to be. Personally I will finish what I started, but then will politely leave once finished, as I do not think it is fair to the other members of the group.

    Also there is the Multi-Box, I remember when I first started running into Multi-boxing for the first time. I was upset that the bard was just sitting at the entrance while we struggled 2 manning a quest. I finally got fed up and told the bard a thing or two of how I felt. The PL laughed and then let me know that he was dual boxing and the Bard was also him. I felt a bit sheepish, but we laughed it off. Of course I strongly agree with PL announcing or approving Dual Boxing is occurring in their groups. This gives other members the opportunity to decide if they are still willing to participate with the group. Its the full disclosure thing.

    My opinion now is that I don't sweat piking if I'm not the PL, I just don't continue after the Piker was identified. If I am the PL I will make the decision to either recall and reform, or complete and remove depending on where we are, a bad piker will at best get one freebee from me.

    Now I also run with my guild which is full of parents who at any given time may be called away, but the difference here is we agree to impromptu piking, and as parents if the situation calls for the end of gaming at that time and it is a non-life threating case we will politely leave group and the rest of us parents understand.

    Personally I think piking that is not agreed upon is a bad thing, it is also a rare thing, I've meet 2 Bad pikers in my entire time playing DDO. And neither one got the completion/xp/loot of the quest, because as a group we left and reformed leaving them inside.

    The more the community takes this stand against the Bad Piker the less we will see it.

  3. #43
    Community Member debo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    I hope that was sarcasm.


    According to your logic, if you can't solo all content (including, I presume, epic elite quests and raids) then you have no business ever running that content?

    So, when you started DDO, you were able to run all content solo on the first day? Wow, you're awesome!
    Yes, it was sarcasm. And yes, when i started playing I was able to run all content the first day. I started beta, and beta was completely different then it is now. If you want to only count live, it was just as easy when the lvl cap was 10 and all we had to challenge us partially was von5/6.

  4. #44
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Your best option in the 0.001% of all LFM's that you'll ever encounter a true piker in; is to reform and take personal control over what you can (i.e. be accountable).

    Hold someone accountable for Piking? How exactly? You know this is a game right? Exactly how in this hazy nebulous ill defined fantasy of accountability do you prove the act of piking, or the intent of the person beyond just "hear say" your words against the pikers? even if trying to do so wasn't just a massive silly waste of time over something that is nearly non existent in the game.

    Dear Turbine,

    I would like to report the L25 dark monk in my eGH slayer PUG today because he was in the Fatesinger destiny instead of a more useful one for our group's DPS.

  5. #45
    Community Member Dimack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pirate Ship
    Posts
    229

    Default

    This thread is full of win. lol reporting people for having to take a leak or answer the phone that's freaking awesome. Heh, I can't think of a single time in my years of playing this game where I've not at least once had to afk for a min or two mid quest to deal with a screaming child, a door, a phone, the wife, the 1,000,000 other things that spring up during an evening of playing.

    No, you can't report people for your subjective belief that they are piking. Even if you could it wouldn't be a party member's job but rather the leader which the op wasn't in this case. Heck as leader it's your party. You could invite your friends and tell them to pike at will.
    -Die (teh_troll's unofficial legal counsel)
    Captain’s Crew of Ghalanda
    Characters: Diemmak – Dimack – Dianotherday – Dieinafire – Elieath – Inonelite – Nowyoudie - LivenletDie - DIhard


  6. #46
    Community Member debo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    This thread is full of win. lol reporting people for having to take a leak or answer the phone that's freaking awesome. Heh, I can't think of a single time in my years of playing this game where I've not at least once had to afk for a min or two mid quest to deal with a screaming child, a door, a phone, the wife, the 1,000,000 other things that spring up during an evening of playing.

    No, you can't report people for your subjective belief that they are piking. Even if you could it wouldn't be a party member's job but rather the leader which the op wasn't in this case. Heck as leader it's your party. You could invite your friends and tell them to pike at will.
    I freely admit when I get blind invited into a party, I find the nearest quest and enter it then go afk till the group broken up.

  7. #47
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    This thread is full of win. lol reporting people for having to take a leak or answer the phone that's freaking awesome. Heh, I can't think of a single time in my years of playing this game where I've not at least once had to afk for a min or two mid quest to deal with a screaming child, a door, a phone, the wife, the 1,000,000 other things that spring up during an evening of playing.

    No, you can't report people for your subjective belief that they are piking. Even if you could it wouldn't be a party member's job but rather the leader which the op wasn't in this case. Heck as leader it's your party. You could invite your friends and tell them to pike at will.
    Perhaps you can help me. How do I report someone in the forum who is posting stuff about how they aren't willing to deal with others (and life) on their own?

    /Sarcasm

  8. #48
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,623

    Default

    Very sad that so many of the replies in this thread prove that they only read the title and did not read the actual OP. The OP talks about a specific incident where in two consecutive quests a player piked. In the first quest perhaps the "piker" had a RL excuse. But if you are having enough of an emergency that you can't even type a couple of words in chat to warn your group that you are afk, how do you leave that quest and enter the next quest (and proceed to pike again)? And why would you do that if your group is trying to tell you that they need you to help instead of pike? Unless you're a piker, not someone having some difficulty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    This thread is full of win. lol reporting people for having to take a leak or answer the phone that's freaking awesome. Heh, I can't think of a single time in my years of playing this game where I've not at least once had to afk for a min or two mid quest to deal with a screaming child, a door, a phone, the wife, the 1,000,000 other things that spring up during an evening of playing.
    So you PUG all the time knowing full well that every single time you quest you will have RL problems that will keep you from actually participating in the ENTIRE QUEST? (Because that's what the OP is talking about.) Wow, what server are you on?

  9. #49
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    So you PUG all the time knowing full well that every single time you quest you will have RL problems that will keep you from actually participating in the ENTIRE QUEST? (Because that's what the OP is talking about.) Wow, what server are you on?
    Wow, how seriously do you take the game?

    Bodily functions happen, phones ring and doors get knocked on and that doesn't even take into account spouses and children that generally take priority over video games. At least from my perspective.

  10. #50
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    So you PUG all the time knowing full well that every single time you quest you will have RL problems that will keep you from actually participating in the ENTIRE QUEST? (Because that's what the OP is talking about.) Wow, what server are you on?
    During my recreation time I'm fully aware that RL stuff can and will happen. A 3 year old doesn't plan being sick at 1AM in the morning or at least none of my kids have ever scheduled that with me.

    If my daughter's ride is having car trouble, you be darn tootin that I'll not be finishing the quest. No way I'm leaving my daughter out at night with a broke down car.

    Look everyone of us can agree on this, sometime stuff happens that is totally outside of our control and it puts a backseat on recreation.

    Now mind you I advocate closing the game when you find that you cannot participate any more, exception being the obvious that a life is in the balance, then let it time out, I don't want you worrying about a game or how you effect us when you should be concentrating on getting someone to a Doctor. We will figure it out.

    However, in those rare cases where you have that person that just wants the XP and Favor but doesn't want to play those are the ones that should be added to people's special list and avoided once they are identified.

  11. #51
    Community Member Dimack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pirate Ship
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Never said every quest, I said at least once every time I try to have an evening of playing some RL stuff will pop up and it seems like it always has to pop up while I'm mid quest. Don't talk about my inability to read and then not read what I write. As for the OP I did read it and his follow ups before it got boring. The answer was given to him in the first few posts. However, despite him getting the only answer he/she will ever get he/she insisted on wanting the ability to get people banned/reported which seemed so off the chart to me I commented on it. Clearly he/she should have dropped party if he/she was so rear end hurt that someone was piking in two whole quests! Asking to have that person punished by turbine/ddo is just petty.

    As for server/name I realized today that the winning new forums destroyed all my links, however unlike some, I've never felt the need to hide behind forum anonymity and so all my mains are listed below, as I could care less if people know my character's name(s) and since the links are now dead I'll let you know I only play on G-land.

    And despite this no, I'm not advocating for someone to go from quest to quest and pike, just this whole reporting thing annoyed me. People get way to quick to try to get people banned. Just move on.
    -Die (teh_troll's unofficial legal counsel)
    Captain’s Crew of Ghalanda
    Characters: Diemmak – Dimack – Dianotherday – Dieinafire – Elieath – Inonelite – Nowyoudie - LivenletDie - DIhard


  12. #52
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Sometimes it's not what you do... but how you do it.

    Same with pikers. You don't have to be a medium to read someone's intentions. What I don't like is sometimes I feel that some players consider others like if they were computers or AI and act like it's never a problem to make those wait.

    I have very low tolerance for someone that pike or take many break unless I understand there's a real deal. I have 0 tolerance for someone that pike and doesn't go out when the quest is done during a window farming session since that's all he has to do. Usually i'm pretty relaxed... but that does reach deep inside.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 06-05-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

  13. #53
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    Never said every quest, I said at least once every time I try to have an evening of playing some RL stuff will pop up and it seems like it always has to pop up while I'm mid quest. Don't talk about my inability to read and then not read what I write.
    Perhaps you can help me... is there a way to report people who don't read what I write?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    People get way to quick to try to get people banned. Just move on.
    Ohhhh

    Perhaps you can help me... is there a way to get people banned who don't read what I write?

  14. #54
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    During my recreation time I'm fully aware that RL stuff can and will happen. A 3 year old doesn't plan being sick at 1AM in the morning or at least none of my kids have ever scheduled that with me.

    If my daughter's ride is having car trouble, you be darn tootin that I'll not be finishing the quest. No way I'm leaving my daughter out at night with a broke down car.

    Look everyone of us can agree on this, sometime stuff happens that is totally outside of our control and it puts a backseat on recreation.

    Now mind you I advocate closing the game when you find that you cannot participate any more, exception being the obvious that a life is in the balance, then let it time out, I don't want you worrying about a game or how you effect us when you should be concentrating on getting someone to a Doctor. We will figure it out.
    One of the foundations of my guild is that real life happens and if it does, then people in the game are expected to deal with it and keep going. At the risk of summoning beetlejuice, it is also why my guild encourages BYOH... so there is never an excuse that someone (else) was critical to finishing a task/quest... and on the flip side, so people with potential real life distractions can play the game. Quitting the game until the kid is 18 (or 25), just seems a little over the top.

    And in the spirit of this thread, perhaps you can help me... Is there a way to report people in real life when they have a problem?

  15. #55
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Perhaps you can help me... is there a way to report people who don't read what I write?



    Ohhhh

    Perhaps you can help me... is there a way to get people banned who don't read what I write?
    Banned - No

    But I believe Squelch still works and will accomplish what you are after I believe.

  16. #56
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    While there is a mechanic for reporting Grief'ing, not all Piking can be considered Grief'ing. Next piking is not as cut and dry as some would like it to be. The best pikers go undetected because they look like they are contributing, the worst are more blatant such as entering the quest and going AFK until it finishes.

    Khyber's honorable Hordo is one of our best Poster Boys on the "Best" pikers. Making an art form out of it.

    The best approach to take when one does encounter someone who is insistent on earning XP/Favor without lifting a finger, is to simply regroup without them. If it is your party, recall and reform. If it is not your party and the PL seems to be ok with it, it does not mean you have to be. Personally I will finish what I started, but then will politely leave once finished, as I do not think it is fair to the other members of the group.

    Also there is the Multi-Box, I remember when I first started running into Multi-boxing for the first time. I was upset that the bard was just sitting at the entrance while we struggled 2 manning a quest. I finally got fed up and told the bard a thing or two of how I felt. The PL laughed and then let me know that he was dual boxing and the Bard was also him. I felt a bit sheepish, but we laughed it off. Of course I strongly agree with PL announcing or approving Dual Boxing is occurring in their groups. This gives other members the opportunity to decide if they are still willing to participate with the group. Its the full disclosure thing.

    My opinion now is that I don't sweat piking if I'm not the PL, I just don't continue after the Piker was identified. If I am the PL I will make the decision to either recall and reform, or complete and remove depending on where we are, a bad piker will at best get one freebee from me.

    Now I also run with my guild which is full of parents who at any given time may be called away, but the difference here is we agree to impromptu piking, and as parents if the situation calls for the end of gaming at that time and it is a non-life threating case we will politely leave group and the rest of us parents understand.

    Personally I think piking that is not agreed upon is a bad thing, it is also a rare thing, I've meet 2 Bad pikers in my entire time playing DDO. And neither one got the completion/xp/loot of the quest, because as a group we left and reformed leaving them inside.

    The more the community takes this stand against the Bad Piker the less we will see it.
    Enoach pretty much sums it up perfectly.

    Think of it this way. Piking is a playstyle. So is Zerging, and Permadeath. You may not like any of these playstyles, and regardless of the playstyle, odds are that the players have payed for access to the game, and so can play any which way they want. And so can you.

    If you don't like someone's playstyle, then you can of course reform without them, squelch, and move on. That's all you can do.

    Turbine will do absolutely nothing against pikers, or any other paying customer. And even non-paying customers are customers.

    ...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

    Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

  17. #57
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Very sad that so many of the replies in this thread prove that they only read the title


    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    So you PUG all the time knowing full well that every single time you quest you will have RL problems that will keep you from actually participating in the ENTIRE QUEST? (Because that's what the OP is talking about.) Wow, what server are you on?
    ^^^^ vvvvv

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    I can't think of a single time in my years of playing this game where I've not at least once had to afk for a min or two mid quest to deal with a screaming child, a door, a phone, the wife, the 1,000,000 other things that spring up during an evening of playing..
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    so many of the replies in this thread prove that they only read the title
    ^^^ vvv

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    the 1,000,000 other things that spring up during an evening of playing..
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    only read the title
    ^v

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    during an evening of playing..

  18. #58
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimack View Post
    Never said every quest, I said at least once every time I try to have an evening of playing some RL stuff will pop up and it seems like it always has to pop up while I'm mid quest. Don't talk about my inability to read and then not read what I write.
    I'm still talking about your (and the rest of the people who responded to me) ability read. The OP was talking about a PIKER. Someone who entered the quest and then stopped at the door and did nothing for the rest of the quest. You keep defending these people by insisting that they might have a good excuse. So I'm going to "assume" that you mean what you say - you identify with these people so you must be talking about the same thing right? So that is what you do also? And all the other people defending pikers? You walk into a quest and then SUDDENLY have an emergency that lasts for the entire rest of the quest?

    If that's not what you're talking about then you're not talking about Piking. The OP and several of the rest of us are talking about Piking. Can we get back to that topic?

  19. #59
    The Hatchery whomhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    The OP and several of the rest of us are talking about Piking. Can we get back to that topic?
    OR, we could just forget about it. Sometimes, some people are going to pike. Yes, it is lame. Yes, you can keep shouting into the wilderness about how horrible it is. No, it won't help. At all.

    Or you could just play the game, stop grouping with anyone you know to be a piker (or anyone else who does something that bothers you), and realize that there isn't anything you can do about it so you might as well just have fun despite the occasional piker (which is still totally and incontrovertibly lame).

    Or not. Whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by whomhead; 06-05-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: But hey, keep fighting that good/pointless fight if it makes you happy.

  20. #60
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Very sad that so many of the replies in this thread prove that they only read the title and did not read the actual OP. The OP talks about a specific incident where in two consecutive quests a player piked. In the first quest perhaps the "piker" had a RL excuse.

    You are inferring quite a bit from what the OP actually wrote. He said he 'suspected' the guy was piking (whatever that means) and the player's buddy told the OP he was lagging. The later the OP suspected the player was piking again, but somehow determined the player wasn't lagging, but piking. How? How did OP know the player was piking and not suffering from extremely bad lag or computer issues or whatever?


    OP never said the guy just blatantly camped at the entrance and went afk. He said
    he said he was a friend and probably had a lag or some such, which I believed at the time, but made the connections once I saw it happen again.

    What does 'made the connections' mean? It sounds like the guy was doing SOMETHING, but he wasn't as effective as the OP wanted. Obviously the party leader didn't have problem with it since he kept the player around for a second quest.


    And blaming the guy with lag issues for failing the quest? Doesn't make the OP's perspective seem any more credible.
    Last edited by Postumus; 06-06-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload