Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Help me understand please.

What exactly is awesomium? why is it suddenly in my program files (x86)?

Why do I have steam in my Turbine folder on my C: drive when I have never even once in my life been to the Steam site?

Why when I deleted all 3 (2 awesomium 1 steam) files from my Turbine folders did my launcher update (and re install these 3 files) and function properly without the use of the turbine workaround (yes I did indeed download everything this morning before the fubar mess with the launcher going into loop, and my understanding was I had to either delete and reinstall the game, or do the stupid workaround to play the game).

Seriously, I am not computer literate. I have been told several times to stay out of my C: drive because I screw things up just about every time I go in there.

I am just trying to understand why these files are even in my Turbine files when I have never noticed them in there before today (and yes, I have looked in there many times this year prior to tonight).
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Looks like it's used to make the launcher, probably for the news links in it.

http://awesomium.com/

Community Member

Default yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Looks like it's used to make the launcher, probably for the news links in it.

http://awesomium.com/
    I got the same info from a google search, but thanks. I know this junk was not in there when I upgraded my OS to a valid version of WIN7/64 bit when I installed from disks, but for some reason it is in there now.

I got the idea to look for it today from lurking another website's forums today.

Why in the *hel* is Steam in my program files? I have never in my LIFE been to their site, the closest I came was when I googled it to see WTC(rap) it is.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Are you saying you have
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

If so that's odd does anyone else have access to your computer? I can't test because I have steam installed to play skyrim.

Community Member

Default Not exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Are you saying you have
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

If so that's odd does anyone else have access to your computer? I can't test because I have steam installed to play skyrim.
    If you go into (x86) and then into Turbine, first off the bat you will see awesomium at the top of the list, which is new, it wasn't there 5 months ago when I installed from disk. Scroll down to the "s" part and I suddenly have steam installed.

This is all in the Turbine file inside c:\Program Files (x86)/Turbine

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    If you go into (x86) and then into Turbine, first off the bat you will see awesomium at the top of the list, which is new, it wasn't there 5 months ago when I installed from disk. Scroll down to the "s" part and I suddenly have steam installed.

This is all in the Turbine file inside c:\Program Files (x86)/Turbine
    Ok here is what I think is going on based one what I hope are reasonable guesses.

I found awesomium.dll and awesomium.exe

based on what I read on the web page I linked above I think they are now required for the launcher to run. There was a patch a few updates ago that updated the launcher, it probably has to do with this.

The only steam named file I found was

steam_api.dll

The game is probably coded for both stand alone release that you and I both use from the sounds of it and the steam download version. That steam dll probably lets the steam engine work with ddo and use it's web browser ext.