Hybrid View

Default Crazy turn-in rates for augments: no change in U18?

I'm not noticing any changes to the ridiculously high collectible turn-in rates for the augments. Didn't they say these would be re-adjusted to sane levels when U18 rolled out?

Anyone notice any changes for the turn in ratios? Did any get adjusted? Did this get tabled (or forgotten)?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I'm not noticing any changes to the ridiculously high collectible turn-in rates for the augments. Didn't they say these would be re-adjusted to sane levels when U18 rolled out?

Anyone notice any changes for the turn in ratios? Did any get adjusted? Did this get tabled (or forgotten)?
    I think the rates for the random augments were always meant to be at those levels....I think the problem was they originally had them set too low, but then had to crank them up at the last minute before they went Live. They could only do that by raising universal turn-in prices, and I think now they've corrected everything else (Elixirs and what have you) back to their intended prices.

Whether or not those prices are fair is debatable (not really, they're not fair), but I think its what the devs wanted them pegged at. So on goes the hunt for Executioner Beetles and hoping for a Deathblock topaz :P At least you can pull Drowshoods while you're at it.

Community Member

the turn ins for the random augment stuff is absurd, gamble months of collecting for a randomized augment. whats it good for? taking up an inv slot. no thx.
    at least they fixed the turn in rates for the other stuff.

i would rate it a 1/2 to 3/4 finished, so in turbine terms its done. the developers are probably reworking barkskin pots by now.

The costs for collectible trade ins are extremely high. I have a couple issues with this.

1. Most augments for level 1/4/8 are things you can live without. Putting enough effort into gearing a sub level 12 toon isn't something that is considered necessary by many players who actually have the collectibles to do more than a couple barters.

2. For the augments that are unique or possibly useful at later levels when gearing becomes more important, you are more likely to pull it in random loot than you are to get it through a random barter. You might be able to do one swap every couple lives if you pick up every collectible along the way. You'll probably pull a couple "rare" augments in that same time (deathblock, heavy fort, etc.)

3. Starting at level 12, augments are significantly easier to acquire through bartering and this is also the point where you start to get gear you are more inclined to augment from Gianthold and older updated items. I don't care so much about a +2 stat in my level 4 item (certainly not enough to "spin the wheel" for a shot at it), but +4 stat for a reasonable price in relics goes a long way for my mid game gearing needs.

I guess my point is, most lowbie augments are just not worth it. It's easier to just live without it than spend an insane amount of collectibles for a shot at it. I'm not going to spend AS or collectibles on the "common" augments that I'm outleveling in a day or two. I have bought some of the rares for AS as they fit my endgame gear setups and were worth the cost. I really hope nobody is spending TP on AS bundles just so they can buy a +1 stat augment at level 1. Hit the AH to get the lowbie augments and skip the AS and collectible gouging. The only argument for using the collectible random barter is that you might get one of the rare augments, but your odds are pretty slim and certainly not worth the cost in collectibles unless you have been collecting for years.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 05-30-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Founder

"Originally Posted by Cordovan
    As of today's update (Update 17.1), Collector NPCs now function with a Barter Shop interface. We think this increases their accessibility and ease-of-use, compared to the "old" conversation-based interface. We also saw this as an opportunity to give players the ability to purchase low-level augments.

The intention was to increase the price of Augments to properly manage their supply in-game, but due to a technical constraint, all collectible turn-ins had their price increased. For upcoming releases we will be adjusting prices based on the barter value or availability of items, among other factors.

We hope to bring new and more interesting items to offer as well. What would you like to see Collectors offer? We'd love to get your feedback. Thanks!"

http://ddowiki.com/page/Collectable

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Gianthold Vendors

I was in GH last night looking at augments from the level 12, 16, 20, and 24 augment vendors and they seemed to be the same amounts for the trade-ins.

Here is the collectable list from DDO wiki if someone wants to see if the amounts have changed for the other vendors around Ebberon:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Collectable

I may check tonight in House J to see if this fella's trade-in amounts have changed:

Talisman Collector : Verisgante

Random ML 8 Sapphire (30 Amulet of the Lost Empire, 10 mulet of the Six, 5 Amulet of the Archbishop)
    ML 8 Sapphire Augments (Blue, Green or Purple Slot; 12 Astral Shards each)
    - Sapphire of Natural Armor +3
    - Sapphire of Protection +3
    - Sapphire of Resistance +3
    - Sapphire of Physical Resistance +6
    - Sapphire of False Life +15
    - Sapphire of Heavy Fortification

I'm geeked on the Sapphire of Heavy Fortification and I can't get one in GH.
    Last edited by Livmo; 05-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Community Member

[QUOTE=redspecter23;5012757]1. Most augments for level 1/4/8 are things you can live without. Putting enough effort into gearing a sub level 12 toon isn't something that is considered necessary by many players who actually have the collectibles to do more than a couple barters.
    [QUOTE]

Not only that, but remember that an Augment slot adds +2 to the enchantment level - so it adds 4 to the ML on an item, and there are very few named and slotted items under L12 that are worth using over a lootgen or crafted alternative. Below L12, that's going to make a HUGE difference in the efficacy of the mods on the item itself. There's an active DISincentive to using the augment system at lower levels...every possible augment is going to fall into one of two categories:

1) The augment is not worth using over an unslotted alternative with better innate mods (ie, Devotion 42 over Devotion 30, or Holy over 1d3 elemental damage)
    2) The augment is too valuable to slot into an item that you wont be able to use at mid- and endgame (ie, slotting Heavy Fort into a piece of loot at L8)

Its not till midgame (L12 to 16 or so) that you begin to "cap out" on the enchantment level (ie, hit +5 with a good prefix/suffix on a weapon) and can afford to start spending enchantment levels on augment slots. But by then you're not collecting the right collectables for the desirable low-level augments, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Not only that, but remember that an Augment slot adds +2 to the enchantment level - so it adds 4 to the ML on an item, and there are very few named and slotted items under L12 that are worth using over a lootgen or crafted alternative. Below L12, that's going to make a HUGE difference in the efficacy of the mods on the item itself. There's an active DISincentive to using the augment system at lower levels...every possible augment is going to fall into one of two categories:

1) The augment is not worth using over an unslotted alternative with better innate mods (ie, Devotion 42 over Devotion 30, or Holy over 1d3 elemental damage)
    2) The augment is too valuable to slot into an item that you wont be able to use at mid- and endgame (ie, slotting Heavy Fort into a piece of loot at L8)

Its not till midgame (L12 to 16 or so) that you begin to "cap out" on the enchantment level (ie, hit +5 with a good prefix/suffix on a weapon) and can afford to start spending enchantment levels on augment slots. But by then you're not collecting the right collectables for the desirable low-level augments, anyway...
    Yeah, I'm completely baffled as to why a red augment on lootgen is +4 levels. Even at level 25 it would be better if those +4 levels were put toward holy as a prefix instead. 1 damage at level 1 is a joke for the level cost. The damage augments at low levels don't take into account the fact that the weapon itself "pays" for the augment by being a higher min level. The augments could have been a static 1d6 for heroic (1/4/8/12/16) and 2d6 for epic (20/24/28). Tiering the augments works for spellpower somewhat but it breaks down for the damage bonuses. For these reasons, red/purple/orange slots on named gear is significantly more useful as it doesn't really add the +4 levels per slot. It's all just factored into one single cost.

When I pull a lootgen weapon with a red slot, I'm almost always disappointed as I know that 99.9% of the time, the weapon would have been better without the slot at all and having +4 levels worth of additional lootgen mods. Creating a situation where getting an item with an augment is so often a bad thing means that the system is broken at least in this particular area.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen