Default About the spell crit issues

B4 Update 18 , spell crit chance : 9% from the chance line in the enhancement , 12% items. 21% total.
    crit dmg bonus: +50% base, +75% from the multiplier line in the enhancement , +50% items, +175% total.

Now, based on my tests using my sorcerer(no mental feats), spell crit chance is currently 6% and dmg bonus is +100%.

It is interesting that in the enhancement the spell crit chance line says that base crit dmg bonus is +100%, but the multiplier line says it's +50% (just like b4). The dev once said that they wanted to change the base bonus to 100% from 50%.

So, here's my conjecture:

1. Only the spell crit chace line in the enhancement is working now.(both chance and base dmg bonus)

2. Base dmg bonus has changed to +100% . The multiplier line is not only broken, also displayed incorrectly on the base bonus.

3. Forget about the items .

We are losing 40% dmg than it should be, or losing 30% dmg even if the base dmg bonus is still 50%.

Imagine it melees, it's like you are waving your axes 30% slower. Isn't that annoying ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose is not to against the change (if it is) and try to keep the superiority (which I don't think casters really have). Like I said in the replies, it's not in the release note if it's a change, nor in the known issues if it's a bug. Just need to know what's going on .

Thank you for sharing your points here, and sry if I didn't make myself clear.
    Last edited by GrayRoachSandson; 06-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

I don't have any major issue with spell critical damage being reduced from holy-hell-25k crit, down to holy-hell-15k crit if there is some explanation behind it.

I don't believe that every class should be "equal" and I don't see any reason to balance classes, I've done lives where I've led the kill count by a country mile, and others where I've been miles off it, chasing the "who gets the last hit" ego stroke is something that you eventually grow out of. When you're confident that your damage is good enough, you don't take much notice of your number of kills because you know that you're contributing well to the party damage. But at the same time, the reduced critical multiplier is a nerf, no question, but it won't make casters unplayable.

What bugs me more is that lack of any comment on what has been widely reported from anyone at Turbine. Sure, the new enhancements are only in alpha (although it seems that some alpha code has crept into live) and are subject to change - but nobody from Turbine has actually came out and said "Look folks, we think that caster spell critical multiplier damage has got out of hand, and this is what we're going to do about it - it may not be popular but we are going to reduce the maximum from multiplier from 175% to 100%. The reason for doing this is to reduce the distorted amount of damage casters can do which we believe is detrimental to the variety of builds in end-game."

That would be a position that we can agree or disagree with, but it at least demonstrates that there has been thought and a process behind the change. The alternative is that they just forgot about spell critical multipliers when they came up with the alpha version of the new enhancements?
    Last edited by Deadlock; 06-01-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrayRoachSandson View Post
    Imagine it melees, it's like you are waving your axes 30% slower. Isn't that annoying ?
    I don't approve of hidden changes, but really.. you're asking for sympathy from melees, who sit there a minute flailing away at stuff that casters just wipe out in seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    I don't have any major issue with spell critical damage being reduced from holy-hell-25k crit, down to holy-hell-15k crit if there is some explanation behind it.

I don't believe that every class should be "equal" and I don't see any reason to balance classes, I've done lives where I've led the kill count by a country mile, and others where I've been miles off it, chasing the "who gets the last hit" ego stroke is something that you eventually grow out of. When you're confident that your damage is good enough, you don't take much notice of your number of kills because you know that you're contributing well to the party damage. But at the same time, the reduced critical multiplier is a nerf, no question, but it won't make casters unplayable.
    No one ever said that a single crit dmg is reduced that much , at least not me . It's the total dmg , putting the crit and non-crit dmg together, don't get it wrong plz. A single crit dmg is reduced form 2.75 times to 2times, if you notice that.

Is it nerfed or not isn't my main point. You see, if it's a nerf, they FORGOT to put it in the release note. If it's a bug, can't find it mentioned in the "known issuses" list either. It's like somebody simply ignored the issue and nobody can figure it out what's happening here. That's what I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I don't approve of hidden changes, but really.. you're asking for sympathy from melees, who sit there a minute flailing away at stuff that casters just wipe out in seconds?
    It has nothing to do with the "sympathy", just to say how much this change or bug troubled us. Someone do not play casters much may not be able to aware of that.

By the way, I've met so many melees that can make tons of dmg. There's no need to exaggerate the gap between casters and melees. Not to mention the ranged.

Community Member

Ive never seen a good melee build jealous of a caster. I don't believe in balance in the sense of everything should do the same damage. I see balance as in there are things that make all classes fun to play and equally contributing to a quest or party. Who the heck cares which build can solo EE better. Who cares who has the highest kill count. Changing or nerfing things without proper discussion is unprofessional.

I have both a pure build barb and a pure sorc and both do comparable dps over the long haul. Since I have to conserve my sp on my sorc I am less than likely to burn through all of my points in a fight. Whereas on my barb I can swing away non stop and never stop doing dmg. I do some good crits with momentum swing and lay waste. I click cleave, great cleave, supreme cleave all day long, doing crazy dmg to mobs. With the right gear and twists a pure build barb can still be survivable and I tend to die less frequently than my 600hp sorc. So I might do slightly more mega damage on my sorc with EB and dragon breath than I do with adrenaline cleave, but both are fun to play.

I do see some major nerfs in my sorc since the update and find it hard not to burn through a lot of sp nuking mobs as I did just a week ago. I just want to hear if the changes are bugs, or if it is something to get used to. If there is something that we can do to make our casters more fun to play. No I don't think that walking into a quest and killing everything in one second and never having difficulty is fun, but there is something satisfying about gathering 5-6 mobs around you and EB them into oblivion. Not a strategy I do in EE content though. I still think that making EE challenging with better AI is a better way then to make DC casting obsolete.