Default Looking for advice

I am wondering if there is a melee class that would suit for a casual player. Most the time I am playing in the Europe time window, thus finding groups is a bit problematic. Even on the german server Wayfinder.

I understand there are builds and paths. Paths being pre made builds offered by the game, while builds are made by the community.
    Is there a melee path/build you would recommend for a casual player? Fighter or Paladin maybe with Cleric or Thief levels for the Trap part? What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Codebaker View Post
    I am wondering if there is a melee class that would suit for a casual player. Most the time I am playing in the Europe time window, thus finding groups is a bit problematic. Even on the german server Wayfinder.

I understand there are builds and paths. Paths being pre made builds offered by the game, while builds are made by the community.
    Is there a melee path/build you would recommend for a casual player? Fighter or Paladin maybe with Cleric or Thief levels for the Trap part? What would you suggest?
    Wayfinder is probably the most dead server period at all timezones. Try Thelanis or Khyber if you want an easier time finding people.

First off, ignore the paths. Second, it sounds to me like you're wanting either a paladin or a ranger.

Try looking at exploiter builds on the forums. They are built with mostly ranger levels, with a splash of rogue and usually monk or fighter. Rangers get lots of skill points, so it's not hard to keep your trapskills up to par. Their advantage is in their versatility. They can switch between melee and ranged combat, have useful buffs, and can self-heal.

On the other hand, paladins can be extremely durable. They're harder to mix with the rogue class, but most of the time you can get through quests without a locksmith.

You may also want to find a guild. Even if your guild-mates aren't on when you are, guild buffs from even a low-level airship can make a big difference in how easy it is to complete quests.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Wayfinder is probably the most dead server period at all timezones. Try Thelanis or Khyber if you want an easier time finding people.
    This.

Try any server but Wayfinder. Let this site show you why: http://ddoracle.com/Traffic.html
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

As another euro time zone player I've been jumping around the servers to see which is best and I've found that Cannith and Ghallanda are pretty active. While Khyber and Thelanis are the bigger servers, they can be pretty quiet in the peak time for the eurozone. There are also more guilds for europeans on Cannith and Ghallanda.

Do you have access to the half-elf race, as taking the cleric dilly can be very helpful for solo running melees? You can run a pure fighter build with cleric dilly, but must start with a wisdom of 13.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I dont like the name of the Exploiter build, so I am going to rule it out.

Yes I have access to the 1/2 11 race. (German joke meaning half elf)

I was thinking about a dark elf paladin.
    Is this build still valid?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...43#post3012043

As for the server, I moved recently to Thelanis. It is like you said and rather quite around the day. Going to try Cannith.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I was thinking about a dark elf paladin.
    Is this build still valid?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...43#post3012043
    Eh.. I'm not an expert, but that build looks -very- average. I'd look for a more recent pally build, in all seriousness. It should be okay, but you could do much better imo.

And no, the exploiter doesn't exploit anything (if that's what you meant).

Ok, so I need a better build then?

I tried over the last two years a drow ranger and a dwarf fighter. I liked the fighter more. He used two dwarfen axes or axe and shield when in group. On the other hand, drow have mr and I don't know how important mr is in the game.

I recall being told, that you never get picked for raids if you don't have a proper build.
    What would be a accepted tank build?
    Does being able to solo quests to some degree means that a tank is ruled out?

Other way asked. What would be a accepted build as tank with the ability to solo to some degree?

Ok, so I need a better build then?

I tried over the last two years a drow ranger and a dwarf fighter. I liked the fighter more. He used two dwarfen axes or axe and shield when in group. On the other hand, drow have mr and I don't know how important mr is in the game.

I recall being told, that you never get picked for raids if you don't have a proper build.
    What would be a accepted tank build?
    Does being able to solo quests to some degree means that a tank is ruled out?

Other way asked. What would be a accepted build as tank with the ability to solo to some degree?
    Here's the thing with tanks in ddo, a true tank build is only needed(I say needed loosely as everything has been completed without one) in Tod, LoB, Chrono. Other quests where you might have someone fill the role of tank such as FoT the tank is just a designation of the job and anyone with certain gear and defensive abilities will do the job sometimes better than a true tank.

As far as drow spell resistance, it's helpful at low level and completely 100% useless at high level because of the way monster caster levels work.

It's not literally an exploiting build It's just so good, it looks like you're exploiting (or something, I don't actually know how it got that name, but it really isn't exploiting)

Just ranger levels to get tempest ranger melee stuff, you have free ranged attacking feats because you're ranger and can use a bow pretty well when you need to pull it out, you can do traps, you can heal yourself, it can cover a lot of roles and therefore is nice, especially when you are running into problems finding groups as you say.

It will be best to learn the ropes with an more versatile build, e.g. exploiter, then I guess.

Is this a good one to follow?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1996552

Or half elf? What would change?

Community Member

It will be best to learn the ropes with an more versatile build, e.g. exploiter, then I guess.

Is this a good one to follow?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1996552

Or half elf? What would change?
    I have a ranger build I'm really enjoying, though it has advantages and disadvantages compared to exploiter:

HOrc 12 rng/8 ftr (FotW). He's pure str build, but still has dex and con over 30.

Pros: Better DPS. 12 ranger gives you most everything from a combat perspective that ranger has to offer, including evasion, IPS, manyshot, tempest II and GTWF (100% offhand attack). You can self heal, but mostly out of combat. Being a HOrc str build with ftr past life I have a usable stunning blow (even if it isn't reliable in EE, it's still useful). 5 free feats from fighter makes combat superior.

Cons: cutting ranger levels short means no cure critical and no FoM, I can't do traps, no racial heal amp, and I lose a couple of favored enemies.

I'm not UBER, but running in good pugs (not just ****** ones) I'm usually at or near the lead in kills (for what that's worth), and I can solo most everything on EH. I ran solo BB streak through level 20.

For exploiter HElf is a good choice for heal amp, human versatility, and mostly the paladin dilly, which should give you a nice saves boost, making you a better build for EE.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    the paladin dilly
    Sorry. I don't understand.
    Urban dictionary has a lot interpretations, but none of them make sense in this context.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=dilly&page=1

Let me ask another way around.
    "How do you play this game as new player?"

Started with D&D when it came out 30 years ago and moved to AD&D 2nd Ed. playing it for a long time. Being a fan I brought of course the last expansion which takes place in the Forgotten Realms. Yes, I don't have any char that is high enough to get there. This is something on my to do list.

From my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong, the game works this way:
    Instead of classical classes you can mix races and classes freely with the option to get the best out of a given combination. There where a lot reworked one class builds in the old forum that helped new players to get the rope, but the way how you build your chars changed with the expansion I am told. I tried to follow a Thief/Fighter/Ranger build and realized myself that skills/feats (what ever they are called) changed too. They moved either from classes to a race or or to a sort of general skill tree or they are simply gone.

So now I have Drow Ranger that has some thief and Fighter levels and each time I try to play them it feels like a waste of time. The feeling tho have build the char badly persist during the game play and probably he is badly build indeed. Sure I can run around for hack and slash on lowlevel mops. But it isn't exactly fun and it leads to nowhere.

To play the game I need a char that will be able to play the expansion I bought and hopefully whatever comes next.
    Back to the drawing board then.
    Where can I learn how to make a char?
    Do I need to buy a copy of the D&D rules in order to be able to play this game?
    Last edited by Codebaker; 05-31-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Let me ask another way around.
    "How do you play this game as new player?"
    [...]
    Back to the drawing board then.
    Where can I learn how to make a char?
    Do I need to buy a copy of the D&D rules in order to be able to play this game?
    DDOWiki can help; a lot of useful stuff.

Over the years, the game moved quite a bit away from PnP.

Somewhere in the future (within months?), an enhancement pass is expected to hit live servers and it will probably make obsolete a lot of builds; moreover, future-proofing your build is not that easy, since we have seen only an early-alpha release of those enhancements.

From my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong, the game works this way:
    Instead of classical classes you can mix races and classes freely with the option to get the best out of a given combination.
    You can mix up to 3 different classes; alignment restrictions apply: e.g. paladins need to be lawful good, barbarians any non lawful, thus you cannot roll a barbarian/paladin.

Basics of multiclassing: however, "deep multiclassing" is not advisable for new players.

Sorry. I don't understand.
    Dilettante feats.
    Last edited by Rusty_Can; 05-31-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Double post *sighs*
    Last edited by Rusty_Can; 05-31-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Double post *sighs*
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    DDOWiki can help; a lot of useful stuff.
    That will help a lot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    Somewhere in the future (within months?), an enhancement pass is expected to hit live servers and they will probably make obsolete a lot of builds; moreover, future-proofing your build is not that easy, since we have seen only an early-alpha release of those enhancements.
    So the best choose for me, will be to create a char I feel comfy with and play, whiteout worrying about multi classing. If this Enhancement rolls out I can still repick or whatever options are available.

Thank you very much. Now I see some light at the end.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Started with D&D when it came out 30 years ago and moved to AD&D 2nd Ed. playing it for a long time.
    I still have a copy of this lurking around somewhere, probably buried in my parents' basement where I left it 25+ years ago...old-school D&D nerds REPRESENT!
    Instead of classical classes you can mix races and classes freely with the option to get the best out of a given combination. There where a lot reworked one class builds in the old forum that helped new players to get the rope, but the way how you build your chars changed with the expansion I am told.
    First off, DDO is based on the 3.x ruleset; so what you remember from AD&D no longer really applies. However, they've warped the rules so much over the last six years that it's almost unrecognizable compared to the PnP ruleset too. So you're better off coming to DDO fresh, rather than having any pre-conceived notions based on PnP D&D or other D&D CRPGs. [I came over from NWN 1/2, so it was a big adjustment for me too.]

My suggestion would be to come up with a character concept which appeals to you - bearing in mind that DDO is a game which is 99% about killing monsters and taking their stuff, so don't get too carried away with role-playing ideas - then ask for advice on how to find the right build and how to play it. tihocan's thread is an oldie-but-goodie which can help you see the pros & cons of each class. I wouldn't worry about minmaxing or the Enhancement overhaul Rusty mentions; focus on finding a build which you think you would be comfortable with playing.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I still have a copy of this lurking around somewhere, probably buried in my parents' basement where I left it 25+ years ago...old-school D&D nerds REPRESENT!

First off, DDO is based on the 3.x ruleset; so what you remember from AD&D no longer really applies. However, they've warped the rules so much over the last six years that it's almost unrecognizable compared to the PnP ruleset too. So you're better off coming to DDO fresh, rather than having any pre-conceived notions based on PnP D&D or other D&D CRPGs. [I came over from NWN 1/2, so it was a big adjustment for me too.]

My suggestion would be to come up with a character concept which appeals to you - bearing in mind that DDO is a game which is 99% about killing monsters and taking their stuff, so don't get too carried away with role-playing ideas - then ask for advice on how to find the right build and how to play it. tihocan's thread is an oldie-but-goodie which can help you see the pros & cons of each class. I wouldn't worry about minmaxing or the Enhancement overhaul Rusty mentions; focus on finding a build which you think you would be comfortable with playing.
    Yeah, I discovered the old blue-cover booklet recently in some of my things. I also found my AD&D DM, Players Handbook, and Monster Manual there too.

It is interesting to go back and re-read them all.