Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why do you think PUG-ing is down on our server

I used to PUG almost exclusively on G-Land. Now? I got seven toons, and unless I'm lvl 10 or lower, the PUG scene is a wasteland. Lots of advertised solo runs, it is difficult at best to get a dedicated healer, and a lot of runs basically go bust because there are not enough people to fill them. I mean, I used to have no problems at all getting into a PUG, or getting into a group and have a high probability that it would fill. Nowadays? Notsomuch.

Do you think it is an influx of solo-only players, or something else?

I personally have noticed that the runs that fill quickly, and most often seem to be F2P - Lords of Dust, Servants of the Overlord, and so on. Anyone else agree?

Just curiious what other people on the server think.

Community Member

Cant say Ive noticed a significant drop in PuGs personally.

The Cleric issue is the age old story - only a few PuG due to the usual reasons. I used to PuG mine but stopped after a run in with a couple of players in a G-Land guild (i got the blame for their ineptitude imo). I stopped PuGging him from that day and now just run in guild.

I happily PuG my non-Divines though

Perhaps its a timezone issue for you?

Lv.25 healer here.

Same problem: no groups unless it's the Party Hour. Guessing people have an hour or two to spend after work/school, for the listing gets populated. Otherwise Ghallanda is void of players. I have tried several times to make a group of my own, hawking in the listing for half an hour, but there's never enough people for EEs.

So nowdays I just check the LFM-postings and if it's empty, I log out and play something else instead. Sad state for the game. Turbine really should merge Ghallanda with another server with more EU-players.
    Last edited by EndingDoe; 05-30-2013 at 05:11 AM.

I think the change to renown decay hurt LFMs. Once the penalty for having more players in a guild went away, small guilds got absorbed into the high level large guilds. People in large guilds often run with guildies instead of putting up an LFM.

As for my divine, as a third life I probably soloed half or two-thirds of the content until 12 since I could open elite, pugging the rest. At level 12 I pugged into a TR group who, after several days of me joining their LFMs they invited me into their channel. Now I have a large guild and a channel to group with. Yeah, my divine doesn't pug anymore.

Community Member

Pugging EE's!!! . You are the healer we are all looking for. :-)
    I personally kinda dislike healing pugs . Main reason people solo and so are used to their own healing hire(which tend to die regularly!). So personally and i expect quite a few others can't actually keep 5 players healed and alive. Also this insist-ance on running elite(herioc aswel) that many people are not capable of(inc me s/times)is off putting.

It's great to Pug with people playing for fun/entertainment. Hmm next lfm 'for fun not prizes'
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

I pug about 75% of the time, though to be honest all of them are byoh's or be self sufficient.

I'll do this whether I'm on a divine or a barb, as well as irregardless if its a lvl 10 quest or EE Tor
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I ran Where there is Smoke ELITE on a level 4, first life 28 hit point rogue, never TRd, no guild buffs, using a hireling cleric. One shotted two times at the first dog area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    Go munt your grandma while wearing my freeway mitt!
    Main toons on G-land: IronMunter, Iamhal, Mehhh, Dahh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan220 View Post
    Perhaps its a timezone issue for you?
    Been running in the same timezone for a couple of years now (I believe) - around 800 pm - 1:30 am EST. Never had too many problems in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by EndingDoe View Post
    Lv.25 healer here.

Same problem: no groups unless it's the Party Hour. Guessing people have an hour or two to spend after work/school, for the listing gets populated. Otherwise Ghallanda is void of players. I have tried several times to make a group of my own, hawking in the listing for half an hour, but there's never enough people for EEs.

So nowdays I just check the LFM-postings and if it's empty, I log out and play something else instead. Sad state for the game. Turbine really should merge Ghallanda with another server with more EU-players.
    From what I've seen, there are LOTS of players online. Whenever I check the Who panel, its pretty chock-full of people. I don;t think population is actually the issue.

BTW, when is this "Party Hour"?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I think the change to renown decay hurt LFMs. Once the penalty for having more players in a guild went away, small guilds got absorbed into the high level large guilds. People in large guilds often run with guildies instead of putting up an LFM.
    I think that's probably the case. That and there are just more solo players out there. My guild has a fair number of members (we're not large at all), but maybe 2 - 3 on at a time. And when they are on, there is little interest of any of them outside of a few that I know well, who want to run stuff as a group.

That and time conflicts.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    it is difficult at best to get a dedicated healer
    Did they removed hirelings?
    Because thats all the healing you need, outside of EEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Did they removed hirelings?
    Because thats all the healing you need, outside of EEs.
    PUGs just slow me down. I have limited times to play and I am not wasting time waiting for Johnny Slowmedown to get his buffs, hit House K for pots etc....I want to log in - get buffed and hit a quest and start....not mill around the entrance waiting for a likely 10% penalty.

Nowadays I run with guildies OR solo - occassionally if I am in the mood I will join a pug that is doing exactly what I want and is almost full. Even more rarely I will put up an LFM but that is usually only for farming a quest or two (say Orchard stuff) where having more people does make it go alot faster and I expect to be at it for a while.

Now if everyone who joined a PUG was ready to go then I would probably PUG more but experience tells me people join to get a spot then start their buffing....please don't look at the LFM panel until you are done your basic maintenance.

Oh....and Get Off My Lawn.....damn kids....(puts false teeth back in)....yes I am feeling old and jaded.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Default PUG issue

G-land was already merged with another server. And at one time the Devs asked that new and newer players to log on to G-land. Maybe the Lfms are down because Everyone here is in a guild and runs with guild. Or maybe the reason you can't get a group is because you are looking for one and not starting one? Anyways G-land has many solid players and we don't need a merge with another server, I played through that once before, and I hope not to again

I've just returned to the game really after an extended hiatus. I took one look at an unrecognisable endgame and TR'd my main, having just returned to 20 this weekend. I pugged 99% of my quests and only had one minor mishap. There were a few times where I struggled to find something happening in my level range over the course of a fortnight but in general I'd say pugging was pretty vibrant on Ghallanda.

There was a considerable increase in TRs compared to 2011, and most groups ran pretty smoothly. If I could chart a difference in the 18 months or so its probably an increase in BYOH lfms, but even as a fighter/barb chugging CSW pots at a rate of knots managed to get by, probably about 150k in the hole on pots, but I'd rather take that expense than wait 10 minutes per run for a dedicated healer.

The point has been made, which I think is on the money, that a lot of players tend not to pug out spots right up to the Vale or so. I wouldn't fret too much about that. DDO is a social game and in my opinion these sort of players lose out somewhat on making new connections and people to play with. As one astute player observed "as the game naturally contracts, we will start to see more of each other." This is true, when duo or three man tr buds start to see their friends play other games they have decide whether they want to take a chance on the general populace or not. Those that decide in favour of the negative will most likely fall by the wayside, and the community won't mourn their passing too much. The remainder can join the rest of us and have some fun.

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

It does seem a bit quiet lately, but then these days I typically have less time to burn in a session so I have to choose the task/quest of the day somewhat carefully. Running a monk life I'll put up an LFM while buffing/omw and hit it. Sometimes someone has joined before I get to the entrance, and sometimes they're even there before me. But probably half my runs never have anyone join (do they know me that well), and the majority of joins are when I/we are over half way through the quest. Should it wipe, the chances of getting at least a couple of extra group members probably doubles.

Pretty much every LFM I post that has a fair proportion of traps, or at least some nasty ones, is posted with "trapper wanted" or such mostly for the benefit of non-evasion toons, and of course hirelings, but it's rare for one of those to hit the group before completion. Eg a Made to Order run yesterday - duo + hireling wiped thanks to badly timed mines followed by overwhelming mobs, and we restarted and filled during run 2 - no rogue or arty levels at all between us let alone trap skills.

I'm getting in the habit of using abundant step to set traps off before those behind me can find it with their non-evasion faces...
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Meetch1972 View Post
    I'm getting in the habit of using abundant step to set traps off before those behind me can find it with their non-evasion faces...
    Hey thats my face!

Barbachop/Fizzburn/Politikills & Boaby - Omnipresence,Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by keefer1 View Post
    G-land was already merged with another server. And at one time the Devs asked that new and newer players to log on to G-land. Maybe the Lfms are down because Everyone here is in a guild and runs with guild. Or maybe the reason you can't get a group is because you are looking for one and not starting one? Anyways G-land has many solid players and we don't need a merge with another server, I played through that once before, and I hope not to again
    I've tried starting a few. Some of them, there were absolutely NO takers.

It seems to me that there are a decent amount of PUGs for Vale, the Lordsmarch stuff, the series with Sane Asylum, the Lords of Dust series, and at low levels. Hitting upper level content, there has been a considerable drop-off on the Amrath stuff, Orchard, and epics in general. I rarely see Chronoscope being run nowadays (which I think, overall, is a fun run). Someone else has pointed out that epic pugs are a virtual wasteland.

I'm in a pretty tight static group now, and that will probably remain the case for the time being given the PUG scene I'm looking at.

I used to really like the PUG scene, and the inconsistently of it all (player makeup, and ability). Sometimes having a couple of borderline players 0 especially the ones who kinda already knew they were borderline - was sorta fun.

TRs don't want to take a risk on PUGing, in terms of time or XP loss, so they group in exclusivity with friends or guildies. They don't bother to post LFMS, or read em... waste of time.

True Reincarnation is why the PUG scene took a hit, more then any other factor.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldRemembers View Post
    TRs don't want to take a risk on PUGing, in terms of time or XP loss, so they group in exclusivity with friends or guildies. They don't bother to post LFMS, or read em... waste of time.

True Reincarnation is why the PUG scene took a hit, more then any other factor.
    Not entirely true: if there would be no TRing, all those uber vets would simply cap their toons once, and after creating 10 of them, they would never pug again.

At least few of them throws an lfm some time, while TRing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Not entirely true: if there would be no TRing, all those uber vets would simply cap their toons once, and after creating 10 of them, they would never pug again.

At least few of them throws an lfm some time, while TRing.

I just returned to the game and have been back just over a month. It seems the only people still playing are the people willing to do True Res.

I've joined three guilds looking for people to play with and the all seem to solo when people are on.

I've look for groups just about every night between 6 to 11 EST and if there are any groups they have elite BB. I've joined a few of those with the two new characters I've started both Warforged, one wizard and other Artificer. That wasn't any fun any fun and was extremely boring.

I even posted on the forms here to find a groups.

I was really hoping to get back into the game, but between the crafting system, inventory scam, and lack of groups I think I need to go elsewhere. I just wish I hadn't spent the money doing the reincarnation on my two highest level characters. I should have waited for the new enhancement thing.

Live and learn.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Two Words :

Retarded Streak.

That's what kills pugging.

Now the old system had some drawbacks, but at least you had lots of pugs as trying to max out your XP required you to tackle quests way over your party level, and you couldn't do that soloing with just a Drone or two.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast