Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Is the Shield Spell working correctly?

Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be. I was initially concerned that after the last update the shield spell was not working after 1 min.

Running elite The Black Loch - Casters in there were wearing me out. I kept looking to see if shield was on and yes it was but I was taking full damage from their magic missiles.

Running elite Haywire Foundry - Casters magic missiles were completely blocked.

I have not gone back to the Black Loch to verify but am wondering if maybe they were not casting mm? Anyone else seeing problems with shield and magic missile?

They could have been casting Chain Missiles. The initial missile from Chain Missiles is blocked by Shield. The chained missiles will bypass Shield, even if the initial one was blocked.

Apart from that and the Wizard pastlife feat, I haven't noticed any other oddities with magic missiles.

If something next to you gets hit with magic missle you may just take the hit, shield or not.

I seem to remember that soon after (most) 1-minute-per-caster-level spells were changed to have a minimum duration of 5 minutes, it was discussed on the forums that there was apparently a bug with the Shield spell, that the AC bonus lasted the correct amount of time, but the MM defence lasted only 1 minute.

Indeed, from the old "Update 14 broken things master list (MoTU edition)" thread: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...otU-Edition%29
    Shield

Items which cast Shield now last 5 minutes however the protection against Magic Missle's only lasts for the first minute. (Just like in early Beta)
    I don't remember now if I heard that it affected actual spells, or just clickies...

Community Member

Default Shield limitations

This is what came to me first. I wondered if maybe this old bug was back. But it seemed to work correcly in the other quest. I will go test some. I was under the impression that Shield stopped all force missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    I seem to remember that soon after (most) 1-minute-per-caster-level spells were changed to have a minimum duration of 5 minutes, it was discussed on the forums that there was apparently a bug with the Shield spell, that the AC bonus lasted the correct amount of time, but the MM defence lasted only 1 minute.

Indeed, from the old "Update 14 broken things master list (MoTU edition)" thread: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...otU-Edition%29

I don't remember now if I heard that it affected actual spells, or just clickies...

It is probably bugged AGAIN, shield spell is supposed to block magic missile as well as chain missile, but was never meant to block force missile as they are not considered the same as MM or CM. Yes all of them do force damage but FM is a unique form of force projectile, this is all speculation mind you.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default What Urist says

Actually, I think I was the poster that first pointed this out. Then MrCow or another legendary poster came in and said how the Shield Spell only blocks MMs for the one minute but the shield AC is active for the full five minutes.

My post was about shield clickies.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!