Community Member

Default New player questions: Investment needed, enhancements/skills/etc

Okay so i'm a complete newbie to this game. Exactly what kind of investments would i need to make to enjoy the game to the fullest? Would it be better to just sub, or is it easy to get by without buying a lot from the store? How about expansions? How many are there?

The system when it comes to skills and stuff is so confusing and i have no idea what to do. There is virtually no info provided in game on how the systems work. I have a paladin at level 1 rank 4 but no idea what to put points into.

Community Member

IME, you can get by in the game with a little initial investment, and then supplement it essentially F2P. You can play up to about L10 completely F2P until you start to run out of content. Hopefully, by then, there'll be a sale that will let you add on some additional content for mid- and endgame. I personally went with the MotU Standard Ed. bundle, which comes with a bundle of nice Heroic (L1-20) content, but only because it was on 50% sale at the time. Not even sure if they're still available in the Store...

There are a few ways to grind out some initial free TP, too, to get some content. You can earn 100 favor once on every server, that will net you a good chunk, and it takes about an hour per server. Then you earn 25 TP for every 100 favor you earn on each character. That should be enough to get you one or two of the really good packs, like Gianthold or Vale of Twilight or Sands.

You'll probably want to take advantage of the True Reincarnation system, too. Its free - you can earn it entirely in-game - and it will boost your character's power. Plus, once you've TRed once or twice, you can run missions on Hard or Elite the first time through, meaning you'll be earning favor 2-3 times as fast. At that point, things speed up a lot. You'll be earning your 100-favor rewards faster, which means you can buy more content, which opens up new favor to unlock. Every time you cycle through again, its more total favor and more free TP.

Dont spend your TP on anything that's unlockable in game or consumable, though. I wouldnt, honestly, spend a single TP on anything but content packs until I'd gotten them all. Unless you really want to play an Artificer, because they're nasty hard to unlock ingame, though its possible.

So in short, I'd say be looking to invest maybe $30-40 upfront (depending how patient you are for a good sale or content bundle offer), but you want to go Premium at some point for the unlocks (auction slots, max money, additional characters, etc.)

As for how to build your character....the Forums and DDO Wiki are going to be your main sources of information. Pretty much everything is there. Decide on a playstyle (melee, ranged, caster), a sub-playstyle (two-handed or two-weapon, repeaters or bows, divine or arcane), versatility vs specialization (ie do you care about disabling traps?), and then you can find a class build that fits your gameplay preferences. Ask if you have questions. The viability of just about every possible build has been discussed at length in the forums at some point, so you can find one that will work for you Plus, Enhancements are very easy to change in-game, and Feats are also fairly painless to occasionally change if you need to. Its only really Class levels that are more "permanent".

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Hi, welcome to DDO.

The DDO wiki is your best friend; a lot of your questions can be answered by it. E.g., here's a summary of account differences; here's the list of skills.

In terms of paladins in particular, Junts's guide is an oldie-but-goodie; Goldeneye and EllisDee's builds are still solid choices for newbies.

I've been thinking recently about how overwhelming it must be for a new player who owns no packs to try and figure out what to buy and when. Here's what I would recommend:

1) Wait for a "double bonus points" sale and get a $35 points bundle, which is 4100 points

2) After you get your 4100 points, wait for a "choose your own discount" sale, which gives you 25% off your entire cart if your total cart value (before discount) is 2500 or more:

850 Delera's Tomb
    950 Demon Sands
    950 Ruins of Gianthold
    850 Vale of Twilight
    ----
    3600 - 25% = 2700 sale price

This leaves you with 1400 points plus whatever you get from favor, which will add up especially if you grab the easy 100 TP from each server. With 8 servers that's another 800 TP.

After the above four packs, I would make the MotU expansion base package your second purchase, for $30. This may be months after you start playing; it depends how long it takes you to get to level 20. Those four packs above offer plenty of content at the different levels to get you to 20 pretty darn easily. (Note that the MotU purchase is required even if you decide to go VIP instead.)

There is a second expansion coming out this summer, but by all accounts it's pretty clearly not worth it for a new player. In fact, from what I can tell so far, it will be waaaay down the list of priority packs to get.

Hmm, my recommendation for spending money is as follows:

But the standard edition of menace of the underdark for 34.99

This also gets you the following packs

Phiarlan Carnival
    Attack on Stormreach
    The Path of Inspiration
    The Dreaming Dark

and 1000 TP.

Use the 1000 TP to buy The Ruins of Gianthold (950 TP)

Run to 100 favor on each server and to around 1000 favor on your 'home' server. This should get you enough TP to buy the shared bank (1495 TP).

------------

I think there will be more than enough content to go from level 1 - 20 with the 4 packs included with Motu standard edition, plus ruins of gianthold, and this gets you more 'high level' content than EllisDee37's path. Especially since you'd probably want epic destinies before taking your character much past level 20. The Vale of Twilight use to be THE pack to recommend to buy, but I think making sure your character has something to do once they get to lvl 20 is more important.

So you leveling path looks like:
    free content -> Attack on Stormreach -> gianthold -> free content/MoTU introduction -> path of inspiration/dreaming dark -> epic carnival -> MoTU epics -> Epic Gianthold

This also means that you have something to play while waiting for things to go on sale. I can take maybe 6 months if you want to wait for both a 'more TP for less $ sale' and a then a 'more content for less TP' sale.

The shared bank is one of the biggest 'convenience' items you can get, though it may not be as important as it used to be, as much of the new stuff is bound to character, rather than bound to account. But I think that there is still plenty of bound to account gear you'll find yourself wishing to move between characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    But the standard edition of menace of the underdark for 34.99

This also gets you the following packs

Phiarlan Carnival
    Attack on Stormreach
    The Path of Inspiration
    The Dreaming Dark

and 1000 TP.

Use the 1000 TP to buy The Ruins of Gianthold (950 TP)
    It's 34.99? I thought the standard was $50 and the base package was $30?

So you leveling path looks like:
    free content -> Attack on Stormreach -> gianthold -> free content/MoTU introduction -> path of inspiration/dreaming dark -> epic carnival -> MoTU epics -> Epic Gianthold
    Getting to 20 with no packs between attack on stormreach/gianthold and IQ sounds like a bummer to me, even on a first life, in that you're looking at several hundred thousand xp from just IQ/DD.

But yeah, if the standard package is only $35 that changes my recommendation. I like what you're thinking.

I'd put off shared bank, focusing on content first. I really like Jingwei's idea:

$35 MotU standard edition, spending the 1000 TP on Gianthold.

Now get your TP from other servers to buy Vale of Twilight.

This can all be done immediately, no need to wait for sales or promotions. This introductory path gets you plenty of content; enough to now start waiting for sales. Wait for double bonus points and then wait for a sale to get demon sands, shared bank, delera's tomb, etc...

I'm not VIP because I don't like monthly fees. Also it doesn't seem to be worth it in the long run, from what I've seen over the years. However VIP could be a good way to experience and sample more of the game sooner. Perhaps note what you like best, cancel VIP later on and buy your favorite content.

If you are going to buy adventure packs, some packs I would highly recommend are:
    Delera's Tomb (xp, loot and fun)
    Red Fens (decent named loot sets for level 7, also epic)
    Demon Sands (fun, gear, xp, 1 raid, also epic)
    Ruins of Gianthold (a lot of quests, xp, a lot of named loot, 2 raids, also epic)
    Harbinger of Madness (fun, xp, named loot)
    Vale of Twilight (xp!, cool quests, 3 raids)
    Path of Inspiration (xp mostly, some named gear)

That's just to name a few, there are many other goods ones. Also MotU is the only expansion that is out currently. There is another "expansion" coming out this summer. Here is the complete list of adventure packs via DDOwiki.

As for spending your enhancement points... the first thing I would do is decide what Prestige you want to be. Paladin Prestige Enhancements are: Defender of Siberys, Hunter of the Dead, Knight of the Chalice. Then make sure to take the required enhancements to unlock the PRE you want.

Go here and scroll to the bottom to see the Pally prestiges and requirements.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~