Community Member

Default Help me understand please.

What exactly is awesomium? why is it suddenly in my program files (x86)?

Why do I have steam in my Turbine folder on my C: drive when I have never even once in my life been to the Steam site?

Why when I deleted all 3 (2 awesomium 1 steam) files from my Turbine folders did my launcher update (and re install these 3 files) and function properly without the use of the turbine workaround (yes I did indeed download everything this morning before the fubar mess with the launcher going into loop, and my understanding was I had to either delete and reinstall the game, or do the stupid workaround to play the game).

Seriously, I am not computer literate. I have been told several times to stay out of my C: drive because I screw things up just about every time I go in there.

I am just trying to understand why these files are even in my Turbine files when I have never noticed them in there before today (and yes, I have looked in there many times this year prior to tonight).
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Looks like it's used to make the launcher, probably for the news links in it.

http://awesomium.com/

Community Member

Default yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Looks like it's used to make the launcher, probably for the news links in it.

http://awesomium.com/
    I got the same info from a google search, but thanks. I know this junk was not in there when I upgraded my OS to a valid version of WIN7/64 bit when I installed from disks, but for some reason it is in there now.

I got the idea to look for it today from lurking another website's forums today.

Why in the *hel* is Steam in my program files? I have never in my LIFE been to their site, the closest I came was when I googled it to see WTC(rap) it is.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Are you saying you have
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

If so that's odd does anyone else have access to your computer? I can't test because I have steam installed to play skyrim.

Community Member

Default Not exactly.

Are you saying you have
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

If so that's odd does anyone else have access to your computer? I can't test because I have steam installed to play skyrim.
    If you go into (x86) and then into Turbine, first off the bat you will see awesomium at the top of the list, which is new, it wasn't there 5 months ago when I installed from disk. Scroll down to the "s" part and I suddenly have steam installed.

This is all in the Turbine file inside c:\Program Files (x86)/Turbine

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    If you go into (x86) and then into Turbine, first off the bat you will see awesomium at the top of the list, which is new, it wasn't there 5 months ago when I installed from disk. Scroll down to the "s" part and I suddenly have steam installed.

This is all in the Turbine file inside c:\Program Files (x86)/Turbine
    Ok here is what I think is going on based one what I hope are reasonable guesses.

I found awesomium.dll and awesomium.exe

based on what I read on the web page I linked above I think they are now required for the launcher to run. There was a patch a few updates ago that updated the launcher, it probably has to do with this.

The only steam named file I found was

steam_api.dll

The game is probably coded for both stand alone release that you and I both use from the sounds of it and the steam download version. That steam dll probably lets the steam engine work with ddo and use it's web browser ext.

Community Member

Default Ok.........

Ok here is what I think is going on based one what I hope are reasonable guesses.

I found awesomium.dll and awesomium.exe

based on what I read on the web page I linked above I think they are now required for the launcher to run. There was a patch a few updates ago that updated the launcher, it probably has to do with this.

The only steam named file I found was

steam_api.dll

The game is probably coded for both stand alone release that you and I both use from the sounds of it and the steam download version. That steam dll probably lets the steam engine work with ddo and use it's web browser ext.
    the file names you stated appear right. I do not want this **** in my operating system AT ALL. I am not attempting to be belligerent here. I am pretty anal in my computer security. I have deleted them at LEAST 20 times and then hit the launcher just to have the VERY FIRST THING that gets downloaded from the launcher be awesomium. I went so far as to tell my Kaspersky AV to Block awesomium AND Steam. it does no good, they still make it through now.

I will not launch the actual game right now, because these programs are in there, and I do not like 3rd/4th parties being given access to my machine.

Call me paranoid, but I just do not understand at all.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    the file names you stated appear right. I do not want this **** in my operating system AT ALL. I am not attempting to be belligerent here. I am pretty anal in my computer security. I have deleted them at LEAST 20 times and then hit the launcher just to have the VERY FIRST THING that gets downloaded from the launcher be awesomium. I went so far as to tell my Kaspersky AV to Block awesomium AND Steam. it does no good, they still make it through now.

I will not launch the actual game right now, because these programs are in there, and I do not like 3rd/4th parties being given access to my machine.

Call me paranoid, but I just do not understand at all.
    Awesomium is part of ddo though now from the looks of it. Think about it like this, it's now as much a part of ddo as .net and directx. There is no security breach from these files. I'm not quite sure how to explain it better.

Community Member

Awesomium is part of ddo though now from the looks of it. Think about it like this, it's now as much a part of ddo as .net and directx. There is no security breach from these files. I'm not quite sure how to explain it better.
    No, you have tried, and quite eloquently I would say to explain it to me, I thank you for it.

I just do not understand. Maybe in the morning, when I hop on here while I am sober I will have a lightbulb go off over my head (I doubt it but hey who knows!).

I just don't get why there are 3rd/4th party..........programs being given full unlimited access to my machine when the only one I have let through my (very good) firewall is DDO.

Usually I have to click allow (as administrator) on a big pop-up when a program wants to allow things such as this, and this time I did not, it just sort of snuck in there.

I don't know. No big deal I guess, I just won't log into the game until I have it figured out. Thanks though Charononus for doing everything you could to 'splain it to me in kid terms......I think.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Awesomium has been there since April.

I looked in the directory and saw it and looked it up.

It is from a company called Krona LLC, or something which is a spinoff from Google. Once I knew it was google related I was fine with it.

Actually, Turbine started using Awesomium in September 2012 for public release. But I am not sure if it was in my directory back then.

Awesomium is needed for you to use the DDO store and to use the in game browser, which is a google based browser. At least we know that the google based browser will always work, IF you can connect to it, that part is Turbine's job to make it happen.

STEAM is what it is. It has to be included for some players that use STEAM. I do not use steam. All I have is a steam_api.dll I do not have any steam directories. This is just a programmer CYA.

My registry might have a steam directory. Forummule if you are truly computer illiterate, and you are messing around in your registry, you WILL cause yourself problems.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Default For what its worth

Logged on (finally) and was standinding at the bank doing some inventory maintance stuff when I see in the Advice chat something like: "Does anyone know why I have 7 Awsomeium processes running in Task Manager?" So I Alt/Enter just to check and see if I was too. As soon as the screen shrinks I notice that my firewall is asking for permission to allow Awesomeium to run. So being curious I turn off the "remember choice" option in the firewall and click block this. Had to do this 7x and Awesomeium finally gave up asking. So I went about my bussiness, posted some things to AH, went to airship and buffed, ran a dungeon, sold junk to vendors, did daily dice roll,... normal game stuff, ....no problem. Then I tried to goto the store.....white screen, no store, tried Ctrl/D, no browser. When my GF got home I did the workaround (copy Invoker from backup folder) so she could logon. As soon as she go on I had her goto window mode and pull up Task Manager. Sure enough 7 instances of Awesomeium running. As an experiment I manually closed all the Awesomeium processes and we went and did a dungeon. Didn't notice any adverse reactions, other than not being able to use store/in-game browser. As another experiment I logged off on her machine and restarted again while watching Task Manager. Awesomeium started 2 instances at the Character selection screen then started 7 more during loading 2 of which auto stopped leaving 7 running. So, just guessing here, it appears Awesomeium is only there to access the store and in-game browser and doesn't appear to affect game play other than hogging system resources (possibly causing lag?). Just wanted to throw this out there for everyone. P.S. Sorry about the wall-o-text but forum won't accept carriage return, so only one long paragraph.
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -- George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk_6699 View Post
    So, just guessing here, it appears Awesomeium is only there to access the store and in-game browser and doesn't appear to affect game play other than hogging system resources (possibly causing lag?). (
    I was wondering about this, thanks for the legwork and for posting it. Much appreciated!
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk_6699 View Post
    So, just guessing here, it appears Awesomeium is only there to access the store and in-game browser and doesn't appear to affect game play other than hogging system resources (possibly causing lag?). Just wanted to throw this out there for everyone. P.S. Sorry about the wall-o-text but forum won't accept carriage return, so only one long paragraph.
    I don't know why they would have Awesomeium start 7 processes just to sit in the background on the off chance you want to use the store or the browser. I bet there are many players who almost NEVER use either one. So they just have these processes taking up resources. Given the extreme lag problems with the game this is counter-intuitive. At least give people the choice to turn this off in Options and it will take an extra couple of seconds for the game to start the process before you can use the Store/Browser.

And regarding the forum not accepting carriage return or Edits, it does both for me. But it is very laggy so maybe that's why it appears not to for some people.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default That is what I said in my post

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    I was wondering about this, thanks for the legwork and for posting it. Much appreciated!
    That was six hours earlier than starhawks. Just shows how people don't really read a thread, they just read the first post(maybe), skip the rest, post their stuff.

I also posted about the seven awesomium processes yesterday and how it is probably shoddy coding to call the .dll seven times and leaving it running. I am sure there is something in the .dll that closes the process so you only have to run it once.

And we wonder why there is lag in the game? Hopefully, you realize that each process is taking CPU clock time.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 05-31-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

I wouldn't worry about the Steam dll and Awesomium, other than the fact that Awesomium is consuming system resources, apparently at start up. Numerous people are getting connection time outs at log in at the moment, and spinning off Awesomium processes surely isn't making the situation better.

If you want to worry, worry about the fact that you are doubtlessly granting Turbine executable files some fairly substantial system privileges just to play the game. I always cringe when my security software warns me that the client wants to capture keystrokes and mouse clicks. Undoubtedly, needed to play the game, but that warning is there to detect and stop key loggers.

This recent patch has shown the (lack of) care Turbine puts into slapping together its product. I fully expect that at some point they will have a virus or other malware make its way into their development systems, and then get packaged into the files that every one of us has agreed to let Turbine download to our systems.

The system I use to play DDO is only used to play DDO. It has DDO, Chrome, and Excel installed. I would never even consider doing an online banking transaction from this computer.

Community Member

Default Thanks I think...

I appreciate all of you that replied. I still do not understand, I have seen a few threads about this today, and apparently missed one yesterday as well.

Cordovan's response was much less than helpful in one of the threads, his link just took me to the page where the players have to fix the game manually for them.

I did however open Task Manager and watch, and when I have my firewall excluding Awesomium, then I don't see it, but when I give it permission through firewall, I get 1 that opens right at logging in. I haven't actually been able to bring myself to select my server. I am kind of disturbed is all.

I only have a 2 core intel e7500 (I think...) and I don't know if my motherboard can handle a quad core, so basically, between that and just being downright nervous about this program, AND the fact that I have a Steam file in my Turbine file (I don't think I have ever even been to the Steam website) I will just take some time off the game, maybe log in now and then for dice/daily challenge tokens.

See what happens on next patch day I guess.

Don't know if this would help ease your worries about the steam file or not, but it may be included in your turbine folders for a simple link to steam. have steam on my computer and you can play some if not most games in offline mode. Meaning that you do not have to have steam connected to the net to run these games. I d this with most of my games, even ddo now. I checked some of my other games and looked through their files, all of them have the steam file in it. Perhaps turbine has added the file as a placeholder or something for steam. Not sure if anyone else could confirm that, my wife has her laptop with her and my daughter's computer has been updated in six or so months so her files may not reflect the new additions. I don't think its a harmful file or anything like that.
    If you have a group with only DPS in it and are shouting "LFM, need healer and tank"; you aren't Looking for More, you're Looking for Group.

DDO was recently added to Steam as a Free to play game. (Drawing in new blood to the game from what I see).

The steam files you find probably link ddo to steam or enable people to log into ddo via steam.

Steam is the main way people buy PC games atm.... nothing to freak out about.