Community Member

Default Returning Player - Just a few Q's

Hey, so planning on subscribing in about a week or so when my net limit ticks around again - just had a few questions.

I've played the game twice before, a month or so after release and as a premium just around the release of MotU, and am looking to try out a Druid solo build. I'm aware that, according to the forums, the game is riddled with quirks (or 'bugs' :P) currently so I'm rather cautious with choosing any current Druid builds - are there any good ones? I'm a sucker for wildshape, that could change though since I might finally have access to all those fantastic non-f2p caster items, so any build with an emphasis on that would be a plus.

Have Rogue trap setting abilities been fixed? More specifically, if they do work, are they currently useful at all?

Are there any up to date or still slightly relevant levelling path guides? I know it's less of an issue if I'm not f2p but I'm still expecting that feeling of cold dread when I pass level 8 (got a Monk to 18 before giving up, so many exp penalties by that point ^_^).

Finally, I haven't chosen a server yet and was wondering if there were any favourites for new/returning players? In particular I'm after a large guild that welcomes new players (yes, yes 18 - the only tangible information I took away from that was a solid knowledge of the favour run and a nightmarish image of harbour quest maps that haunts me in my sleep.)

Thanks for reading!

Hi there,

Have Rogue trap setting abilities been fixed? More specifically, if they do work, are they currently useful at all?
    Since about the first week after trap making was released, I have never once seen a Rogue set a trap. I don't know of any Rogue that actually uses traps. And with the current state of the game being very fast paced, no party would ever stop to take the time to allow a Rogue to set a trap. You'd probably have to have some kind of Role Playing party to ever see the use of traps.

Are there any up to date or still slightly relevant levelling path guides? I know it's less of an issue if I'm not f2p but I'm still expecting that feeling of cold dread when I pass level 8 (got a Monk to 18 before giving up, so many exp penalties by that point ^_^).
    There are guides on the forums here (I forget where) that detail leveling paths (mostly when it comes to TR characters). But on a first life character, it is so easy and fast to get experience now that you should never have to run into experience penalties on your way to level 25 unless you purposely decide to farm a specific quest for quick xp. You can run each quest in the game just once on Normal (with optionals and breaking stuff) and probably get to level 20 (or very close to it). Don't worry about leveling and just enjoy the quests. You might find the xp actually coming too quickly.
    Orien Player: Semirasai, ~3~ L28 Drow Wizard :: Kaethe, ~5~ L13 Halfling Barb/Bard/Rog :: Esthera, ~2~ L26 Human Favored Soul
    Sophiae, L20 Drow Bard :: Kitarina, L20 Half-Orc Fighter :: Aadia, L20 Half-Elf Sorcerer :: Olesia, ~2~ L15 Sun Elf Cleric/Monk

Community Member

I had a feeling that would be the case with traps, I was mostly wondering for the sake of soloing as a Rogue and making that experience a bit more fun - although I suppose most of the troubles I had as f2p won't be so much of an issue if I'm subbed (Rogue STR build yay).

Quote Originally Posted by Mightyblimp View Post
    I'm rather cautious with choosing any current Druid builds - are there any good ones? I'm a sucker for wildshape, that could change though since I might finally have access to all those fantastic non-f2p caster items, so any build with an emphasis on that would be a plus.
    20 pure druid works but I would recommend 18/2 Druid/Monk for evasion, but that is a personal preference.

Difference
    Pure - SM and ISM feat (Increased attack speed), Capstone
    18/2 - Cleave and G. Cleave, evasion, Stunning Fist, 1d6 Elemental Ki strikes

I have also read about Druid casters who are basically able to become the Energizer Bunny but I am not sure how gear intensive the build is.

Yes they have been fixed but as SemiraLynn said, they are not used in groups. Secondly, the only one I know that people use are the "noise" makers. Maybe some others can comment who actually use 'em.

If you go VIP you will have no worries. If you are free/premium buying a few of the upper packs makes life easier (it is what I did, I have actually bought all but 1 of the "High" adventure packs).

As far as leveling guides, just remember you can bank levels but you shouldn't have to on a first life VIP.

Finally, I haven't chosen a server yet and was wondering if there were any favorites for new/returning players? In particular I'm after a large guild that welcomes new players (yes, yes 18 - the only tangible information I took away from that was a solid knowledge of the favour run and a nightmarish image of harbour quest maps that haunts me in my sleep.)

Thanks for reading!
    Couldn't help you on server. My suggestion is make a character on each server and check out the AH on each server. The AH should tell you how healthy each server is. The other thing you can do, if you don't want to do the Korthos Quests on each server, is make a character and check the LFM. Slightly more misleading but should give you an understanding of the server during the times you are most likely to play.

p.s. When checking the AH, check +2/+3 Tomes and Weapons. Specifically Disruption, Paralyzing, Smiting, ect... Weapons people use for leveling on a first life.

Community Member

Thanks for the responses!

One last question, how large can I expect the DDO folder to be when fully updated? Currently sitting at 6.5gb and wondering whether to wait til our net cap ticks over before finishing the download. Low net cap :P

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

One last question, how large can I expect the DDO folder to be when fully updated?
    I don't know if the client is smart enough not to download content you don't own; however as a VIP w/MotU, my DDO install is just under 9 GBs.

Community Member

One last question, how large can I expect the DDO folder to be when fully updated?
    I just downloaded the install in case I needed it for the recent launcher bug, and it's 7.58 GB, but you may have finished the download anyway by now. For others' reference then.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I don't know if the client is smart enough not to download content you don't own;
    With Guest Passes there's nothing you don't have some access to, and downloading everything also means when you buy something it's there right away. Do we really want the patcher having to authenticate your account's access to download stuff anyway?