Default What is Legendary Upgrade and how does it work?

Just noticed this Legendary Upgrade for the shadowfell pre order and i would like to know what are the pre-requisites to get it. You can see it listed here: http://www.ddo.com/en/shadowfell/ just before "compare editions" tab.

Thanks for the help.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Just noticed this Legendary Upgrade for the shadowfell pre order and i would like to know what are the pre-requisites to get it. You can see it listed here: http://www.ddo.com/en/shadowfell/ just before "compare editions" tab.

Thanks for the help.
    owlbear hireling X1 level 17 and level 25

Exclusive Tan Striped Pseudo Dragon Creature Companion- cosmetic pet..

2 Pack of +3 Skill Tomes per character (again no umd)

Lesser Tome of Epic Learning per character

Wilderness Cosmetic Armor Kit- an ugly cosmetic armor.. look like medium armor

Wizard Cosmetic Hat & Matching Creature- cosmetic hat for one of your pet and your toon.. doesn't look very good on player.. as it hide all hair

5 Sovereign I XP Elixirs (per server)

p.s. my suggestion? wait a little.. if they fail to improve owlbear this pack is not worth it imo. they promise to improve but hard to tell how much.. for now the level 25 owlbear is more like level 20.. and level 17 is more like level 13

The Legendary upgrade is an additional pack you can purchase (it costs $40 if I recall correctly ?), which grants a secondary ticket to use on your characters to get additional benefits. The benefits are listed on the page, but here it is anyway :

+ Two Owlbear Defender Hireling - One level 17 and one lvl 25 (even if the page says lvl 24)
    + Wilderness Cosmetic Armor Kit - Just an armor kit.
    + Exclusive Tan Striped Pseudo Dragon Creature Companion - The only dragon pet companion available for the moment in game
    + Wizard Cosmetic Hat & Matching Creature Companion Hat - Cosmetic wizard hat for both you and a companion of your choice
    + 2 Pack of +3 Skill Tomes per character - Two special +3 skill tomes that let you choose which skill to upgrade (all but UMD available)
    + 5 Sovereign I XP Elixirs (per server)
    + Lesser Tome of Epic Learning per character - kind of like the lesser tome per character from the collector's of MotU except this one is for epic levels.

You can purchase that legendary upgrade whenever you purchase either the collector or the standard expansion. It will however be a separate code than the expansion code, and can be applied separately.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

God that **** is so awful I don't even think I could be bothered to waste the time to unzip and wait for the yellow stream to flow.

Lol that's the kind of **** you donate out to get a tax right off.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    The Legendary upgrade is turbines way of robbing you of $40 and giving you some crappy bits of data that do not work properly.
    LOL. You are surely tempting a lot of players to buy it!

(can you tell how much sarcasm was in the previous line?)

I thought it was some additional perk, since it's written in huge sized letters that it grants us 20% discount... really, an impressive effort from the marketing... but not so fair to the players.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

The red psuedo dragon is a cool cosmetic but does nothing.

If you put the pet hat on either the flying cat or the flying psuedo dragon you cannot tell it is on. Well, you can, but it is really tiny.

The Wilderness armor is a cosmetic armor that is completely pointless.

Right now, you can call the level XVII Owlbear when you are level 15. I took it through lords of dust on normal and it died near the end with the Jacinth Lions or whatever those are and those lions are fire proof. The owlbear is as dumb as a rock, in some cases a rock is actually considered better.

The +3 skill tomes do NOT stack on top of the +1 or +2 skill tome. It is like tomes int he game now. A +2 skill tome of jump and a +3 skill tome of jump does NOT EQUAL +5. It equals +3.

The cosmetic wizard hat is quite ugly. Just a brown pointy hat. No stars or anything on it. It looks like Elminster's hat from the last expansion.

You will get two codes when you buy the legendary upgrade. It is NOT intuitively obvious on how to use the codes. You don't put them into the first page of the myaccount.turbine.com. You actually have to click on the "YES I WANT TO UPGRADE TO VIP" spot.

Then you tell that upgrade that no you don't want VIp you just want to enter the code. And you have to do it TWICE. After you insert your code for the standard or collectors, you have to go ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE "Yes I want to upgrade to VIP" screen and re-enter all of the gobbledy gook.

It really looks like it was all put together half backside and not well tested. I am beginning to think the DDO staff is incentivized on seeing how many people they can get to quit the game with each expansion/patch. Warner Bros has probably taken the best programmers and put them on the Batman DC Comics game.
    Last edited by TheNameIwasntB4; 06-02-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post

Right now, you can call the level XVII Owlbear when you are level 15. I took it through lords of dust on normal and it died near the end with the Jacinth Lions or whatever those are and those lions are fire proof. The owlbear is as dumb as a rock, in some cases a rock is actually considered better.

The +3 skill tomes do NOT stack on top of the +1 or +2 skill tome. It is like tomes int he game now. A +2 skill tome of jump and a +3 skill tome of jump does NOT EQUAL +5. It equals +3.
    At least the rock can be thrown. ;-)

The skill tomes from the expansion pack are bound to char, so once again it's false advertising.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    The Legendary upgrade is turbines way of robbing you of $40 and giving you some crappy bits of data that do not work properly.
    I don't think this is a reasonable characterization.

There's no "robbing", you can choose to buy the stuff or not. Most of what I got that I've tried so far has worked fine. The last expansion was IIRC $80 for the collector's edition, and buying all the stuff with this one is only a little more than that.

The owlbear appears to have a few issues but is quite useful if used properly.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    The skill tomes from the expansion pack are bound to char, so once again it's false advertising.
    They fixed that like the first day. It says bound to character now.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

So right now, until the owlbear is fixed, the only real incentive to buying the Legendary Upgrade are the free epic learning & skill tomes? That's disappointing...we'll see if I'm still mug enough to buy it anyway.

Default I fell for it.

I purchased it and ... drumroll... its not worth it.

I bought it for the owlbear because I missed the panther, and wow it's terrible. It's buggy, fails to act, likes to die. The defenses are weak (needs constant babysitting for heals. I use a cleric hire to watch the bear while my pally kills stuff). The special attacks don't appear to work - cleave and trip animations are normal claw attacks. Intimidate actually works, but everything swarms it and it immediately dies.

My owlbear also died in Lord of Dust against those red lions. I believe they insta-death him. I thought he had innate deathblock... oh well.

The cosmetics are unimpressive. I thought the dragon would fight or at least interact, he just follows you around usually blocking my view of a ledge I want to jump too. I usually keep it unsummoned.

Skill tomes are ok. Especially if you don't have any prior +1/2 tomes. Also the learning tome is fine if you do Epics.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I don't think this is a reasonable characterization.

There's no "robbing", you can choose to buy the stuff or not. Most of what I got that I've tried so far has worked fine. The last expansion was IIRC $80 for the collector's edition, and buying all the stuff with this one is only a little more than that.

The owlbear appears to have a few issues but is quite useful if used properly.
    $40 for fluff and broken things.... a few tomes that disappear, ugly cosmetics and a broken hireling. .

You know they wont fix the bugs because they never do. Start one project sorta but never quite finish it and move on to the next. Fix bugs when they only become either game breaking or exploitable. Ergo you are paying for a hireling that Turbine knows is broken and is shilling anyways. That my friend is robbery.