Default Spell power items and Maximise

Recently returned having been away for quite some time (circa 2 years). Lots of changes to the point I am relearning game mechanics again.

Just read up on Update 14 on DDO Wiki, specifically to understand how the whole spell power on equipment items works now. There's much I want to know but it will come out all confusing. I still don't seem to grasp how things stack (if at all).

I did notice I don't heal as much as 2 years ago with my divines (ranger, bard, cleric). My arcane were always mid levels and infrequently played so never paid much attention to their damage, but i do notice firewall is much less effective on my wiz with maximise and equipment items.

What specifically caught my eye in the DDO Wiki was that Maximise will not stack with equipment power bonus. Does that mean, there is no point holding an equipment items when using these feats, as they do not contribute to spell damage. Is this also true of amplification pots?

If true, you have just freed up a lot of space in my inventory. If not, your assistance in helping me understand the mechanics and interaction with mage feats is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Pehtis
    Many of life's lessons are taught through games. So GAME ON!
    Ghallanda Server - Guild: Legends of Ancient Greece
    Characters: Kleftis, Archpapas, Polemistis, Elveis, Axesizis, Eurostos, Mihanodigos, Agiosmihanos, Trayoudis, Idikos ... so many more

Quote Originally Posted by Pehtis View Post
    Recently returned having been away for quite some time (circa 2 years). Lots of changes to the point I am relearning game mechanics again.

Just read up on Update 14 on DDO Wiki, specifically to understand how the whole spell power on equipment items works now. There's much I want to know but it will come out all confusing. I still don't seem to grasp how things stack (if at all).

I did notice I don't heal as much as 2 years ago with my divines (ranger, bard, cleric). My arcane were always mid levels and infrequently played so never paid much attention to their damage, but i do notice firewall is much less effective on my wiz with maximise and equipment items.

What specifically caught my eye in the DDO Wiki was that Maximise will not stack with equipment power bonus. Does that mean, there is no point holding an equipment items when using these feats, as they do not contribute to spell damage. Is this also true of amplification pots?

If true, you have just freed up a lot of space in my inventory. If not, your assistance in helping me understand the mechanics and interaction with mage feats is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Pehtis
    Maximize and Empower stack with gear and each other and enhancements. Maximize adds 150 spell power, Empower adds 75. From gear, you can get up to 120, plus an implement bonus, a psionic bonus, an artifact bonus, and temporary alchemical bonus.

For example, if you are using a +6 combustion scepter of Fire Mastery (+18 implement, +120 equipment) on a sorcerer who has the capstone (+20 spell power), and all the fire enhancements (+100 spell power), while casting a maximized and empowered Fireball:

You have 150 (maximize) + 75 (empower) + 120 (equipment) + 18 (implement) + 20 (capstone) + 100 (Fire Enhancements) = 483 spell power. Fireball does 1d3 + 3 per level, to a max of 10d3 + 30, average of 50.

So, you would deal 50 + (483 / 100 * 50) damage = 291, on average (assuming you don't critical).

Max caster levels adjust the base damage. So, if you are a Tier 3 Fire Savant, and wearing Kyran's set from ToD, in Draconic Incarnation (and having selected the +3 to fire Max Caster Levels), you'd get +3 (Fire Savant) + 2 (ToD set) +3 (draconic) = 8 max caster levels. Then, your fireball would deal 18d3 + 54 = 90, on average (reflecting the new max caster level of 18).

Thus, your damage would be:

90 + (483 / 100 * 90) = 524.7, on average (assuming you don't critical)

So they do stack. That's a relief. Wasn't too sure after reading the Wiki. Might have misread it.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated your advice breakdown and clarity.

Cheers,

- Pehtis
    Many of life's lessons are taught through games. So GAME ON!
    Ghallanda Server - Guild: Legends of Ancient Greece
    Characters: Kleftis, Archpapas, Polemistis, Elveis, Axesizis, Eurostos, Mihanodigos, Agiosmihanos, Trayoudis, Idikos ... so many more

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pehtis View Post
    So they do stack. That's a relief. Wasn't too sure after reading the Wiki. Might have misread it.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated your advice breakdown and clarity.

Cheers,

- Pehtis
    General rule of thumb is that untyped bonuses always stack with everything, and themselves, while typed bonuses ("equipment", "artifact", etc.) only apply the largest value per type.

Another general rule of thumb is that enhancments and feats are generally untyped (or uniquely typed) bonuses and will stack with gear. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one case where gear and feats do not stack, and thats gear that actually GRANTS a feat, like Mobility.