Community Member

Default Law of Unintended Consequences

A resent experience I had which as left me wondering if I should take a break from DDO while the players grow up or more mature players join DDO (I have already decided not to spend the $50 for the preview) led to another thought. With players having the ability to start at level 15 now if someone wanted to get back at another player it is now possible to create a level 10 or 12 or 15 toon (cleric comes to mind since they are usually always needed in a quest) the same level as whom ever you wish to mess with. Then when they post on LFM join the party and make sure you find ways to mess up the quest (don't heal the guy you are messing with/exit and re-enter/make sure the quest can't be completed (only works with a few quests)/etc. You will likely be ignored, but that doesn't matter since as soon as the quest is over/failed you will delete the toon and create another using a different name to do it again later that day or the next day.

I can only assume this will work since I don't (and don't expect to) have access the iconic toons.

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoWondering View Post
    A resent experience I had which as left me wondering if I should take a break from DDO while the players grow up or more mature players join DDO (I have already decided not to spend the $50 for the preview) led to another thought. With players having the ability to start at level 15 now if someone wanted to get back at another player it is now possible to create a level 10 or 12 or 15 toon (cleric comes to mind since they are usually always needed in a quest) the same level as whom ever you wish to mess with. Then when they post on LFM join the party and make sure you find ways to mess up the quest (don't heal the guy you are messing with/exit and re-enter/make sure the quest can't be completed (only works with a few quests)/etc. You will likely be ignored, but that doesn't matter since as soon as the quest is over/failed you will delete the toon and create another using a different name to do it again later that day or the next day.

I can only assume this will work since I don't (and don't expect to) have access the iconic toons.
    The person that does that must be a very lonely man indeed.....

Also, isn't there a cooldown time when you delete a charcter? Like the slot is taken up for like 24 hours b4 u can create another one?

I forget.....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    The person that does that must be a very lonely man indeed.....

Also, isn't there a cooldown time when you delete a charcter? Like the slot is taken up for like 24 hours b4 u can create another one?

I forget.....
    In the past when I didn't like a toon I've "re-rolled" it by deleting it and creating a new one with the same name in just the the time it takes to actually create a toon. (I don't know if there is a daily limit to this as I have run with the new toon for a while after creating it.

Community Member

IME if you're that concerned about people going out of their way to grief you, you should really ask yourself why anyone would bother. Take a good look at your behavior, take a good look at your friends and your guild, and then change one or both of them.

A few questions come to mind.....

What would cause the need for such retaliation?

In addition the OP wrote:
    "(don't heal the guy you are messing with/exit and re-enter/make sure the quest can't be completed (only works with a few quests)/etc" as griefing options.

Many of these seem like someone not knowing a quest or the abilities of their character.....which sounds just about right for a fresh off the boat lv 15 or someone new to the game who just bought iconic characters and the expansion. If you're worried about someone taking the time to grief in this manner, you can go anonymous too...
    Agro - Paryan, Pary, Parrii, Parriahh
    Bringers of Darkness

There are many things I worry about with iconics, none of them have anything to do with griefing. Overall the amount of griefing and trolling in game in ddo is very very low in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    There are many things I worry about with iconics, none of them have anything to do with griefing. Overall the amount of griefing and trolling in game in ddo is very very low in my experience.
    I agree that the amount of griefing / trolling in DDO is really rare. If someone does this, just use the squelch or ignore command (posted below for reference). In the really rare instance that this happened to me (maybe once or twice ever in 7 years of playing...I can't even remember), I just do that and it solves the problem. If someone is harrasing you, submit a help desk ticket. Let a GM deal with them. If you're already in a quest and someone griefs you, just recall out and join someone else's group, solo something, or take a short break so it won't be obvious where they can find you. My guess is that someone that immature also has a short attention span. If you want, go anonymous too so they really can't find you (command posted below for reference). I certainly wouldn't let one, not-so-nice person make you stop playing if you don't want to. Take a break for a day or two and come back fresh, and I bet you'll find everything is fine. So I don't think your concern will turn into an issue.

Ignore command: /ignore {add | remove | list} {name}
    Anonymous command: /anon {on | off}
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Question

Not trying to be an *** (it just comes naturally to me ), but whose wheaties bowl did you whiz in lately?

Or, are you just that paranoid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Community Member

Post In accordance with Law of Unintended Consequences

After nearly a decade of dungeon delving, raid ransacking and monster mashing, I have encountered my fair share of 'strange' behavior. I have witnessed non-healing clerics without dps. Began VoN6 and had a "Leroy Jenkinnns!" fall off the bridge. Drunken keyboard warriors, under-aged mic-screamers and the general rage-quitter. However, after a certain level, generally 10th, you see a decline in the irrational gamer and begin to find like-minded, sound individual who are more serious about the time they're investing into the game.

I assumed I was free from the ridiculousness at 14th, until today. While running the Diplo chain (Lordsmarch), I came across a wizard. A little low on hp, as to be expected, but I figured he would make up for it with cc and insti-kill tactics. I, myself am a WF Sorc13/Ftr1 Melee buffhouse. So while I'm in front of the pack, the Wiz is in the back, like a smart plush-toy should. The Diplo was going fine, cannot recall any problems until the end of the quest, where the party has to walk up to the end fight and confront the army leader. While the party is taking out the baddies two at a time, our trusty Wiz ran ahead, initiating the 'truce', preventing us from getting conquest.

Being that most of us were TR's and exp hungry, I announced this fact to the party. I wish I hadn't. Wiz replied, in text, with a snobby remark and from that point, it all went down hill. Just after the end fight begins, Wiz dies, costing us a total of 25%. Nothing to his first life. I held my tongue and gave him another shot in pt2 of the chain, Frame Work.

The quest started off slow, waiting for everyone to rebuff and enter. The barb in the group and myself run ahead to start clearing. After the whole party reaches the gate, we get separated. With my Str bonus and Jump spell, I leap over every obstacle I find, slashing down everything in my path with my GS GAxe. I swear it was the quickest run I've had of FW. Myself and the rest of the party rejoined at the trapped staircase. Come to find out, who else but our Wiz is lying dead somewhere inside the labyrinth of stone buildings. I check out my trusty mini-map to find his direction and head over, encountering a plethora of Minotaurs along the way. After a dozen kills, I see that he's alive and deduce someone must have helped him out; Back over to the boss fight I go. At the conclusion of the quest, I receive what felt like too little exp, especially since I heard Ransack and Conquest sound off. I check the exp report to see we lost our Re-entry bonus to who else, but that Wiz.

Second straw and I'm a little ticked. However, I calmly ask in text "Why did you rez out and re-enter"? To which I hear in voice "Because you ******** left me for dead again like idiots". That was it, I told him like it was. "You have no survivability as a wizard. You left the group multiple times in quest, cost us exp-hungry '********' that precious exp AND now are using profanity, against and referring to your co-players. Squelched".

He must not have liked having to see the truth because I received some hate mail from either a friend, or an alt of his pretending to be a friend. I would post the screenshot of said letter but I'm not sure if anyone will even respond to this post, but the gist of it is he warned me that anytime I am online, lfg and the like, he will inform everyone about my 'bad habits' and terrible game-like conduct.

Moral of the story is, maybe it's best to keep the ignorant in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by OverCurse View Post
    I, myself am a WF Sorc13/Ftr1 Melee buffhouse.
    No sir, you wield the dark powers of true necromancy.

While I understand (and have experienced) how painful some arses can be (some have the power of really breaking your gaming experience) something really set my nerves on edge in the story you told us.

Quote Originally Posted by OverCurse View Post
    (...) preventing us from getting conquest.
    Uh ? Conquest ? On Diplo/FW ? Group full of xp starving TRs ?
    You really sure you know how xp works ?

Invis to NPC, speak, ddoor. Speak with NPC at entry, invis again and haste. Run till the barrier, break it, invis again and run to boss. Speak of his mother, kill him. Recall. Oops forgot to loot. You get devious, done in 5 minutes.

Framework same story. Invis, grab ballista parts, outside, cast jump, enter from the backdoor, run to nearest ballista. Repair, Jump. Kill chieftain. Ddoor. Oops forgot to loot. You get devious, done in 5 minutes.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Nédime View Post
    No sir, you wield the dark powers of true necromancy.

While I understand (and have experienced) how painful some arses can be (some have the power of really breaking your gaming experience) something really set my nerves on edge in the story you told us.

Uh ? Conquest ? On Diplo/FW ? Group full of xp starving TRs ?
    You really sure you know how xp works ?

Invis to NPC, speak, ddoor. Speak with NPC at entry, invis again and haste. Run till the barrier, break it, invis again and run to boss. Speak of his mother, kill him. Recall. Oops forgot to loot. You get devious, done in 5 minutes.

Framework same story. Invis, grab ballista parts, outside, cast jump, enter from the backdoor, run to nearest ballista. Repair, Jump. Kill chieftain. Ddoor. Oops forgot to loot. You get devious, done in 5 minutes.
    I liked the other story better. Yours didnt have dying wizards. Everyone has their own way of playing. Even if its in someones backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    ... Even if its in someones backpack.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I sometimes find that folks get mad at the end of quests when things go wrong without providing any communication or leadership at the beginning of the quest. Its easy to assume folks think the same way about the game as you are right now but everyone is different; furthermore, new and veteran players have totally different perspectives as a rule; and a player's moods vary a lot.

For example: Healing. People don't assume you need healing anymore, even in heroic content. If you don't ask for healing, the divines aren't necessarily griefing you when they don't heal you. And if you ask for healing, you have to be nice (humble) about it because that's an area of controversy from way back. No one likes feeling like the butler but most divines appreciate being helpful if you ask for help (but don't ask for 'hjeals', that makes em ornery for some reason).
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

Dunno about anyone else, but I don't get enough gaming time to spend that much of it trying to be an a-hole to somebody. I'd rather be having fun. :P
    Sarlona: Aramzim, Attickus, Behren, Daaghda, Darksyde, Fyggaro, Oldero
    Argonessen: Egyll, Ghrae, Mitrel, Physz, Sanjurow, Schaeleen