Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Default It is what it is

Put up a pug for Phiarlan Carnival chain on EE this morning, UK late-morning, usually a ghost town.

Started with I think 4 in the party, soon filled without any drama and we got through the quests, think someone died in every quest but couldn't be arsed getting uptight about it.

Grabbed some food then put up another LFM to do Sentinels chain and Spies in the House EE. Much the same. Got them done, no major drama.

There's maybe a lack of people putting up LFMs, but if you go to the bother of putting one up, not seeing any problem filling them.

Community Member

Love tossing up a lfm, its one of my favorite sources of entertainment between the random comments, rage and free drama. Occasionally even stumble upon another player who is worth running with again. But really its just to mess with newbie players, you don't get much reaction from vets or decent skill players but oh my lord the party comment gold from randoms.

On the other side, I don't join to many LFM's, it's all eh or en blahness for the most part and I have to respect myself in the morning.

I swear most LFMs end up being TRs who are tired of running alone, or who are spinning up new characters (at least past 8th or so).

I'm still pugging pretty solidly. Even if my little guild of 3 decides to do something all together, if I've got the star I'm opening it up for others and taking whothehellever.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Regarding "save me a spot" requests.

NO.

I'm probably the guy he's complaining about but I don't care. You are the one being selfish asking somebody to wait for you in a pickup group so you have no right to complain when people will not wait for you.

Regarding power-zerging in flower-sniffing groups, that's just not cool. Especially if people are new and have never run the content before, it ruins people's fun. If you're a power-zerger you just shouldn't do that.

However . . . if you join zerger's group you have no right to complain if they dont' flower sniff.

The problem is simply addressed, just throw up LFM for that 99% of the content the can be handled by any group.
    I didn't got that for sure, if you are talking about me? I wasn't complaining about anyone saving me a spot. When I do that, I usually change immediately, and most of the times the PUG is not filled by the time I join and the party leader is the waiting for at least 4 or 5 players type.

I do agree with the power-zerging in flower-snifing groups. I usually save that kind of runs to my guild runs, they are more fun and we don't have any problems when someone dies or doesn't know the quest, even when non-guildies are in the group.

Whenever I join a PUG, I try to know what kind of run is it going to be (if the LFM doesn't say) and adapt my characters role. Are we running, doing optionals, do the lever or kill the bad guys type of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    (...)
    There's maybe a lack of people putting up LFMs, but if you go to the bother of putting one up, not seeing any problem filling them.
    I believe you don't feel any problems filling your LFMs because of your name. People know you, they know the PUG will be good with you in the party, and even more as party leader.

But I have joined too many LFMs with some random unknown player creating it, and we waited and waited until the party disbands because the lack of members. Thus, I'm usually the last one giving up, I have lots of time to play (out of job, so...). I'm talking about normal characters here, no GS/Epic/named items users who need a hand doing quests because they can't solo them.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Lately, I've been running with two groups of people, each group is comprised of two small guilds. But I have to PUG if I want to raid or do some ED grinding, or certain quests/chains they have no interest in.

What I've noticed is that these groups never put up LFM when they have spare spots. They'd all rather pull out a hire, panther, or owlbear.

If you really want to encourage a PUG culture on the server, I suggest:

1. Put up an LFM when you have a free spot instead of using a hire. If you fill your free spots with bots, you don't meet new people.
    2. Don't use autogroup. Put up an LFM and bank, or something and have a little patience. Many people don't want to join a quest that's "in progress." We're playing a game for enjoyment, so they don't want to feel pressured or rushed just to get to a half-done quest because they miss XP, chests, learning the quest if they don't know it, or the convenience of a party if they have to cross a wilderness area (it may be "easy" for many, but it's still a hassle).
    3. Create or join a private channel. It can be like an extended guild; if you can start your LFM with a couple people in already in it, others join faster.
    4. Use LFM comments wisely; "Healers welcome" is less cringe-worthy than "Need heals." amirite?
    Last edited by Phaeton_Seraph; 09-28-2013 at 07:02 PM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    ...have a little patience. Many people don't want to join a quest that's "in progress." We're playing a game for enjoyment...
    Nope, sorry, not going to happen. I put up an LFM while I'm ship-buffing, and I start when I get there. After that, it's going to be "in progress".

Group leaders are playing a game for enjoyment, too, and standing around wondering whether someone will join or not doesn't qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Nope, sorry, not going to happen. I put up an LFM while I'm ship-buffing, and I start when I get there. After that, it's going to be "in progress".

Group leaders are playing a game for enjoyment, too, and standing around wondering whether someone will join or not doesn't qualify.
    I just did the same. "Tempest Spine, normal for first time bonus (8-12). In-progress"

Someone joined right as I was to the rune by the Inevitable. He was the only one at completion besides me.

(note that this has nothing to do with my player skill, more to do with the uber zerging power of a sorc - there's no way I could do this on my similarly-leveled bard in the same timeframe)

Hit or miss still for me in general. Some PUGs fill fast, frequently. Other than the above I've had great success filling.

Default Pugging is down because of the attitude of the people pugging and the game being made

Having been in a pug in the weekend where the drama was high and a lot of ranting from "Vets" about how they hate pugging and why other players suck, its no wonder people are prefering to solo or just run with static / guild. The number of pugs I have been in where this has happened is high.

The second pug of note was where we rushed through at breakneck speed no optionals no side chests and exploits to get to the end. This may have a time and place but I like to do the quest if I just wanted to pike for XP I would buy a stone or do gold roles.

Thats why pugging is down, first it was dont die or you cost 10% rants, now its byoh, know it, dont suck etc etc. If that is the attitude why bother ?

I started opening up LFMs for quests I was running until I got some prat who thought leaving soul stones behind because people werent good enough was acceptable (Sad thing was all it did was slow down quest completion while I left one side and ran to the other to go get them. Mr Left Them Behind still had to wait until we got to where he was).

After that I havent bothered.

Since when did it become acceptable to treat people like trash because they cannot play the game the way you want them to ? What happened to the tolerance for new players and mistakes and just plain old bad luck.

After my experience in the weekend I will start making pugs again just for some balance

Edit (Love the title being cut off Pugging is down because of the attitude of the people pugging and the game being made easier to solo.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnly_LightInDark View Post
    Having been in a pug in the weekend where the drama was high and a lot of ranting from "Vets" about how they hate pugging and why other players suck, its no wonder people are prefering to solo or just run with static / guild. The number of pugs I have been in where this has happened is high.

The second pug of note was where we rushed through at breakneck speed no optionals no side chests and exploits to get to the end. This may have a time and place but I like to do the quest if I just wanted to pike for XP I would buy a stone or do gold roles.

Thats why pugging is down, first it was dont die or you cost 10% rants, now its byoh, know it, dont suck etc etc. If that is the attitude why bother ?

I started opening up LFMs for quests I was running until I got some prat who thought leaving soul stones behind because people werent good enough was acceptable (Sad thing was all it did was slow down quest completion while I left one side and ran to the other to go get them. Mr Left Them Behind still had to wait until we got to where he was).

After that I havent bothered.

Since when did it become acceptable to treat people like trash because they cannot play the game the way you want them to ? What happened to the tolerance for new players and mistakes and just plain old bad luck.

After my experience in the weekend I will start making pugs again just for some balance

Edit (Love the title being cut off Pugging is down because of the attitude of the people pugging and the game being made easier to solo.
    I rarely actually ever see this problem of Ghallanda anymore... also, I think Ghallanda pugs are up, because.. well, they are. They're at MOTU levels. Maybe even a bit higher.

pugging is dead in every server (not only gland) because:

a) vet with newbies = xp loss, prolly time loss

b) solo vs group = the scaling, u can see sometimes "worth the scaling"

get this 2, and add the bravery streak(and the bonus, too) so you have:

-vets want to run elite 1st time and move one asap, newbs and groups will make it longer in most cases

-newbies that form for certain quest that they don't know in elite, making ppl prefer not joining "because he/she doesn't know the quest, because i don't know him/her, because a) + b), because i already did it" and more reasons

don't blame yourself for not pugging, turbine killed it, you're only finishing it off

btw i solo 99% time because a+b but im ALWAYS looking at the lfm, because it gets boring sometimes and prefer losing my time and my xp to have some fun (nothing related with helping others, ofc) and u won't see me ever joining a group that will hit me with xp penalty, because a+b are assumptions, joining a group that has been 10 mins on quest + time i'll need to hit the quest - time remaining to complete the quest = guaranteed i'm gonna lose xp
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    pugging is dead in every server (not only gland) because:

a) vet with newbies = xp loss, prolly time loss

b) solo vs group = the scaling, u can see sometimes "worth the scaling"

get this 2, and add the bravery streak(and the bonus, too) so you have:

-vets want to run elite 1st time and move one asap, newbs and groups will make it longer in most cases

-newbies that form for certain quest that they don't know in elite, making ppl prefer not joining "because he/she doesn't know the quest, because i don't know him/her, because a) + b), because i already did it" and more reasons

don't blame yourself for not pugging, turbine killed it, you're only finishing it off

btw i solo 99% time because a+b but im ALWAYS looking at the lfm, because it gets boring sometimes and prefer losing my time and my xp to have some fun (nothing related with helping others, ofc) and u won't see me ever joining a group that will hit me with xp penalty, because a+b are assumptions, joining a group that has been 10 mins on quest + time i'll need to hit the quest - time remaining to complete the quest = guaranteed i'm gonna lose xp

My experience lately is that it isn't the newbies dying, it's the vets (myself included) who zerg off to fast or get too cocky (or some of us are just not as good as we think).

Then we blame lag.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    My experience lately is that it isn't the newbies dying, it's the vets (myself included) who zerg off to fast or get too cocky (or some of us are just not as good as we think).

Then we blame lag.
    agree'd
    Happens to me all the time, I am rushing so fast to catch up with the zergers that I don't realize that there is a trap or that I need to time my jump. I have died a lot of times doing that!

I even caught myself using the lag excuse too, it may have contributed to my demise, but I actually could have run along the side of the bridge (Sorrow Isles) to avoid the sonic trap in the first place (I also forgot we don't have that buff on our ship!).

I have been having trouble finding any groups in the last week also. My level range is that tricky 11-16 so I guess its more solo runs. I will post for people to join though, but likely we will not have BB as I can only open normal. I have limited time to run quests so waiting too long would mean I can't run at all. Upside is running a quest 3 times in a row (Norm, hard, elite) is teaching / reminding me the ins and outs of quests.

Seems my guild mates are very helpful and supporting but just so few EU based and at my level!

Community Member

Default Pugs..... Ewwwwwww

Maybe because 90% of the time I can get things done faster by myself, rather than waiting for a group. If its a raid where 2 or more are required, then okay. Mostly though, I dont like explaining quests to people who havent run them, I dont like taking the inevitable 10% because someone either thinks they are tough or doesnt know how to play, I dont like waiting for people to re-buff all the time ( cause you know, cant run without buffs.... ) etc. Even if I could complete a certain quest faster with others, id still rather solo because in the long run, each life goes faster that way. Guild / friend runs are the exception.

One reason for me to not PuG is that you can (not as a newbie maybe) solo nearly every quest on elite at lvl or duo it. There is simply no reason to PuG to finish the quest. If elite were as difficult that you would need
    a whole group or even a healer then you would see more Pugs. Atm I´m lvling up one of my chars with a friend with bb elite streak and we have not needed to put up a lfm for any quest. For vets it´s just faster to solo/duo
    instead of pugging.
    But soloing is kind of boring for me so I put up some lfms from time to time and the feeling that they don´t fill up I do have since 2010.

greetz Insii
    ~ Circle of Light ~
    ~ Insii ~ Angelander ~ Excanta ~ Lysara ~ Lovise ~

Then we blame lag.
    LOL.

I had something similar to that leveling my rogue in a couple of House K. runs. Guys who can clearly zerg because stuff goes down quick, yet something happens and it’s me – the squishy rogue – and a newb wizzy that’s got to make it to the next rest shrine with a backpack full of stones.

It is a fleeting moment of self-aggrandizement that will probably not happen again for some time to come…

Default This

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonwelder View Post
    PUGs just slow me down. I have limited times to play and I am not wasting time waiting for Johnny Slowmedown to get his buffs, hit House K for pots etc....I want to log in - get buffed and hit a quest and start....not mill around the entrance waiting for a likely 10% penalty.

Nowadays I run with guildies OR solo - occassionally if I am in the mood I will join a pug that is doing exactly what I want and is almost full. Even more rarely I will put up an LFM but that is usually only for farming a quest or two (say Orchard stuff) where having more people does make it go alot faster and I expect to be at it for a while.

Now if everyone who joined a PUG was ready to go then I would probably PUG more but experience tells me people join to get a spot then start their buffing....please don't look at the LFM panel until you are done your basic maintenance.

Oh....and Get Off My Lawn.....damn kids....(puts false teeth back in)....yes I am feeling old and jaded.
    If I had PUGged more I would still be 8 lives out for completionist.

I can play for about 2 hours a night during weeknights. When I log in, I check LFM panel EVERY night. If there are fewer than 3 people in a PUG, I don't join, mostly because in the past I would join, they would want to wait for some class that is either just not going to join (like an all melee group with a "Healer needed for HLZ ONLY PLZ"), or spend 20 minutes comparing gear, or arguing over who has awesomerer stats, or just jacking around. So I usually just join almost full PUGs, and am always buffed before I do join so I can hop right in.

I think the above statement is why PUGging is way down, and it is only exacerbated by the fact that after the soloers, who are usually the most knowledgeable, then the "healers", then the guild only players are taken out of the proverbial PUG gene pool, you are left with probably 75% lowest common denominator as far as not only game knowledge but general MMORPG manners in general. This leaves bad tastes in the mouths of those who would deign to try PUGs every once in a while, creating more soloers, and the cycle repeats itself.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Thumbs up Or that

Then we blame lag.
    Yes, can we please, as a server, stop with the "lag" EVERY time we die? When I die, I will say "Wow, X monster hits hard" or "Whoops" or "Grandmaaaa!!!!!" but NEVER blame lag. Lag has been the cause of me dying a sum total of 3 times, PERIOD. You'd be amazed how many people ONLY get the lag monster when they run off on their own
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

I've got two characters mid/low teens and been hitting desert -> GH with both of them. Pugging, sometimes starting my own, sometimes joining.

Very active PUGs in that range. Sometimes you get great players, sometimes you get me but usually everyone has been pleasant as well.

Plenty of pug action.

Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    Yes, can we please, as a server, stop with the "lag" EVERY time we die? When I die, I will say "Wow, X monster hits hard" or "Whoops" or "Grandmaaaa!!!!!" but NEVER blame lag. Lag has been the cause of me dying a sum total of 3 times, PERIOD. You'd be amazed how many people ONLY get the lag monster when they run off on their own
    Heh - exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post

Hey...ummm...that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' with it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast