Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Default The rant I was going to start in a separate thread.

Part 1: Background Info (skip to part 2 if you want my list of mostly small ways to improve DDO).

Hello, while I am new to the forums, I am not new to DDO, although I am what you might call a casual player. I have purchased some P2P content but am not a monthly subscriber.

I have never posted (at least not in memory) on the forums because I usually find my opinion or build idea expressed somewhere in the forums. In fact, most of the following are not completely my original thoughts. If you are a regular on the forums I doubt a whole lot of it will be new to you. I am doing this because I believe that the more posts there are discussing what players want to see, the more likely it is that the development team will take serious notice. Think of it like a political letter campaign to a representative.

The underlining principle here is to mitigate the munchkiness of DDO (that means power gaming) and to enhance the awesome fantasy world that is Eberron.

Two things have happened recently that have made me want to post. Number 1: Creature companions; and number 2: the daily lottery thing that was recently added. While neither of these things necessarily detract from the gaming experience, I do wonder why they have received priority over everything on the following list! They do very little to enhance the game (in my humble opinion, I'm sure there are those that disagree) and are quite gimmicky. Especially when a number of the following issues can probably be dealt with via patches rather than full updates or expansions.

The following is a list of 'issues' I have with DDO. That being said, I really enjoy this game and I believe that overall Turbine has done an excellent job with D&D. A game I have been playing in one form or another since I was 4 years old (seriously). While that does not make me an expert on DDO, the point is to enforce my love of what they are attempting to do. This is meant as constructive criticism.

Part 2: List of (mostly) small ways to improve DDO -

Please keep in mind that some of the following assumes knowledge of the Eberron Campaign World, which DDO is based on.

Issue 1: Weapons and Armor

Problem #1) DDO needs to deal with the problem of weapon variety, i.e. Khopesh, blah blah blah, Khopesh. We need weapon balance, if for nothing else, because I get tired of looking at toon after toon using the exact same gear. I also get tired of being forced to build a character within the parameters of limited weapon choice unless my build is just for flavor. Can I get an amen?

Proposed solution: Nerf critical damage. Critical damage should only be x2 or eliminated all together. Instead have the following weapons stats: damage range, weapon speed, weapon reach. In other words, daggers and fists should be the fasted possible weapons with the shortest reach. While great swords should bring the pain, but be significantly slower and have splash damage.

Problem #2) Weapons that should be better. How many times have you come across a post discussing the desire to use bastard swords 2-handed? Exactly. This should be addressed and while we are at it, what about extended hilt longswords for 2-handed use? Whirling Steel strike anyone? How come morningstars are not both piercing and bludgeoning weapons as they should be? Wait wouldn't that make them uber weapons? Maybe, but I doubt more uber than the khopesh and at least we may see someone actually using them. By the way, I do not believe that quarterstaffs should be allowed for 2-weapon fighting. They should just have the increased attack speed. A double spear or double club however. . . hmm

Problem #3) Weapon variety. Here is a list of what many of us want to see: spears, double swords, double axes, double spears, sais, pole arms of all types, whips (this would expand the possibility of martial type classes taking on a more CC kind of role), scythe (which the model clearly already exists for). For example: The advantage of double axes and double swords would be slightly higher off hand attack speed or something like that.

Actually forget all that and just give us the following: Valenar double scimitar, Talenta tangat, Talenta boomerang, Talenta sharrash, and the Xen'drik boomerang. Remember that thing about some Eberron Campaign Setting?

Issue 2: Skills

Problem #1) Isn't it about time turbine figured out a way to implement the climb skill? Age of Conan did it and DDO could clearly do a better job. Actually forget that, really fix the ladder bugs first.

Problem #2) Tumble and jump should be the same skill. Acrobatics or something. Look at how they are used in the game by players. Having them as separate skills is a trap for noobs. Not cool.

Problem #3) See #2. Ditto for search and spot. Keep them separate if you allow spot to have some clear effect on ranged combat. Otherwise, I feel angry every time I have to put points in one and not the other.

Problem #4) See #2 and 3. Ditto for hide and move silently. A single stealth skill just makes more sense.

Issue 3: Ship Buffs

Seriously, they are too much. Nerf them to some degree. They are so powerful as to make anyone that doesn't have them gimp compared to those that do. Its completely unbalancing and creates an even further rift between new players and experienced players.

Possible Solution: I know that a number of players would probably be outraged if 30 pt resistances were eliminated, so here is my solution - limit buffs to a max of 5 per person. Or limit the number of ship buffs a character can have based on level. Not only would this temper the unbalancing factor, but it would create a new level of strategic preparation for different quests.

Issue 4: Hard and Elite Streaks

My opinion is that this was one of the worst ideas Turbine has had. Get rid of them. Sorry, feel free to disagree but I do believe it adds a level of the bizarre elitism (pun intended) that exists in the MMO world. The fact that some people won't join a group because it will break the streak is silly. And yes, I have been guilty of this before and have to make a conscious effort to join a quest that will break the streak. That being said, I don't think having hard and elite streaks as an event is a bad idea. Event prizes could go to the top streakers (I crack myself up).

Issue 5: Lame Quests I am Disappointed in Buying

Problem: Sorrowdusk Isle anyone? This example is a fairly low xp and poorly designed quest chain that requires excessive running back and forth. Can I get a refund until its improved? Seriously, this kind of thing makes me very nervous about buying any content. I shouldn't have to ask other players what is worth it. All your content should be worth it. If it isn't address it before design new quests!!!! That is just good business.

Solution: Have a forum discussion about which quests are the lamest and why they are lame. Address the player comments in an upcoming update. This is actually more important than producing new content.

Issue 6: Feats and Enhancements

I'm not exactly sure what's happening with the new enhancement system, but based on what little I've seen it will probably fall short of addressing the following problems.

Problem 1: The weird similarities and overlaps between feats and enhancements. This is incredibly confusing to new players and requires continuous research by experienced players. Much of which is unnecessary. Feats worked alright for pen and paper, enhancements make much more sense on a computer game.

Solution 1: Get rid of redundancies. Many feats are considered to be taboo unless they have to be taken for a requirement. Some of these are mirrored in enhancements. Get rid of these feats and/or make them enhancements. Most skill focus feats I feel are an example, maybe with the exception of UMD.

Solution 2: Get rid of all feats that are not class feats. This helps by allowing players to quickly and clearly see all feats that they have received automatically and everything they have specifically chosen. Fighter bonus feats and monk bonus feats can either be re-designed similar to rogue abilities (no reason why they can't overlap with enhancements and stack) or give monk and fighters 2 bonus enhancement points at those levels that can only be used for certain enhancements. In other words use the same class system currently for feats but for enhancements.

Problem 2 and Solution: Prestige enhancements requiring 6 levels of a specific class instead of requiring certain class feats and enhancements to acquire. In other words, Pale Master I should require the ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells (not level 6 wizard), Spell Focus Necromancy (which should be an enhancement), Intelligence I (sorry if this is not quite right, I didn't double check), and a specific number of enhancement points spent. If you can qualify without taking 6 levels of wizard what does it matter? Each character should only be allowed to take 3 prestige enhancements, they can take the first, second, and third tier, or 2 tiers and one other tier one prestige, or three tier one prestige enhancements. This does a number of things, not to mention removes pressure from the developers to create an equal amount of prestige enhancements for each class or even 3 tiers in each line. Four levels of fighter should get me what I need to qualify for Kensai I at 6th level as long as I meet the BAB requirement. Just saying.

Problem 3 and Solution: Sub-races. This is sort of done for elves. Races that have multiple sub-races in the Eberron setting should have the option to choose a sub-race at character creation. Specific enhancement lines is really all you need to make this work. Again this is about creating the feel of Eberron which is just as important to the game as game play.

Problem 4: Where are my warforged attachments for fleshies? Common, where are they?

Issue 7: Familiars and Animal Companions

The worst part about playing a wizard, sorcerer, or ranger these days is seeing druids and artificers get the love I don't. Fix this ASAP.

Issue 8: Races

Problem 1: Where are the changelings? I know there are a number of issues with a shape shifting race in a video game, but then again we have druids as a class. Of course they also would have great potential synergy with druids via creative enhancements.

Proposed racial abilities/feats:
    No ability adjustments
    Slippery Mind - +2 to save vs. sleep and charm effects
    Innate Deception - +2 to bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, and haggle
    Increased Spell Level - this is for any shape changing spell (also, we need shapechange and other spells for arcane casters).
    Minor Change Shape - clearly this is the reason why this race has not been and will not be implemented. Here is a starting point. At first level a changeling can take the form of 2 other player character races. When in this form they bypass racial restrictions to items. Every so many levels they get a new race (except maybe warforged).

Problem 2: Gnomes. Seriously, how much more do customers have to complain about the lack of gnomes?

Problem 3: No Kalashtar? Why? You don't need to have psionics to have mindflayers and other monsters, why not Kalashtar? Just replace mindlink with a similar ability and have 'psionics' represented through enhancements.

Problem 4: No Shifters? Again why? Seems it would have been easier to incorporate than druids and probably even easier now that druids are here. I want to play partial lycanthropes!!!!

Problem 5: Where are the goblins? Am I missing something about Stormreach? The campaign setting describes goblins in detail. In fact, they make realistic character races. Goblin artificers? Anyone?

Also: These are more important than say tiefling or aasimar characters. These are the races that belong in this setting. If you want another race, this is where you go. Otherwise we end up with just a hodgepodge of D&D stuff that makes little aesthetic sense.

Issue 9: Please Hit the Breaks on Forgotten Realms for Now!

I love the Realms, but for heaven's sake I play DDO because of how cool Eberron is. If you are going explore this line at least have the decency to let me journey to Athas (Dark Sun setting) or Sigil (Planescape). The main reason I say this is because there is still a lot missing from DDO Stormreach and that is the feel of Eberron. Maybe allowing players to pick a region they are from, opening up a regional enhancement line for instance, would be useful and fun.
    Last edited by Doc_Hammer1980; 05-29-2013 at 09:48 PM.

.) Screw the Epic Normal/Hard/Elite = different item mechanic ... change it so that you can upgrade EN items to EH and EH to EE ... with commendations or something similar

.) Change the Raid Endrewards to:
    ..) 20th completion = list of half of the possible drops (for epic raids that drop shards this would mean 50% of the possible shard drops
    ..) 30th completion = complete list or some token that you can trade in at an npc for the shard/item of your choice

.) Same goes for quest endrewards, but 20/40 completions (because you don't have to wait 3 days between tries)

.) Slow down the powercreep:
    ..) New items should be more versatile ... not more powerful ... (at least for a little while ... atm the power creep is much too fast IMO)

.) Revamp the old epic items:
    I mean honestly, who cares about +6 stat items I have to grind seal + shard + scroll for, when I can just slot a +7 in a colorless slot??? ... Ofc new stuff needs to be attractive, so that players want to grind out the new stuff, but when every update means the old items are more or less useless, that means that only those few new quests are farmed o death, with absolutely no variation ... let the "older" content still be at least somewhat nice, so that there is actually a point in running them, besides xp ... for the marketting team: this will also increase sales of already existing adventure packs

.) Create another, even vaster underdark wilderness area ... but this time with desireable loot drops from rares

.) Fix the new forums so that I don't have to login again every 5 minutes ... meh that one really gets on my nerves >:[
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Time Bandit
    2015 DDO Players Council

1) Extend normal multi-classing beyond level 20 -- probably including some restrictions for balance purposes, as well as requiring that each Heroic Class level taken reduces your ED points pool by 4

2) Start an internal project to convert most of the rules to a D&D Next basis ; especially combat and AC ; whilst keeping most of the the DDO rules specifics -- long-term project, this is MASSIVE

3) Make a strategic decision -- stop trying to cater for every single possible gamestyle, as it just divides the player base, and concentrate on developing ways of positively encouraging people to play together, especially veterans with complete noobs and soloists with PUGgers -- see 2)

4) Continue developing lower-level Faerûn content, right down to level 1 -- yes, this contradicts 3) somewhat, but I'd bite that bullet -- also more Eberron content, as well as more Epicked existing content

5) Spears, both 1H and 2H -- ridiculous that they're STILL not in the game !!! (also some weird 1st edition pole-arms, just for fun, using the same basic animations)

6) Kobold playable race

7) Unicorns !!!

8) Also ponies, and other mounts -- this would require a new type of playable content, and possibly some revision of some existing wilderness areas

9) Enough with the Challenges !!! As far as I can see, they're the least popular content in the game ...

10) Rewrite the MyDDO contents from scratch -- START with developing the means NOT to list one's deleted characters !!!! Build up from there, slowly, and carefully -- one element at a time, and do NOT develop the next MyDDO element til the previous one is working and ready, and not creating bugs elsewhere

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natashaelle View Post
    6) Kobold playable race
    Only if they include Dragon Disciple as a pre. Forgivable Forgotten Realmsish content.

I once made a 4 bard/ 8 dragon disciple/ 8 pale master (both included modifications to body parts) in the first NWN game. Dual wielded bastard swords. He was a awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Hammer1980 View Post
    Issue 1: Weapons and Armor

Problem #1) DDO needs to deal with the problem of weapon variety, i.e. Khopesh, blah blah blah, Khopesh. We need weapon balance, if for nothing else, because I get tired of looking at toon after toon using the exact same gear. I also get tired of being forced to build a character within the parameters of limited weapon choice unless my build is just for flavor. Can I get an amen?

Proposed solution: Nerf critical damage. Critical damage should only be x2 or eliminated all together. Instead have the following weapons stats: damage range, weapon speed, weapon reach. In other words, daggers and fists should be the fasted possible weapons with the shortest reach. While great swords should bring the pain, but be significantly slower and have splash damage.
    People would just do the math, figure out what was top, and you'd still only see a few weapons commonly.

Problem #3) Weapon variety. Here is a list of what many of us want to see: spears, double swords, double axes, double spears, sais, pole arms of all types, whips (this would expand the possibility of martial type classes taking on a more CC kind of role), scythe (which the model clearly already exists for). For example: The advantage of double axes and double swords would be slightly higher off hand attack speed or something like that.

Actually forget all that and just give us the following: Valenar double scimitar, Talenta tangat, Talenta boomerang, Talenta sharrash, and the Xen'drik boomerang. Remember that thing about some Eberron Campaign Setting?
    Because of the above most these would end up being flavor weapons, or existing weapons would become flavor weapons. I would hate to see flavor put above content in terms of dev time.
    Problem #1) Isn't it about time turbine figured out a way to implement the climb skill? Age of Conan did it and DDO could clearly do a better job. Actually forget that, really fix the ladder bugs first.
    would break the quests much the same as the fly spell
    Problem #2) Tumble and jump should be the same skill. Acrobatics or something. Look at how they are used in the game by players. Having them as separate skills is a trap for noobs. Not cool.
    still a noob trap, unless you're a caster and need a few points, jump is caped at 40, the jump spell is 30, so worst case 6 str 6 item you need 9 pts of jump.
    Problem #3) See #2. Ditto for search and spot. Keep them separate if you allow spot to have some clear effect on ranged combat. Otherwise, I feel angry every time I have to put points in one and not the other.
    dump spot it's unneeded.
    Problem #4) See #2 and 3. Ditto for hide and move silently. A single stealth skill just makes more sense.
    I believe this is from 3.5e, I would say no to moving away from the rule books in anyway that's unnessecary.
    Seriously, they are too much. Nerf them to some degree. They are so powerful as to make anyone that doesn't have them gimp compared to those that do. Its completely unbalancing and creates an even further rift between new players and experienced players.

Possible Solution: I know that a number of players would probably be outraged if 30 pt resistances were eliminated, so here is my solution - limit buffs to a max of 5 per person. Or limit the number of ship buffs a character can have based on level. Not only would this temper the unbalancing factor, but it would create a new level of strategic preparation for different quests.
    meh maybe, but honestly when I'm feeling lazy, I don't get them if I'm just grinding some quick xp. Good players don't need them and aren't gimped without them.

My opinion is that this was one of the worst ideas Turbine has had. Get rid of them. Sorry, feel free to disagree but I do believe it adds a level of the bizarre elitism (pun intended) that exists in the MMO world. The fact that some people won't join a group because it will break the streak is silly. And yes, I have been guilty of this before and have to make a conscious effort to join a quest that will break the streak. That being said, I don't think having hard and elite streaks as an event is a bad idea. Event prizes could go to the top streakers (I crack myself up).
    only if you rebalance tr xp, nerfing bb with no change to tr xp would make me throw up my hands in disgust and think of leaving.
    Issue 5: Lame Quests I am Disappointed in Buying

Problem: Sorrowdusk Isle anyone? This example is a fairly low xp and poorly designed quest chain that requires excessive running back and forth. Can I get a refund until its improved? Seriously, this kind of thing makes me very nervous about buying any content. I shouldn't have to ask other players what is worth it. All your content should be worth it. If it isn't address it before design new quests!!!! That is just good business.
    I really like this chain, find it fun, easy to zerg, and not horrible xp with bb if zerged.

I'm not exactly sure what's happening with the new enhancement system, but based on what little I've seen it will probably fall short of addressing the following problems.

Problem 1: The weird similarities and overlaps between feats and enhancements. This is incredibly confusing to new players and requires continuous research by experienced players. Much of which is unnecessary. Feats worked alright for pen and paper, enhancements make much more sense on a computer game.

Solution 1: Get rid of redundancies. Many feats are considered to be taboo unless they have to be taken for a requirement. Some of these are mirrored in enhancements. Get rid of these feats and/or make them enhancements. Most skill focus feats I feel are an example, maybe with the exception of UMD.

Solution 2: Get rid of all feats that are not class feats. This helps by allowing players to quickly and clearly see all feats that they have received automatically and everything they have specifically chosen. Fighter bonus feats and monk bonus feats can either be re-designed similar to rogue abilities (no reason why they can't overlap with enhancements and stack) or give monk and fighters 2 bonus enhancement points at those levels that can only be used for certain enhancements. In other words use the same class system currently for feats but for enhancements.

Problem 2 and Solution: Prestige enhancements requiring 6 levels of a specific class instead of requiring certain class feats and enhancements to acquire. In other words, Pale Master I should require the ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells (not level 6 wizard), Spell Focus Necromancy (which should be an enhancement), Intelligence I (sorry if this is not quite right, I didn't double check), and a specific number of enhancement points spent. If you can qualify without taking 6 levels of wizard what does it matter? Each character should only be allowed to take 3 prestige enhancements, they can take the first, second, and third tier, or 2 tiers and one other tier one prestige, or three tier one prestige enhancements. This does a number of things, not to mention removes pressure from the developers to create an equal amount of prestige enhancements for each class or even 3 tiers in each line. Four levels of fighter should get me what I need to qualify for Kensai I at 6th level as long as I meet the BAB requirement. Just saying.
    Your idea here is worse than the enhancement pass and what nwo did combined. This would make me leave.

Issue 7: Familiars and Animal Companions

The worst part about playing a wizard, sorcerer, or ranger these days is seeing druids and artificers get the love I don't. Fix this ASAP.
    No in fact remove the arti dog and druid wolf, bad ai, and you always get an idiot that wants to summon one in a quest where high amounts of tactics are needed, then they won't dismiss them.
    Maybe allowing players to pick a region they are from, opening up a regional enhancement line for instance, would be useful and fun.
    This seems like more flavor that should be at the bottom of the list, when it comes to any improvement to ddo, less fluff more content that is bug free (or as close as can be). This ranks with cosmetic pets to me.

Put that planescaller in the 12 to work and provide more than just help getting to Shavarath. If Dolurrh were available, perhaps more pallies would have used all three tiers of Hunter of The Dead...
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    People would just do the math, figure out what was top, and you'd still only see a few weapons commonly.
    Yes, but my point is they need to balance the weapons so that more than just a khopesh, heavy pick, and those with racial enhancements are generally considered viable. This was a thread for food for thought with possible solutions.

Because of the above most these would end up being flavor weapons, or existing weapons would become flavor weapons. I would hate to see flavor put above content in terms of dev time.
    Rather add campaign flavor than have them create new creature companions.

would break the quests much the same as the fly spell
    joke as I mentioned ladder bugs. Sorry if it wasn't funny

still a noob trap, unless you're a caster and need a few points, jump is caped at 40, the jump spell is 30, so worst case 6 str 6 item you need 9 pts of jump.
    less of a trap and they can't get rid of the skill. what's your solution?

dump spot it's unneeded.
    at higher levels but its great for noticing hidden creatures at low level play, which is why I say combine its effects with search.

Your idea here is worse than the enhancement pass and what nwo did combined. This would make me leave.
    again, so what's your solution? Look, I'm just trying to help the discussion by throwing out ideas. Saying mine are bad and not offering alternatives or suggesting why its bad or how you might tweak it to make it better doesn't help. Also, notice my disclaimer about being a casual player. Honestly, you just come off as insulting for no real reason. Sorry, just the way it reads.

No in fact remove the arti dog and druid wolf, bad ai, and you always get an idiot that wants to summon one in a quest where high amounts of tactics are needed, then they won't dismiss them.
    That's one solution, or you could address the AI problems.

This seems like more flavor that should be at the bottom of the list, when it comes to any improvement to ddo, less fluff more content that is bug free (or as close as can be). This ranks with cosmetic pets to me.
    I agree to a point. One of the reasons why I prefer 'fluff', as you put it, is that it is generally easy to do and gives players something new. I feel like not focusing on new content for 6 months and instead fixing existing flaws and throwing out the occasional new weapon, enhancement, or class feature with monthly patches can go a long way. Then add your new big bad update.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Hammer1980 View Post
    again, so what's your solution? Look, I'm just trying to help the discussion by throwing out ideas. Saying mine are bad and not offering alternatives or suggesting why its bad or how you might tweak it to make it better doesn't help. Also, notice my disclaimer about being a casual player. Honestly, you just come off as insulting for no real reason. Sorry, just the way it reads.
    Meh, the joke around my house is that I'm as subtle as a sledge hammer, wasn't meant to be an insult just very strongly opinionated on it. Text is one of the worst ways to try to communicate things that include emotions. That said here are some of my solutions.

Yes, but my point is they need to balance the weapons so that more than just a khopesh, heavy pick, and those with racial enhancements are generally considered viable. This was a thread for food for thought with possible solutions.
    My general thought is this is an impossible goal that can not and will never happen unless they make all weapons the same like how WoW for example does things. I don't like this idea, I like there being a difference in weapons.

Rather add campaign flavor than have them create new creature companions.
    For me campaign flavor and any type of flavor (especially companions) are just something that's unneeded. I like raids, I see that they aren't including one in the expansion but they did code lots of flavor items, this has me upset to be honest.
    joke as I mentioned ladder bugs. Sorry if it wasn't funny
    It's text, it's hard to communicate jokes 100% with it sometimes.

less of a trap and they can't get rid of the skill. what's your solution?
    Better tool tips that explain exactly what the skill can do, and if it has any caps such as the jump cap. Players should be able to learn everything they need to know with in game tooltips about abilities without looking them up in a browser.

That's one solution, or you could address the AI problems.
    The ai problems won't be fixed until skynet forms imo.

I agree to a point. One of the reasons why I prefer 'fluff', as you put it, is that it is generally easy to do and gives players something new. I feel like not focusing on new content for 6 months and instead fixing existing flaws and throwing out the occasional new weapon, enhancement, or class feature with monthly patches can go a long way. Then add your new big bad update.
    If they were to spend an extended time doing bug fixes, I'd prefer that's all they did, no fluff period, then back to making content. When pets were first introduced there was a bug introduced where they could block los for spells, so even fluff can introduce bugs. So if you are seriously trying to remove them you don't add anything new till you get it locked down.

As far as your suggestion about feats and enhancements. DDO is a niche game, it's strength is that it has the full dnd feat choices. The enhancements were added in because it's a game and it works. Removing any part of the possiblity to customize your toon is horrible to me and something that would get me very angry which is what I see in both the upcoming enhancement pass and in your idea. To make things easier on a new player rework the paths which every vet find horrible. Make it so a new player doesn't try to take the developers advice and create a gimp. Also I'd get rid of 28 pt builds and make everyone start with 32 pt. The game has changed and 28 pt is a huge disadvantage for a new player in some classes, giving them 32 pt closes the power gap a little bit and should help some new player retention, non-gimped paths would help even more. That way if you were new or just didn't want to put the effort in you wouldn't have to and vets that like the customization aren't horribly nerfed.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Removeguild renown decay. Yay! And there was much rejoicing.
    It's definitely an N-word.

1) Cap the bravery streak counter at 5. It's much easier psychologically to break a 5 streak than a 300 streak.

2) Decrement bravery streak instead of breaking it. If you're on a 5 streak for elite and you run a normal first time, you're now down to 4 elite instead of 0.

3) Add 3:1 exchanges for all old epics, one each for seals, shards and scrolls. I'd probably add a new "epic vendor" for each pack. (eg: A new epic red fens vendor does exchanges and creates epic items for just the red fens, etc...)

4) Make 20th lists give everything, much like 3rd lists do now.

5) Remove guild renown decay.

6) Add a new "get all buffs at once" feature to guild ships, available only to level 100 guilds.

7) Make eveningstar challenge mats BTA.

8) Change teleport spell to allow customization. Stand on a spot in a public area and add it to your teleport destination list.

Community Member

My general thought is this is an impossible goal that can not and will never happen unless they make all weapons the same like how WoW for example does things. I don't like this idea, I like there being a difference in weapons.
    Well it could be done, but it would take a lot of development along the lines of the specific strengths, either realistic or fantastical, of the various types of weapons. Probably with some speed differences added along side. Along the lines of why choose war hammers over battle axes over long swords over scimitars? Well war hammers could have 5 sec stunning blow cool downs, battle axes 5 sec and +dc sunder effects, long swords 5 sec trip and scims their current crit advantages. This is just a crude example using whats already developed and would likely take some level of character development to take advantage of.

Community Member

Default Well.

Firstly. The first update i would have would be all about fixing the broken parts of old content.

Secondly. I would go through, and every single quest in the game would have an epic version. My epic versions would be casual epic would be L18, EN L19, EH L20, EE constantly upgraded to be equivalent to max character level in game. Epic tokens given on all difficulty levels so that players chasing completionist could begin farming tokens at L18 and have enough to TR at L20.

Thirdly. I would not sign off on releasing NEW content if the old content had bugs that were introduced at the same time as the content I was planning to replace with the next new content.

Fourthly. I would insist that all employees make a minimum of 10 posts in the forums per week. Even if all they say is 'good morning/good evening/goodnight'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Dump greensteel, make real epic classes bring back d20 combat, add missing races Gnomes, shifters, changlings and the rest of the eberron stuff.

Finish up the eberron stuff then go greyhawk, then maybe go back to the realms(just to make others happy I would rather delete them)

Make real 3.5 crafting(not everyone is going to be able to craft)

Never add anything from the splat books

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

The Hatchery

1) Guild buffs will last indefinitely in public areas and up to 1 hour (or death) inside quests. When you finish a quest or get back to a public area their timer will refresh (unless of course they've already expired). This will save a lot of time on rebuffing!

2) More inventory space and more bank space.

3) Make most "small items" stackable and bugable: Augments, Challenge Tokens, Siberys Dragonshards (all types), Planar Shards, Dragonshard Essences, Requisition Forms, Kobold Gems and similar items I might have forgotten.

4) Create some sort shared space where all non-BTC said items and other non-BTC stackable items (gems, ingredients, collectibles, soul gems, spell components, potions and scrolls) automatically go*, allowing access to every character on the server in real time (acts more like "shared" TP and Astral Shards and less like shared bank space). BTC items can go to the existing bags, but honestly, just make BTC into BTA and be done with it. With this system you can run Shroud with several toons and never worry about transferring infinite amount of ingredients from one to the other!

(*maximum amount increase will be purchasable)

infinite bank space. could go into a intelligent reasoning for why this would on the whole be good for both the developers and the players but not gona bother.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    Well, as someone who has been a professional software engineer for over 30 years, and who currently does only design, I would graciously decline the offer because

1) I have seen Boston, and I would refuse to live there or in the general area
    2) I wouldn't be interested in the pay cut I would have to take
    3) I consider having DDO on my resume the equivalent of career suicide...

12) I would fall into bed, and vacillate between the euphoria over how much had already been achieved, and the daunting realization of how we had barely just begun.
    barf.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 05-30-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

I would get rid of classes entirely and use an ability selection system where you select abilities, spells, your BAB, etc. by spending an allotted amount of points. This would be loosely based on a system in the 2nd edition (iirc) Dungeon Master's Guide.

Next would be linking the servers in some way so that grouping could be done cross-server (a la GW2). A website or in game tool would allow for this type of group forming.

The third thing and final thing I would do, because these should really be kept fairly short (nobody really wants to read any of these but their own), is I would make appearances a lot more customizable. Height, weight, detailed facial construction, etc.

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

I'd remove a load of load screens and open up instances, so i could leave the city gates and travel to all the explorer areas a bit like Lotro, but the whole thing would be my groups instance, not shared, then i could travel through the searing heights to the vale, or through the kings forest to get to the high road.
    Of course i'd leave the option for direct travel as is now, but i like that open world feel when i wanted it.

i'd make upper and lower airship decks one instance and remove the freaking doors, theirs no need to zone to the lower deck

In place character swapping, in a group, need a healer, ill swap to mine, select cleric, click swap, im playing a cleric ans still in the party in the same place.

Get all buffs button on ship

deconstruction alter on ship

make crafting levels account/server wide, can decon on any character and it affects your global crafting level

some sort of account wide xp abilities that take forever to earn, a bit like SWTOR legacy system.

Explorer area loot for Kings forest/underdark/high road/anything new

Dragonscale outfits

add a speed up button to cutscenes (spinner)
    Last edited by Dexraven; 05-30-2013 at 08:28 AM.

1.) Fix the worst bugs.
    2.) Do away with guild renown decay.
    3.) Openly communicate with community, especially on what is a bug and what is wai.
    4.) Implement a new global ddo-wide guild strategy (what´s a guild, what´the purpose, what´s the role of guilds, what will be the tools for guilds...).
    5.) No new content, no new shiny stuff and no new marketing knick-knacks before old content is free of bugs.
    6.) Then, and only then implement new shinies, gear, content, after toroughly testing the new stuff and not rushing anything life when still reported bugged by lam users.

I think I will get fired within 5 seconds for not bringing in enough money.

Gents here, always remember, DDO is in the final stage of the LifeCycle - a cash cow. There will be no big new things to come, only small and cheap developments, and there will be the day even while DDO still bringing in Money they will turn off the Thing because other products will Need the Server space and developer time...

Community Member

I'm very new to the forums, and I'm back from about a ~year hiatus from DDO, and I'm glad to see some of the changes that have bothered me have bothered others too.

1) Bravery bonus. Either get rid of it or just pick a flat amount of bonus xp you'll always get for first timing a quest on hard or elite, and get rid of streaks entirely. It was hard enough to fill parties before this idea was implemented-- it's just harder now and people are much less intolerant of a party not fitting the formula to earn a bravery bonus, and will leave on the spot. Not a good thing for the game.

Here's the part where I say some probably really unpopular things.

2) Cap the bonuses you get from TR'ing. Rebalance any endgame content as needed to reflect the new cap on development. You can continue to TR but won't get endless +2 stats or multiple triple-stacking past life passive advantages. I've never liked endless TR'ing, it enables too much powercreep between players based on how long they've played. Speaking as a fairly casual player, I find most past-5th life (not uncommon to see 10th, 11th life people running around) players pretty obnoxious because they're pretty broken as far as the game design is concerned and can simply zerg through everything at maximum striding speed practically without stopping. This has largely shifted the pug group meta into: zerg, and if it can't be zerged, either no one does that quest or they try once, wipe and ragequit out of the group. Yes I know everyone with multiple 13th-life characters will despise the idea, but if I were in charge I'd do what I felt was best for the game as a whole and not for the sub community of people that want god-phoenix characters.

3) Change traps so that fort saves are for acid, poison, and fire, will saves are for sonic, lightning, reflex saves are for spikes, blades and similar. Reflex is a god stat and every TR with a splash of monk simply ignores them on virtually any difficulty. Also traps should fire "instantly"-- many players with enough speed (particularly monks with their highest striding item equipped) can run through and not even make a save check because they literally run past the trap so fast they're beyond the hitbox of the trap damage by the time it fires. Playing through 1-20 content is basically just watching people who know enough about the game to have high dex and/or pump up reflex saves just run through every trap and zerg every quest with no visible consequence.

4) Streamline DDO store costs. Some items are reasonably priced, most are not. Most of the adventure packs are overpriced considering that past levels 10-13 you're going to have a bear of a time finding anything you're able to do without adventure packs. I'm fine with strictly cosmetic or optional items having higher prices, but things with direct and critical impact on a player's expeirence of the game and ability to continue playing should be reasonably accessible to everyone.

5) Ability to turn off seeing player pets. They're nothing but a distracting eyesore to me particularly in fights.

6) Expand the number of useful gameplay items you can get by turning in collectibles, and drastically reduce the number of collectible turn-in's required for diamonds and such. My level 17 character still doesn't have enough of anything for a level 8 random augment? Come on.

7) Completely freeze level cap increases. Ever-increasing level caps = WOW, Everquest. I picked up and fell in love with DDO because it was so different from those kinds of games. Constantly servicing the demand of the endgame crowd is a never ending task and you will always need to be creating new content and rewards and items for them at a faster rate that creates enormous gaps between them and the rest of the players who progress at a more moderated rate. It feeds power creep and just has a lot of detrimental effects on the game. One of the best things about DDO is the reincarnation mechanic and this provides a lot of replayability beyond simply "levelling as fast as humanly possible and then raiding at endgame" like in every single other MMO. Because of this I'd shift focus towards revamping and adding new content all across the 1-20 level ranges and not simply adding more and more content for 25, 28, 30, 35, etc. Any glance at the grouping pane at any time of day will show that a good 2/3rds if not more of the grouping is for quests under level 15, that's where most players are spending most time, it's where it's easiest to get groups and it's where the most free content is. Service that community and and add replay and fun throughout the entire experience of the game, not just the end.

8) Mirror what someone else suggested earlier: leave one slot in every chest in the game as a "wild card" loot table that can potentially spawn almost any item for that level range of the quest in question, including some of the really nice items. 9/10ths of the chests in the game give nothing but vendor trash and you already know it before you even open it up if you've done the quest before.

9) Change the suite of "stat buff" spells so that they still give you +4 even if you have that much or more off enhancement from items if your total in that stat is under 20 or so. +4 to +6 stat gear is available so incredibly early in the game that you're unlikely to see these spells used at all past waterworks practically.

10) I would remove Heal and Panacea. They invalidate a dozen or more other cleric spells as soon as a cleric gets them and I'd like to see a return to strategic choices of spells carried into dungeons and healers doing more than mashing one button while their party zergs a quest. Additionally I would extend the duration of all status ailments noticeably and I would increase the saves required to avoid any negative effects from them. Clerics should be desired in a party for more than just healbotting or spamming their Radiant Servant active, and also when they really are just there to spam one or two buttons there is little reason to play one over a FvS.

11) I would add an xp penalty for using hirelings, and an equal xp bonus for having a full party for a quest. I'd love to see a return to balanced character play and balanced mixes of classes instead of endless parties made up of monk splashes and arcanes with a cleric hireling thrown in.

12) I would change the grouping pane so that LFM groups which have already in-progressed their quest are a separate tab from the main grouping window. Tired of applying to groups that have left a LFM flag up all the way through the quest and they're already back in town selling and done with the quest.

13) I would make bind on account the highest any item pre-20 can go. Why in the world if I find Goggles of Perception in Tempest Spine on my fighter can I not hand it over to my rogue? Is this gamebreaking somehow? lol. I can do this with Voice of the Master, one of the most high impact items in the game, so I just don't get why so many lowbie items are bind to character.

14) This is kind of a big one... I'd add alignment-only spells for both arcane and divine casters, and perhaps even deity-specific powers based on their alignment.It wouldn't necessarily be a huge spellbook of alignment specific spells, but it would be at least a few, maybe 1 per spell circle that only mages/clerics of that alignment can use.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast