Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    Wasn't my LFM in the first place, in either instance. The other times were in raids so it wasn't a big deal.
    But you stayed in that group by your own choice.
    Why not?
    Because one isn't doing something wrong if they aren't doing anything at all. Nobody is under any obligation to play up to your standards, while at the same time you are not forced to play with anyone who doesn't meet your standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhanns View Post
    To OP, i hear you, there was a guy who piked a entire quest in my group yesterday then i asked at the end and he said "oh i don't want a repair bill" but i suppose its better than the patronising lies that some use to pike, anyway it was not a issue i simply remember his name, kick him and explain to the group the LFM is back up for someone who wants to play.

Noting you can do about them, just deal with it without anger move on and have fun
    I like to grab agro from a mob and then lead them to said piker. Ddoor is a wonderful thing.
    Gum Shoe~Drow Elf Rogue Hackin Slash~Human Fighter
    Timkin~Drow Elf Sorc Aarone Stone~Human Bard
    Tarnaa~Human Favored Soul Alcaden~Human Paladin
    Tipsee McStagger~Halfling Rogue Brawwn~Half-Orc Barbarian

Founder

I did, he said he was a friend and probably had a lag or some such, which I believed at the time, but made the connections once I saw it happen again. I'll say it to you as well, answer the OP question simply.
    In case the OP comes back or for anyone else reading this thread. Don't pay attention to the people getting on you for wanting to report. I don't know whether they pike themselves or know people who do but some people will defend anything no matter how bad it is. When I started playing this game someone was saying bigoted stuff in chat and I asked how to report him and got a bunch of people yelling at me for wanting to report. No one but me yelled at the guy for saying the stuff that he did (not to me). I guess it is this "look the other way" attitude that is the reason there is so much crime in the world. Its either Someone Else's Problem or you're a Narc for reporting things that are obviously WRONG.

And to people who talk about RL issues coming up - pretty "convenient" that they ALWAYS come up right after the person enters a quest...nope, not buying it.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Aside from those quests with gather objectives, I really haven't had an issue with this. It's quite common in tr groups I've run with to alternate piking a run. But that is made aware to the group.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    In case the OP comes back or for anyone else reading this thread. Don't pay attention to the people getting on you for wanting to report. I don't know whether they pike themselves or know people who do but some people will defend anything no matter how bad it is. When I started playing this game someone was saying bigoted stuff in chat and I asked how to report him and got a bunch of people yelling at me for wanting to report. No one but me yelled at the guy for saying the stuff that he did (not to me). I guess it is this "look the other way" attitude that is the reason there is so much crime in the world. Its either Someone Else's Problem or you're a Narc for reporting things that are obviously WRONG.

And to people who talk about RL issues coming up - pretty "convenient" that they ALWAYS come up right after the person enters a quest...nope, not buying it.
    Where exactly did anyone defend the pikers? The only responses I see in that regard state that being able to officially REPORT piking is a bad idea because it is 1) arbitrary/subjective 2) easily abused 3) impossible to suitably punish someone for and 4) sometimes RL stuff really does come up and no one should be punished for that. How awesome would it be to have a child with an exploded diaper mid-quest, then come back and find you are banned for piking?

Sure, some people do actually pike, and that totally is a lame thing to do, and no one defended their right to do it. But hey, speaking of defending anything: why do you think it is such a noble and defensible thing for the OP to repeatedly continue to group with a piker, then come to the forums to complain about it, and then throw a fit when people don't unanimously get riled up over the offense?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by whomhead View Post
    Where exactly did anyone defend the pikers? The only responses I see in that regard state that being able to officially REPORT piking is a bad idea because it is 1) arbitrary/subjective 2) easily abused 3) impossible to suitably punish someone for and 4) sometimes RL stuff really does come up and no one should be punished for that. How awesome would it be to have a child with an exploded diaper mid-quest, then come back and find you are banned for piking?

Sure, some people do actually pike, and that totally is a lame thing to do, and no one defended their right to do it. But hey, speaking of defending anything: why do you think it is such a noble and defensible thing for the OP to repeatedly continue to group with a piker, then come to the forums to complain about it, and then throw a fit when people don't unanimously get riled up over the offense?
    1. I see responses saying its a bad idea but not why. And:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Because one isn't doing something wrong if they aren't doing anything at all. Nobody is under any obligation to play up to your standards
    2. If you have a RL excuse, you don't have time to (and its wrong to) go into another quest and pike again...<rolleyes>

3. The OP said in a reply that the group leader gave an excuse for the piker the first time which the OP believed, then when it happened again in the next quest the OP figured out it was piking.

4. Who's "throwing a fit"? Exaggerate much?

Quote Originally Posted by whomhead View Post

now i know in Rift they do have this function that you can report pikers with someone who is not moving. all it really does is checks to see if they have the afk then it would remove them from the quest. it didnt block them or anything. Yes sometimes real stuff happens but to the party its unfair. sure you might not have planned it but it still does ruin their mood if they need to wait on you. there are some people who do that on purpose. i know a few on argo.

I've also had one person pike multiple times in our questing. i eventually got fed up with the person because of the constant afking. if you're that busy in life STOP grouping with people. you really do them no good. he did it in house of rusted blades and wasnt even near the bell. So when he left for like 20 mins. it was rather annoying.

So yes i can see them doing similar to afk and if the find it to where it says you have been marked as afk i think there is no reason it shouldnt happen. Sorry im not much one for people just sitting there making everyone else do the quest for them. if i said it was ok to pike its one thing but doing it without telling anyone is another. if something like an emergency happens take care of your real life. if its not drop group so you're not a burden to others.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    now i know in Rift they do have this function that you can report pikers with someone who is not moving. all it really does is checks to see if they have the afk then it would remove them from the quest. it didnt block them or anything.
    That's pretty smart. It does seem to meet all the criteria I laid out for what would be needed to report piking.

To HAL, you should read the OP's responses on the first page for evidence of fit-throwing. Pay particular attention to the parts where he calls people idiots and (ironically) accuses them of not having matured past the third grade just because they disagree with him.

Community Member

Turbine doesn't do anything about abusive behavior that is against the T&C, so I doubt they'd do anything about pikers which is probably not against any rules. If you have a piker you don't want, nicely inform them that their spot would be better filled by someone who contributes (don't want to breaks the rules yourself by being abusive) and simply reform around them. Problem solved.

I joined a CitW a while back. After about 10 minutes it became clear that the leader was going to pike the entire instance. He died repeatedly and went silent on voice and party chat. The rest of the group was competent enough so it didn't hamper our completion, but what happened toward the end was classic.

He rezzed himself, ready to make the run to the end portal to claim his "rewards" and I stood by the door watching everyone else go in. I have a habit of waiting until all other party members are in to make sure they can get there without a stray mob taking them down and the piker and myself were the only 2 left on this side of the portal. Well this guy took a cometfall to the back of the head with about 5 steps to go before he made it to the portal and incapped himself (he had about 15 death penalties stacked up by repeatedly dying and rezzing at the shrine for fun). Noticing his hp at -1, I had a decision to make. I could rez him and take him through the door, play the waiting game and see if he dies of natural causes or option number 3. Go grab that priestess and bring her back to his near lifeless body and speed up the process. Yeah, I went with option 3. So the end result is a piking soulstone 5 steps from the portal to the chests.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    in Rift they do have this function that you can report pikers with someone who is not moving.
    Which was great while it lasted. Sadly it was a system that gave some measure of "power" to the playerbase, which inevitably led to immense griefing.

If it hadn't been so heavily abused that the devs disabled IA vote kicking. Which, sadly is precisely what would happen here if such a system were implemented. Which is really obnoxious since pikers, though seldom, do exist.

I've never been in a group in DDO, so I can't speak to whether or not the piking situation here is bad. I'd honestly recommend just reforming and then squelching them for now until the underwhelming ignore system can be improved.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Is there any way to officially report people who pike quests? I had a problem with a person on Thelanis. I failed two quests because the party needed as much DPS as possible. Without him, we failed. I spoke to him twice, and caught him doing it two more times. I contacted his guild leader, who said he has also had this problem with the same person. What options do players have other than just not questing with that person?

Question #1: No

Question #2: Nothing really... since the GL hadn't booted them from Guild, they are allowing it to happen, so nothing going to change with that character... even then probably just jump into another guild to continue where they left off.

Depending on what Guild the piker is in... some Guilds might actually spin you as the troublemaker crying to the GL about a player doing something.

some food for thought...

Did you ever think that the piker may have been a 2-boxer???

and of course the piker is a friend of the group leader... if they are the 2-boxer, gives you the motive for the leniency on the piker and reason not to boot.

and only way to make that any better... they should be Guildmates who are in a one person Guild... which of course the GL knows about the problem with that "person".
    You know I had been using the Superior Sarcasm font exclusively but it seems in a unannounced hotfix they slipped in the Sovereign Sarcasm font... keep up the good work guys!

Real life occasionally interferes for everyone. If a person pikes a quest, I don't worry too much about it.

If I notice the same person seems to regularly have real life issues, or says he does, that cause him to pike many of the quests he joins, I'll avoid grouping with him when I can.

That's about all you can do.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Is there any way to officially report people who pike quests? I had a problem with a person on Thelanis. I failed two quests because the party needed as much DPS as possible. Without him, we failed. I spoke to him twice, and caught him doing it two more times. I contacted his guild leader, who said he has also had this problem with the same person. What options do players have other than just not questing with that person?
    Think of the problem like this. If you can't finish the quest by yourself on whatever difficulty, you have no business being in there to begin with.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Think of the problem like this. If you can't finish the quest by yourself on whatever difficulty, you have no business being in there to begin with.
    ROFLMAO! Um...no. DDO is an MMO, which means that many people enjoy grouping so they can try more difficult content than they could do by themselves. Standard expectation is that the group is there to help with the quest. Not everyone has twinked toons that can solo all the quests on Elite but throw up LFMs as a favor to others who want the completion/end chest.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    Real life occasionally interferes for everyone. If a person pikes a quest, I don't worry too much about it.

If I notice the same person seems to regularly have real life issues, or says he does, that cause him to pike many of the quests he joins, I'll avoid grouping with him when I can.

That's about all you can do.
    This is how I usually take it. If someone has to go afk every 5 seconds to deal with their kids, I ask them if they should drop group and go deal with RL. If they refuse and keep going afk they will get a boot as soon as I can and I will let them know what I think of them. May be rude, but they were just as rude to the party.

If it is a friend or guildie they can pike all day long. I know they would do the same for me.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    I hope that was sarcasm.

According to your logic, if you can't solo all content (including, I presume, epic elite quests and raids) then you have no business ever running that content?

So, when you started DDO, you were able to run all content solo on the first day? Wow, you're awesome!
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

Never really had this issue to be honest but my way of thinking is that this is a game and meant to be played for enjoyment, if people want to get XP and not play then that is up to them. I much prefer kicking the living hell out of monsters than sitting in a corner crying like a little b*** because "I don't want a repair bill".

Pikers exist it's unfortunate but nothing to do except kick them out of the group if it bothers you and move on.

Stoner81.

Community Member

I
    No no. I expected to get a simple answer. Instead I get people who think they are just so witty and cool and such good players who look down on everyone who isn't as cool and funny as them.
    You must be new here. Allow me to welcome you properly.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

My best advice for you is to farm a Cloak of Greater Resistance to Blunt Statements and Unkind Words.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Incidentally, what was contacting the offenders guild leader supposed to accomplish? Tattling to my mom never made me be nice to the tattler, it really just made them a target of priority. Granted, I've matured (a little :P) since grade school, but not everyone has...
    Talking to the guild leader actually does a lot. Since the guild leader acknowledges what their guild member is doing, and does not give them the boot, it is pretty safe to assume that I don't really want to group with the majority of people in that kind of trash guild.
    Last edited by ForumAccess; 06-04-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast