Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Since when do poison traps actually do damage?

Did I miss something in an update? I went to Sorrowdusk to do the lvl 8 parts.. cult of the 6 Captives of the Cult and Libram of the 6, and the poison traps were doing like 130 pts in dmg on a failed save.

I remember them poisoning someone who passed through before, but never remember them doing actual damage. This was on elite. It's just confusing, seemed I did it a couple weeks before the update and they did not do damage, but had a rogue with me, so I may be wrong.

Anyone have any enlightenment?

Community Member

I've noticed this in Delera's "Thrall of the Necromancer". Sounds like an Update 18 improvement.

Community Member

Think you're right, wish they had mentioned it in the release notes. **sigh.. heavy sigh**

Community Member

The devs are 4Etards and have added poison as a damage type, but never bothered to properly integrate it into the game with a way to resist it such as adding it to energy resistance. This wouldn't be such an annoying change if it wasn't so unnecessary and doing unavoidable damage wasn't already in the game in half-a-dozen ways.

The Hatchery

I embarrassingly died on (Elite) Redfang the Unruled because of this undocumented change.
    I started breaking some barrels in the room with all the poison traps and suddenly I was hit with heavy damage. Before I realized what was happening I was already dead. So annoying. :/

Bug reported

Quote Originally Posted by jmurdock1417 View Post
    Did I miss something in an update? I went to Sorrowdusk to do the lvl 8 parts.. cult of the 6 Captives of the Cult and Libram of the 6, and the poison traps were doing like 130 pts in dmg on a failed save.

I remember them poisoning someone who passed through before, but never remember them doing actual damage. This was on elite. It's just confusing, seemed I did it a couple weeks before the update and they did not do damage, but had a rogue with me, so I may be wrong.

Anyone have any enlightenment?
    Yep, i just found out the hard way as well (Combat): You suffer 124 points of damage from Trap:Poison. Same place as yourself, first quest in the Sorrowdusk Cult chain
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Community Member

Yes the same thing happened to me also in Redfang the Unruled. I managed to not die, but was incapacitated. I must have had stat damage because I went from -2 hp to 20ish.

It's no big deal I just won't worry about the breakables in that room next time and possibly get 5% less xp tacked on to base for not getting ransack. It should be easy enough to jump over the traps on top.

I used poison neutralization potions instead of moving out of the trap and that was my mistake because it didn't appear to do anything unless there is a hidden effect and I just missed my save.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

it was about time poison traps act actually like traps.. till now noone cared walkin through them orso. just drink a pot n all good. yeah.. scary trap indeed!!

EDIT: i forgot to mention, i saw a trap like this on Fleshmakers also. u know that poison trap that u alwayz walked through it.. well now it has no box and it can kill!
    Last edited by nikos1313; 05-28-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    Proud officer of The Balance, in Khyber
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing
    My trade list: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-My-Trade-List

I'm on the fence about the change. It's nice that poison traps are actually a threat now. That much I like. I dislike that it wasn't in the release notes. However, I've gotten used to the fact that the people over at Turbine have no clue what actually makes it into an update and their lines of communication are so messed up that something like this very easily gets left out of the notes.

I also don't like that neutralize poison (spell) seems to have no effect whatsoever on poison damage. By the wording on the spell, you should still be immune to poison damage if the spell also does stat damage. This is not the case. Again, I'm not surprised that something as simple as a text description was left unupdated. The turnaround time for text updates is typically 6+ months in cases like these. I also dislike that it seems to have no effect on mobs, whether living or undead. Very cheesy. I hate traps that only damage players unless there is a good reason for it.

As it wasn't in the release notes, I'll also be bug reporting the change. It's not that I don't like it, but if it's not in the notes, it's not wai. (my lawful neutral personality in my head I guess)
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Since D&D 4th edition. Har har har.

Heh, noticed this too, in redfang elite. The dwarf barb ran through the poison trap room and got himself killed pretty quickly.

However my warforged could dance in the traps as usual and get the blue splash and "immune" pop up over his head. :P

(Bet that's cause the poison those traps spew is natural though, if I remember right wf aren't immune to magical poisons any more.)
    "Kobold strong!"

Damn. Now if only we had something like a... hmm.. 'Proof against Poison' item that gave immunity to Natural poisons.

Oh wait, we do and its broke.

Oh wait, there is no such thing as 'natural' poison anymore, all poison is now supernatural, even Arsenic.

A wizard did it.
    Last edited by visibleman; 05-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

Kind of ironic, that poison used to be more dangerous the first few years of the game, and it was their own nerf, where stat damage doesnt really kill you or make you literally helpless like it used to, that caused poison traps to be harmless for 4 years. Then they want to make poison dangerous again.

Back when stat damage didnt come off every minute and 0 in a stat was really really bad, poison traps were actually something to be afraid of.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Yes the same thing happened to me also in Redfang the Unruled. I managed to not die, but was incapacitated. I must have had stat damage because I went from -2 hp to 20ish.
    When you recover from incapacitation, you now gain 20% of your hitpoints. It was in the release notes, but with the forums how they are, many overlooked it.

It was interesting doing that first hezrou & drider loot run in EE trial by fury I must say....
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Community Member

Default I thought Poison got a bump

Yeah, Glad to see this confirmed. Running my rogue through Thrall elite yesturday. Complete party wipe on the poison traps in the hall. My rogue died 3 times. Made me feel very inadiquate. The damage reminds me of the last trap update where all the elite traps became so deadly.

Word to the wise. They do not look resistable or avoidable. Jumping over is the only option just dont forget to jump. Oh, go around the wall on the first one.

Ps. I don't feel so inadiquate now.

making poison a damage type its a right step IMHO

for instance that poison trap in ww near the shrine is a joke
    Last edited by remember1; 05-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.

I partly agree with some in a way its about time that poison got a bump but ***....was running necro4 quests, forget which one but think it was Fleshmaker not 100% and nearly died as i didn't know they had either been glitched or bumped at the time. I had a poison item on and yet was hit with a nearly 180 damage plus the stat damage. The poison item was the spider mask and a immunity to poison necklace. There is also the instance that the cure poison spell doesn't work and restoration does not remove the stat damage nor does heal as well
    Don't be fooled life is a game and there is no cheat codes or glitches just really mad devs getting even with us all

On the flip side, Ninja's get to inflict poison damage! :P
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast