Default Is it against the rules to sell my Guild?

I have a level 70 guild that I was thinking about selling. I don't see why Turbine would care, they aren't losing anything. Are there any guidelines for this sort of thing? Does anyone have any experience with this?

You aren't allowed to sell anything in game for real life money it's a major tos no no in just about every mmo.

Community Member

If ya don't tell DDO you're doing it, they would never know. Now they do. Smooth move.

Sell it for cash, and cut Turbine out of the food-chain, that's against the rules.
    Sell if for Turbine Points, allowing Turbine a slice of the action, and while it's not really kosher... it's a grey area they'll likely ignore and you'd probably be okay.

1. Transfer it to a 'friend' for 'free'.
    2. In a completely unrelated coincidence the same 'Friend' decides to gives you a RL cash birthday present. Nine months early.
    3. 'Friend' wins. You win. No cows get harmed.
    ͡ᵢᵥ
    ֖ ֥ You have angered many opponents, and your enemies have been alerted to the presence of your trolling.
     ͜‴

As far as I can tell, it depends on the currency you use. As others stated, real-life cash is a big no-no on anything. Turbine Points tend to be a grey area. I imagine that trading via platinum or Astral Shards is ok. In all cases though, you MUST be careful, as there really isn't a 'safe' way to transfer ownership of a guild with a payment included as well.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Community Member

If you mean for Plat, in-game items or TP point cards I believe you are within the rules.

If you get anything of monetary value such as cash then you would be directly violating the rules and I would recommend against it.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

The guild, legally, like everything in-game is the property of Turbine that we're merely licensed to use. So, legally, its like you have access to a stapler at work, and you sell that stapler to someone. Obviously you'd be fired.

What Turbine is losing, ostensibly, is the guild creation stuff that person would otherwise have to buy from them, if they werent getting a secondhand guild from you.

Not that I'm taking their side, just explaining their argument.

Well, clearly op, you're going to have to use astral shards if you want to sell your guild.

Put your guild on ASAH and have your buyer place his astral shard bid like everyone else.

You know..... so you don't get cheated off top dollar.

Although, after the sale,your buyer might receive your guild as "bound to account/character."

The main mistake you made was annoucing the sale of your guild. This usually causes guilds to depreciate in value as guild members realize they are commodities in your guild scheme.

"To be sold like sheep" I'm told. What is trust and loyalty when you have cash? Am I right?

Bravo sir! Bravo!

I'm sure you will be nominated for guild master of the year!

You simply have to buy that respect and morality with the cash you made! Job well done.
    Last edited by DynaTheCat; 05-31-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
    I have a level 70 guild that I was thinking about selling. I don't see why Turbine would care, they aren't losing anything. Are there any guidelines for this sort of thing? Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Don't expect it to stay Level 70 for long.

When people find out you're selling the guild, they'll start leaving "on bad terms" and take all their renown with them, reducing your guild level.
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhomnibus View Post
    1. Transfer it to a 'friend' for 'free'.
    2. In a completely unrelated coincidence the same 'Friend' decides to gives you a RL cash birthday present. Nine months early.
    3. 'Friend' wins. You win. No cows get harmed.
    gwahaha. lol thanks for the chuckle after a long day of seminars.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

I just hope the people in the guild don't mind.......... but yeah not a good idea to sell it for money.. could get you in trouble.

Default Avoiding the sinking ship

Assuming in game currency, the biggest issue would be the PR / moral of the guildies 'during this time of potential transition'.

However, announcing the sale TO the guildies, and giving them some artibrary preference, i.e. Officers and / or members get the first chance to bid or giving a percentage of the profit BACK into the guild in some fashion would go far to assauge them.

Or, like most businesses, say absolutely nothing and let the chips fall where they may.

I would humbly suggest the former.

Actually, I believe most real businesses say nothing to the 99%, and your top officers / renown earners would get a cut of your profit and then bail themselves a short while later, so I would actually think 'Buyer Beware' if you're not one of those top officers.
    Remember the little people, if for no other reason than to better savor the squishy sound they make as you roll over them.

Cleric, Rogue, UMD - Because Grease Clickies Have Consequences.
    There are no bad builds, only Characters with High End-Game Mule Potential.

Community Member

I am the only person in the guild, I've been keeping it at level 70 for months. I was considering selling it for TP or an expansion code. I don't see how this is any different from selling any other game item for a currency purchased from Turbine with cash. Just wondered if anyone knew any different, before I post it in the trade section of my server.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RightToRemainStupid View Post
    I am the only person in the guild, I've been keeping it at level 70 for months. I was considering selling it for TP or an expansion code. I don't see how this is any different from selling any other game item for a currency purchased from Turbine with cash. Just wondered if anyone knew any different, before I post it in the trade section of my server.
    This is what I assumed you meant - a guild that either dwindled to just your or solo and you plan to just join up with a large guild. Obviously nobody is going to sell a guild people are in.

Based on my understanding of the rules I think it's within the rules, but I would have to question whether anyone would want to buy such a guild when they can join a large guild and get all the advantages for free - as you likely will be doing. Many of us in small guilds have been working on them for years and want to keep them in tact, otherwise it makes no sense to join/create/maintain a small guild unless the people are highly active or you want to keep it small for social reasons and don't care about advancing.

Project market value: Plat only - no TP/xpac codes
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

I sold a level 76 guild (on behalf of all of members of my guild) a year or two ago. Held an auction on trade section of server forum.

Sold it for ingame plat, mneumonic pots, and useful items like devil or dragon scales. I don't see why it would be a problem to sell it for TP codes, since that clearly is not against the rules, it just wasn't common practice when we did our sale.
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak