Community Member

Default War Wizard's Commendation rewards worthless?

Out of all the gear from Evening star, I just don't understand why this set is so sub-par. If you have Green Steel items it is absolutely worthless as it doesn't stack. I really like the set bonus and think it is ideal, but the necklace and the bracers aren't worth wearing at all.

Why does every other gear set have stat bonuses and applicable skill bonuses except for this one?

I wonder if anyone wears this complete set at all? Do they ever run data mining on their gear sets? I really think that this should be re-worked to make it useful.

...and you wouldn't use an oath blade if you already had an esos, and you wouldn't want purple dragon gaunts if you already had epic claw set.

The point of all of the commendation gear is that its easy to get and not that bad, if you have nothing better, so that undergeared toons can still contribute in that content. They are walmart epics, much like the crystal cove gear, but even easier to get.

At least one could trade them in for e.g. Druid´s or Purple Dragon´s now. Better than nothing.

By the way, the epic lv. 20 gear while not too gamebreakingly superior makes it an easy start for any of my low level epics anyway until I can cough up enough EE runs to have the superior thingies...

Community Member

I really don't see your point at all or your argument. Where in my post was I comparing it to old school epics.

My comparison is from druid, villager, pdk compared to war wizards. The other sets have very great enhancements that work well with most gear sets and are considered to be highly effective and comparable to any other gear set. yes they are relatively easy to get so most take them for granted but that shouldn't diminish how great they are.

Personally, I disagree with your walmart epic comparison. If you really want to compare old school grind items, I think that the PDK set is one of the best gear sets there is. Overall the comm reward gear is awesome. You might want to reset your gear at lvl 23-25 but really you are making marginal improvements and I often find it difficult to totally re-gear. Majority of old school epics cannot even compare to most comm gear. Abishi set is nice but 5 pieces is a lot of space. Using the trinket of many facets and 2 or 3 pieces of other sets is nice so you can have 2 or 3 different set bonuses, but you often miss out on +8 and +3 insightful stats if you cannot work your other slots right.

FYI, I do have the epic claw gloves and they sit in the bank. Though the set bonus is nice for Epic claw comparing just the gloves, PDK wins hands down.

Comparing ESOS to any weapon is pretty silly. But since it is one of the most rare shards to get, most don't have it. I do but to be honest was dissapointed. I tend to do very similar damage with my elemental great axe of fire from House C challenges. I think that the challenge gear is the most overlooked gear in the game. I think that it is awesome.
    Last edited by zeichen-thest; 06-01-2013 at 06:33 AM.

I think the problem is most of the sets have +7 and +2 to a stat and the warwizard's is missing stats because they wanted them to be useful for both Wiz and Sorc so instead we get NOTHING.

The not stacking with greensteel is ok imo because alot of players dont have greensteel and these are very newb friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by zeichen-thest View Post
    I really don't see your point at all or your argument. Where in my post was I comparing it to old school epics.

Personally, I disagree with your walmart epic comparison. If you really want to compare old school grind items, I think that the PDK set is one of the best gear sets there is. Overall the comm reward gear is awesome. You might want to reset your gear at lvl 23-25 but really you are making marginal improvements and I often find it difficult to totally re-gear. Majority of old school epics cannot even compare to most comm gear. Abishi set is nice but 5 pieces is a lot of space. Using the trinket of many facets and 2 or 3 pieces of other sets is nice so you can have 2 or 3 different set bonuses, but you often miss out on +8 and +3 insightful stats if you cannot work your other slots right.

FYI, I do have the epic claw gloves and they sit in the bank. Though the set bonus is nice for Epic claw comparing just the gloves, PDK wins hands down.

"walmart epics" and "welfare epics" are just terms some folks use to assuage their own egos as thay are frustrated that they spent countless hours grinding for gear that is now mostly obsolete or hardly better than the new gear any player can earn in less than a week. Whatever it takes to get them through the day I guess.

I also agree about the challenge gear. After running Snitch about thirty times with no luck, it took me less than three hours to get enough challenge mats for the EEGAoF and I love it. The khopeshes are quite nice at L20 and also the armor. Don't like the bow though.

I have a sorc on a second account I use for dual boxing for fast ed farming on my mains. I use the war wizard set on him, but he was made with no gear hand me downs and ext because he was the first toon on that account.

I think for new players/toons they're ok, nothing fantastic, and I don't consider that toon to be well geared, but he works for what I want him to do and he would also work to start farming for other gear very easily if I ever decided to. I think that's all the gear is suppossed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    They are walmart epics, much like the crystal cove gear, but even easier to get.
    Lol walmart epics. Yes, they were made by some underpaid kobolds and convicts in wheloon. We're actually helping the evil purple dragon knights keep a prisoner's economy.

It all makes sense now! SHADOW CONSPIRACY! Not the shadows we fight! But the shadow of the PDK industrial war machine! AAHAHHHHGGGGGHH What a TWIST!

Albeit some CC gear better than some commendation gear.
    Last edited by DynaTheCat; 06-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Community Member

You want useless gear? How about Elfcraft Leather Armor from GH? The Elfcraft Breastplate is Mithral, so its Light, and it has of course the exact same mods, but better AC So its been completely obsolete since they standardized the GH gear.

Quote Originally Posted by zeichen-thest View Post
    If you have Green Steel items it is absolutely worthless as it doesn't stack.
    This is the key point here. IF you have greensteel.

I play a lot of alts and have a second account. No way do I want to waste ingredients/time crafting items for them.

The war wizard set is pretty good imo.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    You want useless gear? How about Elfcraft Leather Armor from GH? The Elfcraft Breastplate is Mithral, so its Light, and it has of course the exact same mods, but better AC So its been completely obsolete since they standardized the GH gear.
    Except for Druids. They may use the leather armor, but not a metallic breast plate.

The set could be a heck of a lot better but it still serves a good purpose. It takes very little effort to get enough commendations to gear yourself to a respectable level. You can have an entire character geared in commendation gear in a fraction of the time it takes to make a single greensteel item.

If anything they are too good. When released they trivialized a great deal of of far more difficult to obtain gear. That ship has long sailed though.

Default Better than Bard Gear

The wizard gear is a lot better than the bard gear!
    Yehediah (Dwarf Cleric), Zeddek (Human Favored Soul)
    Mezros (Drow Bard), Fieris (Drow Wizard)
    Freibo (Halfling Rogue)

The set is fine. You can skip grinding GS and get a similar bonus to green dragon armour as a set bonus.
    Its nice if you dont have Green Steel.
    - Kalevala of Khyber- Suomi Funland Perkele -