Community Member

Default Is there a viable bow build at all?

New to the game but bows feel so gimped. Please help =)

Quote Originally Posted by Skellimancer View Post
    New to the game but bows feel so gimped. Please help =)
    What level are you?

Once you get Manyshot (level 6 ranger gets this for free), and the Arcane Archer Prestige Enhancement, ranged combat gets a little better. But even then you still have to melee most of the time.

Probably the most powerful archer build is a elf or half-elf monk/ranger multi-class with 10k stars, many-shot, improved precise shot, and arcane archer. It becomes quite powerful at ranged combat once you get past level 12 or so.

For low level ranged goodness, try artificer and use repeating crossbows... They are quite powerful in first ten levels... Still decent later one... A pure artificer is probably the easiest build for a new player wanting to focus on ranged combat.

One twist is a 12/6/2 monk/ranger/artificer... Lets you use repeating crossbows up until level 9 or so, then you can switch to bows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    What level are you?

Once you get Manyshot (level 6 ranger gets this for free), and the Arcane Archer Prestige Enhancement, ranged combat gets a little better. But even then you still have to melee most of the time.

Probably the most powerful archer build is a elf or half-elf monk/ranger multi-class with 10k stars, many-shot, improved precise shot, and arcane archer. It becomes quite powerful at ranged combat once you get past level 12 or so.

For low level ranged goodness, try artificer and use repeating crossbows... They are quite powerful in first ten levels... Still decent later one... A pure artificer is probably the easiest build for a new player wanting to focus on ranged combat.

One twist is a 12/6/2 monk/ranger/artificer... Lets you use repeating crossbows up until level 9 or so, then you can switch to bows.
    Not very high level. Just feel a bit useless atm in groups.

The ranger/monk sounds fun. Do you know what feat are must haves by any chance?

Not very high level. Just feel a bit useless atm in groups.

The ranger/monk sounds fun. Do you know what feat are must haves by any chance?
    Here's my build that I use..

It's more of an advanced build but it will give you some ideas

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Hong-Kong-Pewy

For ranger/monk, you want Zen Archery, and you want to make your wisdom your main stat... Get Stunning fist too, and you can do pretty well in melee using handwraps... 6 levels of rangers is a must... Ton of free feats. I'd probably get 1 level of ranger, 2 levels of monk (two free feats and evasion - pick up Zen Archery and Stunning Fist for your monk feats), then 5 levels of ranger.

In the early levels, an artificer with a repeating crossbow can go 100% ranged... Characters who use a bow during the early levels should switch to melee when the mobs get in close... In the mid-levels, bow-users get stronger... (Especially when using manyshot - during those 20 seconds, you're doing far more damage than any melee character, but that's balanced by the 1 minute 40 second cooldown)
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Remember, if you're doing the ranger/monk build, you want to be an elf or a half-elf so you can get the Arcane Archer enhancement (around level 8 I think). If you're mostly ranger (18 levels at least), then you can be any race and still get the Arcane Archer enhancements from your ranger levels.

Community Member

Here's my build that I use..

It's more of an advanced build but it will give you some ideas

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Hong-Kong-Pewy

For ranger/monk, you want Zen Archery, and you want to make your wisdom your main stat... Get Stunning fist too, and you can do pretty well in melee using handwraps... 6 levels of rangers is a must... Ton of free feats. I'd probably get 1 level of ranger, 2 levels of monk (two free feats and evasion - pick up Zen Archery and Stunning Fist for your monk feats), then 5 levels of ranger.

In the early levels, an artificer with a repeating crossbow can go 100% ranged... Characters who use a bow during the early levels should switch to melee when the mobs get in close... In the mid-levels, bow-users get stronger... (Especially when using manyshot - during those 20 seconds, you're doing far more damage than any melee character, but that's balanced by the 1 minute 40 second cooldown)

Thanks! =) Looks like a fun build! BTW Does 10kstar have a long cooldown?

Thanks! =) Looks like a fun build! BTW Does 10kstar have a long cooldown?
    10k stars lasts 30 seconds with a 30 second cooldown...

So once you have both manyshot and 10k stars you can stay ranged most of the time...

30 seconds - 10k stars
    20 seconds - manyshot
    10 seconds - single shot or switch to melee
    30 seconds - 10k starts
    30 seconds - single shot or switch to melee
    repeat

Community Member

10k stars lasts 30 seconds with a 30 second cooldown...

So once you have both manyshot and 10k stars you can stay ranged most of the time...

30 seconds - 10k stars
    20 seconds - manyshot
    10 seconds - single shot or switch to melee
    30 seconds - 10k starts
    30 seconds - single shot or switch to melee
    repeat
    That's amazing! You just saved my sanity. I love bows to death. Thank you =)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Just remember to be patient: it takes a while for monkchers to hit their full potential; indeed, for the first several levels you're usually better off using melee than a bow.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Just remember to be patient: it takes a while for monkchers to hit their full potential; indeed, for the first several levels you're usually better off using melee than a bow.
    Luckily, during most of those levels, you can fight unarmed and enjoy feats like Power Attack, TWF and Stunning Fist. Or just PA and a big axe, depending on preference

Really, until you get Manyshot, I would not range anything that I could run up to in the time it takes to switch to handwraps or greataxe.