Default Iconics and Reincarnation, a Possible Oversight found? Or a flaw in Reincarnation?

Having read and re-read the U18 Iconics Developer Diary several Times (found here: http://www.ddo.com/en/articles/u18-i...eveloper-diary).

While I can understand the restrictions of not letting Iconics or any new class TR right away, I just can't seem to grasp any shred of logic behind the temporary restriction on Lesser Reincarnation on Iconics at their launch.

For years the community had been asking for a way to respect a character, without resorting to the "tried and true" Delete & Re-Roll method. After years of begging we received the Reincarnation system. Lesser & Greater Reincarnation were the Respec option we had been asking for.

So having fiddled around with my Bladeforged a little bit, I recognized a few things I wish I had done differently and which would help me really enjoy the character more, particularly re-allocating some of my attributes. Without going into the details, I do not wish to delete him now, especially since at some undetermined point in the future I will be able to LR him (at least according to the Dev Diary linked above. The problem is, I really wish I could LR him right now. In my particular case I don't need to switch any levels around, so I do not need a +X LR Heart of Wood, and Bladeforged are already 32 point builds, so I don't need to a Greater Heart of any kind. And as I said before, and the Dev's have made clear in their Diary, they would like people to "play and mess around" with the Iconics before they let us TR them. That part makes sense, as they would be easy first lives.

But what is wrong with letting Iconics and/or other New Classes use a plain old Lesser Heart, with no level swapping right out of the gate? Is the whole Reincarnation system an all or nothing proposition, meaning it is on or off? The Dev Diary comment leads me to believe that this is not the case. Are the Lesser/Greater Reincarnation systems all or nothing, meaning it is on or off, and you cannot seperate out the plain +0 level switching features from the +1, +3 or +5 level switching feature?

Unfortunately I do not remember all the specifics of the Reincarnation system imposed when Druids or Artificers first Launched, other than that you could not TR right away.

Community Manager

The development work that will allow Iconic Heroes to Lesser Reincarnate is simply not completed yet, which is why it is not currently available. It is something being worked on though.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

I'm guessing the additional tweaks to the TR system are to ensure that the mandatory level 1 class tied to each Iconic class (Paladin in the case of Bladeforged) remains locked. That way you can't Greater or True Reincarnate a Bladeforged into a pure class other than Paladin or mix in alignment-restricted splashes.
    Frets warchanter ¤ Humbucking trapper ¤ Coercive warlock ¤ Hemolytic paladin ¤ Thwart twig ¤ Incise ex-ranger ¤ Carpal monk ¤ Tiagan druid ¤ Unhealer cleric
    Leader, ~Elite Raiders~ of Khyber ...

Thanks. But what Development work needs to be done? How is LR'ing (GR'ing or TR'ing) an Iconic any different than any other Race or class? Since we do not know the code, we the community can't begin to fathom why this isn't possible without any additional work.

If each class and or Race has to be program individually to Reincarnate separately, then that sounds like a seriously flawed system. I do not recall the same being true for Druids when they launched. I do recall being told that they wanted the players to level them up organically before they turned on Vet Status or Reincarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steiner-Davion View Post
    Thanks. But what Development work needs to be done? How is LR'ing (GR'ing or TR'ing) an Iconic any different than any other Race or class? Since we do not know the code, we the community can't begin to fathom why this isn't possible without any additional work.

If each class and or Race has to be program individually to Reincarnate separately, then that sounds like a seriously flawed system. I do not recall the same being true for Druids when they launched. I do recall being told that they wanted the players to level them up organically before they turned on Vet Status or Reincarnation.
    i think the point you're missing is we never had any other thing where the first level your forced to be a class and race at same time. this is where iconics are different. So im sure there is a system needed to make sure that the 1st level will always be that class. So it cant be switched out. if you could that kinda defeats the purpose of bladesworn imo.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    i think the point you're missing is we never had any other thing where the first level your forced to be a class and race at same time. this is where iconics are different. So im sure there is a system needed to make sure that the 1st level will always be that class. So it cant be switched out. if you could that kinda defeats the purpose of bladesworn imo.
    Yeah, but that is what the Plain Lesser and Greater Hearts are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The development work that will allow Iconic Heroes to Lesser Reincarnate is simply not completed yet, which is why it is not currently available. It is something being worked on though.
    This is good news. At least you will be able to fix build mistakes retroactively then. Good to know it's in the queue.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.