Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I used to pug all the time...until my husband and I started running our completionist lives. I'm kinda shy and find it awkward to run with people I don't know anyway, and it was very hard to control our xp through Ransack and IDB and the like, due to different play styles of the other puggers. So we just started two manning it so we could get max xp at our own pace. I still do like to PUG when we reach higher level, but for a TR...it just kind of seems like a waste of time, unless you like meeting new people.

Pugs seem down to me as well. At least, I seem to remember there being more pugs both when I started playing some years ago, and around the time MotU came out. My best guesses as to why this is so are (a) there are fewer players than there used to be and (b) many vets just solo or look for people they know to fill the spots. Another guess, (b) is a bigger culprit here than (a). It seems to me that the number of vets in the game out number the new players, and groups of players have become more insulated from each other since I started playing. So, for many of the people I know there is little need or desire to pug.

Personally, I love pugging. It may be my favorite way to run quests. Given that I love to pug and pugging seems down, I developed some strategies to fill pugs. One thing I do is set an lfm, buff, then start the quest immediately. It always seems that people are more willing to join quests that are already in progress. Another thing I do is take the first people who hit my lfm, no matter what build they are. Not waiting for clerics or other specialized builds seems to make people happy that they aren't wasting time. I may have some other strategies, but those two are the only ones I can think of. If anyone has other ways of getting pugs filled I'd love to hear them.
    Wizenmann (29th life Completionist Cleric), Diotimae (13th life Tank), Malwida (7th life Rogue Mechanic), Iraenilee (4th life Sorc), Garainth (3rd life Bard), Stirner (3rd life Paladin), and a grip of others. Sole member of Solipsists United on Ghallanda.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    I used to PUG almost exclusively on G-Land. Now? I got seven toons, and unless I'm lvl 10 or lower, the PUG scene is a wasteland. Lots of advertised solo runs, it is difficult at best to get a dedicated healer, and a lot of runs basically go bust because there are not enough people to fill them. I mean, I used to have no problems at all getting into a PUG, or getting into a group and have a high probability that it would fill. Nowadays? Notsomuch.

Do you think it is an influx of solo-only players, or something else?

I personally have noticed that the runs that fill quickly, and most often seem to be F2P - Lords of Dust, Servants of the Overlord, and so on. Anyone else agree?

Just curiious what other people on the server think.
    Well Im going for completionist (Current life:10th) and I have PUGed all of those excpet for some periods where I run with friend that helps me with builds...but yea PUGging is not the way to level anymore... It gets fun from time to time but often u get to roll with ppl that have a lvl 6-7 toon with 50hps

BTW to set record straight my understanding on BYOH is to bring ur own pots or stuff to keep urself alive... it doesnt mean HEY WE NEED A MEAT SHIELD THAT CAN SELFHEAL...

And again... I mentioned this on another post... Ive seen ppl kicking Newbies right away cause they dont know where guild is or due to lack of HPs... remmeber u were at that same spot when u started...Asking which house? Or share? Or even is it f2p?

P.S. Still dont know how to Quote properly u_u

Popping in again, as I've TR'd more core folks again and are climbing back through the levels.

I've had zero problem with pugs filling that I start or join - and I find a mix of vets / newer players in them.

VoN was full, GH has been full, Orchard has been full, Madness has been full (though people are still scared of In the Flesh), the two Lordsmarch ones were full.

Desert was a little sparse. Chains and ADQ specifically are the worst.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Believe it or not as I leveled 2 TRs, I've gotten PUGs for the more obscure packs, and neither toon had a chance to PUG Tangleroot.

I am finding some variety in epic from about 8:00 - 10:00 PM EST. After that it falls off.

Amrath? It's a wasteland. Got my rogue almost flagged so that All I need to do is run Sins on hard, and I can get Yugo favor for potions. Aside from that, my pally and wizzy could not get groups for the more group friendly New Invasion and/or Genesis Point.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Believe it or not as I leveled 2 TRs, I've gotten PUGs for the more obscure packs, and neither toon had a chance to PUG Tangleroot.

I am finding some variety in epic from about 8:00 - 10:00 PM EST. After that it falls off.

Amrath? It's a wasteland. Got my rogue almost flagged so that All I need to do is run Sins on hard, and I can get Yugo favor for potions. Aside from that, my pally and wizzy could not get groups for the more group friendly New Invasion and/or Genesis Point.
    Yeah, no one runs ToD hardly, so no point flagging.

You don't need the XP to get from 1-20 or from 15-20 - and since they don't drop CoV it isn't like anyone really is going to run Amrath for streak at 21 or something - no reason to bother. Same w/ House C. They really need to put COV in every quest 20+ end reward list (including heroic normal or elite that bumps it that high) .... and really need to let 18s run "epics".

I suspect the desert issue is due to some of those quests being challenging for some players ... and distance to the quest. The run out to Chains and ADQ are not fast, people get lost easily, etc. OOB can still beat unprepared parties, etc. and the ADQ queen fights are rough at-streak for plenty of builds. My repeater and sorc folks kited like mad, and one mis-step could mean someone has to toss me a raise. My current cleric-thug just tanked her down - but opening the ways took a lot longer on him.

Hero
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post

You don't need the XP to get from 1-20 or from 15-20 - and since they don't drop CoV it isn't like anyone really is going to run Amrath for streak at 21 or something - no reason to bother. Same w/ House C. They really need to put COV in every quest 20+ end reward list (including heroic normal or elite that bumps it that high) .... and really need to let 18s run "epics".

I suspect the desert issue is due to some of those quests being challenging for some players ... and distance to the quest. The run out to Chains and ADQ are not fast, people get lost easily, etc. OOB can still beat unprepared parties, etc. and the ADQ queen fights are rough at-streak for plenty of builds. My repeater and sorc folks kited like mad, and one mis-step could mean someone has to toss me a raise. My current cleric-thug just tanked her down - but opening the ways took a lot longer on him.
    It is still worth it to run Amarath, if only for the yugo pots.. Agreed you don't need the xp, however; with the recent changes to the xp it is not that bad (just flagged a toon last week).

Even though it is not ran often, there is a fair amount of demand for it. Ran it last weekend for SatuRaids, I think we pugged out 4-5 spots and it filled nearly instantly, with most people looking for various clickies and rings.

Like many things in the pug scene -- have a few friends and pug out the rest.. they will come. Just most folks aren't willing to hit a lfm with only one person in it, as soon as I hit 2-3 (or 4-5 for raids) the rest fill very quickly.

btw-- I completely agree that comms need to be available for at least the lvl 18/19 quests, to encourage lvl 20-21's to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andoris View Post
    It is still worth it to run Amarath, if only for the yugo pots.. Agreed you don't need the xp, however; with the recent changes to the xp it is not that bad (just flagged a toon last week).

Even though it is not ran often, there is a fair amount of demand for it. Ran it last weekend for SatuRaids, I think we pugged out 4-5 spots and it filled nearly instantly, with most people looking for various clickies and rings.

Like many things in the pug scene -- have a few friends and pug out the rest.. they will come. Just most folks aren't willing to hit a lfm with only one person in it, as soon as I hit 2-3 (or 4-5 for raids) the rest fill very quickly.

btw-- I completely agree that comms need to be available for at least the lvl 18/19 quests, to encourage lvl 20-21's to run them.
    I can see running it if you've switched over to iconic or epic reincarnation; sure they can be useful if you're doing heroic TRs, but really just not needed. I do expect as more folks finish out old-style heroic on their casters, it will pick up.

I still run amrath elites every single life, but just once and I don't take many puggers. 95% of the time the more puggers you get the more problems there will be, and it's not just amrath.

There is this all-pervasive attitude among newer people, that others have to pick up your slack whenever you don't feel like doing something, like taking a quick glance at the ddowiki to find out a bit about the quest you're going to run for the first time especially if its going to be elite or picking up some hp pots and a resistance wand. And more experienced players who carry these kind of players by providing easily-accessible information and a mobfree pathway to walk on are not doing them any favors.

Why show any initiative and make your own LFM when you can just try to get other people to do stuff for you and provide for you? This is why I feel we don't see that many LFMs. Groups are still running as healthy as before, it's just that they aren't being formed through the LFM-panel. Needy people are being left on the curb and they're blaming the self-sufficiency of other people who have struggled to attain it.

Well, this ended up as a bit of a rant, but remember! If I kick you because you start with 'WAT HAUS SHR PLOX' after you join my group... it's for your own good.
    'Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about.
    And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have.'
    Omnipresence, Ghallanda
    - Xaositect, Thakorian, Vhaerite, Hexmetal, Praxarian, Aoskar -

Yugo pots man, Yugo pots. But that's just Elite for all 4 of the flagging quests and you're good, don't even need to run the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Yugo pots man, Yugo pots. But that's just Elite for all 4 of the flagging quests and you're good, don't even need to run the raid.
    Yeah, if they were necessary. Like I said, you don't need them for 1-20 leveling AT ALL. I can see a bit of an uptick in demand once more people are iconic and epic reincarnating.

Unless, it makes it easier for Teh_Troll to HJEAL MEH, in which case I support you ;-)

You know, i have a different theory as to why there are fewer LFM's these days.

I know it will sound odd, but I think the reason is that there are MORE players that when I started.

It used to be you didn't need to go through your friends list to group with people you knew/knew you. You just put up an LFM and most the people you joined were already on your friends list, in your guild, or just knew who you were.

Now with the admission of so many new players there are lots of old timers who don't dare put up an LFM because of the fear of having 100 hp, non healing clerics who "killz stuffs" hit there LFM.

Just a thought.

Thanks and have a great pugging day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    As an aside, our player concurrency numbers didn't show any kind of dip. Player numbers have been fairly consistent and healthy throughout the champions introduction. Sev~

I just pugged an Iconic life (15-20) on a wizard with groups so good I was literally piking 90% of the time on an over-powered toon.

Been running a melee life to with some guildies and almost all the "strays" we've picked up along the way have at least been competent.

Did things get better recently or did I just get lucky?

while i dont know what the puging scene in the old days was, when i open the grouping tab on my lvl16 right now i see enough lfms imo and i dont even own everything so there could be stuff like vale or amrath in there as well that i just dont see

but as already said, beeing able to solo alot of stuff always is a bane to lfms though, and maybe thats just me, going from 20 to 28 without puging just seems strange
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    *insert axe*
    o o

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I just pugged an Iconic life (15-20) on a wizard with groups so good I was literally piking 90% of the time on an over-powered toon.

Been running a melee life to with some guildies and almost all the "strays" we've picked up along the way have at least been competent.

Did things get better recently or did I just get lucky?
    They are better.

They are better.
    That's good because I have to pug. You can't pike when you solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Two Words :

******** Streak.

That's what kills pugging.

Now the old system had some drawbacks, but at least you had lots of pugs as trying to max out your XP required you to tackle quests way over your party level, and you couldn't do that soloing with just a Drone or two.
    ^^
    "Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand"-Kurt Vonnegut

i think pugging is down cause you got these fs who put byoh knowing that if they didn t play a fs they couldn t byoh n and dont lie ppl u know as well as i half these ppl you wouldn t party with if they weren t fs, and even on byoh they still hide in the back like there fs was worthless as a healer , heres a shock there still worthless as a dps or spell slinger, and i apoligise to all the true build kick it out favored souls out there , im gonna start a favored soul and promise no matter the build im shure i will find time and ability to help other players and fight , but to the fs who know who they are doing ee and listing byoh you know youd never try that if u couldn t heal with that class
    Last edited by prophet1; 12-20-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prophet1 View Post
    i think pugging is down cause you got these fs who put byoh knowing that if they didn t play a fs they couldn t byoh n and dont lie ppl u know as well as i half these ppl you wouldn t party with if they weren t fs, and even on byoh they still hide in the back like there fs was worthless as a healer , heres a shock there still worthless as a dps or spell slinger, and i apoligise to all the true build kick it out favored souls out there , im gonna start a favored soul and promise no matter the build im shure i will find time and ability to help other players and fight , but to the fs who know who they are doing ee and listing byoh you know youd never try that if u couldn t heal with that class
    right, Ill just solo ee stuff instead on my furyshotting fvs, k thx bye
    'Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about.
    And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have.'
    Omnipresence, Ghallanda
    - Xaositect, Thakorian, Vhaerite, Hexmetal, Praxarian, Aoskar -

wow i can t even imagine how long that would take and if a person could actually swing a weapon that long without dying of a heart attack , how much can u really crit for and be real , also i would have to ask would u use a hired healer or 2 , naw im jk , as i said i bow to the true fs players who play with the divine class there class has , idk ever since they gave my pally the ability to group heal and do it endlessly , ive worked on getting it up to about 650 a shot and in battle while fighting i try to spam it as i see hp dropping , if my pally can do it couldn t a divine class healer and still be awsome , i will stop fighting still intimin (means i lose my shield bonus and my ac drops from 150+ like 30 or 40 points)and scroll heals someone if i think its prudent (and them dying is always prudent) would you wanna play with someone who care if anyone in the party dies or someone who only cares if they die ?, guess it goes to back in the day when elite cof was murder , and u carried soul stones more times than u can rember to a res shire , if silver archer was still around he could tell ya lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast