Question Just Curious What others may think

My very first character in DDO was a wizard and I spent a lot of time figuring out the class and how i wished to play it. I waited a very long time to TR him and am doing so again taking my time as to whether to TR again into a wizard to complete my 3rd wiz life before starting on the sorc lives. My plan at the moment for him is 3 wizard lives and then 3 sorc lives only to tr back to wizard and keep him there but it was suggested to me to do the sorc lives on my next TRing so it would be a 2 wiz > 3 sorc > 2 wiz sort to have a total of 3 lives in both arcane classes.
    Don't be fooled life is a game and there is no cheat codes or glitches just really mad devs getting even with us all

Quote Originally Posted by AmiSouthpaw View Post
    My very first character in DDO was a wizard and I spent a lot of time figuring out the class and how i wished to play it. I waited a very long time to TR him and am doing so again taking my time as to whether to TR again into a wizard to complete my 3rd wiz life before starting on the sorc lives. My plan at the moment for him is 3 wizard lives and then 3 sorc lives only to tr back to wizard and keep him there but it was suggested to me to do the sorc lives on my next TRing so it would be a 2 wiz > 3 sorc > 2 wiz sort to have a total of 3 lives in both arcane classes.
    If you enjoy TR'ing, then TR away! I enjoy it, but others consider it a detestable grind and they hate it.

If you like TR'ing, then do so. If you don't, you can make a viable epic caster without all the past lives.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    If you enjoy TR'ing, then TR away! I enjoy it, but others consider it a detestable grind and they hate it.

If you like TR'ing, then do so. If you don't, you can make a viable epic caster without all the past lives.
    I do not mind to TR if i have a decent group i just do not like to solo besides I am still searching for a decent list of quests that are worth the TR grind of e>h>n
    Don't be fooled life is a game and there is no cheat codes or glitches just really mad devs getting even with us all

I'm not sure if you are asking whether or not to TR or whether to go through all 3 wiz lives before doing sorc.I personally did 3 wiz lives in a row because I really enjoy playing a wizard and was reluctant to switch.

It doesn't really matter what order you do your past lives in, especially if you're just doing sorc and wiz.However, if you decided you wanted to do more with your wizard before going into your final life, like doing fvs past lives, I'd suggest sorc before fvs because of the added evocation dcs.

Basically when doing past lives, it's best to plan the order of progression based on how your gained past life feats will best benefit your next life IMO.
    Pay no attention to my join date, my actual join date is September 2009.

@Cryptic.Assassin I had not thought of doing a fvs lives with him to be honest but guess that would make a bit of sense if for the bonus sp and the spell pen from the fvs lives. I like the wiz life that is why I plan on keeping him wizard after the 3 lives of the odd classes that I am planning. Guess what I am asking is the feedback of waiting to do the last of the wizard lives till after the odd ones are done

Community Member

@Cryptic.Assassin I had not thought of doing a fvs lives with him to be honest but guess that would make a bit of sense if for the bonus sp and the spell pen from the fvs lives. I like the wiz life that is why I plan on keeping him wizard after the 3 lives of the odd classes that I am planning. Guess what I am asking is the feedback of waiting to do the last of the wizard lives till after the odd ones are done
    If you plan on doing a couple sorcs (x3) and possibly even fvs (x?), you could keep one wizard life which you know you enjoy to break the cycle of a painful life at one point. Just a suggestion. Not like 2 more spell pen would make a huge difference at that point.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

If you haven't yet maxed out ED on your caster than consider grabbing even just a little ED XP on each life. All those first time bonuses on each life really make the ED levelling easier.

Community Member MarcusCleardawn's Avatar

Some small questions that might lead to insight:

1. How much more do you think you have to learn about the spells and what effects work on what mobs?
    2. As you neared your decision to TR what, if anything, frustrated you about the character you were then playing?
    3. What specialization were you thinking about using this time around?

For me, I did wizard life first, so I could hot swap spells and learn what they did and what they worked on. I ended up being a DC based caster, and towards the end I just wanted to try something different, so I TR'ed into a dps Sorc.

My advice is usually to TR back into a wizard for a few reasons:

1. It's likely that you might find a new combination of spells you might want to try out as you level up the second time.
    2. The enhancement pass is coming which is going to make things rather "interesting"
    3. When you TR from a Sorc back into a wizard, you'll miss the Fast Casting.

Good luck with it.

Community Member

My advice is if your final life is going to be a wizard, then bang out 3 wizard live, and then roll any other classes you want the PL feats from before you roll your 3rd wizard life. That will prevent you from running wizard 4 times, then rolling xx number of whatever classes you want the PL feats from, only to have to run wizard a 5th time for no bonuses/PL feats.

Basically just saves you from having to run a life and get no net benefit at the end of the final TR.
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 05-30-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Guess what I am asking is the feedback of waiting to do the last of the wizard lives till after the odd ones are done
    IMO it does not make any difference. On your final life you will still be sitting on 3 wizard and 3 sorcerer past lives. How you got there really doesn't matter a whole lot.

Yes, each past life can influence the playability of the current life. But, unless you are planning to spend days or weeks doing epic content with that current life, it really does not make any difference to the final life.

IMO if you are after past lives just to have a final life build that you plan to sit on for the remainder of your DDO time then you are better off just grinding out L20 as fast and painlessly as you can. Whatever enables you to do that the easiest is what you ought to do.

Once you have the past lives you want then settle down into the final life character.

BTW, I agree with the favored soul suggestion. Regardless of the order you take them in having 3 each of wizard, sorcerer and favored soul seems a good thing.

Community Member

I'd highly recommend finishing the ED grind before the xpac comes out. We could end up pleasantly surprised and have good quests to grind at level 28...but I doubt it. Rusted Blades and Impossible Demands trumps anything else right now and would have pretty hefty penalties xp capped at 27 holding 28. Much better to get it done now.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

well the sorcs may have fast casting that is true but not really a issue for me to be honest, I do have a first life sorc that I rarely ever play, as to the spells I have a decent enough understanding of the spells unless they add more spells to the line ups. To the part of frustration over the character not really a frustration other than having to quaff sp pots at difficult parts due mainly to the buffs that are tossed for those that asked for them only for them to run from me, this has caused me to be a hateful arcane to the point that if you want buffs you come to me and I use mass buffs or if not near me when I buff others you do not get them sorta player yea sounds childish but beats getting fussed at for not casting the needed spells and having to run and hide in fights on the ways to the shrine lol as to the original idea of the post was to get suggestions to what I had planned for the wizard and that is to gain the past lives yes they seem trivial for the spell pen in the long run and there is a debate on whether it is worth it for the spells, which i think it does to be honest, not to mention the sp boosts that sorc and fvs give now for the 4th life of wizard yes it is true that it will give no benefits but it would be a character that would not TR after that 4th life of that class so once the level is maxed the TR would not be a point. at the moment its just a idea of a plan but i do appreciate the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    That will prevent you from running wizard 3 times, then rolling xx number of whatever classes you want the PL feats from, only to have to run wizard a 4th time for no bonuses/PL feats.
    If you want to have three PL Wizard feats and want to finish on Wizard you have to do it 4 times. Your logic here if flawed.

To the OP, Sorc pl gives you some extra sp and evoc dc and the wizzie spell pen. Personally I would do the three wizard lives first and make the sorc lives easier with some better insta kills. However some might argue that doing the same tr three times in a row can get a little boring.
    aLiclan - Thelanis - Crony - Gimptalot - Shaista - Sonofhunta

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hunta-EU View Post
    If you want to have three PL Wizard feats and want to finish on Wizard you have to do it 4 times. Your logic here if flawed.

To the OP, Sorc pl gives you some extra sp and evoc dc and the wizzie spell pen. Personally I would do the three wizard lives first and make the sorc lives easier with some better insta kills. However some might argue that doing the same tr three times in a row can get a little boring.
    Bahh...... yeah....will fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member

I think the suggestion for WW>SSS>WW is based on the presumption that your bread-and-butter is direct-damage skills (Delayed Blast Fireball, Polar Ray, Meteor Swarm, etc.) which are all Evocation spells...so having the Sorc PLs first would boost your damage in your subsequent Wiz lives. Plus the extra SP never hurts.

If you dont like going direct-damage, and prefer CC or instakills as your arcane arsenal, then the Wiz lives will serve your Sorcs better for the increased spell pen, and you should go WWW>SSS>W