Default Dear marketing people, here's my money, let me buy more Monster Manuals please!

Please, make more Volumes for the Monster Manual, I will buy every single one of them!

I'm not the kind of that buys in to the fluff. I do not care for pets, as I see it, their only purpose is to clutter up my screen. Neither do I like buying stuff that boosts your characters, like tomes of Fate and those new skill tomes, as they defeat the purpose of actually playing the game to me. Power should be gained through gameplay, not credit card.

What I do want to buy is of course, content (quests, races, classes), but these take a lot more time to make, that I understand. What doesn't seem to take very long to make is Volumes for the Monster Manual. It seems like one volume per update wouldn't be that much effort on your part now that the mechanic is in place. A lot of players are interested in them, either for the lore, the stats information, the small xp bonuses, the fun of finding every single type of a monster, or simply because we like to have a tracker for our kill count.

These are low-hanging fruits for you guys, as much as pets, make the most of it. A lot of us are ready to pay for these and sadly you aren't releasing any. Please take our money.
    Last edited by Ovrad; 05-28-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo

I agree 100%

I would love to get more frequent Monster Manual volumes. But based on the bugs we see in the MM, I'm pretty sure that every single mob in the game has to be manually updated to be included in the MM, so each volume not only has a huge upfront effort but also causes ongoing maintenance problems - see the fact that the humans and wolves in the U18 quests aren't in the MM for example.

Sadly it appears the design of the MM is such that it's actually a pretty big effort to give us more. Something that should have been *cheap* to produce is instead quite expensive, and so we don't get nearly as many as we'd pay for. There should be a new volume with each Update, but instead we're getting them every 3 updates or so at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
    Sadly it appears the design of the MM is such that it's actually a pretty big effort to give us more.
    You might be right. Although I can't help but think that it's not that much work; it should be only a tag on each monster to identify his type. Some might be mistagged (mostly in older quests), which would cause them to not register. With bug reports, it should be easy enough to fix.

No I really feel it's simply lacking attention. For example, they still haven't given the outsider category a proper icon, after 2 updates. That's about 5 mins of work, tops.
    Last edited by Ovrad; 05-28-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    I agree 100%
    I'd love some more MM's too.

However, I don't quite understand why the cosmetic pets are only cosmetic.
    Why not make them actually usefull in some little ways.
    For example, if you have a pet following you, you get some small bonus to skills or something. Like:

Wolf Cub: +1 spot and listen
    Kobold Shaman: +20 SP
    Golem: +5 HP
    Cranium Rat: +3 universal spellpower
    Earth Elemental: +2 acid resist
    Rust Monster: +5 acid spell power
    etc. etc.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Because it is in our favor

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeGirl View Post
    I'd love some more MM's too.

However, I don't quite understand why the cosmetic pets are only cosmetic.
    Why not make them actually usefull in some little ways.
    For example, if you have a pet following you, you get some small bonus to skills or something. Like:

Wolf Cub: +1 spot and listen
    Kobold Shaman: +20 SP
    Golem: +5 HP
    Cranium Rat: +3 universal spellpower
    Earth Elemental: +2 acid resist
    Rust Monster: +5 acid spell power
    etc. etc.
    Plus, by making a cosmetic pet that does absolutely nothing sucks up TP from some players. Why? I have no idea why people want those pets. I personally think the pets actually add lag, because my graphics card has to draw everyone of them and they do absolutely nothing for the player in the game. It is wasted object drawing.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post
    You might be right. Although I can't help but think that it's not that much work; it should be only a tag on each monster to identify his type. Some might be mistagged (mostly in older quests), which would cause them to not register. With bug reports, it should be easy enough to fix.
    I have to agree that it should be trivial. Every mob an instance of a class, with a common abstract base class at the root of the hierarchy. The abstract base class does a table look up into the Monster Manual, and increments the appropriate counter. Once implemented, the exterminator totals should be flat out automatic, with some additional work required to add unique mobs into the hunter deeds. Really, this is a trivial programming task for any experienced software engineer.

The fact that neither humans nor wolves, both existing Monster Manual types, are being recorded in new quests for exterminators implies that, for whatever reason, the process is much more labor intensive than that. That goes a long way in explaining why the MM is so buggy, and does not bode well for how fast new MMs can be rolled out.

A pity, as I too enjoy the MMs, and wish that there were more of them.