Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Community Member

The situation of a company evolves (or changes) much faster and what this mean is that a company will apply those changes whenever they think it will be profitable. It's not a conspiracy or anything of the kind.

Like in everything else, unless you wanna whine forever there are 2 options:

1. Stick with it.
    2. Go away.

Anything in between will most likely result in making anyone guesses and be mad about it. It's not necessary and even less worth it. If you wanna set the rules, it has to be your business... that's just how things work every single day.

I don't understand why does it seem even more important and tragic when it's about a GAME (hobby) that cost a pocket of change / month. And even less perhaps since alot of people have said they are not even VIP since it's totally not worth it to them... It's like a way to screw you up, nothing else. While in fact it's an option that you may or may not chose. Same goes with the expansion. If you like the game at the moment and are enjoying yourself playing, what the hell will the expansion change anything about that if you just... DON'T buy it?

Take it as if it was the inflation that should have kicked in through the monthly subs or maybe even it's something that cost more money to them because it took more work than just a pack I don't know... but just accept it or not and carry on. There is nothing you can/should do about it.

Maybe if it was ridiculously priced but not even... it's frigging 30$ and the longer it last, the cheaper it gets in term of money for hobby.

No need to bring philosophy in here, it's a business decision.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Where exactly is this contract people are talking about? I'm sure if you somehow have a unlimited lifetime contract with turbine to get ALL future content included with your VIP Subscription you would have a great case to bring to a lawyer...

Me.. I just agreed to a license... never signed a contract....

its just a game folks. If ya dont like turbines rules. dont play. If you dont value the VIP sub. dont subscribe.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Where exactly is this contract people are talking about? I'm sure if you somehow have a unlimited lifetime contract with turbine to get ALL future content included with your VIP Subscription you would have a great case to bring to a lawyer...

its just a game folks. If ya dont like turbines rules. dont play. If you dont value the VIP sub. dont subscribe.
    Yep... The ME ME ME I WANT IT ALL FOR FREE has replaced common sense. It's just sad that people would be in such a bad mood about a game while they pay stuff like an Iphone which the only goal is to create new needs into people lifestyle to drain their money. That's much more nasty.

"Expansion" is just the new word for "quest pack", in order to charge more.

my 2c
    Casters should be able to multiclass too!
    Give us our own version of a BAB! - Publication:Unearthed Arcana/Magic Rating

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueToo View Post
    "Expansion" is just the new word for "quest pack", in order to charge more.

my 2c
    It is. So what? What can you do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    It is. So what? What can you do about it?
    not buy it and quit the game in disgust a few months from now when my gear and characters are outdated.
    Casters should be able to multiclass too!
    Give us our own version of a BAB! - Publication:Unearthed Arcana/Magic Rating

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueToo View Post
    not buy it and quit the game in disgust a few months from now when my gear and characters are outdated.
    That's one of the 2 options, and possibly the one I will also take but without being disgusted about it. At least for a couple months... free break yay!

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    Yep... The ME ME ME I WANT IT ALL FOR FREE has replaced common sense. It's just sad that people would be in such a bad mood about a game while they pay stuff like an Iphone which the only goal is to create new needs into people lifestyle to drain their money. That's much more nasty.
    I'm not VIP so don't jump all over me as well, but "I want it all for free" doesn't actually apply to people who are paying a subscription...

<rolleyes>

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I'm not VIP so don't jump all over me as well, but "I want it all for free" doesn't actually apply to people who are paying a subscription...

<rolleyes>
    It was a general statement that applies to life in general. I've been VIP for as long as i've played myself and the only reason I won't buy this is because the epic levels don't appeal to me at all. It's not because I wanna boycott Turbine since they're into a "conspiracy" to make profit.

I'd have no problem paying for it if I was interrested. I don't think this matters at all... VIP or not.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post

IF there was a statement (I don't know one way or the other) that "VIPs will get all the content for free", then that is a type of contract. Of course that is balanced by "Turbine may update this Agreement at its sole discretion..." etc.

If I was a subscriber anymore, I might be upset about the fact that I'm expected to pay for every tiny addition to content that they decide to call an "expansion". Heck, I'm a little upset that its so small anyway. I might not be upset about paying for expansions if being a subscriber meant I got a lot of other significant perks. As it is, I don't blame them for being upset since I don't believe VIP perks are very good.

Community Member

IF there was a statement (I don't know one way or the other) that "VIPs will get all the content for free", then that is a type of contract. Of course that is balanced by "Turbine may update this Agreement at its sole discretion..." etc.

If I was a subscriber anymore, I might be upset about the fact that I'm expected to pay for every tiny addition to content that they decide to call an "expansion". Heck, I'm a little upset that its so small anyway. I might not be upset about paying for expansions if being a subscriber meant I got a lot of other significant perks. As it is, I don't blame them for being upset since I don't believe VIP perks are very good.
    All valid points. All good reasons to be upset. I didn't mean to say they're doing it the right way, praise Turbine. Maybe it's how it sounded, I don't know but it's not what I meant.

My point is in the end you have 2 choices because it's the company that takes decisions. Whining won't change anything and will most likely only lead to hurt whoever does it and then affect (negatively) other once posted since people are usually better at following then making their opinions based on how they personally feel about it.

Edit: Voicing your opinions about it in a well written fashion with reasons why, sure that has to be done. But what comes after... zzz whining zzz
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 07-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Community Member

As it is, I don't blame them for being upset since I don't believe VIP perks are very good.
    NOTE: Not picking on you just using what you said.

This is where Turbine messed up and I hope they learned from this whole mess. The only perk they should of gave to VIPs was access to all content, minus expansions, classes and races. Any thing extra should of been store only or on top of sub. For example, want elite unlock an extra dollar or so a month on top of sub.

All they did was create a huge divide in their player base and a we deserve the world attitude from their subscribers.

Hope it was lesson learned if they ever come out with DDO2.

bah vips need to get on their hands and knees and kiss the toe rings of turbines hairy knuckled bunions! bwahahaha.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Default If it's nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    I love the game and support it by being vip. It just amazes me how much a few people gripe on the forums. Don't they realize no one wants to hear them complain like a small child does. $10 a month is nothing, definitely not worth complaining about having to buy expansion packs.
    I'll shoot you my paypal and you can send me 10 dollars a month. I will NEVER change my terms, EVER.

If I pay for a service, I am allowed the right to complain when I feel slighted by said service. I also have the right to ignore it and quietly accept whatever is going on. I think OP is complaining because he sees where this COULD be going and doesn't like it.

What's to stop Turbine from calling EVERY new update an expansion? What's to stop them from making us pay for each new class? What's to stop them from making us pay to access "Forgotten Realm augments" for our weapons?

Nothing. That's what.

I am a VIP. I have not hit rock bottom yet to where I am thinking of cancelling my sub, and truth be told until logging in requires I be chewed on by rabid wolves for an hour each time I will NOT cancel my subscription, and depending on WHAT said dogs chew on I might not even cancel it then (Mmmm....), but I begrudge no one for voicing their opinions. If you don't voice your opinion, then Turbine assumes they are going down the right track. Then they will assume going a little farther wouldn't hurt anyone. Then all of a sudden you have to pay $0.10 a minute to stay connected to their servers and each sword swing costs 1 astral shard. Slippery slope? I say verily.

And yes, I watch every UFO special on Discovery Channel and believe them.... I thought we all did?
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Something like

We've had every argument about this already with the MotU.

Whether you consider the Shadowfell Conspiracy worthy of being an "expansion" is irrelevant, Turbine do and they set the ground rules. I'm not defending them here as it's pretty clear that upping the level cap to 28 and the new enhancement pass isn't part of an "expansion", you'll get that regardless. It's then down to a personal choice whether you want to purchase access to the new content or not.
    First, you – and a lot of other people – only bothered to read what you wanted to read out of my posts.

Yeah, they can change the agreement any time they want. However, you do that at the risk of ruining your reputation (which Turbine has done with many, and is doing so now). There is a stark difference between legalities and what’s right. It is infantile to sit there and characterize what I’ve been saying as stomping my feet at the beach because of the tide. What Turbine has done isn’t of much concern to me. I have a lot of power in how I deal with them from now on: I can stay or leave.

What really bothers me the most is how people choose to justify it as being no big deal. That’s the insidious part.

I guess I’m one of those few who, when he makes a promise makes a good-faith effort at keeping it. That is what good business practices are SUPPOSED to be about. Instead I get a bunch of sycophants running around citing me the Terms and Conditions, and lecturing me about how “MMOs actually work.” I’ve been in the software business for WELL over 20 years. I know how this licensing and ELUA game is played. I’ve also seen people get successfully sued for what Turbine essentially has done.

So please, don’t lecture me on this issue. I’ve been here before (not at a personal level, mind you). I know better.

What some people count on when they take these types of actions is that their base is broad enough, and the amount of money they charge is minimal enough that it is more cost than it is worth to litigate. So they get away with it, in many instances.

That changes when there are substantial sums involved.

I know what’s going on here as I’ve seen it before. Spare me the further illustrations of what I already know.

And stop necro-ing threads on this subject (yeah, I know you didn’t do it, but just saying that to the audience in general).

You know, if Turbine came out to the VIPs and said they needed to increase subscription rates because of the costs involved with the new expansion – or made any sort of justification that even has the slightest odor of legitimacy – you’d get some of them who would pay it, and some of them that wouldn’t. But, at the very least, a lot of people would’ve been informed at the very least for the price increase. There is a good chance that many of them would have simply paid the additional subscription rates.

Instead they came out with this “expansion,” essentially told the VIPs to go fly a kite. And did this last-minute change to their terms because “they could,” and then everybody ran around acting like it was no big deal.

An idiot with half a function brain could have predicted how a lot of the VIP crowd would have reacted with this whole “expansion” thing (as much of a crock as it is). Either the decision-makers at Turbine wanted this kind of reaction, or didn’t have the good sense to come out of the rain. Both possibilities baffle me. Your business lives and dies based on your reputation with your customers – the longtime ones especially so. If they want VIP to go away, why don’t they just say so, and let the VIPs know as well. They got my e-mail address. You’d figure that is they can create a video game with complex graphics, deep TCP/IP communications connectivity, and lots of business rules they could EASILY send out a mass e-mail…

Maybe I expect too much of them.
    If they want to keep VIPs around, maybe someone at Turbine should pull their head out of their rectum. Because, frankly, pulling this kind of **** isn’t going to keep that group of customers around and happy.

So again, you can sit there and cite me legalities. That is the shallow end of a much deeper pool.

Calling Shadowfail an "expansion" is like calling a sun-shower a "Sharknado."

Shadowfail is two quest packs with no raid. That does not make an expansion. This would be as ridiculous as bundling up Druid's Deep with High Road and calling it an expansion.

This is a blatant rip-off of the customers and should not be supported by us. I advise everyone wait until it's on sale in a few weeks and buy it then. It will go on sale for a fire-sale price, everything does.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Great, so now contractual agreements are allowed to “evolve.”

I got a great idea: go out, sign a fixed mortgage with a bank that has that same philosophy. When you’re paying double than what you agreed to, because the bank decided that its mortgage division needed to “evolve,” tell me how happy you are that you’re not “living in the past” anymore.
    VIP isn't a 30-year contract... At most, it's a 1-year contract, for many people it's a month-to-month contract.

They absolutely can rewrite the contract every time it expires, and you can choose to take the new terms or not.

It's like you walking into a mortgage company and saying I want a 3.25% rate not a 4.00% rate because you guys offered 3.25% just a year ago. How dare you change it!

You are going to have a long, miserable, and impoverished life ahead of you with this kind of mindset.
    Maybe someday you'll get to the point in your life where $8 a month doesn't cause you so much angst.
    Last edited by Thrudh; 07-24-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Most_Shady View Post
    NOTE: Not picking on you just using what you said.

This is where Turbine messed up and I hope they learned from this whole mess. The only perk they should of gave to VIPs was access to all content, minus expansions, classes and races. Any thing extra should of been store only or on top of sub. For example, want elite unlock an extra dollar or so a month on top of sub.

All they did was create a huge divide in their player base and a we deserve the world attitude from their subscribers.

Hope it was lesson learned if they ever come out with DDO2.
    I think that Turbine wanted to be competitive with the other MMOs out there...

<rolleyes>

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    First, you – and a lot of other people – only bothered to read what you wanted to read out of my posts.

<snip>

So again, you can sit there and cite me legalities. That is the shallow end of a much deeper pool.
    I can only reply to what you post. Your post that I replied to stated your agreement was fixed in perpetuity. I'm sorry if you don't like that the TOS clearly states this isn't the case.

If you have the experience that you state then I really don't understand why you're getting your knickers in a twist over this. It's not new and we've all been here before.

There are too many holes in your post for me pick every one of them, but are you calling a change to their TOS a year ago as "last-minute"?

I can agree with people who are concerned about the quantity or quality of content that can be packed as an "expansion", but I have no time for people who are still banging on about the fact that your VIP subscription doesn't cover expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Maybe someday you'll get to the point in your life where $8 a month doesn't cause you so much angst.
    Some people are broke, some are kids, etc . . .

In this day and age you're really gonna insult somebody based on their lack of spending money?

Stay classy.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast