Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default Owlbear hireling: can you get it to use the rest shrine?

Did Lords of Dust.

The level 15 owlbear is idiotic.

Put on Passive mode, it walks around and follows you, right through the traps.

Call it to come to you, it won't move. Stands right where it is.

Ask it to use a rest shrine, well maybe. If you move around so its fat bottom can fit in the area is what it looks like.

Needs more coding. It is bad. That is a bad implementation. The panther is way, way better.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    Put on Passive mode, it walks around and follows you, right through the traps.
    That's the way passive mode works.... (I figure it's mostly for getting through parts of quests where you don't want it to kill something but will need it later)

If you want it to stay still and not do anything you need to set it to passive AND tell it to stand it's ground.

The other things you mentioned have happened to me with the panther too (heck they happen with every hireling)

Haven't been able to make it shrine and was really difficult to make it pull a lever the one time I tried using it for that.

Community Member

My lvl17 owlbear is using levers quite well (as any other hireling), rest shrines..heh..first he is like a bit scared of that, but then he use it, bud it recover him just 10-15% of life. also he is bit a claustrophobic, dont want to go throu small doors or to the small rooms

Community Member

I've gotten the Heroic Owlbear to shrine, but have been unable to get the Epic Owlbear to shrine. That seems to be a running theme with these hirelings, the Heroic Owlbear seems to respond to commands much better than the epic version. This includes lever pulling, shrining and cleaving.

I's like to point out that it's a bit hard to tell if the Owlbears are shrining for the same reason that the Onyx Panther is hard to tell if it is shrining: there is no sitting/laying down to shrine animation. So you have to stand and watch if the bar moves after several seconds to see if they actually shrine. If a full animation is too much to ask for all three of these gold seal hirlings, can we at least get a "Zzzzzzzzzzz" balloon over the hirelings.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    I've gotten the Heroic Owlbear to shrine, but have been unable to get the Epic Owlbear to shrine. That seems to be a running theme with these hirelings, the Heroic Owlbear seems to respond to commands much better than the epic version. This includes lever pulling, shrining and cleaving.

I's like to point out that it's a bit hard to tell if the Owlbears are shrining for the same reason that the Onyx Panther is hard to tell if it is shrining: there is no sitting/laying down to shrine animation. So you have to stand and watch if the bar moves after several seconds to see if they actually shrine. If a full animation is too much to ask for all three of these gold seal hirlings, can we at least get a "Zzzzzzzzzzz" balloon over the hirelings.
    I don't use my panther all the time but I could swear that it at least sits down when its shrining just like the iron defender. But sure some other means of telling for sure would still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    Yup, the Epic level 25 Owlbear does not respond to commands well, bugs out a lot, and does not like to follow you. All of this on top of being terribly under-powered.

It's not even worth calling at this point. (unless you need a lever puller)

The good news is... Turbine announced that they will be making some improvements to the Owlbear in the next update/patch: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5013396

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    We are looking at making some improvements to the owlbear with U18.2.

P.S. - I want a more powerful epic Owlbear as much as you all!
    Dorian

Yes. Most hirelings when released are totally lobotomized from sockets to hair.

You need to bug report very detailed informations to have their behaviour corrected manually from the coders, one command per time... at least, during the process, the most gimped one get a little rebalance and becomes, sometimes, worth the bother of buying/summoning them.

But in this case, i guess they will have a priority, since owlbears come in spending real coins.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I don't use my panther all the time but I could swear that it at least sits down when its shrining just like the iron defender. But sure some other means of telling for sure would still be good.
    Yeah the owlbear just stands there, it doesn't have a 'resting' animation, so it's hard to tell if it is actually resting or not. It does 'hoot' like an owl (I'm not kidding) when it has finished resting. So if your volume is turned up you'll hear it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Yeah the owlbear just stands there, it doesn't have a 'resting' animation, so it's hard to tell if it is actually resting or not. It does 'hoot' like an owl (I'm not kidding) when it has finished resting. So if your volume is turned up you'll hear it.
    Which is an improvement on the panther, which I am pretty sure does nothing when it is done resting.

As far as I know, however, there isn't much reason to rest either. They don't have blue bars and I don't think they have any 'per rest' abilities, so resting them will only give them back a handful of hit points.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.